The W
Views: 100035083
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
25.10.14 0842
The W - Pro Wrestling - RVD to Re-Sign
This thread has 10 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.08
Pages: 1
(7614 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (17 total)
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52

    Problems seem to be ironed out...

    Rob Van Dam has started talks with Jim Ross about a new contract. His current deal ends this summer. At this point, talks are going very smoothly and RVD is expected to sign on for a few more years.

    Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter


I'm actually quite surprised to hear this. I guess he decided that he might as well take the *easy* money instead of putting his working boots back on for Japan, ROH and NWA. I can't say that I blame him, I'd take a sure check to do less at my job.



Promote this thread!
reddragon
Polska kielbasa








Since: 23.8.03
From: Scotland

Since last post: 3783 days
Last activity: 3696 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.49
This does surprise me he's done nothing but complain about the writing staff in the last few months so we will have to see what happens



For every dream there is a nightmare
madiq
Boerewors








Since: 27.7.03
From: Brooklyn, NY

Since last post: 2298 days
Last activity: 2290 days
AIM:  
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.25
Maybe they promised him a push...

Do you think he'll actually get to wrestle at this year's Wrestlemania?
Tenken347
Boudin blanc








Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 10 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.41
Hey, no shocker here. Everybody likes money, and no matter how much RVD bitches about the WWE, nobody's going to pay him what he's making there.
Mayhem
Scrapple








Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 1 day
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.79

I don't blame him ... he's probably got a few more good years left in him and a sure check affords him the luxury of things like his comic book store.

It's all about the bling bling.



"Yeah cake rocks the body that rocks the party." - Christian
Mike Sweetser
Boerewors








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 3086 days
Last activity: 2977 days
AIM:  
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.18
    Originally posted by madiq
    Maybe they promised him a push...

    Do you think he'll actually get to wrestle at this year's Wrestlemania?


He did wrestle at WrestleMania this year - just not on the PPV. He teamed with Kane on Heat to face Morely and Storm.

Mike, who was there



This Is Just Wrong
Linguica








Since: 17.12.03
From: Toronto

Since last post: 3884 days
Last activity: 3829 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.21
I hope he does re-sign. People can argue about his lack of skills or whatever, but the fact remains, he's an entertaining athlete. He's not Bret Hart in technical ability but he knows what he's good at and that's his pseudo martial arts/high flying spot hybrid of a style.

Geez, i'd want him to be re-signed simply because he doesnt really conform to the WWE Main Event Style. No spinebusters, chokeslams or sit down powerbombs for RVD!
OMEGA
Lap cheong








Since: 18.6.02
From: North Cacalacky

Since last post: 1943 days
Last activity: 1911 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.09
Damn. I always knew in my heart that he would re-sign. However, I must admit, I was still a little excited about the prospect of him becoming the #1 guy in TNA.

If I were RVD, I wouldn't sign anything until they booked me in a match for WrestleMania XX. That's just me, though.



The answer to WWE's financial problems...
DJ FrostyFreeze
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Hawthorne, CA

Since last post: 10 hours
Last activity: 9 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.95

    Originally posted by OMEGA
    If I were RVD, I wouldn't sign anything until they booked me in a match for WrestleMania XX. That's just me, though.
If anything, I would assume that those things usually work the other way around. But I see where you're coming from.



OH SNAP

Net Hack Slasher
Banger








Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3591 days
Last activity: 2011 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.61
I respect and understand his decision to stay and get the guaranteed money. But man would have been great if he gave the big F-U to McMahon for totally undermining these years and say take your money and shove it I don't want to work for this company. Like when Jericho turned down a more guaranteed cash from WCW to head of to WWE. If RVD did the same what a bucket of cold water in the face of McMahon... He's one of those guys that can go into another company totally cold and be totally over. I also think RVD is one of those "few" guys that his hardcore fan base would follow him to another company.

I'm still an RVD fan but the last half year he hasn't really been himself. Don't know if he's injured, I'm guessing more apathy then anything. He doesn't have that spark he always had... I think if a company lets him loose and he can have fun again, there's few more fun to watch then, R-V-D.



Christmas is the one time of year when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ. - Bart Simpson
Tribal Prophet
Andouille








Since: 9.1.02
From: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Since last post: 68 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.23
    Originally posted by Net Hack Slasher
    I respect and understand his decision to stay and get the guaranteed money. But man would have been great if he gave the big F-U to McMahon for totally undermining these years and say take your money and shove it I don't want to work for this company. Like when Jericho turned down a more guaranteed cash from WCW to head of to WWE. If RVD did the same what a bucket of cold water in the face of McMahon.


