Average PPV. Not too bad, but nothing really blow-away or surprising.
The Rock and Rave Infection vs. The Prince Justice Brotherhood: Mostly comedy, some of it actually funny -- mostly the parts involving Curry Man and Christy Hemme (this was a six-man tag -- Hemme was a participant). Curry Man pins Hemme (although he may have just been checking on her) after Shark Boy hit her with the Stone Cold Chummer.
ODB vs. Awesome Kong: Not bad falls-count-anywhere match. One notable spot was ODB powerbombing Kong into a table that didn't break -- both of them seemed a little shaken up after that -- ODB caught the edge of the table in the ribs. Kong wins by PLOWING ODB through a second table.
Team 3D vs. Matt Morgan and Abyss: Dull. Abyss pins Devon with a Black Hole Slam. Matt Morgan and Abyss argue afterward because Morgan thinks Abyss hit him with a chair (it was Ray!). Nevertheless, MM&A will probably win the Tag Titles soon because they are SO BIG!
Petey Williams vs. Consequences Creed vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir: The Canadian crowd LOVES Petey Williams, gasping in anticipation of the Canadian Destroyer, cheering lustily for the Sharpshooter, and exploding when Williams finally is able to hit his finisher on Creed. But Bashir yanks Williams out of the ring and covers for the pin...and the X Division Title! Fun match!
Taylor Wilde vs. Angelina Love: Love has Velvet Sky and "Cute" Kip with her; Wilde brings out Rhino to offset Kip. Mostly uneventful; Wilde wins with the Northern Lights suplex.
Sonjay Dutt vs. Jay Lethal: Some great ladder spots here -- exciting stuff! Val FINALLY turns on Jay and gives Dutt the win -- and then TOTALLY MAKES OUT WITH HIM afterward!
Beer Money vs. LAX: Salinas is not here because she supposedly got beaten up by Jackie before the match; in reality, she's left the company. (This is good news -- she was a real weak link, both in LAX and in the Knockout Division. She was hired before the KO Division began -- I always felt that if they had hired for that spot after the KO Division began, they would have hired someone who could wrestle a little better. Hopefully they'll pick up Mercedes Martinez now...)
Anyway, BEER! MONEY! retains the titles after Jackie throws powder in Homicide's face and Roode hits the Payoff (Perfectplex).
AJ Styles vs. Frank Trigg: MMA-style, supposedly -- Holy Cow, the crowd hates this, chanting "WE WANT WRESTLING," "FIRE RUSSO," and "THIS IS BULLSHIT." And THEN it ends in a No Contest after an accidental low blow by Styles on Trigg. Styles goes nuts of Trigg with a kendo stick after that. (Trigg, by the way, looked pretty good, for what it was.)
(They actually give us a shot of the crowd chanting "FIRE RUSSO" which again makes me worry that SOMEONE will want to make this an angle and Russo will come back as an on-screen character.)
Christian Cage vs Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe: Due to Hurricane Ike, Booker T could not make it. I was surprised that they didn't put someone else in the match -- Rhino, maybe, or Eric Young. Solid match which ended, as expected, with a Jeff Jarret run-in. The ref was already out, and Kurt had hit Cage ACROSS THE FACE with a chairshot, taking him out permanent-like. JJ came in and hit Angle with a guitar shot, allowing Joe -- the opportunist! no respect! -- to hit the Musclebuster for the win.
(edited by Karlos the Jackal on 15.9.08 0235) Last 5 movies seen: Burn After Reading **** - Tarantula **1/2 - Young @ Heart ***1/2 - Baby Mama *** - The Dark Knight ****
This was a pretty up and down show as almost every other match was good with the others being bad.
- I was beginning to get tired of Curry Man instead of Fallen Angel then he goes and does some of the funniest in ring stuff I've seen in a while. At least let the guy pull double duty. Maybe Daniels isn't main event material but he could at least do something with the X title.
- ODB/Kong was definitely the better Knockout match. I haven't been that impressed with Wilde and was disappointed that Angelina didn't win the title.
- X Division Match was good but if Steiner is going to be out of action then Petey should drop the Steiner impression. Lethal/Dutt was pretty good as well. Some nice spots, a few new-ish spots. Didn't really get the time that a big ladder match on WWE would though.
- AJ vs. Trigg was not great but the payoff of AJ just unloading on Trigg with the kendo stick was one of the best moments of the PPV.
- I was also surprised they didn't add anybody to the main event. I'm glad though because I don't think anybody (except maybe AJ) could've been inserted into the match and kept it up to the quality that it was. Very good main event sans the ending.
Despite the bad booking and story telling and Sting refusing to be a heel I like the way the match ups for the PPV could be headed. I'm thinking it will be something like.
Sting vs. Joe - makes the most sense, better than Joe/Nash too Angle vs. Jarrett - One high profile guy and another kind of high profile guy Team 3D vs. Christian/AJ? Or maybe Booker vs. AJ? Lethal/Dutt finale Kong vs. ??? ODB vs. Saied Creed vs. Bashir Hopefully LAX or MCMG win the tag titles. Also if Foley IS going to have a few matches in TNA then their biggest PPV of the year would make sense.