The W
Views: 99928121
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.10.14 1859
The W - Pro Wrestling - Smackdown 5/1/2009
This thread has 4 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.43
Pages: 1
(2803 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (20 total)
Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.06
I'm really liking this post-draft version of Smackdown. I think I realized watching this show that SD has, like, 90 percent of my favorite current WWE wrestlers, plus Jim Ross.

The four-way was outstanding, particularly the last sequence. Surely Jeff and Rey have had a one-on-one match before, haven't they? If not, then that's a huge IC title match just waiting to happen.

I think Grisham said something to this effect, but since the bell hadn't rung on Punk's title challenge, it doesn't count as an actual match, right? So Punk still have the MITB to work with on a future week?



Kirk, crackers are a family food. Happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without.
Promote this thread!
geemoney
Scrapple








Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.51
    Originally posted by Big Bad


    I think Grisham said something to this effect, but since the bell hadn't rung on Punk's title challenge, it doesn't count as an actual match, right? So Punk still have the MITB to work with on a future week?

Correct. And this was the best (and most newsworthy) edition of Smackdown of the recent past that I can remember.

(edited by geemoney on 2.5.09 0221)
CruelAngel777
Frankfurter








Since: 7.4.02

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 8 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.34
Morrison is apparently going face now and will fued with JERICHO? Holy Wednesday night Thunder Ratman best fued ever! Almost made me forget I have a paper due in 48 hours. There wasn't one bad moment on the show for me. I even liked the diva dance-off (mainly cause my eyes got 'ta feasting on Layla again). CM Punk is back in the main event and Umaga is back.

The only way they could make Smackdown get any better is if Heyman returned.

(edited by CruelAngel777 on 2.5.09 0000)
MUTigermask
Boudin rouge








Since: 8.10.03
From: Columbia MO

Since last post: 474 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.12
I can't help but laugh at my friends who don't get MyNetwork at this point. There are a few guys I'm a fan of on Raw, but SD just blows it out of the water for me. I wasn't that excited for Judgement Day with Batista/Orton and Cena/Show on the card, but if they can do Hardy/Edge, Jericho/Morrison maybe, Rey/Shelton or Ziggler?, and Punk/Umaga, I'd be interested(if I wasn't jobless and broke at this point). Add on a decent Colons/Legacy matchup also. I wonder if perhaps they'll save the inevitable Jericho/Taker match-up for Summerslam? Just build it up over the entire summer and I'd buy just for that match.
Oliver
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: #YEG

Since last post: 23 hours
Last activity: 22 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.61
I can't help but cheer for Morrison. He's hilarious on the mic, and plays the dick heel role to perfection. Miz and Morrison were easily my favorite tag team over the past few years, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the 'E does with him.




I love this town!
djp
Morcilla








Since: 16.2.07
From: 3rd Floor, NW window

Since last post: 129 days
Last activity: 15 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.18
    Originally posted by Oliver
    I can't help but cheer for Morrison. He's hilarious on the mic, and plays the dick heel role to perfection. Miz and Morrison were easily my favorite tag team over the past few years, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the 'E does with him.


That and his in-ring ability is outstanding. He can move like few others and is almost always entertaining with a match. I loved the match with Benjamin and look forward to more matches with Jeff Hardy and hopefully Edge and Jericho.
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 2 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.92
I am growing more and more fond of Dirk Zigglar. I hope they give him a very decent push. He has all the moves and is a young Curt Hennig in my eyes. Lots of potential.

Morrison vs Jerricoh will be gold. Can't wait for the promo war between them.

The ending was a bit busy. Umaga returning would have been enough of an OH SHIT moment, but throw in Jeff Hardy too? Too much for me, but it still seemed to work.
geemoney
Scrapple








Since: 26.1.03
From: Naples, FL

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.51
    Originally posted by StaggerLee
    I am growing more and more fond of Dirk Zigglar. I hope they give him a very decent push. He has all the moves and is a young Curt Hennig in my eyes. Lots of potential.


Apparently, you haven't met him yet.....his name is DOLPH ZIGGLER.
dMp
Banger








Since: 4.1.02
From: The Hague, Netherlands (Europe)

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.13
Ok, in between all the good wrestling related stuff we get a dance contest (wow! what a job for cryme tyme) which actually intersted me.
Unlike usually the girls busted moves.
And both looked smoking.

But erhmm yeah back to the wrestling. Great promos and solid matches. Even the stuff with the woman from the View was good.





Avatar Mud
Quezzy
Knackwurst








Since: 6.1.02
From: The Moon

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.54
So for those of us that didn't see Smackdown what exactly did Umaga do?

And what happened with Punk? Did he not win the first match so he didn't cash in the MITB? I only saw the four way match due to the Mets/Phillies game.



