Just in case anyone doesn't pick up the latest issue of Wizard, here's their list of the TOP 50 comic book movies. Be warned, the list really sucks:
50. Batman and Robin 49. Steel 48. Red Sonja 47. Virus 46. Fantastic Four 45. Superman 4 44. Conan the Destroyer 43. Captain America 42. Tank Girl. 41. Supergirl 40. The Crow 2 39. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 38. The Crow 3 37. Superman 3 36. Batman 3 (Hey, three third movies in a row!) 35. Barb Wire 34. Judge Dredd 33. Return of Swamp Thing 32. Bulletproof Monk 31. Men in Black 2 30. Spawn 29. The Punisher 28. Howard the Duck 27. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 26. Mystery Men 25. Batman 2 24. Swamp Thing 23. Batman (1966) 22. Daredevil 21. Timecop 20. Conan The Barbarian 19. The Mask 18. Blade 2 17. From Hell 16. American Splendor 15. The Crow 14. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 13. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 12. Men in black 11. Akira
Wizard's Top 10 10. Blade 9. Batman 8. The Rocketeer 7. Ghost World 6. X-men 5. Road to Perdition 4. Superman 3. Superman 2 2. Spider-man 1. X-2
I dunno, if you are going to make a top 50 list, why are you putting some of the worst most shitty movies ever on it? "So bad you have to see them" is no excuse. This list contradicts an earlier issue of Wizard where the staff graded a lot of comic book movies, where Superman got like an A+ and spider-man like a B-. From Hell and the mask are rated WAY too high. In fact most of the flicks 21-50 are pretty lame ass. The real glaring ommission from the list? FLASH GORDON! I mean c'mon, what comic book movie had a better theme song? What else was missing? GI Joe, Transformers, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, and the Phantom (well if wizard says "its so bad you have to see it"). I probably wouldn't put Ghost World or Road to perdition in my top 10 lists either. I really dig Rocketeer, but wouldn't put it in the top 10. For people on the weinerboard that actually liked the hulk, don't fret, this list was composed PRE-HULK.
(edited by The Vile1 on 25.6.03 1442)
"Just a humble bounty hunter, ma'am." -Spike Spiegel
You mean the shitty TMNT 3 got ranked AHEAD of the infinitely superior TMNT 2???
Uh...that's about the only complaint I have about this list. Can't really complain about #1 since I haven't actually seen it yet. I think this list should have been condensed to the top 25 to avoid giving us flashbacks of Captain America, Fantastic 4, and Batman & Robin. Oy!
What is Mattitude?
Utilizing the belief system and work ethic (Mattributes) of THE Matt Hardy to create a better life for yourself by fulfilling your goals and dreams. Mattitude is a quality that can help anyone -- regardless of background or past -- to achieve success. You just have to make it a lifestyle, a mindset, a religion. Mattitude, is something that can not be taught or learned. Mattitude is something that burns within. In the ring, Mattitude is the intangible, the x-factor, that gives me an advantage over everyone else.
Frankly, Batman should be top three. That's a no-brainer.
Over 1500 posts and still never a Wiener of the Day!
Oliva: You are the weakest link! Goodbye!
Stewie: Ahahaha. Oh God, that's funny. That's really funny. You write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. 'You are the weakest link. Goodbye!' You know I've never heard anyone make that joke before. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference that outside program before. Because that's what she says on the show, right? Hmmm? 'You are the weakest link. Goodbye!' And ye...ye..yet you've taken it and....and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. What a clever, smart girl you must be. To come up with a joke like that all by yourself. Mmmmm...that's so fresh too. Any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. Mmmm? Cuz i'm here God you're so funny!
"America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team...then you should get the hell out of the stadium. Go America."--Stan Marsh, South Park
Superman II ahead of Superman: The Movie is CRAP CRAP CRAP. I'm also down with moving Batman (1989 or 1966 version? Both rocked!) higher up...but big ups to the listmakers for giving The Rocketeer the props it so richly deserves.
Paul Sorvino as that gangster guy, to Tim Dalton the Hollywood icon/Nazi spy: "I may not make an honest buck, but I'm 100% American. I don't work for no two-bit Nazi."
Star wipe, and...we're out. Thrillin' ain't easy. . . THE THRILL ACW-NWA Wisconsin Home Video Technical Director...& A2NWO 4 Life!
I agree completely, Thrill... as much as I loved "Supes 2" as a kid, it just doesn't hold up well at all. And really, "Batman" ought to be ranked higher. They could have just done a topical feature on all comic movies; it might have been fun to read about these crappy flicks. Instead, they created another unnecessary list column. Feh.
"Come to the Dark Side... You Know You Want To!" The Evil Buddha, spreading Alcoholism, Bad Humor and Chaos since 1971
aww...No. This is junk. X-Men 2 is the best movie of the year for me, but the original Superman is the Citizen Kane for comic book movies. Superman II is great, but not better than the original. It has more action and a better pacing, but there is only or two really great scenes in it and thats at the end of the movie. It is better than flying around the Earth ending, but still doesn't have the epic feel of the first one.
From Hell is only 17?! Christ, if Ghost World is in the top ten, so should this film as well as Akira. Rocketter is good, but not better than half the movies on this list. Daredevil is behind Time Cop?! What are they smoking at Wizard these days. Time Cop sucked hard, it was almost as bad as Batman and Robin. Plus, were are the other anime films like Metropolis?! Give me a fucking break.
All good points, but why has no one mentioned the presence of Howard the Duck? This movie is arguably the worst movie ever made. I don't understand how it could have made the list even if there were only 49 other comic book movies ever made.
46. Fantastic Four What. In the Blue. Hell. Is this doing on the list?
25. Batman 2 a severly underrated comic movie. As dark as the original, but with more sex and humor. Plus, Walken!
10. Blade yeah, it was pretty good
9. Batman Thanks to SciFi, I've seen this movie recently, and it doesn't hold up at all. The sound, the acting, the music, the very-dark cinematography. And man that script has some painful lines in it.
8. The Rocketeer a truly fine flick
7. Ghost World an exceptional film that should be number one
6. X-men a very small film that's made better by its sequel
5. Road to Perdition a really good film
4. Superman should be number two, honestly. I don't think any other comic film is so unabashedly a comic book come to life without being self-concious (except for that perfect phone booth moment).
3. Superman 2 it might be "kewl" but it ain't that good. Good moment: "Oh God." "Zod." Worst moment: The magic memory smooch.
2. Spider-man 1. X-2 Novelty wins out, I see. Let's see what they're like in three years.
So where's Dick Tracy?
"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
I may be a pariah for saying this, but X2 wasn't the best comic movie ever. It was hardly the best comic movie of the decade.
Batman ('89) was better. The story was better, and it finished things. Batman got his vengeance. Spider-Man was better. Ghost World was better. From Hell was better. Road To Perdition was much, much better.
X2 was fun. It had a light story and lots of cool effects and good acting. It was a good popcorn movie. But Batman, Superman, Spider-Man & the three graphic novels I mentioned all had one thing that made them better: meaning. X2 felt to me too much like set-up for something bigger & better, and that's what made the rest of the flicks better for me.
Your winner and 3-time Stanley Cup Champion...the New Jersey Devils! Their title defense begins in 4 months!
Come on, am I the only one who thought "Howard the Duck" wasn't THAT bad?
Also, I must agree that just naming fifty movies based on comic books would be difficult for me to do, let alone naming the fifty best comic book movies ... To be completely honest, I didn't even realize that some of these movies list were based on comic books.