The W
Views: 99049896
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.9.14 1913
The W - Video Games - Smackdown vs. Raw reviewed (Page 2)
This thread has 424 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.77
Pages: Prev 1 2
(2360 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (36 total)
Mayhem
Scrapple








Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 1 day
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.59
    Originally posted by LanceJr
      Originally posted by Mayhem

      So I just got the game and have played in for a couple of hours ... I know that Orton, Jericho, JBL & Booker T are the World, IC, WWE & U.S. champs, respectively, but who are the other default champs?


    You guys really need to read others posts. I mentioned the fact only the 4 major titles are in the game previously, and therefore would have answered your repetitive question.


Yeah, I probably should read.

And I've discovered that you can't just throw anyone into a stable ... I tried making a stable of Angle, Haas & Jindrak. Jindrak & Haas do not have enough "points" to be in a stable with Angle. That just pisses me off.
CarlCX
Salami








Since: 1.5.02
From: California.

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 3 days
AIM:  
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.10
Well, I am thoroughly unimpressed with the season mode, which has grown yet more canned this time around. However, my new pet peeve:

Why the crap did they bring back the magical disappearing weapons? What is it--three, four hits with a steel chair, and then it drops and vanishes?

Gah. The more I play this, the less I like it, which is...a bad sign, given that I was still enjoying Here Comes The Pain as recently as last month.
CHAPLOW
Morcilla








Since: 14.5.04
From: right behind you

Since last post: 94 days
Last activity: 94 days
#23 Posted on
Wow, I had 60 dollars in my pocket and had to choose between SvR and GTA:San Andreas. It seems like I made the right choice; Smackdown series sounds like its finally going downhill, but San Andreas is the greatest GTA installment yet. It brings a tear to my eye it does... Ill have to rent SvR anyway just to be sure though.

Grove Street Families for life!



FACT: 100% of all car accidents are automobile related.
Bob C
Chorizo








Since: 5.9.04
From: Downtown

Since last post: 231 days
Last activity: 99 days
#24 Posted on
    Originally posted by CarlCX
    Well, I am thoroughly unimpressed with the season mode, which has grown yet more canned this time around. However, my new pet peeve:

    Why the crap did they bring back the magical disappearing weapons? What is it--three, four hits with a steel chair, and then it drops .


I am glad they did that. The repeated use of the chair was an easy way to win matches.

Anyway, I bought the game and I am satisfied (even if I am in the minority). The game never looked so good, create a ppv and create a belt are great additions, the mini-games and the heel/face meters are fun.

The funny thing is... I don't think the season mode was ever good. Every year, it's always the same. I don't know why, all of a sudden, everybody whines about how it's bad. The season mode was always repetitive.

Anyway, I am an happy customer so there.



Tiens mon copain!
CarlCX
Salami








Since: 1.5.02
From: California.

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 3 days
AIM:  
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.10
See, I understand the need for online balancing, but I'd rather have something be realistic and unbalanced than stupidly nonsensical. As it is, the only time I use the chair is in hardcore/no-DQ matches; why SHOULDN'T it be perfectly sensible to beat someone senseless with a chair that way?

Cheap-wise, they've kinda screwed it up anyway. I've been playing Shelton Benjamin in season mode, and I could pretty much win any match I wanted by clotheslining my opponent once, and then putting him in his Right+O single-leg crab over and over, without ever letting them stand up. Legs would get red within 6 or 7 crabs, tapout would follow suit shortly. THAT is a balance issue.

As to the season mode--I'm a little biased, since my favorite was the "walk around wherever you want" method from Shut Your Mouth, but I think the difference that brought it out of the repetitive zone for a lot of people was the sense of immersion. You actively walked around backstage in SYM, or you could check into the different rooms to find random encounters in HCTP, you could go into the GM's office and bug him for a title shot or a show transfer, etc., let alone the larger volume of choices you made throughout the campaign. There was a greater sense of personal decision throughout it; a greater sense that you were forging your own path (and given the aforementioned volume of choices, it was all the more likely that you could have distinctly different seasons, repeatedly).

The feeling that I (and quite a few others, apparently) am getting from SvR lacks that sense of experience. By taking away the wandering, the random encounters and most of the choices in general that you got to make, a big part of the immersion that got me hooked in earlier games is gone. It feels less like I'm playing through a superstar's career; more like I'm riding a predetermined rail through the game.