But then the result is either McMahon doesn't care, or else he puts out word that he'll bury any promotion that hires him, like he did when Lawler walked out.

We'll all agree that a wrestler telling off McMahon is a nice dream to have, but it's definately not in his best interest to sacrifice his career to make a point that only 12 people on this board would know about.

Also, Jericho signed with the WWE based on his treatment (being kept off TV to make sure he didn't stay over). If he had stayed with WCW he would have made more money, but nobody would have seen him on TV for months on end. Then that contract ends in a couple years, and his stock is at zero when he calls up Titan and asks if they're still interested.


Tribal Prophet



Wrestling exists in the eternal present. What is, has always been, and when it no longer is, it never was. It has no past and no future, and sometimes even today is in question. - Madame Manga
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.99
"I guess he decided that he might as well take the *easy* money instead of putting his working boots back on for Japan, ROH and NWA."

WWE's schedule is waaaaaaaaaaay harder than TNA or ROH's, and in Japan he wouldn't be doing a full-time schedule either.

"I'd take a sure check to do less at my job."

Read: "I'd criticize someone for not working for free out of some misplaced romanticized notions about 'working boots.'"
Hogan's My Dad
Andouille








Since: 8.6.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 18 hours
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.59
I can't believe anyone could even have entertained the notion for a millisecond that he wouldn't re-sign. Let's get real here. This isn't the "easy money" it's the only money. Why would he go off to TNA, which is less likely to exist next year than NBC Friday's "Miss Match", just to be the king of nowheresville? The guy's a human being, and he's not in this surreal Austin/Hogan/Rock cateogory of people that A- don't need the money, or B- could immediately make a distant competitor seem less bush league by simply making an appearance. I'll take it he's been making wise investments if he had the collateral enough to start his comic store, but I highly doubt he is so blessed that he'll turn down a consistent paycheck. Job security is important.

This situation is not even vaguely analogous to Jericho leaving WCW for the WWF. By the time Jericho left Turner, Vince had already pulled out ahead in the ratings war and the writing was on the wall. There's a difference between leaving a quickly sinking ship for a healthy ship, and leaving a damaged-but-salvageable ship because you think
you can doggie-paddle to shore. Even if WWE does go out of business, they've saddlebagged their structure so well that it'll take years for that drop-off to completely finish.

If RVD is so disgruntled what he needs to do is consider the possibility that he's not perfect. There's room for improvement, a ton of it. Learning how to sell would be a start. Cutting a decent promo would also bode well for him, and would give the office a reason to invest. I've seen RVD most regularly since he came to WWE, and one thing I've noticed is that he has not improved in any way in the last two and some odd years. Not everything is Vince McMahon's fault.





What do you call Albert Einstein beatin' off?
Give up?
A stroke of genius!
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
    Originally posted by JMShapiro
    "I guess he decided that he might as well take the *easy* money instead of putting his working boots back on for Japan, ROH and NWA."

    WWE's schedule is waaaaaaaaaaay harder than TNA or ROH's, and in Japan he wouldn't be doing a full-time schedule either.

    "I'd take a sure check to do less at my job."

    Read: "I'd criticize someone for not working for free out of some misplaced romanticized notions about 'working boots.'"


The money is a lot easier if you consider the fact that he doesn't have to work for multiple companies and MAKE a full time scedule to earn anywhere near WWE type money. Plus he doesn't have to worry about getting booking appointments, travel arrangements, and room and board. He more or less just has to show up and wrestler whatever spot the WWE tells him to.

As far romanticized notions about 'working boots', I would love to see RVD go back to the RVD free style I knew and loved istead of the watered down WWE RVD style I've been getting. Maybe I was hoping for the 'Raven Affect'. So yeah, maybe deep down inside I am a sappy romantic.



(edited by BigDaddyLoco on 24.12.03 0611)
Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.54

    If RVD is so disgruntled what he needs to do is consider the possibility that he's not perfect. There's room for improvement, a ton of it. Learning how to sell would be a start. Cutting a decent promo would also bode well for him, and would give the office a reason to invest. I've seen RVD most regularly since he came to WWE, and one thing I've noticed is that he has not improved in any way in the last two and some odd years. Not everything is Vince McMahon's fault.


