I stopped by the KFC-Taco Bell for lunch and my first thought was "When did the gas station next door burn down?" But my next thought was on the new "sandwich".
First off, it's WAY bigger than I thought it would be (and pricier...$4.99). It's two full chicken breast fillets breaded in original recipe or grilled. If you're going to do the McDouble idea from the "It's Coming" thread, you may as well stick it in the middle of a double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, frankly.
The original recipe breading is kind of thin. It would have been WAY better in Extra Crispy form.
I mean really, massive amounts of sodium aside, the two combine to represent only 60 more calories than a Bacon Angus burger at McDonalds, so it's not like it's a massive amount of food. with the half of a Nachos Supreme, you still probably didn't beat out the calories in a Triple Baconator. I think you got almost three times the recommended daily amount of Protein though.
As I tweeted, I got a crispy Double Down on Friday, just to spite some people at work. It was ok, reminded me of a very low-rent Chicken Cordon Bleu (which is a favorite). I may need to try the grilled version, but something doesn't seem right about KFC's grilled chicken.
I now await the Taco Bell BellBeefer.
"Tattoos are the mullets of the aughts." - Mike Naimark
So I am ten minutes removed from my first Double Down. Thoughts as follows...
- I read a review (maybe linked in the "It's Coming-thread, maybe from Twitter) that bemoaned the quality of the cheese. While I wasn't disgusted by it, I did notice it but only because I was prejudiced from the review. At any rate, now that I've ingested it I think I'd rather have made it myself with higher quality cheese (but then, where would I get the bacon - oh you tricky KFC).
- The chicken was thermonuclear-level hot. This did not enhance my taste-experience.
- This has got to be the most drive-thru-unfriendly creation ever. At least with a burrito (even a Chipotle, Qdoba, or Taco Del Mar-sized one) you have a reasonable chance of eliminating/containing the mess if you solve the Jenga-ish riddle of eating it without putting pressure on the bottom and leaking pico juice or salsa. How one could eat a Double Down while driving without getting stuff on oneself is unimaginable. (I would pay to watch a guy in a rented tuxedo try to eat one in a car.)
- KFC "Original Recipe" chicken is salty. Bacon is salty. Put them together and you've got something...pretty damn salty.
- Finally, I found myself wishing it came on a bun. (Actually, this creation might be part of a conspiracy by the bun corporations to remind us how valuable buns really are.) Chicken breasts are not made to stack in any way shape or form, so between the crazy-hot temperature and the lack of a cohesive shape a bun would've made things much more manageable.
Holy fuck shit motherfucker shit. Read comics. Fuck shit shit fuck shit I sold out when I did my job. Fuck fuck fuck shit fuck. Sorry had to do it....
Revenge of the Sith = one thumb up from me. Fuck shit. I want to tittie fuck your ass. -- The Guinness. to Cerebus
I actually got the combo meal, because that's how I roll. COMBO MEAL STYLE. Also, since I was driving back here before I tackled it, I figured I could eat wedges on the way back. Fortunately, I remembered that you need to use a napkin after EVERY wedge and had many ready as well.
After some of the doom-n-gloom reviews I'd read, I was expecting something much less....well, "normal" probably isn't the correct word, but I will say that yes, I was able to take it out of the box, no, it hadn't congealed to any degree, yes, waiting until I drove back was probably a wise move because it didn't burn me, yes, it may be the saltiest thing I have eaten since my last tin of Kippered Snacks.
So, actually it just about MET my expectations - which is right about where I expected it to be. Ultimately - hey, my KFC has a BUFFET, so I'm NEVER ordering a "meal" there when I'm going...I'm hitting that buffet. This sandwich is no threat to that tactic.
Now, if they decide the world needs an extra crispy version, we can definitely revisit that subject...
Sounds like my experience was different (and better) than everyone else's. I thought it was absolutely FANTASTIC. Loved every second of it, and I wish I had gotten a second one (to go with my COMBO MEAL, high five Zed!)
I had no problem eating mine. Once you take it out of the box it comes in wax paper which was very handy for holding it and keeping your hands moderately clean. Definitely much easier to eat while driving (or multitasking) than just about anything you can get at Taco Bell and most things you can get at KFC.
I am already looking forward to my next one... or two.
Excellent overview, AJ_Levy! And I learned something new, too! I thought/assumed (silly me) that linux was basically another BSD-derivitave-offshoot, rather than a "from scratch" follower. I'm loving the BSD vs Linux (over-yonder.net)