The W
Views: 99842496
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
20.10.14 0457
The W - Current Events & Politics - Ted Turner: "FOX is like Hitler" (Page 2)
This thread has 36 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.23
Pages: Prev 1 2
(833 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (39 total)
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1266 days
Last activity: 1063 days
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
    Originally posted by CRZ
    My only shining light come from the lucky stars I should thank that I didn't have to endure an equally predictable post from Grimis.
Why bother? The quote speaks for itself.



Present and accounted for...
The Thrill
Banger








Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 186 days
Last activity: 32 days
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.25
Thanks for a great season, Pick of the Week fans...see you next year at Planet Magic in Denmark, WI!

It's disturbing that minds like Ted's can actually believe this crap.

I thought it was some Dutch guy named Marinus van der Lubbe, labeled as a "'feeble-minded' Communist" in World War II for Dummies, who started the Reichstag fire. So I Google'd his name...and came up with this list o'delusions just like ol' Ted was spouting.

And then I shook my head and wept for the blue states.



Star wipe, and...we're out.
Thrillin' ain't easy.



THE THRILL
ACW-NWA Wisconsin
Home Video Technical Director...&
A2NWO 4 Life!
(Click the big G to hear the Packers Fight Song in RealAudio...or try .MP3, .AU, or .WAV!)
Dahak
Frankfurter








Since: 12.5.02
From: Junction City OR.

Since last post: 2023 days
Last activity: 1676 days
#23 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.23
I have a question. Is there any evidence out there that Fox really is unfair? I don't watch it that much and while it does have a more conservative bent it seems like the opposite of CNN. Pretty much fair but with a conservative bent.



Marge I am just trying to get into heaven not run for Jesus.
geemoney
Scrapple








Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 8 hours
AIM:  
#24 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.85
    Originally posted by Dahak
    I have a question. Is there any evidence out there that Fox really is unfair? I don't watch it that much and while it does have a more conservative bent it seems like the opposite of CNN. Pretty much fair but with a conservative bent.

I watched a documentary in Visual Communications class about Fox News earlier this year. It talked to former anchors and people who used to work there who confirmed their bias. Internal memos were shown where they wanted the people covering the events to focus on a certain area of it that was sometimes not telling the whole story. Can't remember the title, though.

Edit: Found it: Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism



(edited by geemoney on 26.1.05 2036)

College, Sports and More!: Experience It
PalpatineW
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 2827 days
Last activity: 2669 days
AIM:  
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
    Originally posted by geemoney
      Originally posted by Dahak
      I have a question. Is there any evidence out there that Fox really is unfair? I don't watch it that much and while it does have a more conservative bent it seems like the opposite of CNN. Pretty much fair but with a conservative bent.

    I watched a documentary in Visual Communications class about Fox News earlier this year. It talked to former anchors and people who used to work there who confirmed their bias. Internal memos were shown where they wanted the people covering the events to focus on a certain area of it that was sometimes not telling the whole story. Can't remember the title, though.

    Edit: Found it: Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism



    (edited by geemoney on 26.1.05 2036)


Well there's an unimpeachable source!

I hope Bernard Goldberg's Bias was required reading, as well.



The master wouldn't approve.
AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 42 min.
AIM:  
Y!:
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.18
    Originally posted by geemoney
      Originally posted by Dahak
      I have a question. Is there any evidence out there that Fox really is unfair? I don't watch it that much and while it does have a more conservative bent it seems like the opposite of CNN. Pretty much fair but with a conservative bent.

    I watched a documentary in Visual Communications class about Fox News earlier this year. It talked to former anchors and people who used to work there who confirmed their bias. Internal memos were shown where they wanted the people covering the events to focus on a certain area of it that was sometimes not telling the whole story. Can't remember the title, though.

    Edit: Found it: Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism



    (edited by geemoney on 26.1.05 2036)


Greenwald is about in the ssame category as Michael Moore. Able to get funding and decidedly liberal in all parts of his focus. It's kinda like watching an expose on God and all He does wrong, by Filmmaker Lucifer. He's gonna find some issues.




