The W
Views: 100802518
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.11.14 0926
The W - Random - Semantics...."My bad"
This thread has 2 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.10
Pages: 1
(899 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (14 total)
Jonny_English
Mettwurst








Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 2884 days
Last activity: 2707 days
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.19
"My bad" is a phrase that hasn't really crossed the Atlantic (outside the realm of my 9 year old watching Kim Possible), and without wishing to sound stupid, I'm struggling with it.

What is the correct usage of this phrase? Often it can be read as "my bad judgement", sometimes "my bad luck". It would make a number of posts easier for me to read if I could crack this, rather than guessing.
Promote this thread!
DEAN RASMUSSEN
He is DEAN








Since: 11.12.01
From: Richmond, Va, U-S-A!

Since last post: 1323 days
Last activity: 1321 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.85
    Originally posted by Jonny_English
    "My bad" is a phrase that hasn't really crossed the Atlantic (outside the realm of my 9 year old watching Kim Possible), and without wishing to sound stupid, I'm struggling with it.

    What is the correct usage of this phrase? Often it can be read as "my bad judgement", sometimes "my bad luck". It would make a number of posts easier for me to read if I could crack this, rather than guessing.


It's slang fer "my fault."



YES, I AM DEAN.
dwaters
Lap cheong








Since: 16.10.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.72
Usually "my bad" = "my mistake" or "sorry"

Clerk: "This shirt costs $20. You just handed me a ten"
Customer: "My bad"

This phrase just grated on me when I heard it, but after 7-8 years of hearing kids say it, it's just accepted now.

What still gets to me are people who start every sentence they utter with the word "Dude". It doesn't matter if they are talking to friends, doctors, teachers.
"Dude, I'm going to get that CD when it comes out. Dude, that wasn't cool. Dude, what are you getting for lunch. Dude, I've had this cough for a week now. Dude, that was sweet. Dude, why'd you give me a "C"? Dude, dude, dude, dude,....

ahhh, that felt better.......Dude.

EddieBurkett
Boudin blanc








Since: 3.1.02
From: GA in person, NJ in heart

Since last post: 17 days
Last activity: 2 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.16
From one of my favorite promos:

"First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle



"Now that you've built up the courage to get into the gym, let me give you five reasons why you should put in the time to train with consistency: 1. Increased strength 2. Improved self-confidence 3. Injury prevention 4. Self-discipline 5. Sex (Trust me, you'll have a better shot with the ladies if you're in shape.)" -- Making the Game, pp. 14 - 15
odessasteps
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: MD, USA

Since last post: 159 days
Last activity: 126 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.41
    Originally posted by EddieBurkett
    From one of my favorite promos:

    "First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle


Didn't he also make "air quotes" when he said it?



Mark Coale
Odessa Steps Magazine
The Affirmation, Baby Blog
JoshMann
Andouille








Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 2324 days
Last activity: 2321 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.78
    Originally posted by odessasteps
      Originally posted by EddieBurkett
      From one of my favorite promos:

      "First of all, Undertaker, I would like to apologise for ruining your tag team title match, and for soiling your motor-bike with milk. As they would say on the streets...my bad." -- Kurt Angle


    Didn't he also make "air quotes" when he said it?


He absolutely used air quotes...plus seeing it in print doesn't do justice how so very dorkish Angle sounded (even by Angle standards) while saying it.



"Meet the kite-eating tree you son of a bitch!"

JohnPi
Haggis








Since: 2.1.02
From: Highland, Michigan

Since last post: 2213 days
Last activity: 1720 days
AIM:  
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.55
To this day, I still use the Angle "As they say on the streets. . . " when speaking with people. It's funny that only about 1.5 people that I know actually get the reference.
Lise
Mrs. Guru








Since: 11.12.01

Since last post: 451 days
Last activity: 6 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.37
Is "Oops" used in Britain? "My bad" can pretty much be substituted for "oops".





...oh bother.
The Goon
Boudin blanc
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Since last post: 12 days
Last activity: 2 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.08
Jonny_English, if you follow the Premiership, check out Fernando Hierro's face after he scored on his own team(Bolton) in today's match against Aston Villa.

His facial expression is an excellent representation of "my bad".
Jonny_English
Mettwurst








Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 2884 days
Last activity: 2707 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.20
    Originally posted by The Goon
    Jonny_English, if you follow the Premiership, check out Fernando Hierro's face after he scored on his own team(Bolton) in today's match against Aston Villa.

    His facial expression is an excellent representation of "my bad".


Haven't seen it. Can I assume it's an "Aaahhhh, bollocks" kind of deal? Which, incidentally, has probably replaced "oops" as the most common indication of an error.
ekedolphin
Scrapple








Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 158 days
Last activity: 5 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
A Dictionary.com definition for the benefit of my fellow Americans:

bollocks

v : make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement" [syn: botch, bumble, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, fluff, bollix, bollix up, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up]



“Hi, Haley. Look, I found all these free swords. They were in my spleen.”
--Elan, The Order of the Stick

Four-Time Wiener of the Day (5/27/02; 7/3/02; 7/30/04; 8/28/04)

The Only Five-Time (and Last) N.E.W. World Heavyweight Champion

Certified RFMC Member-- Ask To See My Credentials!

Jonny_English
Mettwurst








Since: 18.3.04
From: Derby, UK

Since last post: 2884 days
Last activity: 2707 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.20
    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    A Dictionary.com definition for the benefit of my fellow Americans:

    bollocks

    v : make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement" [syn: botch, bumble, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, fluff, bollix, bollix up, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up]


My bad ekedolphin, I should have explained that.











Did I get it right?
whatever
Lap cheong








Since: 12.2.02
From: Cleveland, Ohio

Since last post: 22 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.61
    Originally posted by Jonny_English
    My bad ekedolphin, I should have explained that.

    Did I get it right?

Yes, and congratulations, you are now well on your way to understanding our decaying grammar! ;)



"Lita holds a Stone Cold Steve Austin home pregnancy test. What will the Bottom Line say? “Hell Yeah” or “Eh-EH”?" - Raw Satire, 6/15/04
(Apparantly ours said "Hell Yeah", 03/08/05)

ekedolphin
Scrapple








Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 158 days
Last activity: 5 days
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
Oh, incidentially, you may want to visit UrbanDictionary.com for more definitions of some bad grammar, heehee.



“Hi, Haley. Look, I found all these free swords. They were in my spleen.”
--Elan, The Order of the Stick

Four-Time Wiener of the Day (5/27/02; 7/3/02; 7/30/04; 8/28/04)

The Only Five-Time (and Last) N.E.W. World Heavyweight Champion

Certified RFMC Member-- Ask To See My Credentials!

Thread rated: 5.10
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Goodbye Radio Shack Canada...Hello "Source by Circuit City"
Next thread: TUESDAY'S DVDVR CROSSWORD- WEST VIRGINIA
Previous thread: Finger Food
(899 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Yeah..in the sense that a satellitte in geostationary orbit goes over Beshoar, Colorado.
- Grimis, nOOb here (2003)
The W - Random - Semantics...."My bad"Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.157 seconds.