The W
Views: 97760421
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
28.7.14 1951
The W - Print - Your New Friendly Neighborhood Ultimate Spider-Man
This thread has 8 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.86
Pages: 1 2 Next
(173 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (28 total)
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 30 days
Last activity: 30 days
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.06
New Spider-Man is half-black, half-Hispanic Miles Morales (popwatch.ew.com)

EW already hit the first thought that crossed my mind - that this now enables Community's Donald Glover to potentially play Spidey in a re-reboot.



@BackoftheHead

www.backofthehead.com
Promote this thread!
Matt Tracker
Scrapple








Since: 8.5.03
From: North Carolina

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.28
I'm curious about how he gets and uses his powers and exactly what his motivation is. Just because he saw Parker's last hurrah via YouTube doesn't mean he is personally sparked by Parker's death. Who does he feel the "great responsibility" for?

But I'd buy the book for Pichelli's art alone. This new mystery is a curious icing on the cake of a new Spidey cake.

His ethnic background, so far, means nothing in my understanding of Spidey. That's a cosmetic change, as much as the still-continuing trend of making female versions of established characters. The costume and webs and one-liners make Spidey a comic character. His adherence to his credo is what makes him a hero.



"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.84
You know, if they really wanted to pander to ethnic fanbases, I'm sure Miguel O'Hara's sitting in the Ultimate U somewhere.




"I brought SCIENCE!"
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 4 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.83
I'll be the racist here. This sucks. Its pandering to an idea of we need more non-white guys. I respect that idea, but it doesn't mean we have to shit on what we have. When the X-Men reboot happened they didn't turn Jean into Storm or Scott into Banshee. They created interesting characters that while had ethnic backgrounds, they were humans first. Thats why those New X-Men characters were awesome. They had traits more then their race or nationality.

If you want a half-black, half-Hispanic hero, write one. Your Michael Bendis, Powers is going to be a TV show for God's sake, you can pitch a comic book like and it will get picked up. I am not a fan of throwing out the white characters in for non-white characters. If we did the reverse it would be called racism and rightful so.



The Wee Baby Sheamus.





Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
Scottyflamingo
Bratwurst








Since: 23.6.10
From: Auburn, AL

Since last post: 375 days
Last activity: 103 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.77
Agreed, it is PC pandering. I didn't mind black Nick Fury, but this really seems like they are trying to hit all the demos. And just to show it isn't a race thing, I thought it was stupid when they made Azrael Batman so that he could be EDGY in the 90's.

But I think it is dumb to have a non-Peter Spider-man, so what do I know? The Ultimate line has been unreadable since Ultimatum anyway...
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 30 days
Last activity: 30 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.06
Yeah, but you know, it's just the Ultimate Universe. Ten years ago the Hulk was horny on a rampage and out to rape the Wasp or whoever it was in The Ultimates. I don't mind the idea of a minority Spider-Man. Peter Parker as "the real" Spider-Man in Marvel proper and a different, minority Spider-Man in the Ultimate U makes more sense to me than two Peter Parkers as Spider-Man in two different universes.

And Aquaman should be black. Blaquaman.



@BackoftheHead

www.backofthehead.com
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.71
This isn't "Black Peter Parker," it is someone picking up the mantle of Spider-Man. Spider-Man II, if you will.

This isn't even the main continuity and people are getting so upset. It's basically one big Elseworlds/What If...? universe. Hell, in the main universe, the Wasp went from female to male (Pym) and no one went crazy. I'm in no way arguing that the Wasp is as popular as Spidy.

Characters come and go, they get replaced (Like with Cap in the main universe) and in this big What If? universe, they decided to kill off Spidy and have a kid take over and to try something different, because most heroes are white males, they went in an other direction with a different background that will produce a different version of the web slinger.

Peter had his widowed aunt, and the blood of Ben basically on his hands, and struggling to have a dating life. I'm sure the new kid will have more modern problems to deal with while in highschool.

I'm a HUGE Spider-man fan and if I was still collecting comics, I'd pick it up. For the record, I have hated everything about the Ultimate universe since day one.



-- 2006 Time magazine Person of the Year --
Fuelly
-- July 2009 Ordained Reverend --
samoflange
Lap cheong








Since: 22.2.04
From: Cambridge, MA

Since last post: 285 days
Last activity: 277 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.76
    Originally posted by Zeruel
    I'm a HUGE Spider-man fan

    I have hated everything about the Ultimate universe since day one.


