The W
Views: 101532333
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.12.14 0314
The W - Pro Wrestling - Randy Orton video package
This thread has 68 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1(11540 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (16 total)
MonteCarl
Potato korv








Since: 21.1.02
From: Saginaw, MI

Since last post: 54 days
Last activity: 4 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on
Was I the only one who thought the Randy Orton video package last night was hilarious? The way it was done exactly like those old NFL video packages; the "film stock" look to the footage, the old style/look of the opening graphic, and I swear they hired the same guy to do the voice over. Now if only it had been done for someone better than Randy Orton.

--Monte N
Promote this thread!
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 539 days
Last activity: 539 days
#2 Posted on
It was blasphemy attempting to duplicate John Facenda's dolcid tones for a video of Randy Orton. Also, nice bit of hypocrisy of Vince having the announcers rip football all night, then rip off NFL Films. Oh well, the third season of the XFL will be starting very shortly. Oh year, that crashed in flames for Vince, how could I ever forget.



Thank you Mr. Wanz for the check, now you get an AWA World Title Reign. But be careful, my boy Greg is a heat machine.
deadbeater
Morcilla








Since: 12.2.02
From: Parts unknown

Since last post: 4431 days
Last activity: 4431 days
#3 Posted on
Hey, it is a dig on the NFL taking bits from the production gimmicks of the late unlamented XFL (the starting players introducing themselves, the camera angles, etc).



"Business has just picked up" says JR. Then right on cue, Molly enters the arena! Never was JR any better in introducing someone. --Raw 7/15

You want the title? Keep your clothes on!!!
The Amazing Salami
Sujuk








Since: 23.5.02
From: Oklahoma

Since last post: 3847 days
Last activity: 3846 days
#4 Posted on
Well, whatever it was, dig on who or what ... I still thought it was lame.



"You're always 17 in your hometown." - Cross Canadian Ragweed
Socks
Landjager








Since: 25.6.02
From: Ottawa

Since last post: 881 days
Last activity: 494 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.21
I thought it was great. Actually gives those casual viewers a back ground on who he is. I thought it was well done!



I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and I sleep all day!

ekedolphin
Scrapple








Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 186 days
Last activity: 24 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
Complete and utter cheese. I'm convinced that WWE, although pushing Orton as a babyface, is trying to get us to hate him in a real Rocky Maivia sort of way. The grinning, slapping hands with fans, all-American babyface who gets overpushed and who we can't stand. Then they turn him heel and give him a cutting-edge persona, making him the heel whom we want to cheer. Then after awhile he turns face again and stays that way for a long time.

Basically, I think it's an attempt at catching lightning in a bottle for a second time. And I'm not convinced that it'll work with Randy Orton. Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?



“Now put that thing back where it came from or so help me-- Oh, hey! We're rehearsing a scene from the upcoming company play called Put That Thing Back Where It Came From Or So Help Me.”
--Mike Wazowski, Monsters, Inc.

Two-Time, Two-Time Randomly Selected Weiner of the Day, 5/27/02 and 7/3/02

Pool-Boy
Lap cheong








Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1375 days
Last activity: 141 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on
I actually thought it was kind of clever. And whatever they are TRYING to do... at least it is something somewhat new. And they are putting time and money behind a newer face... and on a Raw with HHH, this is amazing indeed!
Everyone who "hates" this should remember that in a way, they are giving you what you want!



Craig Reade
"Pool Boy"

Detroit Lions! 1-3!
On the road to oh and sixt... Wha?
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 539 days
Last activity: 539 days
#8 Posted on

    Originally posted by ekedolphin
    Complete and utter cheese. I'm convinced that WWE, although pushing Orton as a babyface, is trying to get us to hate him in a real Rocky Maivia sort of way. The grinning, slapping hands with fans, all-American babyface who gets overpushed and who we can't stand. Then they turn him heel and give him a cutting-edge persona, making him the heel whom we want to cheer. Then after awhile he turns face again and stays that way for a long time.

    Basically, I think it's an attempt at catching lightning in a bottle for a second time. And I'm not convinced that it'll work with Randy Orton. Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?





Which means, Randy Orton is the Dan Spivey of this generation, as Vince is trying to recreate Flex much as he spent 10 years trying to recreate Hogan. Unfortunately for Vince, it didn't work last time and it probably won't work this time. But at least by January we'll probably be up to the Cena-Express, so it can get worse.



Thank you Mr. Wanz for the check, now you get an AWA World Title Reign. But be careful, my boy Greg is a heat machine.
Mr Heel II
Lap cheong








Since: 25.2.02

Since last post: 40 days
Last activity: 4 hours
#9 Posted on

    Originally posted by deadbeater
    Hey, it is a dig on the NFL taking bits from the production gimmicks of the late unlamented XFL (the starting players introducing themselves, the camera angles, etc).
That never even occured to me, but I bet you're right. I'll bet every ounce of NFL-bashing they did last night was specifically because Vince is pissed about the NFL's borrowing of certain XFL-style production techniques.