You're putting Descartes before the horse!
geemoney
Scrapple








Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 8 hours
AIM:  
#27 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.85
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    Greenwald is about in the ssame category as Michael Moore. Able to get funding and decidedly liberal in all parts of his focus. It's kinda like watching an expose on God and all He does wrong, by Filmmaker Lucifer. He's gonna find some issues.

I see. I'd never heard of the guy before, so this is all new to me.




College, Sports and More!: Experience It
eviljonhunt81
Pepperoni








Since: 6.1.02
From: not Japan

Since last post: 2984 days
Last activity: 2981 days
#28 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.40
    Originally posted by Dahak
    I have a question. Is there any evidence out there that Fox really is unfair? I don't watch it that much and while it does have a more conservative bent it seems like the opposite of CNN. Pretty much fair but with a conservative bent.


About two weeks ago, FOX ran a story claiming some teacher in California, or somewhere equally "wacky," had banned the Declaration of Independence, or something equally anti-American. Of course, the story was not true. At all. Yet they ran it for something like 4 nights in a row. And that's just the latest example. It's not so much that FOX has a conservative bent, it's that it has a super-exploitative, sensationalistic and tabloid-esque bent, which isn't that suprising considering the owner. What is suprising is that some people take it seriously.

(edited by eviljonhunt81 on 26.1.05 2254)


Weekly Visitor - Constantly inane for over 2 years!

Bigfoot's Blog!
GodEatGod
Boudin rouge








Since: 28.2.02

Since last post: 62 days
Last activity: 1 day
#29 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.56
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    It's kinda like watching an expose on God and all He does wrong, by Filmmaker Lucifer. He's gonna find some issues.



Man, I would totally be first in line for that movie. It's actually a great idea for something that would totally skewer the 'political documentary' phenomenon the Michael Moore and his detractors popularized last year.

I think Fox News is popular as much for their formatting and editing as they are for their political bias. CNN is just boring, whether they're liberal or not. Fox manages to seem entertaining and loose, which is rather odd for conservatives as a rule.

And MSNBC? C'mon, Alyson Hannigan's one of their main anchors. What's next, "World Update with Carson Daly"?



"All I ever asked for in life is an unfair advantage." Microchip, Punisher Annual #2
Nag
Landjager








Since: 10.1.03
From: Enter your city here

Since last post: 2174 days
Last activity: 229 days
Y!:
#30 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.29
I won't comment on FOX's cable news as I haven't watched it for almost 3 years, but the local affiliate in Cleveland is as deplorable as it gets. About 20 percent of the program is dedicated to actual news, unless the radar shows alot of green in Illinois, in which case we are all told to rebuild the arc. The other 80, is half "A Current Affair" and half "Celebrity Justice". Oh and alot of in-program advertising for FOX shows.

Not sure if other markets are similar, nor if the responsibility lies with Rupert or the local brass. But if this represents the direction of FOX News as a whole, well I won't compare them to Hitler but I will compare them to horseshit.


whatever
Lap cheong








Since: 12.2.02
From: Cleveland, Ohio

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#31 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.35
    Originally posted by Nag
    I won't comment on FOX's cable news as I haven't watched it for almost 3 years, but the local affiliate in Cleveland is as deplorable as it gets. About 20 percent of the program is dedicated to actual news, unless the radar shows alot of green in Illinois, in which case we are all told to rebuild the arc. The other 80, is half "A Current Affair" and half "Celebrity Justice". Oh and alot of in-program advertising for FOX shows.

    Not sure if other markets are similar, nor if the responsibility lies with Rupert or the local brass. But if this represents the direction of FOX News as a whole, well I won't compare them to Hitler but I will compare them to horseshit.




At least they aren't "19 ACTION NEWS". 20% actual news would be about a 19% increase for them. This is the station that had one of their anchors pose nude for that "shock photographer" guy when he was in town and then made a huge ad blitz based on this "story".

You did give me a laugh at the weather bit, though. To be fair though, I think a lot of the stations here go waaaay overboard on their weather storm coverage. It's like a freakin' telethon.

I don't care much for FOX News though. Seems a bit too slick and opinionated for my taste. I do like CNN headline news - pretty much to the point. The blurbs at the bottom are getting both overbearing and full of more useless information, though.



