The W
Views: 100265953
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
31.10.14 0553
The W - Pro Wrestling - Raw #1030 2-18-13 (Page 3)
This thread has 106 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.93
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
(747 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (53 total)
Tyler Durden
Landjager








Since: 22.2.04
From: Frankfurt, Germany

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
#41 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.61
    Originally posted by Wpob
      Originally posted by Greymarch
      Let's just hope it's not DX


    You know it will be.


Why not Evolution instead? 4 on 3 is better than 2 on 3.



#WatchROH
El Nastio
Andouille








Since: 14.1.02
From: Ottawa Ontario, by way of Walkerton

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 17 hours
ICQ:  
#42 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.44
    Originally posted by dwaters
    I must say: The Rock's theme song with live marching band drums came off totally cool and badass.


That was a hella impressive performance by the marching band's percussionists, and it did sound wicked badass/

    Originally posted by dwaters
    It would be fun to see Wade Barrett get the band back together to try and stop The Shield.


Not the worse idea in the world, I like it. Especially if it's an uneasy alliance between Barrett, Ryback, and Gabriel, with Barrett's personality naturally trying to control of the reformed group.

    Originally posted by AlbySure

    EDIT: Any outcome that results in the return of Michael Tarver is encouraged. He is the product.


Not a bad gimmick and name, actually. "The product".

    Originally posted by It's False
    My guess? If The E can't stop those babyface pops, I get the feeling that the last of defense against The Shield becomes Mark Henry. And I guarantee that face turn gets the biggest pop of the year, so far.


This makes an enormous amount of sense. My only concern is would Henry destroying fools and everything around him translate into a face when Ryback is already the monster Face?



"You can't put a price on integrity"
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 124 days
Last activity: 124 days
#43 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.33
    Originally posted by OndaGrande
    Just a few thoughts on the new WWE Championship belt. First, I don't hate it & am definitely in the "better than the spinner" camp. I read up on the design process & they used the 3-d mill at Orange County Choppers to cut the billet for the main facet. Like the belt or hate it a lot of effort went into not just the design but the execution as well. Second, it's designed to look good on t.v. & to the live audience, even the people up in the rafters. The WW Logo is distinctive and visible and & the gems will be refracting light all over the place. The Rock's bulls do indeed appear to be some form of personalization allowed. Third, as some wrestlers pointed out on Facebook, low level Indy promotions won't just be able to buy a replica belt ( of varying quality down to the ones they sell a K-Mart ) and slap a few stickers on it to use as their own.


wwe.com's Making of the New WWE Title (wwe.com) is pretty interesting. After looking at the photo gallery of the past WWE Championship belts, honestly, most of them are pretty damn ugly up to and including the spinner. For sentimental value, the eagle belt worn from 1988 to 1997 is my favorite, but I get the design concept of the new title - so that it is clearly worded "WWE Champion" and is instantly recognizable as such. After a while, the new title grows on you.

My question is: Who will be the first man to actually wear the new title around his waist? God knows The Rock won't. And Cena probably won't as well. Will it have to be Punk?



"Cody, I mustache you a question." - The Miz
Spiraling_Shape
Bratwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: PA

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 9 hours
#44 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.41
    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    wwe.com's Making of the New WWE Title (wwe.com) is pretty interesting. After looking at the photo gallery of the past WWE Championship belts, honestly, most of them are pretty damn ugly up to and including the spinner. For sentimental value, the eagle belt worn from 1988 to 1997 is my favorite, but I get the design concept of the new title - so that it is clearly worded "WWE Champion" and is instantly recognizable as such. After a while, the new title grows on you.


Most interesting part of that article: Stan Stanski is a real person! Not just the best fake jobber name during the build-up of The Ryback last year. Whodathunkit?!



"Ice cream bars! Ice cream bars!" - RAW crowd, Boston, 7/11/11
dMp
Banger








Since: 4.1.02
From: The Hague, Netherlands (Europe)

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 3 hours
#45 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.88
The image of the belt earlier in this thread made me dread it. But it looked much better in moving pictures.
And it seems like I'm a minority but I liked the nameplate. It means something to have your name on that thing. Or to lift it with another guys name, meaning you vanguished him.

