The W
Views: 100956204
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
28.11.14 1708
The W - Movies & TV - Scrubs
This thread has 2 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.79
Pages: 1
(4362 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (17 total)
Wpob
Lap cheong








Since: 21.11.02
From: Williston Park, NY

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.57
What a great show! Well worht the wait. It is just a crime that NBC has screwed with this show because if they EVER got any scheduling sense in their brains, their Thursday line up would be:

8:00 - My Name is Earl
8:30 - The Office
9:00 - Scrubs
9:30 - Arrested Development **

** After they pick this up when FOX drops them

That would be enouhg of a killer lineup to get solid ratings for all four shows and a strong lead in for ER.

Again, great episodes by Scrubs last night proving its worht of staying in my top three non-reality shows on TV.



Well, that's just drunk talk! Sweet, beautiful drunk talk....
Promote this thread!
The Big Kat
Kishke








Since: 11.1.02
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 497 days
Last activity: 7 days
#2 Posted on
    Originally posted by Wpob
    their Thursday line up would be:

    8:00 - My Name is Earl
    8:30 - The Office
    9:00 - Scrubs
    9:30 - Arrested Development **

    **


Now that is Must-See TV. I loved both episodes, although they sort of pulled the plug on Elliott at the other hospital pretty fast. This show and AD are my favorite comedies on TV right now, and here's hoping we get a few more seasons out of both, whatever channel they are on. It scares me a little with the "two new episodes every week" schedule, but maybe it's because of the Olympics? Well, welcome back, Scrubs. Even a Turkelton reference last night!



-The Big Kat
When you're tired of wishing on a falling star, you gotta put your faith in a loud guitar. -KISS
wannaberockstar
Morcilla








Since: 7.3.02
From: MA

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
ICQ:  
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.00
Was anyone else as confused as I was when they ran a promote for the new Thursday night line-up touting "two great original comedies" referring to the Office and My Name is Earl?

Since when did NBC come up with the idea for the Office?

Back on topic, I didn't realize how much I missed Scrubs until I saw it last night - another great episode. I've been saying that a lineup like that would rock forever!

"Whats it going to be like having a baby?"
"Dr. Cox says it's like having a dog that slowly learns to talk"
"Awesome"
Freeway
Scrapple








Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 341 days
Last activity: 29 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.02
    Originally posted by wannaberockstar
    Was anyone else as confused as I was when they ran a promote for the new Thursday night line-up touting "two great original comedies" referring to the Office and My Name is Earl?

    Since when did NBC come up with the idea for the Office?


Are you contesting that the shows are not original in content or presentation? They're GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATED, punk. :)



DVDs; Blog
Calgary Flames: 19-11-4
Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights: 13-13-0-6
Battlezone
Potato korv








Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2181 days
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.47
    Originally posted by Wpob
    What a great show! Well worht the wait. It is just a crime that NBC has screwed with this show because if they EVER got any scheduling sense in their brains, their Thursday line up would be:

    8:00 - My Name is Earl
    8:30 - The Office
    9:00 - Scrubs
    9:30 - Arrested Development **

    ** After they pick this up when FOX drops them

    That would be enouhg of a killer lineup to get solid ratings for all four shows and a strong lead in for ER.

    Again, great episodes by Scrubs last night proving its worht of staying in my top three non-reality shows on TV.


No. Just no. I keep hearing this, and while it's a geek's wet dream come true, it'd likely be a ratings disaster for NBC. Earl, Office and Scrubs perform decently in the ratings I believe, but they're nowhere near the Cosby/Cheers/Friends level that NBC likes to carry the night. Plus, they have a set schedule for Thursdays that they've used forever:

8:00 - Popular, established sitcom
8:30 - Freshman sitcom/sitcom in need of ratings help
9:00 - Established sitcom
9:30 - Lead in to "ER"

And that's it. Plus, even if all of those shows were ratings blockbusters, it'd be stupid to have all of your eggs in one basket on one night. Splitting the four shows across two nights (Scrubs/AD on Tuesdays; Office/Earl on Thursdays) gives them the best opportunity for both winning the nights, and developing new shows.

Back on topic, I was so busy watching Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden stay up past their bedtimes that I completely forgot about the season premiere. I'll have to watch them when I get home tonight.



