The W
Views: 139219047
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
14.12.18 2304
The W - Site Bashing - When did the Internet fall out of love with Bill DeMott?
This thread has 25 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1(364 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (15 total)
VK Wallstreet
Goetta








Since: 18.6.02
From: New York, NY, USA

Since last post: 5852 days
Last activity: 5851 days
#1 Posted on
Not really "site bashing," I guess, just a simple question.

SK: "Elsewhere, Bill DeMott cuts an oddly bitter promo and threatens Funaki because he deserves better. Hey, great, another big freak gets pushed as the company sinks."

Ashish: "As long as guys like the Big Show sit atop the program, with guys like Albert and Bill DeMott getting pushes, Smackdown is going no where."

Did I miss something? I never liked DeMott, but I thought everybody was in love with him and his awesome No Laughing Matter moonsault. This is just like when the Internet turned on Triple H, only about a zillion times milder.



Rip says death is too good for you. Rip says the worms are too good for you. Rip says the maggots would choke on your rotting flesh.
Promote this thread!
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 1993 days
Last activity: 1993 days
#2 Posted on
I think it goes back to his US Title win where they had the locker room come out the next night to congratulate him for being such a swell guy. Much like Godfather pre IC Title where being a mid carder is one thing, being in a position where theoretically your #1 contender for the world title in another.



I want you to know, I agree with everything I've just said.
Spaceman Spiff
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Philly Suburbs

Since last post: 88 days
Last activity: 10 hours
#3 Posted on
*I* like him.

DeMottitude!



Matthew: You would've loved it, David. A week in a foreign country, strange people, strange customs...
Dave: Oh, I know what you mean. I've been to Canada.
oldschoolhero
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: nWo Country

Since last post: 3500 days
Last activity: 3434 days
#4 Posted on
This whole weeks has just left me chuckling to myself. After two months of top-notch TV, SmackDown introduces some fresh faces into the mix (Albert, Bull, DeMott) and suddenly the show is terrible. I am, as ever, instantly reminded of Comic Book Guy in "Itchy And Scratchy And Poochy".

As for DeMott, he's welcome to get pushed anytime he wants.




Apparently, I Am


Yes, My Coolness Has Gone Up

Spaceman Spiff
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Philly Suburbs

Since last post: 88 days
Last activity: 10 hours
#5 Posted on
The problem is, 2/3 of those "fresh faces" (Buchanan & Albert) have been pushed in the past, and each time the fans didn't care. What makes them think pushing them 1 more time is going to work? At least DeMott is actually a "new" guy. Why should I give those 2 guys a chance when they've consistently failed to entertain me in the past?

If they want to give somebody a push, give it to Mattitude, who has at least been interesting/entertaining in his new character, rather than jobbing him out & sticking him on Velocity. Make MF'er Shannon Moore his partner/disciple/follower/whatever.



Matthew: You would've loved it, David. A week in a foreign country, strange people, strange customs...
Dave: Oh, I know what you mean. I've been to Canada.
OlFuzzyBastard
Knackwurst








Since: 28.4.02
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 49 days
Last activity: 49 days
#6 Posted on
The minute they started pushing him. You have noticed that it works like that, haven't you?

I promise you, if the WWE ever puts the belt on Chris Benoit and pushes him for a meaningful amount of time, at least half the Internet would hate him. The net turned on Mick Foley, for christ's sake.



Jay Bower
Cotechino








Since: 28.2.02

Since last post: 5399 days
Last activity: 5388 days
#7 Posted on
I think people started hating Hugh Morris immediately upon his debut. His gimmick was stupid to the point that it was an embarrasment , he was always out of shape and sluggish in the ring, sloppy and he nearly killed Edge with a botched moonsault the first time that he stepped into a WWF ring. I think half the reason people hate him so much is because we have constantly been trying to be fooled by companies into thinking that he was a huge superstar. The Misfits in Action sucked ass and weren't worthy of going over the AWESOME Team Canada contingent week after week and Morris' locker room clearing US Title celebration was just lame considering how forced and flawed the ridiculous ceremony was. Then Hugh was given the right to be the SECOND WCW WRESTLER EVER to invade Raw. Sure they didn't have a whole lot of big names to work with, but give me a break. And finally, you have Morris now beating the hell out of kids on Tough Enough while blathering about how they "don't have what it takes to make it", when the sad truth is that up to this point neither has he. Anyway, if he keeps he keeps the badass look going and doesn't get saddled with another goofy gimmick, maybe he will have some success this time around but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

(edited by Jay Bower on 6.12.02 1253)


Jay Bower
TheSmarks.com/411wrestling.com
joecollins
Chorizo








Since: 2.1.02
From: Lititz, PA

Since last post: 5189 days
Last activity: 5189 days
#8 Posted on
In general, I think this is the usual Internet knee-jerk reaction to hate something that is new (while at the same time, clamoring for more new).

There are two schools of thought:

1) They're just pushing him cause he's big
2) Pushing him is a bad idea, cause he's old and/or a shell of his former self.

I myself don't have a problem with this since I don't see him getting push to the main event anytime soon. He's was a pretty good worker for a guy his size (in 1995, mind you) and should have been treated better by WCW. Now in 2002 he has blurred vision from multiple concussions and probably won't get pushed much past the midcard, but that is about where he belongs.



http://www.joecollins.net/
Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 159 days
Last activity: 11 days
#9 Posted on
Well, he only beat Funaki. I wouldn't call that a major push.

