The W
Views: 168914599
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Color chart | Log in for more!
1.2.16 2024
The 7 - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - #3 returns. Yay? Nay?
This thread has 4 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
(33 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (13 total)
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 137

Posts: 4791/5007
EXP: 30747121
For next: 125812

Since: 20.6.02

Since last post: 2894 days
Last activity: 2888 days
#1 Posted on 21.1.14 1045.07
Reposted on: 21.1.21 1045.09
Som Austin Dillon will be running a fulltime Cup schedule using the #3, the same number that Dale Sr. made famous all those years ago.

I honestly would have preferred to see the number retired. I mean, I'm really associating the #3 with Dale Sr, who was legendary in his own right. Anyone else who takes on the number will arguably be compared to the original driver, but still. I liken it to someone donning the #99 in the NHL - that will always be Gretzky's number.

They should have retired the #43 after Petty retired, too.

For interests sake, one of the major sponsors of the #3 will be Dow Chemical. As well, Dale Jr. has given his blessing to seeing the #3 return, too.

I'd be curious to know everyone's opinion of this.

EDIT: Factual error removed.

(edited by Oliver on 21.1.14 1215)

(edited by Oliver on 21.1.14 1527)
Promote this thread!
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 237

Posts: 15779/17635
EXP: 205820111
For next: 2159129

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 17 hours
ICQ:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on 21.1.14 1224.12
Reposted on: 21.1.21 1229.02
    Originally posted by Oliver
    Childress has suggested that he wouldn't put the #3 out there unless an Earnhardt family member was driving it, and in this case, Dillon is a grandson of Earnhardt Sr.
You're bad at NASCAR.
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 137

Posts: 4793/5007
EXP: 30747121
For next: 125812

Since: 20.6.02

Since last post: 2894 days
Last activity: 2888 days
#3 Posted on 21.1.14 1313.21
Reposted on: 21.1.21 1319.25
    Originally posted by CRZ
      Originally posted by Oliver
      Childress has suggested that he wouldn't put the #3 out there unless an Earnhardt family member was driving it, and in this case, Dillon is a grandson of Earnhardt Sr.
    You're bad at NASCAR.
My results at NASCAR fantasy nonwithstanding, I see where I made my error there.
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 135

Posts: 4662/4750
EXP: 28727639
For next: 607442

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 2564 days
Last activity: 2142 days
Y!:
#4 Posted on 21.1.14 1438.03
Reposted on: 21.1.21 1438.22
    Originally posted by Oliver
    Som Ty Dillon will be running a fulltime Cup schedule using the #3, the same number that Dale Sr. made famous all those years ago.


    Originally posted by Oliver
    EDIT: Factual error removed.


One down, one to go.
Oliver
Scrapple
Level: 137

Posts: 4794/5007
EXP: 30747121
For next: 125812

Since: 20.6.02

Since last post: 2894 days
Last activity: 2888 days
#5 Posted on 21.1.14 1628.53
Reposted on: 21.1.21 1629.01
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
      Originally posted by Oliver
      Som Ty Dillon will be running a fulltime Cup schedule using the #3, the same number that Dale Sr. made famous all those years ago.


      Originally posted by Oliver
      EDIT: Factual error removed.


    One down, one to go.
...and the moral of the story is: don't post threads while suffering and recovering from Vertigo.
AWArulz
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 3232/3904
EXP: 21368959
For next: 467703

Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 23 days
Last activity: 23 days
Y!:
#6 Posted on 22.1.14 1934.58
Reposted on: 22.1.21 1935.52
I am all about the 3 coming back to Sprint Cup.

I am mot a fan of retired numbers in general, but especially in this case. Earnhardt ran the 15 and the 2 in a lot of races of course, won championships in both, I think.
Yeah, I think he won 5 in the 3.

I mean, I think there are a couple numbers no one else should wear or use in a sport or team.

42 - just because of how Jackie Robinson changed baseball.

and I agree with whoever said the 43 should be retired. Without the 43 no one would be able to spell Nascar.

and, maybe, just maybe, a few of the greatest players on teams. 3 on the Yankees, 21 on the Pirates, 6 on the Cardinals. I might be done.

TheBucsFan
TheChiefsFan
Level: 117

Posts: 3377/3428
EXP: 17612509
For next: 235439

Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3096 days
Last activity: 3096 days
#7 Posted on 23.1.14 1013.29
Reposted on: 23.1.21 1014.53
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    I am all about the 3 coming back to Sprint Cup.

    I am mot a fan of retired numbers in general, but especially in this case. Earnhardt ran the 15 and the 2 in a lot of races of course, won championships in both, I think.
    Yeah, I think he won 5 in the 3.

    I mean, I think there are a couple numbers no one else should wear or use in a sport or team.

    42 - just because of how Jackie Robinson changed baseball.

    and I agree with whoever said the 43 should be retired. Without the 43 no one would be able to spell Nascar.

    and, maybe, just maybe, a few of the greatest players on teams. 3 on the Yankees, 21 on the Pirates, 6 on the Cardinals. I might be done.




I don't think I'd go quite as extreme as you, but I agree with the sentiment. Retiring numbers is way, way overdone. I was recently, for the first time in several years, at a home basketball game for my alma mater, a university that has won a total of one conference tournament and not much else of note in its history; I looked up at one point and saw the team had three numbers retired. What??

In professional sports, too, it needs to slow down. But man, you gotta have Ted Williams on your list if you have Stan Musial. I love Musial, but it's Ted Williams!

I also think the idea of retiring Earnhardt's number, like that of Clemente (who made your list), is equal parts acknowledging his greatness but also commemorating the unfortunate ways their careers ended. But I'd stop short of saying they should retire the 3 car, because I don't actually watch the sport.

