The W
Views: 97766098
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
28.7.14 2352
The W - Baseball - Why I'm a White Sox fan
This thread has 130 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.62
Pages: 1
(817 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (18 total)
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 5 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.46
It's hard sometimes being a White Sox fan with all the attention paid to the "lovable" Cubbies and their curse and their beautiful but totally non-functional stadium. Sometimes I think to myself "I should just cross over to that side. It looks so much more fun."

Then they do stuff like this, and I remember that there's no way I could ever be a part of them:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1992179

A brief summary of that link...to try and end the curse, they are now going to eat the remnants of the "Bartman Ball". Oohhhhkay.



Promote this thread!
Bullitt
Shot in the dark








Since: 11.1.02
From: Houston

Since last post: 18 days
Last activity: 18 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.53
I figured it was cause you're such a huge Ron Kittle fan...



New Blog Site...I'm out to prove I've got nothing to prove
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 9 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.99
I thought it was because of his love for polyester shorts and butterfly collars.
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 5 days
AIM:  
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.46
Bah, you're trapped in 1977. Every knows now that all White Sox fans are white trash who are jealous of the the fact everyone loves the Cubs. And according to the sages at places like The Heckler, we buy all our wife-beaters second hand using Camel Cash as a form of payment. It's called the "William Ligue" look.



NickBockwinkelFan
Frankfurter








Since: 10.4.02
From: New York City, NY

Since last post: 835 days
Last activity: 63 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.30
Why am I a White Sox Fan?

Two Words:

Harold Baines

Career Numbers:
Average: .291
HR: 384 41st all-time (Evans 385)
RBI: 1628 21st all-time (Banks 1636)
Hits: 2866 37th all-time (Ruth 2873)
TB: 4604 27th all-time (Simmons 4685)
Walks: 1062
Runs: 1296
SLG: .465
2B: 488 43rd all-time (Vernon 490)

Harold was my favorite as a kid and his numbers speak for themselves. Baines was a total pro and an excellent right fielder for 8 seasons until the knee injury. Harold was a lethal hitter and one of the best clutch RBI men in baseball history.

Here are a few of the other reasons I love the Sox:

Dick Allen (I enjoy 500 ft homers...without steroids)

Wilbur Wood winning 20 plus and losing 20 plus each year (Jesus the guy threw 350 plus innings every year)

Carlos May (playing his ass off, even though he blew his thumb off in a mortar accident in Vietnam)

Chet Lemon patroling center field and ripping line drives all over the place

Ralph Garr

1977 South Side Hitmen (one year rentals Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble almost lead the Sox to playoffs for first time since 1959...fucking George Brett)

Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall broadcasting the games (until the genius ownership let Harry leave for the Cubs...THE FUCKING CUBS)

Jorge Orta (slick fielding SS/2B who Harry always called Georgie)

Bob Lemon as manager

Larry Doby as manager

Jim Kaat

Amazing mexican food under the third base stands (churros and elephant ears for dessert)

The Bard's Room

Bill Veeck's wooden leg

The ashtray in Bill Veeck's wooden leg

Number 72 Carlton Fisk (first legitimate superstar since Dick Allen)

Minnie Minoso playing in five decades

Greg Luzinski (roof shots anyone)

Winning Ugly (the 1983 Playoffs are the root of my unbridled hatred of Cal Ripken Jr)

Fisk taking his sweet fucking time to call a game (get some sun, have an Italian beef and line up the Old Styles)

Fisk and Seaver working four hour games (the slowest battery in the history of baseball)

Nancy Faust on organ

Lem's BBQ on 75th Street after the game

Sheets of ice on the stairs opening day

Old Comiskey

Andy the Clown (GO...WHITE...SOXXXXXX)


(edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 17.2.05 0231)

"Well, you can't involve friendship with business. It has to be one or the other. It's either business or friendship, or hit the bricks!"
--Life Lessons from "The Tao of Bobby the Brain Heenan" Uncensored 2000 preview


"As long as the check don't bounce, I guess he's okay with it!"
--Former All Pro Giants LB Harry Carson on Bill Parcells joining the hated rival Dallas Cowboys

Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1183 days
Last activity: 980 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
At least the proceeds are going to the JDRF....



