The Quick and Dirty for WWE SmackDown 12.12.08 from Bridgeport, CT.
- The show opens with Trips heading down to the ring, but Jeff jumps him from behind, triggering a pull-apart. Vickie comes out to screech at them, but gets knocked down as well. That's your main event for tonight.
Match 1: R-Truth over MVP via rollup in 3:40. MVP got in a lot of offense, which is about the only positive for this match. Post match, he tries to get in the crowd's good graces by appealing to their softer side, but it doesn't work. Kennedy comes out to cut off his mic and make fun of him. Hopefully this leads to a feud where MVP will finally win something.
- We get a promo from Hade Vansen (en.wikipedia.org), debuting a yet-unnamed character based upon Chris Daniels' fallen angel gimmick. The promo was mostly gibberish and sounded like a C-movie script. Vansen is an Englishman with experience in FWA and FCW.
- Backstage, THE Brian Kendrick hits on the Bella Twins unsuccessfully. The Colons get in his face about it, but Zeke comes out at the opportune moment to look menacing, leading to...
Match 2: THE Brian Kendrick over Primo Colon via Kick to the Head and rollup in 7:29. Primo lost when Zeke provided a distraction. I'm always up for THE Brian in long matches, and although this started out slow, it picked up heat along the way. The crowd was into the finish as well, and had some nice dueling chants going.
Non-Title: Hurricane Helms over Shelton Benjamin via Flying crossbody in 4:48. This saw some nice, sharp, back-and-forth action. Helms makes a veiled challenge for the US title, which I suppose will materialize as the reported match at Armageddon. However, his "I'm not saying, I'm just saying!" catchphrase sucks.
Cutting Edge: Edge says he's sick and tired of people blaming him for the ambush on Jeff Hardy. The guest tonight is Matt Hardy, who comes out to...blame him for the ambush on Jeff Hardy. Edge says he only took the opportunity, while it was Triple H who had the most to lose at SS. Matt calls him the "scummiest" person he knows. Probably true. Edge turns the tables on Matt, claiming the only reason he's got involved in this is that people care about Jeff, while no one gives a damn about Matt. That's a nice angle. Talking is not Matt's strong point, so he decks Edge. Vladimir Kozlov heads down to beat the shit out of him, however, and achieves just that.
Match 4: The Great Khali over Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder via Tree Slam in 1:19. This was filler. I used to think Hawkins' name was Cliff and not Curt. Was it always Curt?
- Backstage, Trips talks to Eve, who looks a strange shade of orange tonight. Trips says that he isn't to be blamed for the Jeff incident because: 1. He doesn't need to take out Jeff and 2. If he had, Jeff wouldn't be here today. Can't fault that logic. He promises to run Jeff down tonight.
- We hit the Vault to find Mr. Kennedy v Shawn Michaels from Armageddon 2007. That match has a nice story and a cool sudden ending that fits right in. Do they have these "From The Vault" segments over in the States?
Match 5: The Bella Twins over Maryse and Natalya when one of the twins rolled up Natalya in 4:49. I like Maryse's asshole arrogant bitch character, and Nattie (unsurprisingly) is one of the cleanest divas in the ring, so I have no problem with this team. The Bella Twins, however, should not be on my TV at all, much less getting more time than MVP.
Aside: Rumors have it that Victoria is retiring soon, and I for one will definitely miss her.
- Backstage, Vlad talks to Eve. He sounds too much like Frankenstein for me to take him seriously. Vlad promises to eat Matt Hardy at Armageddon and then "he want championship." JR calls him intense, though to me he looked like a mixture of constipated and drugged.
Triple H and Jeff Hardy battled to a no-contest in 16:08. Awesome match that had the crowd going haywire. This was heading into **** category when Edge attacked both of them for the Sportz Entertainment(tm) finish.
- End Show.
Wrestling Counter: 38 minutes.
** Another good SmackDown, with an unreally hot main event. It was a great go-home show for the PPV this sunday, advancing, in some way, all the storylines going on the blue brand currently.
Forfeit the game, before somebody else takes you outta the game, and puts your name to shame Cover up your face, you can't run the race The pace is too fast, you just won't last - "Points Of Authority" - Linkin Park
First time in a couple weeks I've been home on Saturday night. But it's a busy weekend so it'll be very quick and dirty. We start with some talk from the announcers and quickie promos for the trios main event.