Hmm... well, THAT was interesting. A few thoughts:
* So, how about the Austin/Flair Scott Keith Memorial main event? A fine match, but not as good as he'll say it was.
* So now the Hardys are Taker's new chew toys? Hey, if it'll lead to something good as far as that whole "extreme" announcement goes.
* On a related note, the Dreamer/Taker match had BETTER be more than a one-time thing. You're gonna bathe the man in "his own vomit", do something more with it than a squash.
* Can we officially consider that renaissance of women's wrestling done? Back to lingerie matches and Lawler spraying his shorts about puppies. At least we expected one of those things. (That, and that Terri is still NOT A MILF.)
* And if they insist on taking signs from fans, how about sticking to the stupid ones? Look, you found some cardboard with a hole in it and wrote "REGAL PUNCHED MY SIGN" on it... YOU'RE STILL NOT FUNNY. I mean, you had your pick of signs... brought enough of them.
* The Lesnar push is still going nice and slow, mercifully. This should deflate his head a little, while treating him right on-camera.
* Could X-Pac be any more painfully white than he was in that backstage vignette?
* Speaking of slipping back into old habits, I thought 15 minute opening promos were passe.
* And did they have leftovers from catering or something? Some sort of stew used as puke, then Austin squirts mustard all over Anderson... come on, piss isn't THAT yellow. Or opaque.
* And as for that guy coming back, great. I think this cements the notion they're tweeners. Now precisely 60% face, 40% heel. And half of the heel segment just sucks. But DAMN, that's a nice guy to bring back. Keep him out of the ring except for special occasions.
All in all, not really a great show, but let's hope it goes SOMEWHERE.
OK, I know a lot of people are going to be excited by what's-his-name is back, but let's really analyze this. He hasn't wrestled a WWF/E match in like 4 years, he has a bad back and the last time they tried to bring him back, he was "in no condition to perform". Sorry folks, when I heard the music, I started to groan. Vince is once again living in the past (Hogan) and hoping that he catches lightning in a bottle again. The funny thing is, they aren't even close to being in the top card. nWo, midcard for life!
Hey, Shawn was one of the best I've ever seen in the ring, and if miracles could happen and he can be even 80% of what he was, welcome back, but that's unlikely to happen and I can smell this failing. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan, but even I know that if he ever came back, he just wouldn't be good (too old, concussions).
By the way, Storm's gimmick includes 1.) telling the audience to shut up, and 2.) occasionally making everyone stand for the Canadian national anthem. You know they don't know what to do with a wrestler when he's making fans stand for a national anthem. It's like waving a white flag and saying, "This guy has no personality -- we give up."
Originally posted by drjayphdAnd did they have leftovers from catering or something? Some sort of stew used as puke, then Austin squirts mustard all over Anderson... come on, piss isn't THAT yellow. Or opaque.
Considering that the piss was GREEN the last time they tried it (Regal piddling on the Big Slow), yellow's at least a step in the right direction.
Well, maybe not the RIGHT direction...
"No society has managed to invest more time and energy in the perpetuation of the fiction that it is _moral, sane and wholesome_ than our current crop of _Modern Americans_." -- Frank Zappa
I was hoping that Nash was announcing Stan Hansen.
Damn, I was hoping that Molly would crash into the lingerie match with Victoria's real Secret: an infit that Queen Victoria might have actually worn. I mean, Steve regal is with her. The WWE is missing opportunities here.
Another missed opportunity: Goldust losing to X-pac, and thus his chance to join nWo.
Doesn't this Michaels thing sort of kill the credibility of WWE Confidential? Obviously everything that is produced by WWE is a work, and we should always remember that. But they had the guy on there two nights ago saying HBK was dead, and now he's back. It sort of wipes away that tiny shread of legitimacy that that show had.
You clearly didn't watch Confidential then Rex, if you took the comments to mean Michaels was never coming back.
I got the vibe from the second they started the Michaels promos that he was coming back. And this Saturday when he said the Heartbreak Kid is dead - he meant the arrogant cocky heel character. He said he wondered how fans would react to Shawn Hickenbottom if he was to just go out and be himself.
He didn't lie and he didn't hurt any credibility. You just have to read between the lines. ;-)
Gosh I have to say this show was awful tonight, I can't believe how bad this show was to me
In one night in my opinion you a)killed any type of credibility of Confidental (b) Once and for all killed Trish Stratus chances of being the number 1 face and a great summer feud with molly (c) totally overshadow Benoit return with the Return of HBK
now to the show
- Anderson got pissed on!! wow there's one guy I can't look in the eye again or take serious. Is there anything worse.
