Impact began with a scene having Ethan Carter staring into a mirror. It was a good image to underscore that he is the center of the universe now.
Throughout the show we were introduced to people gunning for his title. His henchman Tyrus has a number one contender shot that can be used whenever he's ready, and has taken to gazing into Ethan's belt. Jeff Hardy wants the title, but has to win his way back into contention after being on the disabled list. New guy Mike Bennett has also started an issue with the champ. Lastly, Matt Hardy is getting a final shot at Ethan in a last man standing match, with Hardy's contract on the line.
Always good to see the champion surrounded by piranhas.
1. Jeff Hardy defeated Shinron, "The Master of Motion"
2. Awesome Kong and Jade ("The Dollhouse" w/ Marti Bell and Rebel) defeated Madison Rayne and Velvet Sky ("The Beautiful People") in a street fight
Storm and Roode had a beer bash, in which Roode (once again) apologized to Storm for turning on him ages ago. Storm did not however apologize for becoming an Evil Cult Leader. This is why Roode is more likable than Storm.
3. Eric Young (w/ "Mr. 2006" Bram) defeated Bobby Roode (c) (w/James Storm) to win the King of The Mountain Title. This makes EY the only person to have held the KOTM belt under each of its four different names. (Legends, Global, TV.) Incidentally, they are actually running with "Mr. 2006" as a real gimmick for Bram. This fills me with joy. Presumably Roode lost here because Beer Money didn't even exist in 2006.
Mr. Anderson now enters to Lounge Lizard music, and hosts a creepy interview segment called "Huh?"
4. Tigre Uno & The Wolves (Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards) defeated DJ Z & Jessie Godderz and Eli Drake after DJ Z got pissed at his partners
5. Kurt Angle defeated Drew Galloway in a retirement tour match.
Announced for this Tuesday are Beer Money; Gail Kim (c) v. Awesome Kong; Mike Bennett's in ring debut; and Ethan Carter III (c) v. Matt Hardy.
This show was a huge improvement over the previous weeks show. Besides for the Anderson show nonsense this was a very focused show with lots of purpose. I have been a long time Mr. Anderson hater and quite frankly don't understand why he's still employed.
TNA did a good job planting the seeds for a Matt Hardy heel turn with his wife acting he elvish in the Anderson segment and pulling Matt away from Jeff in the backstage segment. The segment where Hardy put his TNA career on the line was very strong and EC3 stood out as a top heel.
Boy did Roode look like a buffoon doing the Beer Money thing with Storm leading to his loss they couldn't come up with a better finish than that? I don't think anyone cares about the Kotm title and it has no use and never did when it called the tv and legends title.
Angle vs Galloway was excellent though there was too many finisher kick out sequences, still this was Drew's best showing in TNA and while Kurt is no longer a top tier worker he's still pretty good.
All in all, this was a very good show and hopefully they build on it.
Those backstage bits with Angle were GREAT, he was in old-school goof mode while still being "serious wrestler" Kurt. "Screw your boobs!" is now in the running for quote of the year. I don't like Kong dropping the title here.