"It's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond because that is what being a [man] is." -Jack Davenport, Coupling
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 19 hours
Last activity: 4 min.
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.46
    Originally posted by Freeway420
      Originally posted by wannaberockstar
      Was anyone else as confused as I was when they ran a promote for the new Thursday night line-up touting "two great original comedies" referring to the Office and My Name is Earl?

      Since when did NBC come up with the idea for the Office?


    Are you contesting that the shows are not original in content or presentation?


It is pretty weird to use the word 'original' to describe a remake. "King Kong was one of the most original movies of 2005."
Tribal Prophet
Andouille








Since: 9.1.02
From: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 18 hours
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.47
    Originally posted by Battlezone
    No. Just no. I keep hearing this, and while it's a geek's wet dream come true, it'd likely be a ratings disaster for NBC. Earl, Office and Scrubs perform decently in the ratings I believe, but they're nowhere near the Cosby/Cheers/Friends level that NBC likes to carry the night. Plus, they have a set schedule for Thursdays that they've used forever:

    8:00 - Popular, established sitcom
    8:30 - Freshman sitcom/sitcom in need of ratings help
    9:00 - Established sitcom
    9:30 - Lead in to "ER"

    And that's it. Plus, even if all of those shows were ratings blockbusters, it'd be stupid to have all of your eggs in one basket on one night. Splitting the four shows across two nights (Scrubs/AD on Tuesdays; Office/Earl on Thursdays) gives them the best opportunity for both winning the nights, and developing new shows.


NBC hasn't used that formula for the last few years. The Apprentice has been sinking slowly each year, so they're prepared to take some chances.

I think instead of "Freshmen sitcom/one that needs help" you mean "shitty show no one would watch unless you put it between two good ones and hope they're too lazy to change the channel". Repeat formula for the ER lead-in.

Four Kings looks like the most retarded show I've seen come down the pike in quite some time. I could be wrong (I've only seen one ad for it, but Goddamn did it ever leave an impression), but it probably won't be around for too long (or it'll be around for WAY too long like Joey) and Will and Grace are on their way out anyways, so you can't count on them as any kind of an anchor for a new promotion. Loading it up with four "young" shows and promoting it as fast, funny shows for two solid hours gets people to watch the entire block rather than switch around for something better than the two 'filler shit hole' shows, which means that you win the night.

Nothing wrong with putting all your comedy eggs in one basket if you're NBC and have decided that every other night will be Law and Order night. FOX has it's 'Best Drama Tuesdays' (soon Mondays) so why not do the same with comedies? Having four great comedies in a row lets them promote it as the "Night of a Thousand Laughs" again and actually mean it. The fact that all four shows attract the same type of fan and have the same theme of humor is an *incredible* bonus that's almost criminal to ignore.


Tribal Prophet
Battlezone
Potato korv








Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2181 days
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.47
    Originally posted by Tribal Prophet
    I think instead of "Freshmen sitcom/one that needs help" you mean "shitty show no one would watch unless you put it between two good ones and hope they're too lazy to change the channel". Repeat formula for the ER lead-in.


Well, yeah. I was just trying to think of a nicer way to say it.





"It's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond because that is what being a [man] is." -Jack Davenport, Coupling
Tribal Prophet
Andouille








Since: 9.1.02
From: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 18 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.47
I know, but with the crap they've tried to air in those spots in the past, it deserves to be called what it is.


Tribal Prophet
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 22 hours
Last activity: 34 min.
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.26
Just curious: How come everyone's in such a rush to slot great shows in the "sacrificial lamb" spot of competition with the Survivor/CSI/Without a Trace juggernaut? Or perhaps you prefer they all get unnecessarily cancelled too early?

(edited by CRZ on 5.1.06 0639)


CRZ
Wpob
Lap cheong








Since: 21.11.02
From: Williston Park, NY

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.57
Well, if I may, NBC has pretty much decided that Thursday is going to be their comedy block. And, IMO, if they are going to go up against the best on the other channels, they better bring THEIR best to the table or risk being squashed. Earl and Office are great shows, but with lame Will&Grace and Four Kings as lead ins, that is not going to help them at all.

