The W
Views: 100802473
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.11.14 0925
The W - Current Events & Politics - Wait...I thought the Democrats were the party of Tolerance (Page 2)
This thread has 7 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.79
Pages: Prev 1 2
(1652 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (30 total)
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong








Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1347 days
Last activity: 114 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.55
Well, please excuse my ignorance :). Providing the judges were as qualified as the ones being blocked now, and were not among that crop that Clinton waited until the last minute for (that was a different political game in-of itself), blocking them was also wrong, even if it was a Republican doing it.

I think I would have less of a problem if they really filabustered though, instead of this fake crap they have been doing. That "marathon session" they had where everyone had a scheduled 30 minute slot to speak was a joke as well.

Just shows how lazy and unmotivated our politicians on both sides of the aisle- mainly the Republicans in this case. Make them REALLY filabuster- the whole point of holding up buisness for as long as it takes to kill a bill was to make certain the minority party could only block things they felt really passionate about. But alas- they are too worried that "senior" Senators might miss their nap time, (we're too OLD to stand up for something we believe in!!!) so this whole thing goes on and on and on... It is so frustrating because they could have ended this months ago and they just won't do it. Who could blame the Democrats for taking advantage?

Personally, I think the Democrats are wrong to hold them up, but if they felt so strongly that these particular judges were so bad for the country that they were going to hold up ALL OTHER BUSINESS to prevent their confirmation, I would be a lot more willing to listen to them.

Why IS no one in the media pointing out the racist connotations? Whether he meant it racially or not, it was a pretty hazy comment that could have meant something really, really bad- and no one is giving it a second thought in the press.

Imagine if Rush Limbaugh said that....

(edited by Pool-Boy on 18.11.03 1146)


Still on the Shelf- Every Tuesday
DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 32 days
Last activity: 3 hours
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.87
After reading this quote several times and mulling it over, I am not sure how a racist connotation can be inferred without a big stretch. I may be wrong but isn't he saying that certain nominees with their political views would set the country back to the Stone Age?

I will agree that liberals tend to be prickly about minority groups, feminists included, that they feel have sold out and forgotten their "roots" (no pun intended). I just don't see ot here though.

Pool-Boy is right. If both sides feel so strongly about their moral stance on this, then the Senate should grind to a halt and get this settled. But if we did that then look at all the ammunition both sides would lose. Can't wait for all the fun in '04.

Remember, the goal is not to accomplish anything but to make the opposition look bad.



Perception is reality
ges7184
Lap cheong








Since: 7.1.02
From: Birmingham, AL

Since last post: 76 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#23 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.49
    Originally posted by DrDirt
    Remember, the goal is not to accomplish anything but to make the opposition look bad.


You are so right with this comment. The Republicans don't really want to defeat the filabuster, they are planning on using it as a campaign issue (ie we need more Republicans in office to get sensible judges confirmed). Democrats are also perfectly comfortable with this, as they will spin it as 'Republicans care more about judges, who happen to be wacko right-wingers, than about issues that really affect you'.

It's all about political posturing, as the election season never seems to actually end anymore.



Everything that is wrong in this world can be blamed on Freddie Prinze Jr.
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong








Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1347 days
Last activity: 114 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#24 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.55
I agree it would take a good stretch to make Kennedy's comment racist... but it took an even bigger stretch to make Lott's racist, and look what happened to him. A nice comment about an old man on his birthday was blown up to "Lott wants segregation- he is a racist."

I guess if the media is going to be idiotic, I want some consistancy in the idiocy. Media groups and special interests like the NAACP should be coming out of the woodwork asking for his head, just as they did for Lott's. So far- not a peep.





Still on the Shelf- Every Tuesday
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.65
    Originally posted by Pool-Boy
    I guess if the media is going to be idiotic, I want some consistancy in the idiocy.
Perhaps it would be better to demand a reduction in idiocy instead of a consistent level of idiocy? (Of course, set your standards low enough and you'll never be disappointed...)



CRZ
Pool-Boy
Lap cheong








Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1347 days
Last activity: 114 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.55
    Originally posted by CRZ
    Perhaps it would be better to demand a reduction in idiocy instead of a consistent level of idiocy? (Of course, set your standards low enough and you'll never be disappointed...)


Can disagree there, but I have given up asking for the impossible. Seems much more likely that if I ask for MORE idiocy, I will get it.



Still on the Shelf- Every Tuesday
DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 32 days
Last activity: 3 hours
#27 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.11
    Originally posted by Pool-Boy
    I agree it would take a good stretch to make Kennedy's comment racist... but it took an even bigger stretch to make Lott's racist, and look what happened to him. A nice comment about an old man on his birthday was blown up to "Lott wants segregation- he is a racist."