Mileage varies with taste and all, but that season mode was a big deal for a whole lot of people.
Irvine_frost
Cotto








Since: 11.12.03
From: Chile, Coyhaique city

Since last post: 2823 days
Last activity: 2807 days
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.16
I played the game today and i think it was fun but it has serious flaws in some aspects like the attires. john cena was the only one one with an extra attire. other flaw is that your superstar dont talk. the clean meter is harder to fill in season mode because of the lower ratings that the superstar have.



im lucky in a strange, twisted way
Freeway
Scrapple








Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 271 days
Last activity: 11 days
#27 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.81
    Originally posted by CarlCX
    See, I understand the need for online balancing, but I'd rather have something be realistic and unbalanced than stupidly nonsensical. As it is, the only time I use the chair is in hardcore/no-DQ matches; why SHOULDN'T it be perfectly sensible to beat someone senseless with a chair that way?

    Cheap-wise, they've kinda screwed it up anyway. I've been playing Shelton Benjamin in season mode, and I could pretty much win any match I wanted by clotheslining my opponent once, and then putting him in his Right+O single-leg crab over and over, without ever letting them stand up. Legs would get red within 6 or 7 crabs, tapout would follow suit shortly. THAT is a balance issue.

    As to the season mode--I'm a little biased, since my favorite was the "walk around wherever you want" method from Shut Your Mouth, but I think the difference that brought it out of the repetitive zone for a lot of people was the sense of immersion. You actively walked around backstage in SYM, or you could check into the different rooms to find random encounters in HCTP, you could go into the GM's office and bug him for a title shot or a show transfer, etc., let alone the larger volume of choices you made throughout the campaign. There was a greater sense of personal decision throughout it; a greater sense that you were forging your own path (and given the aforementioned volume of choices, it was all the more likely that you could have distinctly different seasons, repeatedly).

    The feeling that I (and quite a few others, apparently) am getting from SvR lacks that sense of experience. By taking away the wandering, the random encounters and most of the choices in general that you got to make, a big part of the immersion that got me hooked in earlier games is gone. It feels less like I'm playing through a superstar's career; more like I'm riding a predetermined rail through the game.

    Mileage varies with taste and all, but that season mode was a big deal for a whole lot of people.


My favorite "last resort" way of winning was grabbing a chair and bashing my opponent upside, then pinning him.

If they got rid of that, I'll be quite upset.



DVDs; Blog
Matt Tracker
Scrapple








Since: 8.5.03
From: North Carolina

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 3 hours
#28 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.69
    Originally posted by Freeway420
    My favorite "last resort" way of winning was grabbing a chair and bashing my opponent upside, then pinning him.

    If they got rid of that, I'll be quite upset.


I find the loss of the repetitive chair use is assuaged by the ability to grab a championship belt and crash into the opponent Shane-O'Mac style.

I like the gameplay in season mode. I've used Edge to great effect so far, although I'm not crazy about all these triple-threat matches. The feuding IC belts leading to a unification ladder match was fun, as was the subsequent Survivor Series Raw/SmackDown roster switch. The writing is better than what we get on the weekly shows.

It is difficult to charge up the Clean meter, but you can work around it by using diving attacks over and over. Even if you miss, you charge up the meter.

I'm bummed out by losing the option to play the other matches on the cards. That gave me a chance to work against wrestlers outside the limited feuds I had in HCTP.

I'm glad, so far, I got the game, but it's underwhelming in the total offering. Some nice new touches, but not as reaching in scope as before.



"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
Vgmastr
Cotechino








Since: 3.12.03
From: Neenah, WI

Since last post: 208 days
Last activity: 1 day
#29 Posted on
    Originally posted by Matt Tracker

    I like the gameplay in season mode. I've used Edge to great effect so far, although I'm not crazy about all these triple-threat matches. The feuding IC belts leading to a unification ladder match was fun, as was the subsequent Survivor Series Raw/SmackDown roster switch. The writing is better than what we get on the weekly shows.