It's not like he "injured" a major cruiserweight superstar and will now be wrestling an uppercard star at the next PPV or anything. Sigh....



I was born in a manger, like that other guy. You know, he wore a hat?
fuelinjected
Banger








Since: 12.10.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 4775 days
Last activity: 4775 days
#10 Posted on
DeMott's in a bad spot because in WCW, he was a big man but in WWE, he's not so big. He's not big enough to be one of the big monsters but he's too big to be one of the good smaller workers.

To me he always seemed like he had the potential to be good if he could just step up his game a little but it never happened. He just seems to be missing something and the year and a half of being buried in WWE obscurity haven't done anything to help that.
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 1139 days
Last activity: 14 days
#11 Posted on
I didn't mind the Hugh Morrus push near the end of WCW simply because there was no one else worth pushing, and he was working his ass off generally at that point. Now though there are a lot of people I would push before him, and he doesn't seem to be working nearly as hard. If this new push inspires him to go back to being one of the better big man workers then it's a good thing, but the whole thing just seems a bit uninspired on all ends.



Who's always messing up Homestar's plans? The Cheat! The Cheat


Immortality
Ana Ng
Blutwurst








Since: 6.8.02
From: Naples, FL, USA

Since last post: 5350 days
Last activity: 4924 days
#12 Posted on
I've never liked Hugh Morrus. Ever. It's nothing new to me.

And yeah, the Misfits in Action=my least favorite stable EVER. Ugh, I hated them.

He had a crappy gimmick and is absolutely nothing special in the ring. He's just not entertaining.

But I imagine his current push will work out about as well as any other Tough Enough trainer's push. I think it's established that the fans don't give a crap about the trainers just because they were on Tough Enough. Heck, the only trainer I've even cared about was Chavo, but I liked him before he was on Tough Enough. Tough Enough has nothing to do with my liking Chavo. Just as Tough Enough has nothing to do with my disliking DeMott.



Think Happy Kurt Angle Thoughts.
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 1993 days
Last activity: 1993 days
#13 Posted on

    Originally posted by OlFuzzyBastard
    The minute they started pushing him. You have noticed that it works like that, haven't you?

    I promise you, if the WWE ever puts the belt on Chris Benoit and pushes him for a meaningful amount of time, at least half the Internet would hate him. The net turned on Mick Foley, for christ's sake.





I'm willing to take the risk of the net turning on Benoit if he got the belt.



I want you to know, I agree with everything I've just said.
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 2783 days
Last activity: 1237 days
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29

    Originally posted by Ana Ng
    But I imagine his current push will work out about as well as any other Tough Enough trainer's push. I think it's established that the fans don't give a crap about the trainers just because they were on Tough Enough.


Exactly. It's not like TE1 happened and Al Snow and Tazz were suddenly threats to the world title...



LIBERAL- adj: abundant, incapable, self-serving, racist, confiscatory, welfare-loving, anti-liberty, scrooge-like, indulgent, lavish, unprincipled, closed-minded, philanthropic with other peoples money, big-government loving, selfish, uptight, unrealisitc, unenlightened, discriminatory, totalitarian, partial, strict, overpermissive, intolerant, biased, bigoted, prejudiced
-------Real-life experience
NickBockwinkelFan
Frankfurter








Since: 10.4.02
From: New York City, NY

Since last post: 2435 days
Last activity: 1201 days
#15 Posted on
    Originally posted by Jay Bower
    I think people started hating Hugh Morris immediately upon his debut. His gimmick was stupid to the point that it was an embarrasment , he was always out of shape and sluggish in the ring, sloppy and he nearly killed Edge with a botched moonsault the first time that he stepped into a WWF ring. I think half the reason people hate him so much is because we have constantly been trying to be fooled by companies into thinking that he was a huge superstar. The Misfits in Action sucked ass and weren't worthy of going over the AWESOME Team Canada contingent week after week and Morris' locker room clearing US Title celebration was just lame considering how forced and flawed the ridiculous ceremony was. Then Hugh was given the right to be the SECOND WCW WRESTLER EVER to invade Raw. Sure they didn't have a whole lot of big names to work with, but give me a break. And finally, you have Morris now beating the hell out of kids on Tough Enough while blathering about how they "don't have what it takes to make it", when the sad truth is that up to this point neither has he. Anyway, if he keeps he keeps the badass look going and doesn't get saddled with another goofy gimmick, maybe he will have some success this time around but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

    (edited by Jay Bower on 6.12.02 1253)



Jay, that's a harsh assessment of the man who single handedly restored the dignity of Hacksaw Jim Duggan. They had him scrubbing toilets for Christ sake!

(edited by NickBockwinkelFan on 10.12.02 0003)


"Well, you can't involve friendship with business. It has to be one or the other. It's either business or friendship, or hit the bricks!"
--Life Lessons from "The Tao of Bobby the Brain Heenan" Uncensored 2000 preview


Pages: 1Thread ahead: What the Hell?
Next thread: Who The Heck Is Hyatte?
Previous thread: marks
(364 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Cage Match Settles Nothing PONTIAC, MI—The long-awaited steel-cage match between World Championship Wrestling rivals Violator and Psycho Sid, widely expected to settle a bitter dispute between the two, settled nothing Monday.
The W - Site Bashing - When did the Internet fall out of love with Bill DeMott?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2018 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.044 seconds.