The W
Views: 99904748
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
21.10.14 2357
The W - Pro Wrestling - RIP Sensational Sherri
This thread has 213 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.63
Pages: 1
(3722 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (17 total)
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 1 day
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.47
Via Meltzer

Sensational Sherri passes away

Sherri Russell aka Sensational Sherri Martel passed away, this morning, at home. She was 49.

No other details are available at the moment. Police are currently as her residence with her husband.

In 1991, while managing Randy Savage, Sherri was the only woman ever to win the Manager of the Year award.
Promote this thread!
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 115 days
Last activity: 115 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.76
That sucks. Sherri was one of the best female heels ever in wrestling. And with the dead Vince angle, this couldn't be more inconvenient for WWE.

Geez, could you have at least gone to the trouble of spelling "Sherri" correctly in the subject heading?



Back of the Head: www.backofthehead.com
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 1 day
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.47
Yikes, my bad.
kentish
Andouille








Since: 19.8.05
From: My Old Kentucky Home

Since last post: 35 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.50
She was quite an under appreciated manager from the 80s and 90s. I mean, how many people can say they managed HBK, Savage, Dibiase, AND Flair? Quite the resume.

I am glad to see her get in the Hall of Fame before she
died (what a speech that was!).

R.I.P.




Dean! Have you been shooting dope into your scrotum? You can tell me! I'm hip!
Ne Luumaet
Pinkelwurst








Since: 25.3.06

Since last post: 2485 days
Last activity: 2437 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.43
I was just wondering if anyone would die anytime soon with the Vince angle going on, and sure enough someone did. I just hope they at least give her that little still photo clip at the beginning of RAW 1959-2007. But with the Vince is Dead angle, they probably won't awknowledge it as to not steal the thunder away from Vince's fake death.
darkmatcher
Bockwurst








Since: 12.2.03
From: New York, USA

Since last post: 2674 days
Last activity: 1750 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.54
Incredibly unfortunate. I don't really know what to say, except that she was one of the few American female talents I ever marked for in any respect. She was superb in all her roles and managed to add great dimension to wrestlers many of whom were already so great that they didn't even need the help. There hasn't been such a fantastically well-rounded female talent since and quite possibly never will be.

(edited by darkmatcher on 15.6.07 1808)
CajunMan
Boudin blanc
No longer registered








Since: 2.1.02
From: Give me a Title shot!

Since last post: 1098 days
Last activity: 235 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.04
    Originally posted by Ne Luumaet
    I was just wondering if anyone would die anytime soon with the Vince angle going on, and sure enough someone did. I just hope they at least give her that little still photo clip at the beginning of RAW 1959-2007. But with the Vince is Dead angle, they probably won't awknowledge it as to not steal the thunder away from Vince's fake death.


http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/sherripasses

I'm sure Ross will mention it monday as well.



I'm CajunMan and I approve this message.
Kei Posiskunk
Kolbasz








Since: 7.1.02
From: Central PA, USA

Since last post: 141 days
Last activity: 91 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
    Originally posted by kentish
    She was quite an under appreciated manager from the 80s and 90s. I mean, how many people can say they managed HBK, Savage, Dibiase, AND Flair? Quite the resume.

    I am glad to see her get in the Hall of Fame before she
    died (what a speech that was!).

    R.I.P.


And if you want to add ANOTHER World Champion to that list, don't forget Booker T (when he was part of Harlem Heat).

She really did get to manage almost ALL the greats.

RIP.






3rd one coming in June 2007
TheOldMan
Landjager








Since: 13.2.03
From: Chicago

Since last post: 113 days
Last activity: 6 days
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.94
And don't forget that Sherri was as good a worker as any American woman of her era. And to second kentish, her HoF speech stole the show that night, hopefully WWE can put the full version of her speech up.