You win a no-prize for being the first Spider-Man fan I have ever seen who didn't like the first few years worth Ultimate Spider-Man books.



Lloyd: When I met Mary, I got that old fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her.
Harry: That's a special feeling.
It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 17 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.84
    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    And Aquaman should be black. Blaquaman.


**nods approvingly** Yes. Yes.

That new kid from Brightest Day and the Young Justice show is close enough. In fact, I'm actually surprised that nobody's called him Blaquaboy until now.




"I brought SCIENCE!"
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 30 days
Last activity: 30 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.06
    Originally posted by It's False
      Originally posted by John Orquiola
      And Aquaman should be black. Blaquaman.


    **nods approvingly** Yes. Yes.

    That new kid from Brightest Day and the Young Justice show is close enough. In fact, I'm actually surprised that nobody's called him Blaquaboy until now.


That should be Blaqualad.



@BackoftheHead

www.backofthehead.com
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.71
    Originally posted by samoflange
      Originally posted by Zeruel
      I'm a HUGE Spider-man fan

      I have hated everything about the Ultimate universe since day one.


    You win a no-prize for being the first Spider-Man fan I have ever seen who didn't like the first few years worth Ultimate Spider-Man books.


I last picked up a comic in April 2000. As I recall, Ultimate Spider-man was only a few issues old.



-- 2006 Time magazine Person of the Year --
Fuelly
-- July 2009 Ordained Reverend --
Scottyflamingo
Bratwurst








Since: 23.6.10
From: Auburn, AL

Since last post: 375 days
Last activity: 103 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.77
    Originally posted by samoflange
      Originally posted by Zeruel
      I'm a HUGE Spider-man fan

      I have hated everything about the Ultimate universe since day one.


    You win a no-prize for being the first Spider-Man fan I have ever seen who didn't like the first few years worth Ultimate Spider-Man books.


*Raises hand*

I really liked the Kingpin arc, but HATED the Green Goblin being an actual Goblin.
odessasteps
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 41 days
Last activity: 8 days
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.97

    Hell, in the main universe, the Wasp went from female to male (Pym) and no one went crazy.


In that instance, Jan died and her ex-husband took the name as tribute/guilt.

If they weren't already making the new Spider-Man movie, this would seem like a trial balloon for casting that black actor (don't know his name) that people thought would be a good choice.

Nerds are so generally so adverse to change that replacing any character (who is someone's favorite) with someone new will cause outrage. Add in the perception of "affirmative action" to established characters and you've got a recipe for clogging the internet.







Mark Coale
Odessa Steps Magazine presents


RUSSIAN FLAG BURIAL - an examination of 1984 mid-south


SchippeWreck
Banger








Since: 26.3.03
From: Glendale, CA

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.84
    Originally posted by lotjx
    I'll be the racist here. This sucks. Its pandering to an idea of we need more non-white guys. I respect that idea, but it doesn't mean we have to shit on what we have. When the X-Men reboot happened they didn't turn Jean into Storm or Scott into Banshee. They created interesting characters that while had ethnic backgrounds, they were humans first. Thats why those New X-Men characters were awesome. They had traits more then their race or nationality.

    If you want a half-black, half-Hispanic hero, write one. Your Michael Bendis, Powers is going to be a TV show for God's sake, you can pitch a comic book like and it will get picked up. I am not a fan of throwing out the white characters in for non-white characters. If we did the reverse it would be called racism and rightful so.

*sigh* Here goes...

He DID create a new character. His name is Miles Morales, and he is taking up the mantle of Spider-Man. You have already, without reading the book, dismissed him as not being interesting. YOU, not the creators, are saying his only trait is being a minority.

Also, it's pretty hard to ignore the fact that you essentially said making Spider-Man black is "shitting on" him.



"It's magic! We don't need to explain it!"
odessasteps
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 41 days
Last activity: 8 days
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.97

In many cases, replacing a black character with a white one would be odd, since their names are often BLACK PANTHER or BLACK GOLIATH or BLACK LIGHTNING.



Mark Coale
Odessa Steps Magazine presents


RUSSIAN FLAG BURIAL - an examination of 1984 mid-south


Mike Zeidler
Pepperoni








Since: 27.6.02
From: Champaign, IL

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.29
White Tiger?