I don't think we'll see many customizations. Or at least I don't want it because it would mean everyone needs to come up with a silly logo to put on there. Punk can have the lightning rod, Cena has whatever he has these days, but beyond that? Will Bryan put a goat face on it? Or that silly drawn wrestling ring? No sir. i don't like it.

As for the show. I was amused by Henry's grooving.
And he's come a very long way. Instead of "ugh, I don't care about Henry vs Khali at WM" most of us think "That's so beneath Henry, he deserves a good spot!" Wow.

The Shield winning again was amazing. They keep pointing out how well they work together and how they always manage to keep the odds in their favor.
You just know at some point they're gonna be isolated (stipulations and such) and at that point they'll get beaten. Not a bad thing. It's how these stories work. But it'll be interesting to see if/when/how we get there.

I was shocked to see Punk still involved in the title picture. Obviously, Monday will be the big test.
GodEatGod
Boudin rouge








Since: 28.2.02

Since last post: 73 days
Last activity: 12 days
#46 Posted on | Instant Rating: 10.00
    Originally posted by kentish

    Yeah, Henry squashed Khali last week, dominated him in every way, but then backs off from him this week? That's Killing A Face Turn 101.




I'll actually give Cole a little credit here, since he doesn't often deserve it. He sold Henry's response as a general dismissal of Khali, rather than any sort of fear or cowardice. They'd also just showed footage of Henry squashing Khali. Combined with Henry's general laughter at and mockery of Khali, I doubt it was setting up much more than maybe a Smackdown or Main Event match (admittedly, I haven't checked spoilers).

I actually think Mark should challenge Team Hell No for the tag titles at WM. No partner, just Mark, vowing to only fight handicap matches if he's champion. He can beat any TWO guys on the roster, anytime, because THAT'S WHAT HE DOES!



"Never piss off a hawk with a blowgun" - Conan O'Brien
JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 11 hours
Last activity: 5 hours
#47 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.75
    Originally posted by Texas Kelly
      Originally posted by JustinShapiro
      Aw man not Jericho/Ryback.

      Originally posted by Amos Cochran
      Jericho/Ryback is on, I guess?

    Don't think we need to worry about this happening. Jericho's going to be gone for the next two weeks touring Australia with Fozzy and I think they'll pick up with Ziggler in earnest when he gets back.


I really hope so. I guess we'll see if there's any fallout for Swag that might change things with Ziggler first. If the plan was to have him be the first guy to do the cash-in steal at Wrestlemania, I wonder if you save that just for the novelty and just do Henry.

But you're right -- if Jericho is off for two weeks it doesn't make sense to heat up an angle with him and whomever. The body language with Ryback and telling him not to get disqualified though ... I still fear one of those swerve "turn on the guy you're saving" things in two weeks. Here's hoping.

It would seem like pretty abrupt storytelling to me to have Ryback get thwarted at every turn by the Shield and then abruptly do something else for WM. Ditto Sheamus if this thing with Barrett's movie becomes their equivalent of the Japanese shampoo commercial. Ditto the Shield if they say "well we've been unstoppably destroying main eventers for months, so our next goal should be ... winning the Tag Team Championship." Those five should be locked together for the next six weeks to lead to some kind of decisive triple bullrope match or something. Maybe Hog Pen rules if the feud gets hot enough.

Speaking of vacations, the general sentiment seems to be that teasing Punk in a threeway is more about setting up something for TV the next two weeks that Rock is gone than setting up Wrestlemania.
Texas Kelly
Lap cheong








Since: 3.1.02
From: FOREST HILLS CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

Since last post: 56 days
Last activity: 4 days
ICQ:  
#48 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.55
Ladies and gentlemen, the following public service message is brought to you by your friends from D-Generation X, who would like to remind each and every one of you that if you're not down with that, we've got two words for you...

    Originally posted by JustinShapiro
    I really hope so. I guess we'll see if there's any fallout for Swag that might change things with Ziggler first. If the plan was to have him be the first guy to do the cash-in steal at Wrestlemania, I wonder if you save that just for the novelty and just do Henry.

