I loved the show last night. The only low light was seeing Hurricane versus Randy Orton thrown out there on live TV when I was sure it would be on the PPV.
The wrestling was a little light and sloppy but I expected that going into the show since everyone was in fucking England this past weekend. Yeesh. Shows after an international tour are always like that. Blame HHH.
Kudos to Randy Orton for not throwing a tantrum when his music cue wasn't right, a la DDP.
Teddy Long is gold on the microphone.
The final segment was the best bit of sports entertainment I've seen in a long, long time. It actually transcended all wrestling. It was a match that wasn't a match. It had drama and sold the story lines perfectly. Mick is a fucking champ. His bump over the stairs was classic.
The only complaints I have with it are bullshit nit picky ones like Triple H not taking his belt with him when he left the ring the first time and Mick dumping the mic before getting in the cage, necessitating Hunter throwing it to him before leaving.
Jericho / Goldberg is hot. I loved Bill's match with Rosey for all the unintended reasons. I hope they keep the two of them married through Summerslam. Bill's not over enough yet to get a shot at the big gold belt.
It was good to see RVD get pissed at Kane. Good wrestling angle and my only complaint is that the focus of the feud isn't on the tag titles.
Originally posted by Jericholic53i don't know who said it earlier, but teddy long is *very* irritating. i can't stand him, and not in that "heel" kind of way. he just seems so.. bland. in my opinion jazz's two sentences this evening made her look like a bad ass more than long's rambling ever has.
I couldn't disagree more. Teddy has gotten those two charismatic black holes more over than they could've possibly gotten on their own. He's everything that a good manager should be, shrill, irritating and usually very funny.
The problem isn't the lack of strong silent types, trying to act tough. It's that we've got too many of those.
-- Asteroid Boy
Wiener of the day: 23.7.02
"My brother saw the Undertaker walking through an airport." - Rex "Was he no-selling?" - Me
Originally posted by darkmatcherOk, maybe I've gone crazy, but I could have swore that during the RVD-Dupree match there was a spot where Dupree kind of pulled a Jackie Gayda. If anyone taped the show it would be alot of help if you could take a look at the match and check it out again. It appeared that right before RVD went for the split-leg moonsault spot Dupree kind of stared up at him and immediately threw himself down onto the mat in a very contrived way. Again, did anyone else recognize this, or did I perhaps see it wrong.
I think that was RVD faking a move, causing Rene to drop down to avoid it, whereupon RVD hit a different move that he had tricked Rene into getting into position for. One of those type deals.
First off, I love the fashion report. It sure brings a different spin on a wrestling recap. Anyway, just finished watching Raw, and once again I did not take notes so once again, this will be shorter than usual. I should be back to normal by Thursday.
1) Goldberg/Rosey -> If I was Goldberg, I would be thinking, "All those years in WCW and I was the main event. Tonight, I get the opening match." OK match, even though the dropkick surprise me. Next week, Scott Steiner does a monkey flip...well, who knows.
2) RVD/DuPree -> Still waiting for the Kane turn #25346, or whatever number I used in my report last week.
3) Divas match -> Another OK match. Not much else to say.
4) Steiner/Storm -> Poor Lance. He was one of the top wrestlers in ECW, now he gets the jobber introduction (while he's in the ring). My comparision to Test/Steiner/Stacy situation is this: Test=Bluto, Stacy=Olive Oyl, Steiner=Popeye...especially when they walk in separate directions while holding Stacy.
5) Foley/HHH interview -> At least for one week, I am happy to see Foley back in the ring. You had to drag the entire cell to Miami for this?
6) Spinarooni contest -> King was very funny with his Kingarooni. His crown stayed on the entire time, too. I knew T was going to get attacked.
7) Orton/Hurricane -> Didn't Orton have his own music before? No music for Orton for a few seconds...that's how we feel about him. We end up with a bloody Flair...80's style.
8) D-von/Rodney Mack -> Hmmmm...the master of the white boy's challenge is almost as white as the rest of us. Other than that, who cares. Man, did that have to be our wrestling main event.
9) The final confrontation -> lasted a little long, still hilarious with Foley not giving up.
Overall, pretty boring in my book. Be back after I watch Smackdown on Thursday, probably by 11:00 CST.
12/18: 3 Hour RAW 12/25: Tribute to the Troops 1/1: Cena/K-Fed 1/8: New Year's Revolution Fallout / begin Rumble build 1/15: Rumble build 1/22: last show before Rumble 1/29: Rumble Fallout / begin WM23 build