The W
Views: 133199189
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.5.18 0453
The W - Pro Wrestling - RAW 3/12/18
This thread has 5 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 6.39
Pages: 1
(59 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (12 total)
KJames199
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 10.12.01
From: #yqr

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 18 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.69
- Lillian Ellison Glorifying BAttle Royal
- I thought that was Rhyno too
- other stuff happened probably

Promote this thread!
andy1278
Kolbasz








Since: 11.1.02
From: Brunswick, GA

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 19 hours
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.54
The Moolah thing is baffling. I feel like SOMEBODY up high could have seen the problem with it, especially in today's times... but this is from the same day that noted feminist Kid Rock was named a Hall of Famer, so awareness seems to have died for the week.

Really, most anybody would have been better. Hell, just name it the Stephanie McMahon Honorary Women's Revolution Battle Royal.

The Roman/Brock stuff is kinda working. If you give Roman decent material, he can make it work.

I like the Nia Jax advancement. It is definitely relatable for some of the other "not like most girls" watching, and it'll definitely help cement her as a face. And she has plenty of personality to pull it off while also being a monster. I kinda hope Sasha/Bayley gets pulled into their own WM match, even if it is on the preshow, and they aren't sucked into the Moolah Battle Royal.

Speaking of, I'm mixed on Braun Strowman, One Man Tag Team. In a way it kinda kills off all of those other tag teams, who will now be sent to the Andre Battle Royal (or the Legion of Doom Memorial Battle Royal for tag teams, at the rate we are going and yes, I know Animal is still alive), but in another way it is Braun destroying so it's okay. I kinda hope he ends up with Elias as his partner.

I'm so glad to get Mickie James on TV.
Quezzy
Scrapple








Since: 6.1.02
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.94
I have been impressed with the number of people online who have dumped on the Fabulous Moolah thing. Multiple WWE women have taken down posts glorifying Moolah after the negative feedback and Forbes picked up on it. Hopefully other media will too. For once it's a positive that everyone on the internet hates everything!

Vince getting involved in the Roman stuff at least intrigues me. Same with the Bayley/Sasha stuff and the Braun Strowman tag team. I don't know if any of it's good yet but I want to see where it goes.

I kind of wanted the Miztourage to win the tag title shot. I know that wouldn't be an exciting Wrestlemania match or anything but I like Bo and having The Miz talk for them and at ringside would be great. I miss the days of a group having multiple titles.



Lance's Response:

THAT IS AWESOME!
Sec19Row53
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Oconomowoc, WI

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.24
Clue me in - what's the problem with Moolah?



Co-champ 2016 The-W Football Survivor Pool
2017? - Sad trombone
Chumpstain
Bockwurst








Since: 21.1.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 69 days
Last activity: 1 day
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.28
There's a lot of problems with Moolah. During her reign on top of women's wrestling, she 'trained' most of her potential challengers in how to wrestle. And by 'trained', I mean 'extorted money from and sold as prostitutes'. There's a lot more to it than just that, but that's the most egregious part. Hopefully someone else can elaborate more.

It really is a mess, and it's something that has only really come to light in the last decade or so.
KJames199
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 10.12.01
From: #yqr

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 18 hours
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.69
    Originally posted by Sec19Row53
    Clue me in - what's the problem with Moolah?


Here's an article with some info.


    It’s long been wrestling lore that her Girl Wrestling Enterprises booking agency was, if not outright a scheme to pressure trainees into prostitution, then dangerously close to one. Susie May McCoy, a Moolah trainee who wrestled as Sweet Georgia Brown, told her children that she was expected to undress if someone knocked on her motel room door at “strange hours,” or else she would be beaten. McCoy’s daughter also witnessed a woman, implied to be Moolah, assault her mother over a minor perceived slight.

    In 2014, Jeannine Mjoseth, a Moolah student who had a short career as Mad Maxine and Lady Maxine, didn’t mince words about her mentor in an interview with Slam! Wrestling, the wrestling site operated by Canada’s Sun Media newspaper conglomerate. “Moolah did send girls out to this guy in Arizona and pimped them out,” she recalled. “I actually spoke to him on the phone and asked him what he was looking for. He said, ‘If I’m spending all this money, you know what I want.’ That was part of Moolah’s way of making money. She was just a bad person. Moolah didn’t have a good bone in her body.”
Sec19Row53
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Oconomowoc, WI

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.24
    Originally posted by KJames199
      Originally posted by Sec19Row53
      Clue me in - what's the problem with Moolah?


    Here's an article with some info.


      It’s long been wrestling lore that her Girl Wrestling Enterprises booking agency was, if not outright a scheme to pressure trainees into prostitution, then dangerously close to one. Susie May McCoy, a Moolah trainee who wrestled as Sweet Georgia Brown, told her children that she was expected to undress if someone knocked on her motel room door at “strange hours,” or else she would be beaten. McCoy’s daughter also witnessed a woman, implied to be Moolah, assault her mother over a minor perceived slight.