"Lita holds a Stone Cold Steve Austin home pregnancy test. What will the Bottom Line say? Hell Yeah or Eh-EH?" - Raw Satire, 6/15/04

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - George W. Bush

UnsUwe
Chourico








Since: 6.7.02
From: Germany

Since last post: 561 days
Last activity: 204 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#32 Posted on
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    I wanted people LIKE HIM ESPECIALLY to post less often, and those people who read EVERY DAY and NEVER POST to post more often.



I feel personally addressed, even though I do not have anything to contribute to the topic, but I would like to let you know this:

I am one of those guys who comes here and reads EVERY DAY, but I barely made over 100 posts in 3 years. It is simply because of the happenings perfectly displayed in this topic. People get censored, people get banned, what for? Where is the Freedom of speech America always claims? I don't really get it. How can the mods edit a persons post? Don't get me wrong, what A Fan said up there is really a shame, and not only because I am german I say that there should NEVER EVER be made any comparisons to Hitler, especially not to just express something drastic, because this would downplay the blackest chapter in mankinds history! But I am talking in general. When I have to fear the mods to edit my post, or to offend someone with my thoughts, I am not interested in sharing my opinion. Over the past years I always come to The-W for the Wrestling news (this is my first post ever not in the Wrestling forum btw.), and there's no day I don't check and read about the latest rumours and events. And even if I get banned for this post too, I will still come here and read, and by not posting I can just enjoy the board discussions. So if I am a person like A Fan, and you don't agree with what I am saying, you can ban me if you like, it wouldn't make a big difference to me, it is just that I would be interested in posting more without fearing to offend someone.



Sweet dreams......
Ozzysun
Polska kielbasa








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3432 days
Last activity: 3314 days
AIM:  
#33 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.10
    Originally posted by UnsUwe
      Originally posted by Guru Zim
      I wanted people LIKE HIM ESPECIALLY to post less often, and those people who read EVERY DAY and NEVER POST to post more often.



    I feel personally addressed, even though I do not have anything to contribute to the topic, but I would like to let you know this:

    I am one of those guys who comes here and reads EVERY DAY, but I barely made over 100 posts in 3 years. It is simply because of the happenings perfectly displayed in this topic. People get censored, people get banned, what for? Where is the Freedom of speech America always claims? I don't really get it. How can the mods edit a persons post? Don't get me wrong, what A Fan said up there is really a shame, and not only because I am german I say that there should NEVER EVER be made any comparisons to Hitler, especially not to just express something drastic, because this would downplay the blackest chapter in mankinds history! But I am talking in general. When I have to fear the mods to edit my post, or to offend someone with my thoughts, I am not interested in sharing my opinion. Over the past years I always come to The-W for the Wrestling news (this is my first post ever not in the Wrestling forum btw.), and there's no day I don't check and read about the latest rumours and events. And even if I get banned for this post too, I will still come here and read, and by not posting I can just enjoy the board discussions. So if I am a person like A Fan, and you don't agree with what I am saying, you can ban me if you like, it wouldn't make a big difference to me, it is just that I would be interested in posting more without fearing to offend someone.


DITTO!

While I appriciate all the great advice Guru has given when it comes to computer problems and things like that, I feel the same. I come here 5-10 times a day just to see whats going on, but I too hardly ever post my opinions for the exact same reason.

(edited by Ozzysun on 28.1.05 0603)
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 13 hours
Last activity: 4 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#34 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.44
    Originally posted by Ozzysun
    DITTO!

    While I appriciate all the great advice Guru has given when it comes to computer problems and things like that, I feel the same. I come here 5-10 times a day just to see whats going on, but I too hardly ever post my opinions for the exact same reason.
Let's take this tangent over here: http://the-w.com/thread.php/id=24349



When it seems like the whole world is full of idiots,
maybe your standards are a bit high.
- Guru Zim
CRZ
EddieBurkett
Boudin blanc








Since: 3.1.02
From: GA in person, NJ in heart

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 3 hours
#35 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.21
    Originally posted by GodEatGod
    And MSNBC? C'mon, Alyson Hannigan's one of their main anchors. What's next, "World Update with Carson Daly"?