Having four great comedies gives people a reason to watch who don't like reality shows and who want to laugh. It also protects each of the shows from losing viewers to other channels. CSI and Survivior are great shows, and I love both of them. But if I had to choose between Survivor/CSI and Earl/Office/Scrubs/AD, I would choose the later. That's just me, but I am sure there are plenty of other people out there who would do the same. Survivor and CSI have been around for years and the formula for both shows has pretty much remained the same. Lather, rinse repeat, with a few twists. My feeling is they are not going to get MORE viewers than they have had so there is a chance to STEAL viewers from them who are getting a litle tired of these shows.

I am more from the world of don't run from a fight but run TO the fight. Their are viewers to be had and with so little good comedies on TV, when a block of four great shows is sitting there for the taking, I for one would be watching.



Well, that's just drunk talk! Sweet, beautiful drunk talk....
Tenken347
Boudin blanc








Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 5 hours
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.46
I'm no fan of Will and Grace, but don't kid yourself. It's a solid ratings winner for NBC. It's about as solid a lead-in as they can offer.
Wpob
Lap cheong








Since: 21.11.02
From: Williston Park, NY

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.57
Now it is because they have no other viable comedies and the Peacock does not want the lose the creators for future projects. That is why Four Kings is on the air (same creators). But, it is still a show in RAPID decline that needs to be put out to pasture.



Well, that's just drunk talk! Sweet, beautiful drunk talk....
pieman
As young as
he feels








Since: 11.12.01
From: China, Maine

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 4 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.73

    Originally posted by Wpob
    CSI and Survivior are great shows, and I love both of them. But if I had to choose between Survivor/CSI and Earl/Office/Scrubs/AD, I would choose the later.


Or you could do like we do and watch Survivor/CSI when it airs and then watch the tape of the Thursday shows on Friday when there's nothing but Ghost Whisperer on until Numbers comes on at 10. Best of both worlds. Watch all the good stuff.





Gabba gabba hey!
Cerebus
Scrapple








Since: 17.11.02

Since last post: 3 hours
Last activity: 18 min.
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.38
    Originally posted by pieman
    Or you could do like we do and watch Survivor/CSI when it airs and then watch the tape of the Thursday shows on Friday when there's nothing but Ghost Whisperer on until Numbers comes on at 10. Best of both worlds. Watch all the good stuff.


...and that is exactly why good shows get cancelled. People watch one thing and record another to watch later. Ratings people don't care about the shows you watch later, they care about what you watch first run with the commercials.

Do a search for shows that are watched first run and show that are recorded and watched later, it's disheartening. Last season, Arrested Development was one of the most 'recorded/DVR'd shows of the season, but look at how low the ratings are.

This year, however, they've started doing ratings on shows that are DVR'd so maybe we can see some changes in how fast shows get can'd.
Battlezone
Potato korv








Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2181 days
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.47
Yes, but there are only 60 DVR homes in the 9,000+ home sampling (although they intend to add more later), and it's only same-day DVR watching that they monitor, so I don't know how accurate those ratings numbers are going to be, for now.



"It's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond because that is what being a [man] is." -Jack Davenport, Coupling
Wpob
Lap cheong








Since: 21.11.02
From: Williston Park, NY

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.65
    Originally posted by pieman
      Originally posted by Wpob
      CSI and Survivior are great shows, and I love both of them. But if I had to choose between Survivor/CSI and Earl/Office/Scrubs/AD, I would choose the later.


    Or you could do like we do and watch Survivor/CSI when it airs and then watch the tape of the Thursday shows on Friday when there's nothing but Ghost Whisperer on until Numbers comes on at 10. Best of both worlds. Watch all the good stuff.


Nope. I was a MAJOR couch potato a few years back and promised to watch my core shows and that was it. I do not tape or DVR any show. I know this is silly, but it is my way of keeping the TV off when therer is nothing I like on and spending some quality conversation time with my wife after the 4 kids go to bed.



Well, that's just drunk talk! Sweet, beautiful drunk talk....
Thread rated: 5.79
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: CSI makes me howl at the moon
Next thread: Futurama to resturn!?!?
Previous thread: Season 5
(4362 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I watch it too, but with this new DirecTV deal, I dunno how I feel about waiting until spring to get my new episodes. Harrumph. - StingArmy
Related threads: Revised NBC Sked: Scrubs returns; Office & Earl to Thursdays - The Finale of Scrubs - Scrubs - Is it iver? - More...
The W - Movies & TV - ScrubsRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.209 seconds.