The Thrill
Banger








Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 103 days
Last activity: 88 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.25
Thanks for a great season, Pick of the Week fans...see you next year at Planet Magic in Denmark, WI!

Will you miss this man?



Enjoy Scott Posednik and Luis Vizcaino...we did.




Star wipe, and...we're out.
Thrillin' ain't easy.



THE THRILL
ACW-NWA Wisconsin
Home Video Technical Director...&
A2NWO 4 Life!
(Click the big G to hear the Packers Fight Song in RealAudio...or try .MP3, .AU, or .WAV!)
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 5 days
AIM:  
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.46
    Originally posted by The Thrill
    Will you miss this man?



    Enjoy Scott Posednik and Luis Vizcaino...we did.


I'm sure we'll enjoy having a real lead-off man and a veteran relief guy. Oh yeah, and the #3 pitcher (Orlando Hernandez) and the veteran 2B Japanese import (Tadahito Iguchi) and the best hitting catcher we've had since Fisk (A.J. Pierzynski) all of whom we never could have signed if we had to deal with Lee's contract. So yeah, since the trade basically worked out to:
Starting Catcher
Starting 2B
Starting LF
#3 starter
#3 reliever

for

Starting LF

I would say it'll do well. I loved Lee, and I have no doubt the Brewers will be very happy with their acquisition, and I hope he slaughters the Cubs every time he plays them just like he did in the Crosstown games. But we had a lot of holes to fill, and that trade filled them.



cfgb
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Since last post: 48 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.87
Why am I a White Sox Fan?

All that, and you forget Bobby Thigpen....



Contact cfgb
Visit SHOOTING STAR PRESS, home of wrestling columns
Teppan-Yaki
Pepperoni








Since: 28.6.02

Since last post: 851 days
Last activity: 821 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.16
spf won't admit to it, but he *is* a closet LaMarr Hoyt fan.

I'm going to try and stay off the overly optimistic bandwagon for the preseason. I get my hopes up too high as usual, and they get dashed yearly. I'm going to be realistic and I think the Sox can be over .500, but I don't think they'll win the division.

I pray I'm wrong on the latter.



spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 5 days
AIM:  
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.72
I have only one thing to say to this:





NickBockwinkelFan
Frankfurter








Since: 10.4.02
From: New York City, NY

Since last post: 835 days
Last activity: 63 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.62
    Originally posted by spf
    I have only one thing to say to this:




Karko's rise into the starting line-up was brought about by one of the worst General Managerial moves of all time (perpetrated by Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson):


FISK IN LEFT!!


Just thinking about it makes me queasy all over again.

Brutal.

(edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 24.2.05 1752)


"Well, you can't involve friendship with business. It has to be one or the other. It's either business or friendship, or hit the bricks!"
--Life Lessons from "The Tao of Bobby the Brain Heenan" Uncensored 2000 preview


"As long as the check don't bounce, I guess he's okay with it!"
--Former All Pro Giants LB Harry Carson on Bill Parcells joining the hated rival Dallas Cowboys

Eddie Famous
Andouille








Since: 11.12.01
From: Catlin IL

Since last post: 247 days
Last activity: 241 days
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.34

We used to drive up to the REAL Comiskey every home Friday night during one season and it was wonderful. From Champaign, we just went up I57, turned left and parked. Walked across the street, got a good ticket behind the plate and watched Baines, Fisk and the rest. When the game was done, we slapped in the Sam and Dave tape, made one turn, and was on I57 coming back home. Couldn't beat it.

A few years earlier at the park, I was able to get autos from several of the old Blue Jays...Rick Cerone, Bob Davis, the immense Jesse Jefferson. Plus one from Sox played Butch Edge.

