I'm walking out of the show, trying to use the car locator app on my phone to remember where I parked (should've listed to the advice) before the battery finally dies, when I remember it has a screen that tells you've parked. I guess this is helpful if you're parking in garage, but I've never done so it just seems random here. I like random, so I check to how long I've been in the Eagles Club, arriving a bit late but staying for the whole show. The app screen says, in big glowing red numerals, "7 hours 7 minutes."
And then the battery died of exhaustion. I was not far behind it.
Saturday's SHIMMER must've been pretty good, because as long as it was, I did stay for all off it. And I understand the reasons why they tape 2 DVDs in a night. But I'd probably go more than once every four years if it was a normal length show.
People ask about the creepy people who go to women's wrestling shows. There were definitely creepy people there, but they were vastly out numbered by the normal indy wrestling people. There were a couple of people who were, uh, off their rocker, which is to be expected at any wrestling show, though they expressed it in slightly different ways. The massive lines for merchandise/photos/autographs during intermission are probably longer than normal indy shows, though.
Not going to write about all 24 (!!) matches, because I don't know what I'm talking about (more than usual) and there's probably 3 people left reading this. My highlights
- really probably would've left early if they didn't start the second DVD taping by promising Sara del Rey vs Kana. Death Ray is Death Ray, and KANA is someone (one of many) I didn't know at all but people appeared to be very excited to have her on the show. The match was pretty good, and I kind of get it, but not totally sold. They gave away the result six hours prior, showing KANA refuse to shake both Del Ray and Cheerleader Melissa's hands earlier (every promotion is going to do that bit the next twelve months, thanks RVD) and surely KANA wasn't going to lose the first of those two matches, but it was still pretty dramatic.
- Madison Rayne wrestled, and it wasn't until I read Twitter that I realized it was her. TNA!
- We can't call women "beasts" because there's a negative conation there, but if we COULD use that in the Calvin Johnson Is A Beast Sense, it would accurately describe Ayako Hamada. She was unreal on this show, just destroying her opponents. Ayako & Ayumi Kurihara's tag title win over Daizee Haze & Tomoka Nakagawa wasn't technically the best match on the show, but was probably my favorite based on how they all played it out.
Ayumi's been really good in her short CMLL stints and was a reason I came to the show, but she was overshadowed by her partner. Nakagawa was quite good here too, but the point I need to make is there was a time where Ayako was in AAA and I really didn't like her. I was a fool, such a fool.
- After Daizee's loss (where she got in heel offense early but was mostly kept out of the action late), she quit SHIMMER and is apparently retired for the time being. Good performance to go out on.
- Mercedes Martinez has great squash matches.
- Britani Knight, just signed to a WWE deal, was still all over these shows as they ran an angle to write her out over the weekend. She's part of a mother/daughter team; she plays spoiled whiny child, mother Saraya is domineering/menacing, and they're just great at the act. They play off the crowd and each other superb. They got a burnt out crowd into the show with quick back and forth; you can tell they've had a lot of experience with close rowdy crowds. There's no telling how people are going to translate to WWE, but Britani seems like she could work out.
- Other people I only vaguely knew coming in but really would go out of my way to see again: Portia Perez, Hiroyo Matsumoto (always such a smiling face while she's destroying someone), maybe Jessie McKay.
- Other people I only vaguely knew coming in and were good but didn't quite grab me as much: Serena Deeb (though she did quite kill herself in her title shot; promo didn't work for me), Madison Eagles (killed Serena good, didn't have much character time). Nicole Matthews was borderline here or the last group, wanted to her in a tag context.
- I've been reading Mia Yim's Twitter account at times recently for reasons to obscure to mention even in this absurdly too long post, so it was cool to actually see her in a couple matches. Once I figured out what Leva Bates' deal was, she was also really entertaining.
Next show - well, it was Sunday, but it's going to be Monday by the time I finish this post. If they're running every six months, I guess they're back in April? If you like the Dave Prazak in ROH, go to the Shimmer website and order the DVDs, I'm pretty sure he'd appreciate it.
I am trying not to be jealous of you for getting to be there, but it must have been totally awesome. .Just wondering what you thought about the new California girls, Buggy Nova and Davina Rose. I know them from out here so I'm a little biased but would like hear your point of view on how the crowd reacted to them. & since you probably haven't seen her live, Christina Von Eerie as well (this is her 2nd time there.) So glad to hear about Melissa! Looking forward to your next post!
Is Madison Eagle, really that good or is Shimmer afraid putting the belt on Del Rey and Melissa will be a bit much? I have heard various reports that she is terrible to ok to one of the best workers in the business.
The Wee Baby Sheamus.
Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
Just wondering what you thought about the new California girls, Buggy Nova and Davina Rose.
Nova was only on the pre-show (there was a pre-show! of three matches! before the seven hour show! and the last pre-show match ended in a time limit draw!) which I missed. Davina was more or less enhancement talent in her two matches, but I thought she was good in that role, especially in the first match versus against Mercedes Martinez.
since you probably haven't seen her live, Christina Von Eerie as well
Crowd really liked her and her match was OK, if I recall it right. I think there was one tragic moment, but it was otherwise good.
Is Madison Eagle, really that good or is Shimmer afraid putting the belt on Del Rey and Melissa will be a bit much?
They did end up putting the belt on Melissa to end the weekend. Eagles was technically good, and both her singles matches were among the best on the show, but she didn't click with me as a personality; she was more a foil for her two challengers. Kind of had the same problem with Melissa.
Kana is sort of like Tajiri. She's great if she can go out and give people concussions, but if she's working a toned down, American style, I don't think it'd really translate well. Lord knows she'd probably kill Del Ray at this point.
I like Jessie McKay and Brittani Knight, and I wouldn't be shocked if they were both under WWE contract at some point (I know Brittani is on a developmental deal). You can really never have too many accents in the Divas division.
I've officially exhausted my knowledge of women's wrestling.
Originally posted by spfI told you to park on 26th cubs! There was plenty of room by my Smart car
I was thinking about this when I drove by the building and saw a police officer just hanging and the corner entrance, waiting for something. Waiting to give me a ticket, I figured! (Waiting to charge people double if they left the building to smoke, I guessed later. Berwyn is weird.)
(I can't blame you - NFL RED ZONE WAS ON)
This was actually the reason. It's more socially acceptable to nap during the Red Zone then a wrestling show.
Vol 41-42 was the second taping I have been to ( the first being 39-40) and I mist say getting there early was a good choice had awesome 2nd row facing the camera seats.Still getting to know who's who. But I know a good chunk of the roster. I do have some questions first has Mia Yim ever won a match in Shimmer? 2nd Did that top rope flipping Stunner Athena did look as nasty to at any one else? 3rd why doesn't Kana wear boots?( really it took me until the end of her first match to see she was barefoot.)4th Does every Shimmer tittle match require them to brawl out side the ring? and lastly How long is it going to take for me to learn everyone's music? I only know maybe 5 or 6 of their themes most of them just sound the same.
(edited by yamcharulez on 4.10.11 1825) Dont say its not worth it, when you can sleep with no fear, that kind of time is worth any thing.- FFX
Originally posted by spf Cubs, where did you end up sitting on Saturday
Just found the first seat I could find nearest the entrance of the building, second to last row. This worked fine until intermission, where it turned out I was close enough to the Japanese table that people were bumping me with their backpacks.
Hmmm, let's say HHH drops the title to Michaels before Wrestlemania, freeing him to take Batista's place in the proposed Rock N Sock Connection match (which improves the backstory to that match immeasurably).