- yaaa Bradshaw gets his big Texas win, I'm so exsited,,, hummm
-X-pac v. Goldust - horrible backsage stuff, not a good match at all. But thought it was funny as hell Goldust bronco buster, thinking of it it's under the good category especially what JR said during it (wait for quote of the night later on)
Trish v. Terri - the nail in the women division coffin. Whats the point of Trish actually working on her wrestling if she will be on the same level as Terri?.. If this is what the fans want so why were they dead during the match and much more supportive during Trish's legit matches... Why are they making Trish look like just another non-wreslting-caring diva... Why did the ruin the one good thing Raw had going for it week in week out... JR tried to save it saying that Trish did this match to sucker Molly in, not buying it.
Brock/Eddie v. RVD/Bubba - highlight of the night easily. What a great match, I'm not a fan of big man but I'm loving Bubba/Brock, I've never been into a big man feud like these two, Great match, Great setups... Love bubba tackle on Brock at the end vicious.
Booker v. Regal - average match. not much of note to remember.
Dreamer v. Undertaker - why did I find this morbidly ammusing. Dreamer eating his vomit made me laugh, her waving his arm and it went to the crowd was funny... Jeff was kind of cool coming in... But should the world champ be in comedy matches?
-HBK return, I should mark out shouldn't I. But I didn't. I think if he came out on his own I'd be much happier. I personally I'm so sick of the nWo and everything about it. So they have another over-the-hill spokesman who can't wrestler, ISn't that what Nash is for?
Flair v. Austin - this match was blah, is Flair only counter is a thumb to the eye? Not much there to end a pretty lame show. Wow Flair gets humiliated week in and week out. grrrreat
other stuff??? Umm was there anything interesting backstage? RVD was kinda funny with Heyman, that's all
Line of the night JR during Goldust bronco buster "It's like a bizarre mating retuial"
sign of the night "Nash is Trish" is always a good one, also like "bored" and arrows pointing everywhere
I don't get it, everyone loves rats, but they don't want to drink the rats milk?
i didn't think it was that bad. but i did feel like I was transported into the mid-90's. I wondered allowed if Diesel was wrestling King Mabel at the PPV. I wondered what HBK would do to Psycho Sid when he arrived at the arena. But most of all I thought it was odd The Ringmaster was pushed so hard last night.
(edited by Ffej on 4.6.02 0649) I think if you are in the passing lane, and not passing, your license should be revoked, and you should be forced to ride the bus until you promise to never delay the rest of us again. --George Carlin
While the return of HBK was a surprise, my favourite moment was still the Booker T/Regal backstage segment, with Booker coming back and yelling SUCKAAAAA while staring at his hand. That was laugh out loud funny.
Raw was awesome last night. Just awesome. OK, I could do without the Tommy Dreamer puking thing(although if it leads up to Jeff Hardy actually doing something important and not just getting killed by Taker, I'm for it) and Double A getting "pissed" on, but besides those two minor points, it was a great show. Besides, HBK is back! Hell, even if he takes a Flair-like role and is used mostly for promos and the occasional match, Ill be really really happy. In fact, give that man the 20 minute interview slot next week! HBK is back, things are egtting a lot more interesting and I'm very, very happy.
"You better get his ass outta here before I get up"- Undertaker
Originally posted by cfgbbr> And this Saturday when he said the Heartbreak Kid is dead - he meant the arrogant cocky heel character. He said he wondered how fans would react to Shawn Hickenbottom if he was to just go out and be himself.
He didn't lie and he didn't hurt any credibility. You just have to read between the lines. ;-)
Are you saying that wasn't the Heartbreak Kid out there? The music, the way he walked to the ring and all that. You could argue that they had to use his old music because that's how the fans know him, and I guess it's too soon to tell what direction the character will take. But the way he came out last night and the fact that he's going to be running buddies with Nash hardly makes me think this will be a whole new Hickenbottom. I'm sure they'll be faces or at least tweeners, but that doesn't mean he won't be HBK.
My favorite sign was "Thank God for Plastic Surgery" during the Trish/Terri match. (HEY Homer, I was typing that when you posted!)
regarding Hardyz: Jeff goes out and beats on Taker, Taker retaliates and beats on Matt. I could see this going 2 ways: Either the Hardyz become Taker's new ragdolls, or Matt gets pissed at Jeff for instigating Taker. Hey, they don't have anything else for the Hardyz to do, why not attempt to split them again? (groan)
The Brock/Bubba/RVD/Eddie match was pretty sweet, and Booker T still entertains the heck out of me. This is indeed reminding me of WCW, where the undercard was far more interesting than the "main event". I do wish they could keep the women's wrestling respectable though, and hope they get Molly/Trish right. So far it seems like they're only getting it about half-right. Last week's tag match was good. This week's "Women's match" was not.
* The only thing good about the opening segment was "Do you like nature? Do you like boys? Don't answer that."
* Hardcore title shenanigans home-state boy woo hah. Three minutes of my life I'll never get back.
* The Ratty Little Sucka advances. Dueling bronco-busters. Make that six minutes I'll never get back.