Lance's Response:

THAT IS AWESOME!
Super Shane Spear
Bierwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Sector 7 Slums

Since last post: 1591 days
Last activity: 1591 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.30
Punk won the match following the GTS and then attempted to cash in the briefcase but was while he was getting that business handled Umaga slipped into the ring and kicked Punk in the face once he turned back around to Edge. The bell never rang, so he still holds the shot.



You should listen to what I listen to
Also, I twoot now. @swedding
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 2 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.92
    Originally posted by geemoney
      Originally posted by StaggerLee
      I am growing more and more fond of Dirk Zigglar. I hope they give him a very decent push. He has all the moves and is a young Curt Hennig in my eyes. Lots of potential.


    Apparently, you haven't met him yet.....his name is DOLPH ZIGGLER.


Sorry, Guess I had him confused with Dirk Diggler.
Quezzy
Knackwurst








Since: 6.1.02
From: The Moon

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.54
    Originally posted by Super Shane Spear
    Punk won the match following the GTS and then attempted to cash in the briefcase but was while he was getting that business handled Umaga slipped into the ring and kicked Punk in the face once he turned back around to Edge. The bell never rang, so he still holds the shot.


Thanks for the clarification. I think the nice thing about Smackdown right now is there are so many guys that are equal on the top level. In a match involving any two of Edge, Hardy, Punk, Jericho, Umaga, Kane and Mysterio anybody could win. Maybe even Morrison and Shelton will be added to the mix too. Really the only guy whose matches will be pretty predictable are the Undertaker but he's a special case and doesn't wrestle that often.

Raw on the other hand will be pretty predictable week in and week out. I'd like to think that MVP and Matt Hardy would get serious pushes but probably only to a certain point.



Lance's Response:

THAT IS AWESOME!
used2bcool
Bockwurst








Since: 5.11.08
From: Lake Forest, IL

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.61
    Originally posted by Quezzy
    Raw on the other hand will be pretty predictable week in and week out. I'd like to think that MVP and Matt Hardy would get serious pushes but probably only to a certain point.


I think MVP's being primed for a substantial push of some sort, but I don't see them throwing Matt Hardy a bone. He's probably a prime candidate for the role of stuck-in-midcard-hell. Well, he and the Miz. That is, if they don't feed the Miz to Cena in a 2-minute squash this week on Raw. But at least that promo was fun, including the supremely backhanded comment "C'mon, Cena, the spotlight's on you!"



Forfeit the game, before somebody else takes you outta the game, and puts your name to shame
Cover up your face, you can't run the race
The pace is too fast, you just won't last
- "Points Of Authority" - Linkin Park
TheBucsFan
TheChiefsFan








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 71 days
Last activity: 71 days
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.31
    Originally posted by used2bcool
      Originally posted by Quezzy
      Raw on the other hand will be pretty predictable week in and week out. I'd like to think that MVP and Matt Hardy would get serious pushes but probably only to a certain point.


    I think MVP's being primed for a substantial push of some sort, but I don't see them throwing Matt Hardy a bone. He's probably a prime candidate for the role of stuck-in-midcard-hell. Well, he and the Miz.


Eh, people would have said the same kinds of things about Austin, Jericho, Edge, Jeff Hardy, etc, at various points in their career. It's impossible to tell. If you had told me in 2002 that Jeff Hardy would one day be a world champion headlining pay-per-views with the likes of Triple H one day, I'd have called you crazy. Now obviously Jeff Hardy is not the centerpiece of the company, but he's done damn well for himself. By definition, there can only be a small number of top, top, top guys, and if not being one of them is the same as "midcard hell," then the phrase "midcard hell" is useless.

EDIT: I just want to add, there's nothing wrong, in my view, with complaining about the current booking of a given wrestler. I'm just saying there's no reason to believe Miz won't one day be given that little character tweak or that perfect angle that elevates him to ... whatever standard you want to use.

(edited by TheBucsFan on 4.5.09 2212)
oldschoolhero
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: nWo Country

Since last post: 1986 days
Last activity: 1920 days
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
Hear, hear. Being a perennial midcarder in the world's biggest wrestling company is hardly a failed career.
Besides, with the lack of top heels on Raw (Orton, Show...that's it) Hardy's in a pretty good position. I could see him getting programs with some of the less selfish guys-Michaels and Cena spring to mind.



"And here...we...go."
The Goon
Boudin blanc
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.88
No mention of Sherri Shepherd? I thought her ringside appearance was pretty funny.