    But you're right -- if Jericho is off for two weeks it doesn't make sense to heat up an angle with him and whomever. The body language with Ryback and telling him not to get disqualified though ... I still fear one of those swerve "turn on the guy you're saving" things in two weeks. Here's hoping.

Henry is the obvious and correct replacement for Swagger, in my opinion. After all, the story they were telling with del Rio for the last two months was "Giant Killer", and it would be a natural transition. (It was also a *damn* good story - del Rio is so many light-years better as a face that it boggles the mind why they didn't turn him sooner.)

What I expect to see is the E to continue their practice of starting WM with the World Heavyweight title match, have del Rio sweat out a win against Henry, BAM Ziggler cash-in, then Booker forces Ziggler to put the belt on the line later in the night against Jericho. Ordinarily shooting their wad so quickly wouldn't be the best idea, but Jericho is leaving again after WM for another Fozzy tour and probably other projects as well that will keep him away until closer to Summerslam, so it makes sense to get his rub out of the way quickly.

    Originally posted by JustinShapiro
    It would seem like pretty abrupt storytelling to me to have Ryback get thwarted at every turn by the Shield and then abruptly do something else for WM. Ditto Sheamus if this thing with Barrett's movie becomes their equivalent of the Japanese shampoo commercial. Ditto the Shield if they say "well we've been unstoppably destroying main eventers for months, so our next goal should be ... winning the Tag Team Championship." Those five should be locked together for the next six weeks to lead to some kind of decisive triple bullrope match or something. Maybe Hog Pen rules if the feud gets hot enough.

They HAVE to pay off the Shield's run of destruction in a big way, but rather than bullrope or Hog Pen matches, there's only one way to up the stakes in my opinion: Hell in a Cell. Both Sheamus and Ryback have a personal stake with the three of them now (the Sheamus/Barrett thing just seems like a one-off that will be forgotten next week; they need to be more focused on finding more actual challengers for Barrett's IC title) and Orton seems like the natural third, given he's been a repeat victim of the Shield's attacks and he has no feud for WM at the moment. It'll be a total letdown if they have the Shield go after the tag titles, because it REALLY doesn't make sense from a character standpoint right now, as you pointed out.

    Originally posted by JustinShapiro
    Speaking of vacations, the general sentiment seems to be that teasing Punk in a threeway is more about setting up something for TV the next two weeks that Rock is gone than setting up Wrestlemania.

Since I REALLY can't see them torpedoing Rock/Cena II in favor of a three-way, someone suggested a tag team match pitting HHH and Undertaker against Punk and Brock in another thread, and it makes 110% sense on all kinds of levels even if egos will prevent it from actually getting booked. The problem is, what do you do with Punk if you're not going to insert him in the title match and Undertaker decides not to work the show?



e-mail me at texas (dot) kelly (at) gmailread a bunch of incoherent nonsense
now 52% more incoherent!
smark/net attack Advisory System is Elevatedsmark/net attack Advisory System Status is: Elevated
(Holds; June 18, 2006)
While the switch from Cena to RVD should alleviate some complaints, the inevitability of the belt's return to Cena (note where Summerslam is this year) and the poor initial showing by the new ECW are enough to keep the indicator where it is for now. The pieces are in place, though, especially on RAW, for improvements to be made to the IWC's psyche in the near future.
dwaters
Lap cheong








Since: 16.10.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#49 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.24
Brad Maddox would have totally fit in as a member of the Mean Street Posse if he was around back then. Pete Gas, Joey Abs,... Sweater Vests!!!
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 124 days
Last activity: 124 days
#50 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.34
Sheamus is already on top of his eventual WWE Championship customization.






"Cody, I mustache you a question." - The Miz
SKLOKAZOID
Bratwurst








Since: 20.3.02
From: California

Since last post: 10 hours
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
#51 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.38
    Originally posted by Texas Kelly
    Since I REALLY can't see them torpedoing Rock/Cena II in favor of a three-way, someone suggested a tag team match pitting HHH and Undertaker against Punk and Brock in another thread, and it makes 110% sense on all kinds of levels even if egos will prevent it from actually getting booked. The problem is, what do you do with Punk if you're not going to insert him in the title match and Undertaker decides not to work the show?