* Jeff Hardy -- EXTREME Folk Guitarist. Pickin' for the moment!
(I would have COMPLETELY fallen out if Matt had done the Belushi thing from Animal House -- interrupted Jeff's song, grabbed the guitar, smash smash mangle smash... "Sorry.")
* GO AWAY TERRI. FAR FAR AWAY.
After all the hype over Fit Finlay's recent involvement in the women's division, they treat us to a Cinemax outtake starring Mae Young's niece in a thong. Urk. I'd rather have seen Finlay in a lingerie match, all things considered.
* Eddy is the man, as always. The Dudleyville Dream doesn't do Dusty as well as Jarrett did, but he's trying, and can throw a meaty tackle.
* Note to the writing team: There is only one bodily fluid that's commonly associated with professional wrestling. You're 0-for-2 after guessing "urine" and "vomit." Hint: it starts with "b" and ends with "lood," because I'd hate to think what a third wrong guess might be.
* In keeping with my Animal House theme of the night, I was waiting for Dreamer to take that mouthful of chicken vegetable soup and spew it on the champ. "I'm a zit! Get it?" I was DENIED, though spitting it out while selling was a nice touch.
Dreamer eating and drinking silly things == mildly funny. Dreamer spending five minutes in a one-joke vomit sketch == NEXT WRITER PLEASE.
* So I guess the champ's taking on the Hardyz next. Well, it's two-on-one, which worked so well for them against Lesnar... er... worked so well for them against HHH... er... I'll move on.
* Nash's big announcement: "I am CHANGING my brand of hair conditioner." Oh, wait...
* Shawn Michaels, the Heartbreak Kid, is BACK.
And I ask... in all sincerity... why should I care?
I don't ask this as an insult to Shawn's career as a wrestler. We've all seen what he used to be able to do. But is he coming back as a wrestler?
If so, I'll hold the applause until I see what he's capable of doing, particularly since (a) ring rust takes a terrible toll and (b) I _know_ he can't do what got him over in the first place -- bumping like a superball.
If he's not coming back to wrestle, SO WHAT? He's already had a couple of non-wrestling reappearances, at least one as the Commissioner, did his thing, and went home. What exactly is it that he's going to add to the mix on micwork alone?
Everybody loves Foley. Foley left largely because he was running out things to do as a non-wrestling presence, and he wasn't physically capable of climbing back into the ring and doing what he once did. Is this likely to be all that different?
But oh yeah, the whole Kliq is in the house, woo hoo THE BAND IS BACK TOGETHER.
* Longer main events are a good thing (though tonight broke the string of good main events at two). But STOP WITH THE COMMERCIAL BREAKS during the main event of LIVE shows!
* Flair gets a new job as Austin's personal toilet-cleaner. Ring the Wacky Bell!
A few bright spots will keep me from breaking out the Fire Pro next Monday night.
(edited by vsp on 4.6.02 0752) "No society has managed to invest more time and energy in the perpetuation of the fiction that it is _moral, sane and wholesome_ than our current crop of _Modern Americans_." -- Frank Zappa
Well, well, well (nope, not trying to channel the quintessential studmuffin either)........
Favorite sign of the night: "DO NOT FEED THE LESNAR" I went from snickering to full out guffawing.
Note to the booking committee--just because RVD asked Paul Heyman if he'd been on the Subway diet does NOT mean we need to see Jarod as Undisputed Champion! Stick to Subway sponsoring PPV's & advertising on WWE television and we'll ALL be better off!
Booker T yelling "SUCKAAAAA!" in Regal's face=GOLD!!
Tommy Dreamer.....Did anyone else see that bucket and think "It's the second coming of 'Puke'!"?? (If you've never seen "Beyond The Mat", that was the gimmick Vince originally had in mind for Darren Drozdov, since he could puke at will.) Now if they'd have just let him pour that stuff all over Taker, he'd have gotten so much face heat.
But nope! Sorry Tommy, but Jeff "Skittlehead" Hardy is obviously higher on the WWE food chain than you.
Some day, I'm going to have a bumper sticker made for my car that says: "I mark for Y2J, X-Pac, Raven, RVD & anyone who beats the f**k out of a Hardy". Taker gets that glowing prize for this week.
I know some people don't mind when they break away in the middle of a match to go to commercial, but it drives me up the friggin' wall!!
Return of HBK = possible nWo face turn? I marked out, mainly because I didn't see that one comin'. Since I just started watching again only three years ago, I never saw Michaels in his prime.
"My object all sublime I shall achieve in time To make the punishment fit the crime The punishment fit the crime" ---W.S. Gilbert "The Mikado"
Since we're broadcasting live from my old home of Vancouver tonight, isn't this week supposed to be an appearance by the blue chipper Rocky? What would be his role for tonight? Interfere in Flair/Goldberg? Get tombstoned by Kane? Job to Gail Kim?