"Tattoos are the mullets of the aughts." - Mike Naimark
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 4 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.83
Green Goblin was the jump the shark moment for me, but I stuck on til the abysmal Carnage killed Gwen Stacy shit. Bendis writes Spiderman very well probably in my top 5, but lets be honest this is ridiculous. Yes, I understand the Ultimate universe is the Whatifverse, but thats not the real complaint. The complaint is they are replacing a character just to pander to the people out there bitching about the all white male world of Marvel and DC which is not that all that white and male. Wonder Woman is considered the big three for DC and Marvel has made a living off of diverse characters since the 1970s.

Spiderman is not a mantle. Batman is a mantle, because other people in the regular universe or in different forms and made it as successful as Bruce. Also, I highly disagree with this, because he is younger or even a minority that somehow his life will mirror today's youth. Bendis already covered all of that. Even so what do today's youth worry about or have problems with that Peter didn't already encounter? Bad Economy? Peter took a job to help pay bills. Broken home? Peter is an orphan. Drugs? Harry Osborn. Teen Pregnancy? Gwen Stacy clones. Social Media? Peter was the IT guy in the early Ultimate. Outcast? Flash Thompson. Minus the IT thing most of this stuff was done in the 60s and 70s even then Bendis updated it in the early days. I don't see the difference.

He made a character replacement. Azbats got panned for it, so why not this guy? He is a minority so that solves everything. Terry McGuiness gets a past due to the setting of the story.

(edited by lotjx on 2.8.11 1733)


The Wee Baby Sheamus.





Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
Captaincuba
Italian








Since: 25.10.05

Since last post: 146 days
Last activity: 21 days
#18 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.40
How are there 2 guys with the proportionate strength, speed, and wall-crawling ability of a spider?

Can someone please explain how he has web-shooters...

Thanks,

CC
odessasteps
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 41 days
Last activity: 8 days
#19 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.97

that's not difficult to explain in the story.

(if the real backstory has been given already, my bad)

Peter was being trained by the Avengers/Ultimates to be a better Spider-man.

I can easily see Stark/Cap/Fury passing on the suit and the shooters to someone new.

And replicating the powers would not be difficult, whether by radio-active spider bite or SHIELD/Stark super science or magic or whatever.




Mark Coale
Odessa Steps Magazine presents


RUSSIAN FLAG BURIAL - an examination of 1984 mid-south


John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 30 days
Last activity: 30 days
#20 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.06
    Originally posted by lotjx
    Green Goblin was the jump the shark moment for me, but I stuck on til the abysmal Carnage killed Gwen Stacy shit. Bendis writes Spiderman very well probably in my top 5, but lets be honest this is ridiculous. Yes, I understand the Ultimate universe is the Whatifverse, but thats not the real complaint. The complaint is they are replacing a character just to pander to the people out there bitching about the all white male world of Marvel and DC which is not that all that white and male. Wonder Woman is considered the big three for DC and Marvel has made a living off of diverse characters since the 1970s.

    Spiderman is not a mantle. Batman is a mantle, because other people in the regular universe or in different forms and made it as successful as Bruce. Also, I highly disagree with this, because he is younger or even a minority that somehow his life will mirror today's youth. Bendis already covered all of that. Even so what do today's youth worry about or have problems with that Peter didn't already encounter? Bad Economy? Peter took a job to help pay bills. Broken home? Peter is an orphan. Drugs? Harry Osborn. Teen Pregnancy? Gwen Stacy clones. Social Media? Peter was the IT guy in the early Ultimate. Outcast? Flash Thompson. Minus the IT thing most of this stuff was done in the 60s and 70s even then Bendis updated it in the early days. I don't see the difference.

    He made a character replacement. Azbats got panned for it, so why not this guy? He is a minority so that solves everything. Terry McGuiness gets a past due to the setting of the story.

    (edited by lotjx on 2.8.11 1733)


So, uh, how do you feel about Laurence Fisnburne cast as Perry White in Zack Snyder's Superman? (herocomplex.latimes.com)



@BackoftheHead

www.backofthehead.com
Pages: 1 2 Next
Thread rated: 5.86
Pages: 1 2 Next
Thread ahead: Digital Comic Pre-orders/Subscriptions?
Next thread: Action Comics #1
Previous thread: DCnU: Superman after Flashpoint
(173 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Wednesday gave us some good comics right before the holiday break. At the top of the list is: BLACKEST NIGHT #5: But first... GREEN LANTERN #48: For completists and those following the whole story, read this BEFORE you start BL #5.
Related threads: Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 announced - Marvel MMO to be subscription-free; Bendis to write - Is Spider-Man worth reading yet? - More...
The W - Print - Your New Friendly Neighborhood Ultimate Spider-ManRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.096 seconds.