    I guess if the media is going to be idiotic, I want some consistancy in the idiocy. Media groups and special interests like the NAACP should be coming out of the woodwork asking for his head, just as they did for Lott's. So far- not a peep.




The difference was that Lott had a track record. However, I thought the whole blow up over his comments was stupid and it certainly should not have cost him his position. But come on, with C-Span and all, how can any politician think he can make any public, or for that matter private, comment without the strong possibility it will make the light of day. The arrogance and stupidity of politicians on both sides never ceases to amaze me.

And to be fair, in his day, the "old man" was a blatant segregationist and old wounds don't heal that easily.



Perception is reality
Barbwire Mike
Boudin rouge








Since: 6.11.03
From: Dudleyville

Since last post: 3332 days
Last activity: 3324 days
#28 Posted on
First off, how the hell did this thread go so long without a single mention of Robert Byrd? (Second off, sorry to re-open a two day old thread).

The overall point here is that while "yes, if a Republican had made the same comment about the same people he would be villified", that doesn't prove Ted Kennedy has discrimitory feelings. It just proves that oversensitivity has reached such an absurd level that such an innocent statement could ever conceivably be used against someone. How the hell is calling someone a "neanderthal" racist? It's not, but all it takes is someone to make the leap and the seed is planted (and the radio talk show hosts know this as well as the rest of the "media" they try to distance themselves so far from). Remember the poor politician who dared to use the word "niggardly"? Definition couldn't have less to do with race, but try telling that to someone who never read past the headline.

And I'm a proud republican... but there's a big difference between Kennedy's comment and Trent Lott's. And even if there wasn't, Trent's been railing against the leftist media long enough to figure if he's right, saying something that retarded was the equivilant of handing them an axe and putting his head on a stump. Worst thing was it was pretty much the last time Strom Thurmond made the news before dying, which cemented his place in history as a segregationist even though he'd worked his ass off for the last 50 years trying to atone for it (although those lefties in the media would rather you didn't know that).



Lethalwrestling.com: If you don't read us, you're probably gay.
PalpatineW
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 2862 days
Last activity: 2704 days
AIM:  
#29 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
I think the race card is horribly misplayed here, but does anyone think this comment is appropriate?

I find the term "extremist" to be rather distasteful and less than illuminating, but I'll accept it as part of political discourse. But to call one's opponents "neanderthals" is just kinda low. Imagine if Bush got on the microphone and called Teddy a commie pinko, which I think is an analogous situation.



DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 32 days
Last activity: 3 hours
#30 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.12
    Originally posted by Barbwire Mike
    First off, how the hell did this thread go so long without a single mention of Robert Byrd? (Second off, sorry to re-open a two day old thread).

    The overall point here is that while "yes, if a Republican had made the same comment about the same people he would be villified", that doesn't prove Ted Kennedy has discrimitory feelings. It just proves that oversensitivity has reached such an absurd level that such an innocent statement could ever conceivably be used against someone. How the hell is calling someone a "neanderthal" racist? It's not, but all it takes is someone to make the leap and the seed is planted (and the radio talk show hosts know this as well as the rest of the "media" they try to distance themselves so far from). Remember the poor politician who dared to use the word "niggardly"? Definition couldn't have less to do with race, but try telling that to someone who never read past the headline.

    And I'm a proud republican... but there's a big difference between Kennedy's comment and Trent Lott's. And even if there wasn't, Trent's been railing against the leftist media long enough to figure if he's right, saying something that retarded was the equivilant of handing them an axe and putting his head on a stump. Worst thing was it was pretty much the last time Strom Thurmond made the news before dying, which cemented his place in history as a segregationist even though he'd worked his ass off for the last 50 years trying to atone for it (although those lefties in the media would rather you didn't know that).


Lott's comments might have made it through except for the fact he mentioned Thurmond's run for president as a Dixiecrat. As a "leftie" I freely admit that Thurmond, Wallace their ilk made strong efftes to make amends. They deserve credit for it.

You are right, we are hypersensitive. Really, how seriously is Kennedy taken these days.

palp, no the comment isn't approriate but hyperbole is the stock in trade of politicians attempting to differntiate themselves for the oppostion. Too bad there really isn't all that much difference.



Perception is reality
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 5.79
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: IRS Investigating the NEA
Next thread: States Rights?
Previous thread: As if there were any questions of Dean's rather liberal credentials....
(1652 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Agreed. She did set up the legislative inquiry as well, right? And pledge to cooperate with it? From what I had read this second group was the one that most considered to be biased, but who knows for sure.
The W - Current Events & Politics - Wait...I thought the Democrats were the party of Tolerance (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.118 seconds.