(edited by TheBucsFan on 23.1.14 1117)
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 135

Posts: 4664/4750
EXP: 28727639
For next: 607442

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 2564 days
Last activity: 2142 days
Y!:
#8 Posted on 23.1.14 1656.57
Reposted on: 23.1.21 1657.06
I think if Richard Childress wasn't involved there wouldn't be a 3 car. And I don't think if the current 43 was with the Petty racing organization this entire time there would be a 43. NASCAR owns the numbers. They give them out to the teams. It's pretty much entirely up to them.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there is no 28 car right now. Maybe if a big team wanted to take it they would get permission from NASCAR to use it, but I don't think if we started The W-Racing™ and we wanted 28 (or 3 or 43) that NASCAR would let us have it.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator
Level: 237

Posts: 15783/17635
EXP: 205820111
For next: 2159129

Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 17 hours
ICQ:  
Y!:
#9 Posted on 23.1.14 2131.15
Reposted on: 23.1.21 2134.31
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
    I think if Richard Childress wasn't involved there wouldn't be a 3 car. And I don't think if the current 43 was with the Petty racing organization this entire time there would be a 43. NASCAR owns the numbers. They give them out to the teams. It's pretty much entirely up to them.

    I don't think it's a coincidence that there is no 28 car right now. Maybe if a big team wanted to take it they would get permission from NASCAR to use it, but I don't think if we started The W-Racing™ and we wanted 28 (or 3 or 43) that NASCAR would let us have it.
Big Brian Keselowski put in for the 29 and the 8, yet ended up 92 again, so I'm sure you've nailed it.
AWArulz
Scrapple
Level: 124

Posts: 3233/3904
EXP: 21368959
For next: 467703

Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 23 days
Last activity: 23 days
Y!:
#10 Posted on 24.1.14 0635.34
Reposted on: 24.1.21 0635.46
It's a little different for individual teams. I agree with the Splendid Splinter too. And a few others.

The 3 was retired by the team for 13 years, but now it is bringing it back as Childress has the rights to that number (as Yates had rights to the 28 until they hung it up). But I guess, ultimately, if the Yanks wanted to put the 3 on Masahiro Tanaka, they could. But Baseball has retired the 42 (now that the Sandman is gone no one will wear it again except on Jackie Robinson day).
JayJayDean
Scrapple
Level: 135

Posts: 4669/4750
EXP: 28727639
For next: 607442

Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 2564 days
Last activity: 2142 days
Y!:
#11 Posted on 24.1.14 0900.51
Reposted on: 24.1.21 0902.21
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    But I guess, ultimately, if the Yanks wanted to put the 3 on Masahiro Tanaka, they could.


They absolutely could. Ever hear of Frank Tripucka? His number was retired by the Denver Broncos. That number? 18.
TheBucsFan
TheChiefsFan
Level: 117

Posts: 3378/3428
EXP: 17612509
For next: 235439

Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3096 days
Last activity: 3096 days
#12 Posted on 24.1.14 0913.52
Reposted on: 24.1.21 0913.59
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
      Originally posted by AWArulz
      But I guess, ultimately, if the Yanks wanted to put the 3 on Masahiro Tanaka, they could.


    They absolutely could. Ever hear of Frank Tripucka? His number was retired by the Denver Broncos. That number? 18.


Wow, thanks for mentioning this, I never knew it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/​​wiki/​​Frank_​​Tripucka

He wasn't especially great or anything, but he was the team's first starting quarterback when the AFL kicked off. He also announced before the Manning deal that he would be OK with the team allowing Manning to wear 18 if he signed with them; I assume that Manning would opt not to wear it if Tripucka had objected. At the risk of overthinking this: What if Tripucka hadn't been alive (sad note: he died earlier this season)? What if Manning had worn No. 7 with the Colts? In the former, it's a pretty tricky question, because I feel like I can't help but feel like he only has his number retired on a technicality, but I still think Manning would probably opt to wear another number. No way in either case if it's a legend like Elway's number.

None of that is saying a team couldn't put whatever number on whomever it wishes, obviously they can, but in the current sports climate it would be seen as pretty disrespectful. It's sadly not in this case because nobody has ever heard of Tripucka.

EDIT: I also am wondering though, if the only officially retired number (according to Wikipedia) is one of a NASCAR driver that died in an accident on the track, why wouldn't Earnhardt's be officially retired as well then? Seems a little odd.

(edited by TheBucsFan on 24.1.14 1020)
Peter The Hegemon
Lap cheong
Level: 88

Posts: 1557/1777
EXP: 6398332
For next: 252358

Since: 11.2.03
From: Hackettstown, NJ

Since last post: 33 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#13 Posted on 24.1.14 2237.20
Reposted on: 24.1.21 2238.31
Vancouver never officially retired #11, but it was taken out of circulation after the death of Wayne Maki in 1974. (Maki was one of the team's early stars, but he got brain cancer and died at the age of 29.) Then the Canucks signed Mark Messier in 1997 and gave him the number. The Maki family was outraged and a lot of Canucks fans were very unhappy.
ALL ORIGINAL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Thread ahead: Derby
Next thread: curling
Previous thread: UFC 168 results
(33 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Related threads: Newman Makes the Chase - Newman in - how? - Tony Stewart breaks leg, out of Watkins Glen - More...
The 7 - Sports that aren't Baseball, Football, Basketball, or Hockey - #3 returns. Yay? Nay?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board - 7 year recycle

ZimBoard
©2001-2023 Brothers Zim
This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.145 seconds.