(while it lasts) Sherri and Kurt Angle hilarity (youtube.com)

Thanks for the memories, Sherri

(edit: there's a 2 minute taste of the speech up on WWE.com, but it really doesn't do her awesomeness from that night justice)

(edited by TheOldMan on 16.6.07 0201)




It's the Big "W", I tell ya! The Big "W"!
griff
Head cheese








Since: 26.2.04
From: Manchester, England

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 10 hours
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.11
RIP Sherri
djp
Morcilla








Since: 16.2.07
From: 3rd Floor, NW window

Since last post: 128 days
Last activity: 15 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.72
*FAVORITE SHERRI MOMENT*

Early 90s, I believe Sherri was managing Shawn Michaels, at a televised event such as SNME, Sherri passes Rick Martel along reside when the Model stops, lowers his glasses, and winks at SS. Then Sherri, at first taken aback, looks to see if anyone is watches, then returns the wink. Satisfied, the Model smugly nods and smiles and then returns to the back. So started an angle with the Model trying to 'steal' the Sensational One.
CEOIII
Boudin rouge








Since: 25.7.02
From: Franklin, PA

Since last post: 24 days
Last activity: 19 hours
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.63
    Originally posted by djpetti
    *FAVORITE SHERRI MOMENT*

    Early 90s, I believe Sherri was managing Shawn Michaels, at a televised event such as SNME, Sherri passes Rick Martel along reside when the Model stops, lowers his glasses, and winks at SS. Then Sherri, at first taken aback, looks to see if anyone is watches, then returns the wink. Satisfied, the Model smugly nods and smiles and then returns to the back. So started an angle with the Model trying to 'steal' the Sensational One.


I remember that. It eventually led to Michaels/Martel in a "no hitting in the face" match, a stip Sherri insisted on.

One of my fave Sherri moments is one in which she really didn't look that good: Just after Savage lost his "loser retires" match, she's reading him the riot act, kicking him while he's down, and Liz runs in from the crowd and tosses her out by the hair. One of the most touching moments in wrestling, and Sherri was in on it.

Hopefully she and Liz are sharing a drink and laughing about that as we speak. We will miss you, milady, and hopefully your death will put a halt to all this milking of Vince's "death".



I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 5 hours
Last activity: 3 hours
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.64
I'd say we should toast a group load to her, but I never really found her that hot even in my youth. She could kind of go in the ring, but I found her overrated for the most part.

She was around for what seemed like forever so that means something I guess. Maybe, I just never really got her.

I take it she died at home somehow and not something like an auto accident or something.
AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
Y!:
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.45
    Originally posted by BigDaddyLoco
    I take it she died at home somehow and not something like an auto accident or something.



Per the AP:
Sherri Russell, better known to a generation of pro wrestling fans as "Sensational Sherri" Martel, died Friday at the age of 49. She passed away at her mother's home in Birmingham, Ala.

No other details were available at press time.





http://myspace.com/awarulz
Signature
We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.
Mayhem
Scrapple








Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 39 days
Last activity: 1 day
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.27

Wow ... such a young age, too.

I've always thought that she was a big factor in contributing to Shawn Michaels. She really got him over as a heel during the early stages of his "Heartbreak Kid" persona.

May she RIP.
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.53
    Originally posted by BigDaddyLoco
    I'd say we should toast a group load to her, but I never really found her that hot even in my youth. She could kind of go in the ring, but I found her overrated for the most part. She was around for what seemed like forever so that means something I guess.


"I didn't think she was good but maybe we could jizz on her." I hope I get that kind of tribute when I die.
KJames199
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 10.12.01
From: #yqr

Since last post: 10 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.53
    Originally posted by JustinShapiro
    "I didn't think she was good but maybe we could jizz on her." I hope I get that kind of tribute when I die.
No no no. We're supposed to jizz FOR her. Jizzing ON her would just be weird and gross, dude.



JK
Thread rated: 4.63
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Supplemental Draft
Next thread: Shelton, Orlando and Chris (?)
Previous thread: Predict Slammiversary!
(3722 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Like several state in the site bashing forum, never trust a story until WO comments on it.
Related threads: Mr. Wizard - dead at 89 - NASCAR Founding Son: Bill France Jr. 1933-2007 - Sandy Barr R.I.P. - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - RIP Sensational SherriRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.388 seconds.