Vince, you need yourself a nice big cup of "settle down Beavis".
VK Wallstreet
Goetta








Since: 18.6.02
From: New York, NY, USA

Since last post: 4398 days
Last activity: 4397 days
#10 Posted on

    Originally posted by Mr Heel II
    That never even occured to me, but I bet you're right. I'll bet every ounce of NFL-bashing they did last night was specifically because Vince is pissed about the NFL's borrowing of certain XFL-style production techniques.
I hope they do a fantasy dream sequence in the cheerleaders' locker room featuring Rodney Dangerfield in a towel! That would be awesome!



¡Azúcar, flores y muchos colores! Estos fueron los ingredientes elegidos para crear a la niñita perfecta. Pero el profesor Utonio agrego accidentalmente otro ingrediente a la formula: ¡la sustancia X! Y así nacieron, ¡las Chicas Superpoderosas! ¡Con sus ultra súper poderes, Bombón, Burbuja y Bellota dedican su vida a combatir el crimen y las fuerzas del mal!
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple








Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 511 days
Last activity: 472 days
#11 Posted on
Well, WWE isn't going to trick me. If they want Orton to get booed for being Rocky Maivia V.2, then I'm going to cheer him. Your reverse psychology won't work on me, WWE!



Parts Unknown
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Darkenwood

Since last post: 27 days
Last activity: 11 days
#12 Posted on
Oh man...according to 1Bob...

"It appears that Randy Orton suffered some sort of shoulder injury this past Monday on RAW. He will be having an MRI done to see exactly what's wrong. "



"Oh, i'll never understand this emptiness...but I'll never really try and understand, I guess." - Whiskeytown, Sit and Listen to the Rain
Kawshen
Liverwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Bronx, NY

Since last post: 2018 days
Last activity: 278 days
AIM:  
#13 Posted on
Then again, whoever thought that Rocky Maivia would end up as an eight-time World Heavyweight Champion?

Nine. 7 WWF, 2 WCW.




Faust
Salami








Since: 27.7.02

Since last post: 4444 days
Last activity: 4389 days
#14 Posted on

    Originally posted by Pool-Boy
    I actually thought it was kind of clever. And whatever they are TRYING to do... at least it is something somewhat new. And they are putting time and money behind a newer face... and on a Raw with HHH, this is amazing indeed!
    Everyone who "hates" this should remember that in a way, they are giving you what you want!



How in the world is this "something new?" Imitating something that worked in '96 is something new?

???

This, although a good idea in and of itself, is another manifestation of WWE relying on things that have already been done in lieu of something new. (RAW vs. Smackdown! fabricated "war" being the best example. We just CAN'T let go of '98 - '00 can we?)

Having said that, I think the Orton-Rocky idea is a good one, and I like it a lot, but I would never call it "new."





"And in front of the entire world, I want to show my little boy that sometimes - just sometimes, you have to FIGHT to be a man." - Michael S. Hickenbottom, the man who does not take part in angles that conflict with his religion, swearing violent revenge on HHH in full view of his two-year-old son. 11:06 PM, EST. 08/05/02. This angle, which has gone from being a "clean" wrestling match to an all-out unsanctioned street fight for bloody revenge is apparently sponsored by the book of Joshua.
Net Hack Slasher
Banger








Since: 6.1.02
From: Outer reaches of your mind

Since last post: 3649 days
Last activity: 2069 days
#15 Posted on

    Originally posted by Parts Unknown
    Oh man...according to 1Bob...

    "It appears that Randy Orton suffered some sort of shoulder injury this past Monday on RAW. He will be having an MRI done to see exactly what's wrong. "



Wow it only took a week for the Raw injury jinx to catch Orton.

And deadbeater I also never connected the NFL "borrowing" a few of XFL production gimmicks and Vince in return "borrowed" some of NFL Films promo tactics with the Orton promo. Don't know if it's the case but it does seem like something Vince would do =)



WWE new slogan "WWE: circling the drain"
darkdragoon
Bockwurst








Since: 26.8.02

Since last post: 3756 days
Last activity: 3756 days
#16 Posted on
If this angle doesn't show you how off JR is, nothing will.
Pages: 1Thread ahead: David Flair
Next thread: Edge/Guerrero vs Edge/Angle: What was better?
Previous thread: WWE Calgary House Show
(11540 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
From the US Constitution:
The W - Pro Wrestling - Randy Orton video packageRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.773 seconds.