I'm guessing you mean Alison Stewart and not Hannigan. (Though if you're right, I may start watching MSNBC more...). Stewart served on ABC's World News Now (or whatever their late night/early morning news program was) for a while with Anderson Cooper, and if he's making a name for himself over on CNN, I see nothing wrong with Stewart ascending the news ranks too.



"Now that you've built up the courage to get into the gym, let me give you five reasons why you should put in the time to train with consistency: 1. Increased strength 2. Improved self-confidence 3. Injury prevention 4. Self-discipline 5. Sex (Trust me, you'll have a better shot with the ladies if you're in shape.)" -- Making the Game, pp. 14 - 15
The Thrill
Banger








Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 186 days
Last activity: 32 days
#36 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.25
Thanks for a great season, Pick of the Week fans...see you next year at Planet Magic in Denmark, WI!

    Originally posted by whatever
    At least they aren't "19 ACTION NEWS". 20% actual news would be about a 19% increase for them. This is the station that had one of their anchors pose nude for that "shock photographer" guy when he was in town and then made a huge ad blitz based on this "story".


You mean this? (Link courtesy Photogs' Lounge)



Know that the rest of mainstream media finds this stunt LAUGHABLE.



Star wipe, and...we're out.
Thrillin' ain't easy.



THE THRILL
ACW-NWA Wisconsin
Home Video Technical Director...&
A2NWO 4 Life!
(Click the big G to hear the Packers Fight Song in RealAudio...or try .MP3, .AU, or .WAV!)
AlanJackson
Medisterpoelse








Since: 24.12.04

Since last post: 3549 days
Last activity: 3249 days
#37 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    Just for the record, since "A Fan" mentioned it in his final post -

    I wanted people LIKE HIM ESPECIALLY to post less often, and those people who read EVERY DAY and NEVER POST to post more often.

    I wasn't begging anyone to come back, and I'm not asking for him to come back. In fact, just for the record, the person behind the "A Fan" persona is specifically not welcome here.

    Hope that cleared a few things up.


Hmmm. Sounds a little desperate to me.

You protest a little too much. Enjoy your message board as it withers and dies due to your megalomanical incompetence. I understand that you have little in your life to feel proud about, and being a little dictator on here fills a need for you and gives you validation, but really all you end up doing is looking like a petty, insecure asshole. There are plenty of better message boards online than this one, and I suggest that you get used to seeing people leave this one in favour of them. Enjoy, and goodbye.
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 13 hours
Last activity: 4 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#38 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.44
    Originally posted by AlanJackson
    Hmmm. Sounds a little desperate to me.
You're about five days late.

Oh no, one less Canadian posting here. What will we do?

PS I really wished you'd posted this in the spinoff thread at http://the-w.com/thread.php/id=24349 but then, you don't strike me as the kind of person to actually read the entire thread before responding anyway.

PPS On the plus side, he DID get you to double your post count before you left forever!



When it seems like the whole world is full of idiots,
maybe your standards are a bit high.
- Guru Zim
CRZ
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
#39 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
    Originally posted by AlanJackson
    Hmmm. Sounds a little desperate to me.

    You protest a little too much. Enjoy your message board as it withers and dies due to your megalomanical incompetence. I understand that you have little in your life to feel proud about, and being a little dictator on here fills a need for you and gives you validation, but really all you end up doing is looking like a petty, insecure asshole. There are plenty of better message boards online than this one, and I suggest that you get used to seeing people leave this one in favour of them. Enjoy, and goodbye.


You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but you are wrong. I also know that it is impossible to prove you wrong due to the nature of your argument, so I'm not going to bother.

Please enjoy judging the rest of the internet. I'm sure they will appreciate it as much as I do.



Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 5.23
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: The Purple Finger
Next thread: The White House's Daily Double
Previous thread: EFF releases Endangered Gizmos list
(833 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I wonder if they are thinking clearly here- do they really WANT to set the president that you need the 60 "filabuster blocking" votes to confirm a judge? This could seriously come back to haunt them if and when they re-take the White House.
- Shem the Penman, Miguel Estrada (2003)
The W - Current Events & Politics - Ted Turner: "FOX is like Hitler" (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.135 seconds.