I decided to order the TNA PPV last night at home, rather than drive 15 minutes up the road to see it live. It was much better than last week's show.
However, my main gripe was that they spent a week hyping AJ vs. Kid Kash ... but as soon as they went on the air, the announcers stated that Kid Kash had been "suspended" (I wonder if it was his broken leg?) by TNA. But the main event ended up being AJ vs. Sabin vs. Kazarian vs. Red vs. Primetime vs. Michael Shane in a 6-way dance for the X title ... was an awesome fucking match ... I was actually happy that the main event got changed to that.
Shamrock came back and will be involved in the main event next week with 3 Live Kru, Jarrett and the Elite Guard in a Gaunlet match the the title ... he looks as if he's aged some, but my money says that he could still kick my ass.
The America's Most Wanted match versus the Naturals was surprisingly great. I personally think that AMW might be the best "team" (not two singles wrestlers put together) in wrestling today.
A couple of turd matches ... Watts vs Abyss ... I feel bad for Abyss being stuck in this feud ... D-Lo vs. Monty Brown was pretty bad, too ... D-Lo looked out of shape and blew a few spots.
Ya know, it would've been nice for them to have brought back Shamrock for the anniversary show, seeing as how he was the inaugural champion (well, first NWA Champion in the TNA era anyway). Is this is a one-shot and/or short-term deal?
Originally posted by MayhemI personally think that AMW might be the best "team" (not to singles wrestlers put together) in wrestling today.
I couldn't agree more. That's really the only problem I had with the Chris Harris singles push. If they play their cards right in keeping a strong Cruiserweight (re: "X") Division and Tag Team Division, they can do a lot to establish themselves as a different product than WWE and, as a result, a suitable alternative. In that respect they've done a decent job thus far (at least with the X Division).
The best part about AMW is that they have been doing jobs recently to build up the tag division. The tag match and the X division match were very good but the rest of the show was total crap. Why is Erik Watts still in the wrestling business? I mean he has been around for 12 years and he still messes up simple things in the ring. And why in the earth is he choke slamming Abyss? Ugh the less I say about that match the better.
I actually LIKED Simon and Swinger, they weren't incredible, but solid enough to have good matches with AMW, also Daniels and Skipper last I saw were on team TNA, with those two losses to the tag division, it hasn't been as strong, but they've got some talented guys if they can start up some new tag teams.
- They HAVE tag teams: 1. Team Canada 2. Team Japan 3. The Naturals 4. NYC 5. 3LK 6. Team India (Dutt & Sabu) 7. "Not XXX" (Daniels & Primetime)
Add AMW to the mix, and you have a stronger division than WWE.
- The X Division, I predict, is going to deal with the tremendous loss of Kid Kash (unless, of course, we are being "worked"), but they have more than enough talent to keep things fresh. The MultiWay things are getting a bit tedious, but they are good ways of maintaining guys' heat, while still delivering entertaining matches.
- I'm not sure about Shamrock's status, but it sure *seems* like he's under contract. I'd start grooming him for a top spot, but I don't think I'd give him the title until the end of the year. I've got a storyline idea where he gets an ironclad title shot booked months in advance, but is forced to have "Tune Up Matches", where he could lose the shot, so guys keep getting thrown at him.
- I missed the match, but Watts is pretty entertaining on the mic. Too bad he's still weak in the ring. I was hoping that what he was doing while he was "fired" was honing his skills and hitting the gym. Well, I'm predicting a heel turn for Watts (joining back with Goldy), and turning Abyss face, as a heartbroken Gentle Giant.
- They really need to break up 3LK, because Konnan and James aren't helping Killings. Adding them to this match is an example of what I mean. Their wrestling is suspect (although they remain over with the crowd), and they contantly overshadow him and his motivations. "The Truth" Rob Killings needs to stand on his own two, so the albatross that is 3LK has to go.
I've only done 19 but still 20 feels like I've been doing this for too long. WHAT WORKED: -Sabin/Dutt v. Aries/Strong was pretty good. Not as good as the Naturals match from last week but still surprisingly good. Dutt looked absolutely awful in this.