A first thread about a scifi show, 9 episodes in, on an obscure channel, about six hours before this forum gets flooded with threads about a certain Netflix show. This thread is genetically engineered to be overlooked.
And yet, I'm starting it anyway because this is so great and you need to know it exists. Next Saturday is the season finale, and I wouldn't recommend jumping in on it, but they are running the previous 9 episodes in order before it (starting at 12 pm Eastern.) Be like me, record them all, never get around to watching them, finally get around to watching one, and find yourself up to 2 AM running thru them because they do cliffhangers well.
The non-spoiler plot is part time criminal Sarah Manning returns to her foster home of Toronto, gets off the train, sees a hysterical woman crying on the train platform, Sarah realizes the woman looks just like her, and the woman immediately jumps in front of a train. And then crazy things start to happen. (If you saw any of the ads for this show, you got spoilers for late in about episode 2. You're better off without them.)
Tatiana Maslany plays the lead character (and a bit more than that - I'm still not spoiling anything so you'll go watch it) and probably should win like all the awards. Even when things don't quite come off perfect, the level of difficulty she has on the show is crazy. The show doesn't work at all if she can't pull off what the script asks out of her, and it works so all the awards. The other point in her and the show's favor is - for a scifi show about a mystery and shady people - they allow the characters to be a lot more bold and direct than normal for these shows. Not everything is clear at this point, but it's not because they've had people avoid asking (and answering) dumb questions. The main character comes off as clever even as they're trying to figure things out.
Orphan Black proceeding thru the plot so steadily that I was surprised to read they were being renewed for a second season - it didn't felt like a short run minis series for the first few episodes, not an ongoing thing. It does calm down about halfway thru, with one character undergoing a shift in how she's portrayed to accommodate a longer run, but it still feels like Important Things Are Happening (or at least amusing things are happening; it turns funnier than you'd expect given the episode 1 body count.)
There are things which aren't great - both of the guys Sarah are linked are not great for different reasons - but there's a lot of good stuff here.
Sales pitch done, actual episode talk. You're going to be spoiled, go watch the show.
- Leekie could've been wearing a shirt reading "EVIL!" on it and been less subtle - but it was still better than the last few weeks. What I can't understand is how Leekie lost track of Sarah but knew of Helena if what we were told at the end of the episode was equally true and they were both hidden.
- Kira's quick recovery has to with whatever they've done to Sarah and the rest, but everyone knows this and doesn't want to worry about what else this could mean. Figure it's not a coincidence the slight gene differences are discovered in the same episode. The characters thought the differences in the early episodes were all due to environment, but maybe the actual answer is something more designed (environment included.)
- Sarah's been pretty much honest with everyone at this point except Art, which seems about to backfire. I guess she's be detained from doing anything else if she leveled with Art, but it's unlike her to still be playing the Beth game and it'd be a wedge to use against her other problems.
- Cosima's last shot to Delphine was the meanest thing I've heard on TV in some time. That was cold blooded.
- I had no idea Allison would end up being this much fun. Her intervention guests might have had a point about her substance issues - no one's really bringing up anything from before the last few days, but Allison seems to have some issues. So many of the linked characters have similar problems - it keeps getting brought up about Beth's recent past - that I wonder if it's not just about their current crisis but something deeper.
- since there's a 100% chance we already know the face of the mystery woman in the episode (it really can't be a different one), what I'd really like to know in the finale is how many linked people there are out there. Just 10? A lot more?
I want to thank Cubs for this thread. Had he not posted we wouldn't have been introduced to such an amazing show.
"Tattoos are the mullets of the aughts." - Mike Naimark
"Don't stop after beating the swords into ploughshares, don't stop! Go on beating and make musical instruments out of them. Whoever wants to make war again will have to turn them into ploughshares first" - Yehuda Amichai
TOP PREORDERS OF THE WEEK 1 1 The Great Gatsby (Two-Disc Special Edition DVD + UltraViolet) (The W at Amazon) 2 5 The Great Gatsby (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack) 3 3 The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season 4 2 Sons of Anarchy: