TONIGHT: Mike Adamle, in a high-level meeting with Shane and Steph (who schedules a meeting at the same time as the ONLY hours the guy works?), will not be at Raw; instead, champion Chris Jericho is in charge. No Mercy fallout will also be featured, including a tag match: Rey Mysterio & Matt Hardy vs. Kane & Mark Henry. Plus, could JBL be up for revenge on Cryme Tyme and Batista have some words about being the new #1 contender? Letís find out!
-Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler opened the show from Seattle, Washington, with the camera panning the crowd. Fireworks went off and Chris Jericho came to the ring. His lip and upper jaw looked quite bruised but other than that, he looks good. Jericho talked about being in charge tonight, and running the show to the best of his abilities. He then moved into talking about his Ladder Match, and showed off his lost tooth. He said every time he sees it, itíll remind him of Shawn Michaels. Jericho said he was done with HBK now, and he made Shawn Michaels vs. Lance Cade in a no-DQ match tonight. Jericho said he has nothing left to prove against HBK and that he is the best, most dominant performer in the business today. That brought out Batista.
Batista congratulated Jericho, then asked him to pick the number. Jericho asked what number, and Batista told him to pick the number of days before they have their World Title match. Y2J told Batista to be careful what he wishes for, because heíd still find a way to beat him. Jericho told Batista that when itís over, his name will be synonymous with failure. Jericho then suggested Batista leave his ring. In response, Batista picked Jericho up and gave him a spinebuster. Good set-up for their title bout, though I wish theyíd mention how Jericho has come full-circle, as he was the one that started the Batista-HBK feud after WrestleMania, which morphed into HBK vs. Jericho.
-Still to come tonight, Kane & Mark Henry vs. Rey & Matt Hardy.
-They showed clips of what happened moments ago. Then they showed Jericho getting on the mic during the break. He said he canít strip Batista of the #1 contendership, but he can make him put it on the line again: Batista vs. JBL tonight, with the special guest referee....himself.
-At ringside were William Regal and Layla.
(1) Jamie Noble & Mickie James vs. Santino Marella & Beth Phoenix-Mixed Tag Match Marella got the mic and said he has been criticized lately for being too ethnic and not American enough. He said he wanted to become more American just for us people. Marella said he adopted a new favorite NBA team.....the Oklahoma City Thunder, of course, the former Seattle Supersonics. BIG boos for that. Marella turned his attention to Noble and said the Thunder of Glamarella would rain down on him.
Beth and Mickie started the match off. Thesz Press by Mickie and Santino tagged in, which meant Noble had to come in. Santino wanted to fight Mickie, but Noble took him on. Couple good elbows from Noble, then a suplex bridge into an arm-bar. Beth tried to break it up, but Mickie tossed her. Roll-up by Noble for two. Santino missed a charge, but Beth held onto Nobleís tights, causing a distraction and allowing Marella to roll up Noble for the win.
Winners: Santino and Beth, at 1:45.
Noble went after Marella, who left through the crowd. Regal tried to get involved and got dumped on his head. Noble and Regal fought on the mats at ringside, until Mickie could hold Noble back and referee John Cone held Regal down.
-Todd Grisham was backstage with Shawn Michaels. Grisham asked about his match tonight. Shawn said he wouldnít go beg Jericho for a reprieve and told Grisham to ask Jericho if heís going to defend the title tonight, as HBK doesnít think he will. HBK said Jericho wants Cade to do Jerichoís dirty work. Michaels said he was bordering on the brink of insanity and hopped up on adrenaline. He said heís got plenty of gas left in the tank.
(2) Kofi Kingston vs. Ted Dibiase Prior to the match, CM Punk came out to be on Kofiís side. Lots Ďo leapfrogs from Kofi, followed by a jumping back elbow. Double-stomp to Kingstonís chest off the top rope by Dibiase. Chops and dropkicks by Kingston. High cross-body by Kingston. Manu tried to interfere, but Dibiase couldnít take advantage. Rhodes got on the apron, and that did the job, even though he was taken out by Punk. Dibiase with the Million Dollar Dream-into a leg-sweep (coined the ďPrice DropĒ by my roommate) for the three.
Winner: Dibiase, at 2:43. High-energy match, as usual from Kingston.
-Still to come, JBL vs. Batista, with Batistaís number one contendership on the line. Oh, and Y2J is the guest ref.
-Jericho was talking to someone who was off camera about not liking each other. The camera panned to show Randy Orton and Orton asked what Jericho wanted. Jericho said Orton has been injured so long, all he talks about is how great he once was. He was going to put Orton to work tonight.
-Cole and Lawler were on camera, and threw it to a video package of John Cena (remember him?) and his match against Batista at SummerSlam. Interviews were conducted with Batista and the ref of the match Mike Chioda. They talked about the moment Cena suffered his herniated disk. They also showed the surgery process.
-Kane was backstage walking, as were Mark Henry and Tony Atlas, to the ring for the tag match next. Interrupting the chyron and Raw theme as they usually head into break was Dolph Ziggler, offering a hand to Henry & Kane. They both rebuffed him, as did Atlas.
(3) Rey Mysterio & Matt Hardy vs. Kane & Mark Henry Mysterio and Kane started things off, but Hardy quickly tagged in. Rey jumped off Hardyís back and onto Henry in the corner, but Henry caught him. Hardy took out his leg and Rey collapsed on the big man. Then, a double dropkick on Kane. Time for a break.
Henry and Hardy went at it, but Hardy was able to make a tag to Rey while Henry was down. Kane punched Rey in the back of the head to break his momentum, and Henry threw Rey out under the bottom rope, falling to the mat at ringside with a thud. Kane tagged in and was figuratively licking his lips, walking in on an injured Rey. Well, he tagged out soon after, so I guess he wasnít that hungry. Quick tags by the heels. Kane went to the top and missed his big clothesline. Tag to Hardy, who dove at Kane with a clothesline off the top. Hardy took out Henry at ringside, but that allowed Kane time to recover. 619 by Rey onto Kane, but Henry caught Rey on the outside of the ring and threw him onto the top rope, disrupting Hardy, who was already perched up there, and he fell into the arm of Kane, who chokeslammed Hardy for the win. The Aristocrats.
Winners: Kane and Henry, at 10:34. Just an OK match, really. Just a place-holder match that didnít really advance either feud, but let last nightís losers get some heat back.
-Shawn Michaels was on his way to the entrance for his match with Lance Cade, next.
-WWE 24/7 Classics on Demand: Kane Tombstoning Pete Rose.
(4) Shawn Michaels vs. Lance Cade- No-DQ Match Cade threw HBK to the outside of the ring and immediately went under the ring to grab a table. Cade picked HBK up and almost spinebustered him through the table. Cade then got a chair, but Michaels attacked before he could use it. HBK nailed Cade right over the head with it, then hit him time and time again in the arm, shoulder and chest area about 10 times. He then went for the pin and got it.
Winner: Michaels, at 2:54. Thatís gotta be one of the quickest no-DQ matches on record.
After the match, HBK got the chair after standing in the corner in a trance, and clobbered Cade again and again with it. Lawler surmised that HBK imagined Cade as Chris Jericho.
-Tonight, Jericho is guest ref of Batista vs. JBL.
-Cole plugged Smackdownís MyNetwork TV rating and reminded viewers when/where they could see Smackdown. He then plugged their main event this week of Big Show vs. Triple H.
-Jerry Lawler was in the ring. He noted that Santino Marella claimed to be the best I.C. Champion of all-time. Lawler said heíd get a chance to show it at Cyber Sunday when viewers choose which former IC Champ Marella will face. The first choice is Rowdy Roddy Piper. Sounds like you could only vote via text. The second choice is Goldust. The third choice Honky Tonk Man. Well clearly, WWE wants us to vote for HTM but I donít see him out-polling Piper, but I guess they may still do something with Santino and HTM even if he isnít voted in.
-Lillian Garcia was about to announce the next match, but Great Khali seemed to come out unexpectedly. Apparently, Khali stormed off the set of Johnny Knoxvilleís online show and heís going to address it tonight. Ranjin Singh showed highlights of jackassworld.com and Johnnyís show where Khali stormed off. Knoxville was questioning Khali as to whether the size of his junk matched the size of the rest of him. Knoxville said he didnít mean any disrespect after Singh said it was too personal. Khali almost pulled a Jim Everett and almost tipped the table over onto Knoxville.
Back in the ring, Singh translated Khali saying that he invites Knoxville to Raw next week to show him what pain is all about. And to show that Khali has a sense of humor, Khali hosted the Kiss Cam. This consisted of the regular kiss-cam, with Khali speaking his language as the people came on screen. They even showed Lillian, and Khali went to kiss her. He proceeded to lay a big one on her. Well, she was into Big Vis.
-Jillian Hall was in the ring, singing poorly, as usual. Morrison and Miz were on commentary. Kelly Kelly interrupted her and we have a match.