All these are valid reasons for not pushing RVD to a main event slot, but what IS Vince's fault is how he then turns around and pushes guys with these same flaws and more to the main event.




Rob asks Dave and Ric if they want to go backstage to play Hungry Hungry Hippos and Flair and Batista immediately bail. Flair wants to be Green. Man, EVERYBODY wants to be green. Except the girl in the commercials. She wanted to be pink. That either means that the ad agency was sexist or that she was communist. Of course Hungry Hungry Hippos is a rather capitalist game isnít it? No self respecting communist would play Hungry Hungry Hippos. Except Stalin. He LOVED Hungry Hungry Hippos. God, Iíve got no clue what the hell Iím rambling about anymore.-- Matt "Excalibur05" Hocking, Raw Satire writer extraordinaire

You know, I just can't call it the "WWE." I just can't. My body's rejecting it like a bad liver transplant.-- Bill Simmons, espn.com/page2
LionJeetSingh
Chourico








Since: 3.3.03

Since last post: 3307 days
Last activity: 3134 days
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.77
    Originally posted by Hogan's My Dad
    I can't believe anyone could even have entertained the notion for a millisecond that he wouldn't re-sign. Let's get real here. This isn't the "easy money" it's the only money. Why would he go off to TNA, which is less likely to exist next year than NBC Friday's "Miss Match", just to be the king of nowheresville? The guy's a human being, and he's not in this surreal Austin/Hogan/Rock cateogory of people that A- don't need the money, or B- could immediately make a distant competitor seem less bush league by simply making an appearance. I'll take it he's been making wise investments if he had the collateral enough to start his comic store, but I highly doubt he is so blessed that he'll turn down a consistent paycheck. Job security is important.

    This situation is not even vaguely analogous to Jericho leaving WCW for the WWF. By the time Jericho left Turner, Vince had already pulled out ahead in the ratings war and the writing was on the wall. There's a difference between leaving a quickly sinking ship for a healthy ship, and leaving a damaged-but-salvageable ship because you think
    you can doggie-paddle to shore. Even if WWE does go out of business, they've saddlebagged their structure so well that it'll take years for that drop-off to completely finish.

    If RVD is so disgruntled what he needs to do is consider the possibility that he's not perfect. There's room for improvement, a ton of it. Learning how to sell would be a start. Cutting a decent promo would also bode well for him, and would give the office a reason to invest. I've seen RVD most regularly since he came to WWE, and one thing I've noticed is that he has not improved in any way in the last two and some odd years. Not everything is Vince McMahon's fault.





His workrate nor his interview skills are relevent. The fact is that he is one of the most over faces in the entire company. His merchendise sells very well and its very possible to build the company around him. You have to admit that RVD has a huge cult following and is definitely capable of putting asses in seats.



Vut Joo Talkin?
Tribal Prophet
Andouille








Since: 9.1.02
From: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Since last post: 68 days
Last activity: 5 hours
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.23
    Originally posted by LionJeetSingh
    His workrate nor his interview skills are relevent. The fact is that he is one of the most over faces in the entire company. His merchendise sells very well and its very possible to build the company around him. You have to admit that RVD has a huge cult following and is definitely capable of putting asses in seats.


The point is that although RVD could put asses in seats, he'll be doing it for a company (whichever one) that only has at best 1/100th the seats the WWE has, and who knows how often he'll even work.

Yeah you can build a company around him, but that company might only take in $10,000 a year profit, or even worse, so how much money do you think he'll see? Besides, this is a guy who already had a company built around him a few years ago, and they ended up going under thanks to a TV deal that sounds a whole hell of a lot like the one TNA is so happy about.


Tribal Prophet



Wrestling exists in the eternal present. What is, has always been, and when it no longer is, it never was. It has no past and no future, and sometimes even today is in question. - Madame Manga
Thread rated: 5.08
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: your WWE WORKRATE REPORT- 12/18/2003!
Next thread: Smackdown 12.25.03 from baghdad - SPOILER!!!
Previous thread: Im very confused about the future of RAW (Foley, Austin) How would you clear things up?
(7614 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I'm a big fan of the No Way Out Eddie G "WANTED" poster my own self.
Related threads: Goldust a free agent in 2004? - Recent WWE Buyrates (HA!) - 2003 Statistics Through October - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - RVD to Re-SignRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.4 seconds.