And don't forget - MVP is on The View tomorrow(Tuesday)!
Quezzy
Knackwurst








Since: 6.1.02
From: The Moon

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 2 hours
AIM:  
#18 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.54
There is nothing wrong with being a midcard in the WWE. In fact some of my favorite wrestlers (The Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho, Benoit, Angle, Bret hart, Shawn Michaels) I enjoyed just as much as IC Champions, sometimes even more. But two points.
1. Clearly the WWE doesn't put as much attention on their midcarders as they did even in 2002. The IC title means nothing. The US title means nothing. The tag titles mean nothing. The midcards don't get as many storylines. So yeah in 2002 it wasn't bad to be Jeff Hardy and be in one of the best series of tag matches ever. It wasn't bad being Jericho and constantly getting storylines with Benoit, Angle, Eddie, RVD, Edge, etc. But the WWE doesn't pay as much attention to the mid card now and their talent isn't as stacked either.

2. Jeff Hardy was a midcarder in 2002 and he was World Champion in 2008. So yeah, you have a point, the WWE has elevated people lately but will somebody like MVP or the Miz be elevated now like CM Punk or in 6 years like Jeff Hardy? If it's in 6 years like Jeff Hardy then I don't see a reason to watch Raw now. Plus, both CM Punk and Jeff Hardy's title reigns were not exactly spectacular. I have a feeling that the boss wasn't too high on either so I have to wonder if they'll hesitate to pull the trigger on somebody else. Especially MVP who they didn't seem to want to push on Smackdown.

And yeah, the title isn't all that's important. If MVP and the Miz keep getting some kind of storyline but don't win the the title then that's fine. But I'm just not convinced it isn't going to be the Cena/Triple H/Orton/Batista show in a few weeks. I'm still going to watch Raw, because I am interested in what they do with MVP and the Miz, but I just have more faith that Smackdown is going to deliver.

(edited by Quezzy on 4.5.09 1012)


Lance's Response:

THAT IS AWESOME!
TheBucsFan
TheChiefsFan








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 71 days
Last activity: 71 days
#19 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.12
    Originally posted by Quezzy
    There is nothing wrong with being a midcard in the WWE. In fact some of my favorite wrestlers (The Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho, Benoit, Angle, Bret hart, Shawn Michaels) I enjoyed just as much as IC Champions, sometimes even more. But two points.
    1. Clearly the WWE doesn't put as much attention on their midcarders as they did even in 2002. The IC title means nothing. The US title means nothing. The tag titles mean nothing. The midcards don't get as many storylines. So yeah in 2002 it wasn't bad to be Jeff Hardy and be in one of the best series of tag matches ever. It wasn't bad being Jericho and constantly getting storylines with Benoit, Angle, Eddie, RVD, Edge, etc. But the WWE doesn't pay as much attention to the mid card now and their talent isn't as stacked either.

    2. Jeff Hardy was a midcarder in 2002 and he was World Champion in 2008. So yeah, you have a point, the WWE has elevated people lately but will somebody like MVP or the Miz be elevated now like CM Punk or in 6 years like Jeff Hardy? If it's in 6 years like Jeff Hardy then I don't see a reason to watch Raw now. Plus, both CM Punk and Jeff Hardy's title reigns were not exactly spectacular. I have a feeling that the boss wasn't too high on either so I have to wonder if they'll hesitate to pull the trigger on somebody else. Especially MVP who they didn't seem to want to push on Smackdown.

    And yeah, the title isn't all that's important. If MVP and the Miz keep getting some kind of storyline but don't win the the title then that's fine. But I'm just not convinced it isn't going to be the Cena/Triple H/Orton/Batista show in a few weeks. I'm still going to watch Raw, because I am interested in what they do with MVP and the Miz, but I just have more faith that Smackdown is going to deliver.

    (edited by Quezzy on 4.5.09 1012)


Yeah, you are right. But the fact is, there's no reason to assume Triple H, Batista, Jericho, and maybe one or two others will still be as dominant figures as they are now in six or seven years, if they're still around at all. They very well could be, but I think it's safe to say at least a couple of the current midcard guys will be on-screen leaders in that amount of time. But I agree Jeff Hardy had more working in his favor then than the Miz does now. Why do you think that is? Like, what really caused it? Was it the Brand Extension?

(edited by TheBucsFan on 5.5.09 0043)
shawnpatrick
Kishke








Since: 31.7.07
From: Leesville SC

Since last post: 889 days
Last activity: 771 days
#20 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.40
As bad as Raw is getting, Smackdown is getting that much better. There is no pecking right now on Smackdown which makes it great. Raw on the other hand, you know who is #1 face, #1 heel, #2 heel, #2 face etc
Thread rated: 4.43
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: The Future of CM Punk
Next thread: RAW #832 5/4/09
Previous thread: Silly question about DVDs and announcers.
(2803 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
As soon as I read the "Shell of his former self" without anything else, I figured it would be taken out of context, because you really need to hear the whole thing and even the tone of how Eric said it.
Related threads: Smackdown! 04/10/2008 - WWE SmackDown #501 3.27.09 - WWE Smackdown # 500 (03/21/2009) - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - Smackdown 5/1/2009Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.383 seconds.