1) Yea, Drew McIntyre!! I've been a fan since he was first working dark matches, the first time he was with WW[F|E]. After all the various shit Vince has put him through ("Three Man Band"? Oy.) ... it's soooo his time!!
Looks like I'll have to go back to recording Raw, since evidently there'll be good parts to FF to!!
2) It's probably as well that I accidentally got spoilered (by twitter - my fault). I think if I hadn't known, when Edge's theme hit, my head would have exploded. Even knowing, it was really awesome. He's always been way-way high on my all-time favourites list!
I wonder how much AEW offered them. :-) Either way, the more Vince has to spend, the better it is for business!!!
I seriously hope that he's really OK to work. He looks amazing. Also can't wait to see the interviews that talk about what changed so that it's possible for him to be cleared. There was a tweet from Paige to the effect of "gives you hope".
3) I love it when Brock is amused. That whole beginning section was hilarious.
4) Also always happy to see Beth Phoenix, particularly when she teams up with Nattie. Beth's reaction to Santina was a fun throwback. Also fun to see Molly make an appearance.
4a) Hopefully Lawler had a change of undies, since it seemed like he was messing himself over Kelly-Kelly.
4b) They still have a surfeit of "Vince's type" who are pretty bad workers. Unfortunate. (At least they also have some good women workers -- it's still better than it once was.)
5) Since I haven't been watching, it's good to see that Bailey has seriously moved away from the "Hugger" gimmick, & is doing well selling a serious character. Also glad that they've toned down the "Stupid Sassy Silly Sexy Southern Belle" bullshit for Lacey. She's actually a good worker (still improving, but excellent potential), who shouldn't need to deal with that nonsense. I thought their work was good in that match.
6) I like Becky lots. I like Asuka. Not sure why I wasn't more engaged in their match -- it was good. Although Asuka misting herself was very nice!
Overall, I'm glad that there were some matches worth watching.
I've only watched the two Rumble matches, to be fair.
I enjoyed the women's match but the Santina gag ruined it for me. We've been beaten over the head with the Stephanie McMahon #WomensRevolution bit for years, but using a bad 2009 drag gimmick instead of one of the capable WOMEN on the roster was rough. Need comedy? You have the IIconics who are great and you haven't done a thing with in months! Need another woman? Rhea Ripley was IN THE BUILDING.
I'm kinda meh on Drew, he's never really taken off for me, but at least it's something different. Didn't mind the Brock smash half, but I wish they would've moved John Morrison to the back half instead of having him last ten seconds. Why are new viewers supposed to care about this hyped up guy when he can't last ten seconds in the Rumble in his third match back?
My son will be ten years old this June. I gave him a board name him before his birth (I think) as DolphDrew Jericho Tracker, so I've been looking forward to McIntyre's ascension for a LONG time. I am delighted by it, and he seems to have emerged as his own character at just the right time.
He was booked perfectly for this match, dispatching Brock when the gimmick went on too long, eating finishers in the last ten minutes, and dumping the presumed winner. If Paul had clients beyond Brock, it would be nice to see Drew run their gauntlet leading up to Mania. Brock sold his exit like the 20-year veteran he is. He was superb.
Loved seeing Edge and Beth and MOLLY HOLLY. Bianca looked like she needs to move up to the main rosters, and Naomi looked like a title contender.
Daniel Bryan is a miracle worker.
Lacey needs to form a tag team to build up her ring skills. She didn't look ready out there.
"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
Honestly, I've never really been sold on McIntyre, but I'm glad somebody different won this year. I truly hated the men's Rumble. Having Brock kill half the roster, including Keith Lee, Braun (again), Kofi, and Kofi plus as many friends as they could put out there with him, didn't do anybody any favors in my opinion. It just made every non-Brock look like a joke, all while Brock himself looked like the exertion of a mild pace for 20 minutes might literally kill him. Seriously, go back and look at him right before Ricochet comes out; it looks like his lung might collapse, unless he sweats himself to death first.
I liked the women's Rumble quite a bit more, even if Charlotte is an underwhelming choice (especially vs. Baszler). The Santina stuff didn't bother me too much, although I definitely don't see it as a great choice, and even if they were dead-set on doing it, they should have done it earlier in the match instead of at the end, when things were getting serious. Everything else worked for me, and Charlotte is a choice that makes some sense.