A few years later, I got a chance to meet Jerry Hairston Sr. at an Illinois baseball game, one of my favorites...

I once drove former Sox manager Don Kessinger in my little white Omni from his hotel to my station...

AND, in a promo stop for the Sox, I got auto's from LaRussa, Baines, RICHARD DOTSON, and, to top it all, ROLAND HEMOND!

And I'm a Cub fan.




As of 2/21/05:
97 pounds since December 7, 2004
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 5 days
AIM:  
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.72
    Originally posted by NickBockwinkelFan
    Karko's rise into the starting line-up was brought about by one of the worst General Managerial moves of all time (perpetrated by Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson):


    FISK IN LEFT!!


    Just thinking about it makes me queasy all over again.

    Brutal.

    (edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 24.2.05 1752)


Actually it was the desire to get Joel Skinner in the lineup that brought about Fisk going into left. Karko never played more than 45 games for them until 1989 according to Baseball Almanac (baseball-almanac.com), while the Fisk debacle was in 1986.



NickBockwinkelFan
Frankfurter








Since: 10.4.02
From: New York City, NY

Since last post: 835 days
Last activity: 63 days
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.62
    Originally posted by spf
    Actually it was the desire to get Joel Skinner in the lineup that brought about Fisk going into left. Karko never played more than 45 games for them until 1989 according to Baseball Almanac (baseball-almanac.com), while the Fisk debacle was in 1986.


It was platoon city that year, until Fisk told the Hawk to stick it and got back behind the plate. The failed Fisk in left experiment died early in 1986 (mid-May if memory serves). Skinner caught most of the games before the All-Star break, until he was traded. Fisk split time in the OF and at DH taking an extra day off each week. After the trade Fisk was back behind the plate, spelled by Hassey. Karko was a rookie that year and couldn't hit at all, but caught 37 games.

1986
Carlton Fisk
LF 31 Games
DH 22 Games
C 71 Games
457 ABs

Joel Skinner
C 60 Games
149 ABs

Ron Karkovice
C 37 Games
97 ABs

Ron Hassey
C 11 Games
DH 38 Games
150 ABs

From http://www.baseball-reference.com

July 30, 1986: Traded by the Chicago White Sox with Ron Kittle and Wayne Tolleson to the New York Yankees for a player to be named later, Ron Hassey, and Carlos Martinez. The New York Yankees sent Bill Lindsey (December 24, 1986) to the Chicago White Sox to complete the trade.


Thinking back on it, it seemed like they were trying to shove Karko down our throats every year starting in '86 (at least that's how we felt at the time). Being such a huge Fisk fan, I didn't like the idea or Karko for that matter.



(edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 25.2.05 1731)

"Well, you can't involve friendship with business. It has to be one or the other. It's either business or friendship, or hit the bricks!"
--Life Lessons from "The Tao of Bobby the Brain Heenan" Uncensored 2000 preview


"As long as the check don't bounce, I guess he's okay with it!"
--Former All Pro Giants LB Harry Carson on Bill Parcells joining the hated rival Dallas Cowboys

BOSsportsfan34
Pepperoni








Since: 2.1.03
From: MA

Since last post: 64 days
Last activity: 26 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.33
    Originally posted by NickBockwinkelFan
    Why am I a White Sox Fan?

    Two Words:

    Harold Baines

    Career Numbers:
    Average: .291
    HR: 384 41st all-time (Evans 385)
    RBI: 1628 21st all-time (Banks 1636)
    Hits: 2866 37th all-time (Ruth 2873)
    TB: 4604 27th all-time (Simmons 4685)
    Walks: 1062
    Runs: 1296
    SLG: .465
    2B: 488 43rd all-time (Vernon 490)

    Harold was my favorite as a kid and his numbers speak for themselves. Baines was a total pro and an excellent right fielder for 8 seasons until the knee injury. Harold was a lethal hitter and one of the best clutch RBI men in baseball history.

