The W
Views: 99967348
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
@930 .beats
The W - Current Events & Politics - Self Love 101
This thread has 7 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1(2147 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (9 total)
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 479 days
Last activity: 479 days
#1 Posted on
Yes, its finally been confirmed. The networks at heart don't really care about Republicans or Democrats. They just truly love themselves. MSNBC has just proven that once again. After correspondent David Bloom died of an embollism in Iraq (non-conflict death), MSNBC decides that is the perfect reason to halt war coverage for a 1 hour 'David Bloom Retrospective.' Now, if it was Brokaw or Russert who died; or even Rather confirming he was a senile fool, I could understand devoting an hour of time to their lives. But David Bloom? That is really stretching it during news cycle downtimes, let alone when the network has decided to go Wall-to-Wall War for 3 weeks. The only question now is, which group loves themselves more: The Media or Hollywood?

(edited by redsoxnation on 6.4.03 2143)


There is only one man left to save Vince McMahon and the WWF/E. Where have you gone Greg Gagne, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
Promote this thread!
asteroidboy
Andouille








Since: 22.1.02
From: Texas

Since last post: 1429 days
Last activity: 337 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.95
I'd say it's a tossup. In Hollywood, you've got good old-fashioned vanity, but with journalists, you'll never meet a more insecure, self-absorbed, conceited bunch of people.

Add ugly if they work in newspapers. Stupid if it's TV. :)



-- Asteroid Boy


Wiener of the day: 23.7.02

"My brother saw the Undertaker walking through an airport."
"Was he no-selling?"
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 22.4.02
From: Long Island

Since last post: 32 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#3 Posted on

    Originally posted by asteroidboy
    I'd say it's a tossup. In Hollywood, you've got good old-fashioned vanity, but with journalists, you'll never meet a more insecure, self-absorbed, conceited bunch of people.

    Add ugly if they work in newspapers. Stupid if it's TV. :)



Except that in many cases, TV journalists are probably more likely to be bitter, jaded drunks than your description. They're just more visible.



Today's Out-Of-Context Quote, Courtesy of Bullitt:

"NOTHING'S funnier than midget porn."
asteroidboy
Andouille








Since: 22.1.02
From: Texas

Since last post: 1429 days
Last activity: 337 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.95

    Originally posted by drjayphd

      Originally posted by asteroidboy
      I'd say it's a tossup. In Hollywood, you've got good old-fashioned vanity, but with journalists, you'll never meet a more insecure, self-absorbed, conceited bunch of people.

      Add ugly if they work in newspapers. Stupid if it's TV. :)



    Except that in many cases, TV journalists are probably more likely to be bitter, jaded drunks than your description. They're just more visible.



As an ugly newspaper reporter, I'll wager I can drink any TV personality under the table. Well, except for Connie Chung.



-- Asteroid Boy


Wiener of the day: 23.7.02

"My brother saw the Undertaker walking through an airport."
"Was he no-selling?"
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 22.4.02
From: Long Island

Since last post: 32 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on

    Originally posted by asteroidboy

      Originally posted by drjayphd

        Originally posted by asteroidboy
        I'd say it's a tossup. In Hollywood, you've got good old-fashioned vanity, but with journalists, you'll never meet a more insecure, self-absorbed, conceited bunch of people.

        Add ugly if they work in newspapers. Stupid if it's TV. :)



      Except that in many cases, TV journalists are probably more likely to be bitter, jaded drunks than your description. They're just more visible.



    As an ugly newspaper reporter, I'll wager I can drink any TV personality under the table. Well, except for Connie Chung.



Mmm... I'll have to agree, considering some of the newspaper people I know. Was probably thinking of TV producers and such.



Today's Out-Of-Context Quote, Courtesy of Bullitt:

"NOTHING'S funnier than midget porn."
SchippeWreck
Banger








Since: 26.3.03
From: Glendale, CA

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 46 min.
#6 Posted on
    Originally posted by redsoxnation
    Yes, its finally been confirmed. The networks at heart don't really care about Republicans or Democrats. They just truly love themselves. MSNBC has just proven that once again. After correspondent David Bloom died of an embollism in Iraq (non-conflict death), MSNBC decides that is the perfect reason to halt war coverage for a 1 hour 'David Bloom Retrospective.' Now, if it was Brokaw or Russert who died; or even Rather confirming he was a senile fool, I could understand devoting an hour of time to their lives. But David Bloom? That is really stretching it during news cycle downtimes, let alone when the network has decided to go Wall-to-Wall War for 3 weeks. The only question now is, which group loves themselves more: The Media or Hollywood?

    (edited by redsoxnation on 6.4.03 2143)


Wait, so it's WRONG to interrupt what many have labeled "excessive" war coverage to publicly mourn someone that they considered a friend and colleague? I've avoided sounding off about anything that has gone on in the last few weeks because I'm still deeply conflicted about the whole thing, but I don't see this move as vain AT ALL.

(edited by SchippeWreck on 7.4.03 0838)

EDIT: Preview stupid, preview!

(edited by SchippeWreck on 7.4.03 0839)

Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1269 days
Last activity: 1066 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
I'm not gonna give NBC grief for this. They were basically broadcasting live as it happened so I'd bet there were not prepared to deal with the shock of this, especially on air. It's a shame too becaause he was one of the few embedded reporters that did not annoy me. The freak nature of his death(basically the blood cot from sitting to long like people had problems with planes a while back) doesn't make it any better for the NBC folks who lost a colleague and a friend.



redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 479 days
Last activity: 479 days
#8 Posted on

    Originally posted by Grimis
    I'm not gonna give NBC grief for this. They were basically broadcasting live as it happened so I'd bet there were not prepared to deal with the shock of this, especially on air. It's a shame too becaause he was one of the few embedded reporters that did not annoy me. The freak nature of his death(basically the blood cot from sitting to long like people had problems with planes a while back) doesn't make it any better for the NBC folks who lost a colleague and a friend.





I wasn't talking about when it happened. They decided to air an hour special later in the evening detailing his life. Now, I have no problem with them doing retrospective pieces. However, now that they have done an hour retrospective on David Bloom, it means precedent is set that when a network TV reporter dies in the future they will have to do this as well.



There is only one man left to save Vince McMahon and the WWF/E. Where have you gone Greg Gagne, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
The Thrill
Banger








Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 189 days
Last activity: 36 days
#9 Posted on

"America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team...then you should get the hell out of the stadium. Go America." --Stan Marsh, South Park

I'm all for commemorating the death of my media colleagues in the medium they worked with. However, if Bloom was alive and worth his salt, he'd probably say that a one-hour special was somewhat over the top, and takes away from the bigger story: y'know, the war and stuff.

Problem is, in this biz, if you ain't on air, you ain't gettin' sh*t for recognition, commemoration, or anything. And yes, I've fought this battle before for dead pals who I still miss.



Star wipe, and...we're out.
Thrillin' ain't easy.

.
.
THE THRILL
All-Star Championship Wrestling Home Video Technical Director...& A2NWO 4 Life!

All-Star Championship Wrestling!

Pages: 1Thread ahead: Michael Moore's next film
Next thread: One of the First Things That Needs To Be Done After the War
Previous thread: Is this the Smoking Gun?
(2147 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Unlike the rest of theism, this just doesn't make any sense!
- TheBucsFan, Hey! Jesus is back! (2007)
The W - Current Events & Politics - Self Love 101Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.131 seconds.