I like how the warning isn't how the segment shouldn't be watched by children at their parent's discretion, but is instead asking more people to watch it. Just kinda made me smile. Like someone already said, it shows exactly how bad they feel about it. Anything to get two extra viewers, I guess.
We should all be open to the beliefs of individual Americans, recognizing that it is this diversity upon which America is based.
I'll remember that the next time they give an "Asian" guy a martial arts gimmick and/or give him "Oriental" music, hint that a black guy is a criminal, make a woman a heel because she doesn't want to strip, etc.
Inside Move: 'Smackdown' takes it on the chin WWE, UPN under attack for offensive match
World Wrestling Entertainment and UPN have heard from several concerned viewers following last Thursday's "WWE Smackdown," which depicted a terrorist-like attack involving a group of Arab-Americans and a wrestling opponent.
The episode aired the same day as the subway and bus bombings in London; UPN ran a crawl on its screen four times through the broadcast, noting that, "In light of today's tragic events in London, parental discretion is advised in viewing this episode."
That wasn't enough of a warning for some viewers, who took offense at the depiction of Arab-American wrestlers Daivari and Muhammad Hassan -- who was shown in the episode praying while five men wearing ski masks rushed the ring and choked the "good guy," longtime WWE wrestler the Undertaker.
WWE and UPN said they were unable to alter the episode, due to the tight timeframe between the show's taping earlier in the week and its Thursday night timeslot.
"We all feel bad about the timing of the segment," said WWE spokesman Gary Davis, who said the show wasn't attempting to depict a terrorist attack -- although he said he understood how some viewers might construe it as such. "People will see what happens this week (as the storyline) gets straightened out."
UPN spokeswoman Joanna Lowry said the network reserves the right to preempt "Smackdown" but didn't think it was necessary last Thursday.
"Due to the tragic events in London, we took the added measure of running an advisory four times throughout the broadcast so that viewers could make the appropriate viewing decision for their household," the network said in a statement. "We will continue to monitor the situation involving this character and storyline."
I guess they are sticking to the "not enough time to edit" story. And Vince is most likely happy that *someone* (other than the Internet) paid attention
Demonstrations are a drag. Besides, we're much too high
I would actually argue that Edge Christian, Matt and Jeff broke through as singles wrestler during Invasion and that was eight years ago. Edge would have been main eventing earlier if not for his bad luck with injury.