    Here are a few of the other reasons I love the Sox:

    Dick Allen (I enjoy 500 ft homers...without steroids)

    Wilbur Wood winning 20 plus and losing 20 plus each year (Jesus the guy threw 350 plus innings every year)

    Carlos May (playing his ass off, even though he blew his thumb off in a mortar accident in Vietnam)

    Chet Lemon patroling center field and ripping line drives all over the place

    Ralph Garr

    1977 South Side Hitmen (one year rentals Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble almost lead the Sox to playoffs for first time since 1959...fucking George Brett)

    Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall broadcasting the games (until the genius ownership let Harry leave for the Cubs...THE FUCKING CUBS)

    Jorge Orta (slick fielding SS/2B who Harry always called Georgie)

    Bob Lemon as manager

    Larry Doby as manager

    Jim Kaat

    Amazing mexican food under the third base stands (churros and elephant ears for dessert)

    The Bard's Room

    Bill Veeck's wooden leg

    The ashtray in Bill Veeck's wooden leg

    Number 72 Carlton Fisk (first legitimate superstar since Dick Allen)

    Minnie Minoso playing in five decades

    Greg Luzinski (roof shots anyone)

    Winning Ugly (the 1983 Playoffs are the root of my unbridled hatred of Cal Ripken Jr)

    Fisk taking his sweet fucking time to call a game (get some sun, have an Italian beef and line up the Old Styles)

    Fisk and Seaver working four hour games (the slowest battery in the history of baseball)

    Nancy Faust on organ

    Lem's BBQ on 75th Street after the game

    Sheets of ice on the stairs opening day

    Old Comiskey

    Andy the Clown (GO...WHITE...SOXXXXXX)


    (edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 17.2.05 0231)


You bring up all that past White Sox history yet fail to mention "Disco Demolition Night"?





Isiah's Finest
NickBockwinkelFan
Frankfurter








Since: 10.4.02
From: New York City, NY

Since last post: 835 days
Last activity: 63 days
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.62
    Originally posted by BOSsportsfan34
    You bring up all that past White Sox history yet fail to mention "Disco Demolition Night"?


Steve Dahl and Garry Meier on WLUP (and later WLS) were a big part of my youth. These guys were great together and at the time were hilarious. I know they broke up in the 1980's (I left Chicago in 1987) and it was ugly (I always wondered what happened). Disco Demolition was not good for the White Sox, but it was a big night for Steve & Garry and real highlight of the brutal 1979 season. In 1979, Chet Lemon had the only decent season on the team and the Don Kessinger player/manager experiment was a complete failure (plug pulled after 106 games).

http://www.discodemolition.com/

(edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 25.2.05 2008)


"Well, you can't involve friendship with business. It has to be one or the other. It's either business or friendship, or hit the bricks!"
--Life Lessons from "The Tao of Bobby the Brain Heenan" Uncensored 2000 preview


"As long as the check don't bounce, I guess he's okay with it!"
--Former All Pro Giants LB Harry Carson on Bill Parcells joining the hated rival Dallas Cowboys

Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 1 hour
Last activity: 22 min.
#18 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.99
    Originally posted by spf
    I have only one thing to say to this:




Ron Karkovice was always notable to me as a youngster since I could've sworn he was older than Nolan Ryan and Charlie Hough put together...and yet he was in his late twenties. Talk about being ridden hard and put back wet.



I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits." --- President Jed Bartlett, The West Wing
Thread rated: 5.62
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Nationals Gear
Next thread: Rafael Palmeiro considering lawsuit
Previous thread: Roid Rage
(817 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Seeing the video of the incident, it looks like Offerman swung and missed but knocked the ump over anyway. The ump fell to avoid the punch, though some may say he overracted to it (I won't; if you were in his position, would you really take that punch?)....
Related threads: Its Final, Sosa's an Oriole - Nomar and Todd.... Cubbie Reunion - Nomar and Pedro to Cubs???? - More...
The W - Baseball - Why I'm a White Sox fanRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.149 seconds.