The W
Views: 98387784
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
23.8.14 1501
The W - Current Events & Politics - Thoughts on the first GOP debate Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.25
Pages: 1
(467 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (14 total)
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.43
Seems as though they were intent on hammering Guliani on his Pro Choice/Pro Life flip flopping.

Romney looked pretty strong.


Tommy Thompson seemed okay, but didnt have a lot of charisma.

McCain, the train has left the station. He looked like a cranky old man. Not a good showing.

Personally, I liked Huckabee. He said a lot of things that I personally support.

Any thoughts?
Promote this thread!
Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 20 min.
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.10
If you took a drink every time Ronald Reagan's name was mentioned, you'd have a bad hangover this morning. If you took a drink every time George "30 percent approval rating" Bush's name was mentioned, you'd be as sober as my grandma. Was this a debate for the 2008 election or the 1988 election?



AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
Y!:
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.45
I was working last night, so I only caught whatever CNN was willing to show me.

McCain's done, I think, and should be - too old.

I like Duncan Hunter, from what I saw. But I can accept any of them - even Rudy, who I disagree with on many "social/Moral" issues. I doubt that more than 6 of them will make it to Iowa. Crazy that the first primary is more than 8 months away.



http://myspace.com/awarulz
Signature
We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.
oldschoolhero
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: nWo Country

Since last post: 1926 days
Last activity: 1860 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
30% of the candidates don't believe in evolution. Plase let one of the other 70% win the nomination.



To those who say people wouldn't look; they wouldn't be interested; they're too complacent, indifferent and insulated, I can only reply: There is, in one reporter's opinion, considerable evidence against that contention. But even if they are right, what have they got to lose? Because if they are right, and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse and insulate, then the tube is flickering now and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost. This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires, and lights, in a box.-Edward R. Murrow
wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 18 hours
AIM:  
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by oldschoolhero
    30% of the candidates don't believe in evolution. Plase let one of the other 70% win the nomination.


You're shitting me? Holy hell I might have to shoot myself if a 30% person wins. I don't think I could take that.

(edited by wmatistic on 4.5.07 0728)
OlFuzzyBastard
Knackwurst








Since: 28.4.02
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 16 hours
AIM:  
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.17
Um, the current president doesn't believe in evolution...

I honestly think the nomination's Huckabee's. McCain, like everyone said, has long since blown his wad. Guilliani would probably win the general election, but there's no way the GOP's base is going to support someone who agrees with someone like me on so very many social issues, even if he's pretending not to for the next few months. And Mitt Romney is their ideal candidate except he's a Mormon so he's out. That leaves just the "also ran"s and Mike Huckabee's the best of the bunch.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 1 hour
Last activity: 49 min.
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
    Originally posted by wmatistic
      Originally posted by oldschoolhero
      30% of the candidates don't believe in evolution. Plase let one of the other 70% win the nomination.


    You're shitting me? Holy hell I might have to shoot myself if a 30% person wins. I don't think I could take that.
You shooting yourself would be an example of a DIFFERENT form of evolution.



I AM CRZ
wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 18 hours
AIM:  
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by CRZ
      Originally posted by wmatistic
        Originally posted by oldschoolhero
        30% of the candidates don't believe in evolution. Plase let one of the other 70% win the nomination.


      You're shitting me? Holy hell I might have to shoot myself if a 30% person wins. I don't think I could take that.
    You shooting yourself would be an example of a DIFFERENT form of evolution.


AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha

hehehe

heh

ha

lol

(actually I was attempting sarcasm in that post. I thought everyone knew GWB didn't believe in evolution, and that it makes little difference if the Prez wants to be ignorant on such things)

(edited by wmatistic on 4.5.07 0842)
DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 1 day
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.73
My only comment for the two so far (one each side), please don't call them debates. We learn nothing from these things.



Perception is reality
GodEatGod
Boudin rouge








Since: 28.2.02

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 4 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.92
I agree that they're not debates. They're more showcases, getting to know you, first look sorts of things. For that purpose, at least, I thought both "debates" were okay.

I thought Giuliani probably did the best at seeming "Presidential", and I liked him best. But, then, I'm a liberal, so that's not necessarily a good thing for him in primary season.

I thought Romney came off pretty well, despite the rather weak defense of his change of heart regarding abortion. For the hardcore conservative crowd, I thought Brownback made a better showing than Huckabee, although my friends and I were desperate for him to give "the number of the Beast" as a reason to oppose a national ID card.

McCain was definitely the big loser, I thought, seeming blustery and not entirely cogent.

The worst part of the whole thing I thought was Chris Matthews. He didn't enforce the rules and kept asking follow up questions. They're not on Hardball, Chris! Give everybody a chance to talk! He got better as it went along, but Brian Williams did a much better job last week (even though the candidates still freely ignored the rules).



"Never piss off a hawk with a blowgun" - Conan O'Brien
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 24 days
Last activity: 9 hours
AIM:  
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.16
It's interesting to me how, while the Dem field is basically set, and for all the folks trying to run it really is a 3 horse race (Obama, Edwards, Clinton), the GOP field seems very fluid. And two major names are still lurking out there. I saw an Iowa opinion poll showing Fred Thompson running 4th despite not even beginning to campaign yet, and Gingrich has done well in national polls recently. At this point it seems like any of 5 to 6 people could reach out and grab the nomination. The key is going to be if any one candidate can break through as the "conservative candidate" and get beyond the perception that the only electable candidates are Giuliani and McCain (and maybe, maybe, MAYBE, Romney).

I've always been surprised Tommy Thompson doesn't do better. Even though he's a GOP'er he always struck me as a sharp guy, and he has solid conservative credentials.



I'm going bald to help kids with cancer! (stbaldricks.org)
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple








Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 391 days
Last activity: 351 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.12
For a state with two Democratic senators, a two-term Democratic governor, and that since 1972 has only voted for Democrats (or Ronald Reagan), we love Thompson in Wisconsin. But he really seems like a long-shot now. If he had been able to run right when he retired as governor, he probably would have done better. But after some uneventful years as the Sec. of Health and Human Services, Thompson's just been out of the limelight too long, I think.
Cerebus
Knackwurst








Since: 17.11.02

Since last post: 24 days
Last activity: 21 hours
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.48
I'm holding out for Fred Thompson cause I think he'd make a kick ass president.

...what, I'm a registered Republican.
Llakor
Landjager








Since: 2.1.02
From: Montreal, Quebec, CANADA

Since last post: 500 days
Last activity: 492 days
AIM:  
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.14
Fred Thompson would in fact kick ass as President and I'm Canadian so you know that we generally think that Al Gore is a bit of a conservative.

Oh, I passed these guys today handing out pamphets on the highway who were negative to both Cheney and Al Gore. One sign said "Gore is neither Left nor right, He's WRONG!"

I was very confused until I saw the name "Larouche" and then I double-fast walked just in case CRAZY was contagious.



"Don't Blame CANADA, Blame Yourselves!"
Thread rated: 5.25
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Good news for Internet radio?
Next thread: Jerry Falwell meets his maker
Previous thread: Twisters
(467 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Gotta catch 'em all...
- Jakegnosis, Iraqi Hit List Cards (2003)
The W - Current Events & Politics - Thoughts on the first GOP debateRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.122 seconds.