I have no problem getting to http://luchawiki.org at home, but when I try to check in from work, I can't get to the website.
I know - it's not a blocking/filtering issue - it's not the site just going down while I'm at work. I get RSS messages about site updates, and I can use LogMeIn to go on to my home computer from work and get to the site without a problem. - it's not a DNS issue; it's pinging the same IP on either computer - at home, I'm on a cable connection. At work, I'm on DSL, and it's a different provider.
Using tracert, I've noticed both the work and home computers get to the network that hosts the site, but to different computers on that network. I'd think all the computers inside the same network would share a routing table, but apparently not.
This is one of those questions where I'm sure there's some phrase to google me an answer, but I've only had luck finding unrelated stuff. I'm stumbling for an answer.
Is there a way to force your computer to use a intermediate to get to a website - when you go from A to C, you've got to go via B? Is this something I might be able to get around with a (free?) proxy server? I'd just go to my hosting company, but the bad routing appears to be happening on whomever hosts them, not their own computers, so I don't know if it's worth asking.
Traceroute isn't that useful over the internet. Usually at some point you get to an edge device and then don't get anymore results past it because ICMP packets aren't allowed out of whatever network you're trying to reach. "pathping" is allegedly available on Windows since NT came out, and it uses TCP packets, which might return more results. "tcptraceroute" will do the same under Linux.
Did you put in the extra when you did the telnet? You need to hit Enter twice after typing "host: luchawiki.org". The empty line tells the server it's the end of the query.
What actually happens when you try to go to the site from work? Have you tried multiple browsers/safe mode?
Originally posted by thecubsfan Connecting To luchawiki.org...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
There's the problem. Port 23 is the standard telnet port, which is blocked everywhere (or should be). You need to tell it to connect on port 80 by adding the port number to the telnet command:
telnet www.luchawiki.org 80 Connected to 22.214.171.124. Escape character is '^]'. GET / HTTP/1.1
Be sure to hit enter twice after "GET / HTTP/1.1"
The linux tcptraceroute defaults to port 80. Further research shows that pathping still uses ICMP, which means it's going to stop the same place tracert does. Wikipedia says a Windows binary of tcptraceroute can be found here (recommend you scan that file before installing it, for obvious reasons). Run it using port 80 as an argument so you're hitting the HTTP port. Also, running it with "-n" will prevent DNS lookups, which should speed things up significantly.
tcptraceroute was giving me a strange error; not sure if it was the download or if I just didn't have the syntax correct. Either way, I didn't have chance to mess with a couple days, and now the site is back to coming up naturally on my work computer. I presume someone upstream fixed a routing table or something.
Thank you messenoir and Guru Zim for the help on this subject- and ShotGunShep, sorry I dont have a link I can give you- but if you search right I bet you'll find Enterbrain's RPG Maker XP in English (I did)- Now if I could only find the Help File.