(5) Jillian Hall vs. Kelly Kelly Cryme Tyme came out before the match and they got headsets too. Lucky they had six headsets out there tonight. They argued like little kids. Kelly hit a hurricanrana and got a near-fall. The commentary was much more fun than the match. Jillian knocked Kelly out of the ring and pushed Kelly back-first into the apron. Most of the time, the four were talking over each other. Cole and Lawler tried to keep mentioning the match and one of Cryme Tyme kept saying that annoying ďOh snap!Ē after a verbal put-down. Back-breaker by Jillian. Jillian kept up the offensive onslaught on Kelly. This must be brutal for the live crowd, who were even chanting ďWe Want Puppies.Ē Jillian and Kelly mis-timed a back flip and Kelly rolled Jillian up for three.
Winner: Kelly, at 3:44.
-Batista was backstage, getting ready for his match with JBL, which is next.
-Another Cena video aired, with comments by other superstars.
-Guest referee Chris Jericho made his entrance. After JBL made his entrance, Jericho whispered something to Lillian, and she announced William Regal as special guest timekeeper. Before announcing Batista, Jericho whispered to her again, and she announced Randy Orton as special guest commentator. During his entrance, they went to break. Itíd be funny if upon return, 20 wrestlers were wandering around ringside, doing different jobs that Jericho assigned.
(6) JBL vs. Batista- #1 Contender Match Batista powered down and went for a cover, but Jericho was slow to get in position and only got a one-count. Batista took out JBLís knee several times. Batista applied the Figure-Four and JBL was just short of the ropes- he brushed them but couldnít grab them, but it was good enough for Jericho and he forced a break. JBL got a fast count in and Orton hasnít said a word three minutes into the match. JBL pounded on Batista in the corner. Big clothesline and a decent count by Jericho for two. Batista blocked a suplex and went for one of his own. Batista went for the pin and Jericho didnít even go down for a count. JBL sucker punched Batista when the Animal questioned Jericho. Jericho yelled at JBL to get Batista back in the ring, but that allowed Regal to attack Batista. A fast-count got two for JBL. Full-nelson from Bradshaw. Batista countered and both men were down as Jericho tried giving a pep talk to JBL. Batista went to splash JBL in the corner, but Jericho kicked his leg out from under him. Regal got involved again, but Batista took him out. Double-spear by Batista onto Jericho and JBL and Batista realized what happened. Mike Adamle suddenly appeared on the stage and called for another referee; Mike Chioda came out and counted a two-count. Spinebuster by Batista. Batista Bomb and thatís it.
Winner: Batista, at 7:30.
After the match, Adamle got the mic on the ramp. He said it was ironic that Jericho made himself special ref. Adamle said that was one of the things brought up in his meeting with Steph and Shane earlier. So in an effort to shake things up, he made Batista vs. Jericho at Cyber Sunday. He said the fans will decide the special referee. The choices: Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels or Stone Cold Steve Austin. Big pop for Austin, as expected, but I donít know that HBK is out of the running. Batista posed in the ring as Jericho looked on disappointedly.
It seems like Shawn should be the ref in the title match at the PPV, but I can't see the fans not voting for Austin either. It seems like maybe they could've come up with another way to use Austin. Or maybe they will rig this vote? Shocking, I know. I am sure Austin will find a way to stun someone.
Best Raw in weeks!
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Originally posted by JustinShapiroThe IC title hasn't meant anything since Randy Orton lost it. This is the most prominent the belt has been in four years. If Kofi was still holding it, there wouldn't even be any PPV title matches.
Well who did he lose it to, RVD? Edge? Thats the problem nowadays, all these title matches blend together.
Below average Raw, saw no new storylines (well one horrible one) or feuds develop after the PPV. The next PPV is only 3 weeks away. CM Punk is certainly back to mid-card status. How many times can JBL keep losing and still be considered a top level performer? ECW champ keeps having to job to Smackdown and Raw. The Miz/Morrison-Cryme Time segment was horrible, probably would have been funny if they wouldn't have kept talking over themselves, probably some good put downs if they had done it back and forth. And that f....n paint on Morrison's abs.... ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!
And what's with them wanting to bring back a jackass angle, when they killed the original one off last year? This kind of stuff makes the WWE look like minor league material (Didn't they learn from the cousin Sal angle???
Well, it's certainly good to see all that effort I put into last week's reply was totally ignored. It almost justifies the laziness Justin and 'lanche just showed because you'll never change, so why bother?
Still, that cousin Sal callback was certainly an impressive display of knowledge of ... the past four months. Well played.
I don't care what they're called as long as Edge joins the posse. Jericho,World Title/Storm,IC/Edge&Christian Tag Team/Test, jobber/ Trish, valet It'd be kinda like when the Harts had all the belts. Powerful groups with tons of gold rule.