I totally agree there. In SYM and HCTP, most of the storylines in season were taken right from the tv shows, so you knew what was going to happen, and the original ones were just really lame. This year, however, every storyline is original, and a lot are really well written. A bunch of times I've thought to myself, "Why didn't the WWE writers ever think of that?" I think the storyline where you're fighting over Trish is the best one.
EastCoastAvenger
Bockwurst








Since: 4.1.02
From: Clearwater, FL

Since last post: 1959 days
Last activity: 10 hours
#30 Posted on
Okay, someone tell me if this is "normal" or not. Well, common would be a better word. My created superstar is apparently a stud! This first 3 angles he was involved in revolved around WWE Divas. First Torrie left Tajiri for me, then Sable dissed Batista to get in my tights, then Stacy heard about me over on Smackdown and came to Raw to get some! Now I have a "stable" of female managers who I can call on to accompany me to the ring. Is this intentional in the game design? Because when I tried it with Charlie Haas, nothing like that happened!

Also, has anyone used "Create-A-Belt"? How is it?



Your fuck stock is ass-prone, nutcocker!
samoflange
Lap cheong








Since: 22.2.04
From: Cambridge, MA

Since last post: 338 days
Last activity: 330 days
#31 Posted on
    Originally posted by EastCoastAvenger
    Okay, someone tell me if this is "normal" or not. Well, common would be a better word. My created superstar is apparently a stud! This first 3 angles he was involved in revolved around WWE Divas. First Torrie left Tajiri for me, then Sable dissed Batista to get in my tights, then Stacy heard about me over on Smackdown and came to Raw to get some! Now I have a "stable" of female managers who I can call on to accompany me to the ring. Is this intentional in the game design? Because when I tried it with Charlie Haas, nothing like that happened!


It may be intentional for CAWs, as I've had the exact same senarios as you have had.



Lloyd: When I met Mary, I got that old fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her.
Harry: That's a special feeling.

"Jericho tries for the Walls of Jericho early on, but it is blocked by mysterious rays from Shawn Michaels while a message on the Titantron says, 'This move is mine now.' "
-RAW Satire, 05.10.04
Hogan's My Dad
Andouille








Since: 8.6.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 10 hours
#32 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.85
I totally banged Torrie w/ Booker T, so it's not just the CAW's.



Hot Virgins-The World's Most Steadily Shrinking Commodity
willmysensesfail
Pinkelwurst
Banned








Since: 14.3.04
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 2893 days
Last activity: 2892 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#33 Posted on
The only thing you can do with a regular superstar is bang Torrie Wilson... I've noticed the same thing as samoflange.. When you are a created wrestler you get more attention from the divas then you do when your someone like Booker, Cena or Undertaker.
Vgmastr
Cotechino








Since: 3.12.03
From: Neenah, WI

Since last post: 208 days
Last activity: 1 day
#34 Posted on
Actually, I bagged all four divas with Kane. It just matters whether or not you're a champion or going for a belt. Each month has a default storyline, which is what the divas storylines all are. You'll always get Torrie the first month, Sable in August, Stacy in November, and Trish in March if you're not a champion and you don't go to the memo at the beginning of the month and ask for a title shot. If you're in a title feud, you'll get a different storyline.
RawIsDan
Weisswurst








Since: 21.4.03
From: Houston, Tx

Since last post: 3447 days
Last activity: 3447 days
#35 Posted on
What bugged me about the storyline and the Diva's is being forced to deal with them whether you want to or not. I also miss walking around backstage as well.

The storylines from the early ones, IMO, were better and seemed to have more options. Now I have to wrestle for Sable whether I want to or not ? Pfft.
Irvine_frost
Cotto








Since: 11.12.03
From: Chile, Coyhaique city

Since last post: 2823 days
Last activity: 2807 days
#36 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.88
Fighting against jbl with eddie in the season mode i realize that the championship belts are de only weapons that last more than 3 hits



im lucky in a strange, twisted way
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 4.77
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: World of Warcraft
Next thread: Nintendo is actually cracking down on those crappy game systems in mall kiosks
Previous thread: SD vs. RAW Challenge Problem?
(2360 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
But, so far, the games aren't. Some of the cross-platform games look better on Xbox, I'll grant (Max Payne comes to mind)... but they still look pretty damn good on PS2, where you have a LOT more games to play.
- vsp, X-Box or PS2 (2002)
The W - Video Games - Smackdown vs. Raw reviewed (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.583 seconds.