Based solely on the events of this week, I guessing we'll get a much better idea on Monday of where they're actually going. They really seem to be playing off a Rock/Cena/Punk dynamic right now, but maybe Undertaker costs Punk the match next week.

Rock/Cena/Punk makes me uneasy. I don't really like triple threats as the main events for WrestleManias, because then you always get that situation where Rock doesn't have to get pinned to lose the belt, and he really should since he hasn't lost since returning. At the same time, it'd be great for Punk and I'd love to see him go over (never happen).

There's only one triple threat main event that's worked as a WrestleMania headliner, and that was WMXX which was just the perfect dynamic of personalities putting on a great match. Rock/Punk/Cena certainly has the story to it, but if they do that, they really have to make sure the winner goes over huge.

But, Rock/Cena/Punk would avoid the whole "Once in a lifetime" controversy...


Honestly, if the Undertaker won't work WrestleMania (and they really should know by now), I think they could get a great story and throw us a good swerve by having Heyman turn on Punk and have Brock cost him the match against Cena. Then you could have McMahon and Punk form an unlikely alliance for a big time Lesnar/Punk WrestleMania match that would further cement Punk as a top star. Punk incorporates a lot of wrestling holds and interesting striking into his matches and I think that would work well against Brock's style.

Of course, the only problem is that leaves HHH out unless HHH wants to be Punk's corner man. But really, we've already seen the whole "Bully attacks McMahon family member, HHH steps up for the family" angle with Orton that we don't really need to see it again, do we?


(edited by SKLOKAZOID on 21.2.13 1543)
Peter The Hegemon
Lap cheong








Since: 11.2.03
From: Hackettstown, NJ

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#52 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.87
    Originally posted by SKLOKAZOID

    Rock/Cena/Punk makes me uneasy. I don't really like triple threats as the main events for WrestleManias, because then you always get that situation where Rock doesn't have to get pinned to lose the belt, and he really should since he hasn't lost since returning. At the same time, it'd be great for Punk and I'd love to see him go over (never happen).


That whole situation could of course be avoided if they went with some sort of elimination match rather than a triple threat, but the WWE never seems to want to do that. (I certainly understand why they don't routinely do it--you don't want your guys doing more jobs than necessary--but the occasional elimination match in a big spot like this would be a good thing IMHO.)
Vaderblade
Cotto








Since: 4.10.11
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
#53 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.00
    Originally posted by CruelAngel777

    I could totally see Zeb siding with Mark Henry after the inevitable happens with Swagger. The idea of a giant black racist siding with a white extreme-right wing racist really appeals to me (storyline wise anyway). Plus can you imagine Zeb doing his poignant xenophobic spiels while Henry randomly interrupts to loudly preach and bark at people, hand over heart?




    Originally posted by GodEatGod


    I actually think Mark should challenge Team Hell No for the tag titles at WM. No partner, just Mark, vowing to only fight handicap matches if he's champion. He can beat any TWO guys on the roster, anytime, because THAT'S WHAT HE DOES!


I could get behind these ideas combined, if anyone deserves to be yelling "I'M THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS," it's Mark Henry right now@
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
Thread rated: 5.93
Pages: Prev 1 2 3
Thread ahead: Impact Wrestling #450 2-21-13
Next thread: WWE Smackdown #705 2/22/13
Previous thread: Moves Like Swagger
(747 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I agree. It's just an inside joke and Lance looks like a pretty funny guy and in WCW had a rep of being goofy. He's a great actor/wrestler with a lot of untapped potential. Look at him in ECW and you'll agree. Victoria isn't his sister either.
Related threads: Raw #1029 2-11-13 - Raw #1028 - Raw #1027 1-28-13 (Raw Roulette) - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - Raw #1030 2-18-13 (Page 3)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.355 seconds.