      In 2014, Jeannine Mjoseth, a Moolah student who had a short career as Mad Maxine and Lady Maxine, didn’t mince words about her mentor in an interview with Slam! Wrestling, the wrestling site operated by Canada’s Sun Media newspaper conglomerate. “Moolah did send girls out to this guy in Arizona and pimped them out,” she recalled. “I actually spoke to him on the phone and asked him what he was looking for. He said, ‘If I’m spending all this money, you know what I want.’ That was part of Moolah’s way of making money. She was just a bad person. Moolah didn’t have a good bone in her body.”


Thanks - I had no idea.



Co-champ 2016 The-W Football Survivor Pool
2017? - Sad trombone
thecubsfan
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 10.12.01
From: Aurora, IL

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 6 hours
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.44
    Originally posted by andy1278
    The Moolah thing is baffling. I feel like SOMEBODY up high could have seen the problem with it, especially in today's times... but this is from the same day that noted feminist Kid Rock was named a Hall of Famer, so awareness seems to have died for the week.


I think they were aware of the reaction, but are also so confident in their ability to control the narrative and ability to drown out the stories they don't want to be told. They may not be successful at it - that whole opening bit to make Roman Reigns anti-authority and not Vince's chosen one still ended up with people happy he was gone - but they sure believe they can make it happen.

    Originally posted by Quezzy
    I have been impressed with the number of people online who have dumped on the Fabulous Moolah thing. Multiple WWE women have taken down posts glorifying Moolah after the negative feedback and Forbes picked up on it. Hopefully other media will too. For once it's a positive that everyone on the internet hates everything!


This is going to be the interesting thing, if the people who cover WWE, the sites who get to announce the HOF inductees, actually talk about this situation. My recollection is The Ringer/David Shoemaker has mentioned it in the past, but are they going to talk about it again while they're producing a WWE approved movie? Will ESPN risk whatever WM coverage plans they have by talking about a story WWE doesn't want told?

If those site don't bring it up, or bring it up only in the smallest ways to deflect criticism, then WWE's strategy of embracing 'mainstream' media to surround themselves with favorable coverage really has paid off. This is the ultimate test of that.



thecubsfan.com - luchablog
Kevintripod
Banger








Since: 11.5.03
From: Mount Pleasant, Pa.

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.97
I don't get how none of this shocking stuff about Moolah never really made the light of day until they decided to name a battle royal after her.
cranlsn
Toulouse








Since: 18.3.02
From: Hartland, WI

Since last post: 69 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.89

    Originally posted by Kevintripod
    I don't get how none of this shocking stuff about Moolah never really made the light of day until they decided to name a battle royal after her.


The information's been out there for quite a while, but it happened so long ago and WWE hasn't really mentioned Moolah until this.

By comparison, I'm thinking people would probably get up in arms if someone decided to host a "Fatty Arbuckle Memorial" film festival too.
Chumpstain
Bockwurst








Since: 21.1.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 69 days
Last activity: 1 day
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.28
    Originally posted by Kevintripod
    I don't get how none of this shocking stuff about Moolah never really made the light of day until they decided to name a battle royal after her.


The info's been out there, I read about it a few years back, there just was never any reason for it to be broadcast far and wide. Moolah's dead and buried, she wasn't being featured or talked about on TV, WWE named their women's tournament after Mae Young instead. So the info was only there for the people who stumbled on it or who cared to look.

Now, with something major being named after her and attention being drawn that way, this information that's come to light is suddenly relevant to everyone, and the people who dug it up or who were victimized by it have a platform to speak from where people will actually listen.
kellogs
Italian








Since: 28.3.11
From: England

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 35 min.
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.50
They must have known that Moolah wasn't the person to name this match over. I cannot see why they would even think about it, let alone do it. It isn't hard to find out information, especially once word gets out about it, and as they are a company that both loves and hates internet fans they must have seen this happening. So many positive names they could have gone with. I'd prefer the Eva Marie Battle Royal!

Maybe this is just an outsider looking and not understanding it, but there has to be someone who can see the likely outcome of these decisions. Having Roman being the new Cena who was the new Hogan must have looked brilliant on paper, but reactions aren't based on paper. Even if they were then you must think that they are completely out of touch and going completely against everything they say they do. 'We listen to the fans'. Really? There are times that ignoring the fans has to be done, but it is constant nowadays. They aren't going to miss my £10 a month but can't see more subscribing to the Network than leave in the near future.

EDIT - just looked on the Observer site and saw that they have dropped the name and it is now just the 'Wrestlemania Womens Battle Royal'. Good call on their part. Shame they didn't see sense initially to save them this problem.

(edited by kellogs on 15.3.18 1704)
Thread rated: 6.39
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Fabulous Moolah's name removed from WrestleMania battle royal
Next thread: NXT #439 3/14/18
Previous thread: WrestleMania 38 lineup
(59 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Trying to watch this on the Network live, it was the anti-IYH: Beware of Dog. The middle three matches were perfect, but the first and last matches were completely unwatchable. Had to go back after the fact.
- Mr Shh, NXT Takeover: Dallas (2016)
Related threads: RAW 3/5/18 - I was away last week... - WWE Raw & SD 2/5-6/18 - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - RAW 3/12/18Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2018 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.519 seconds.