The W
Views: 127507420
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.8.17 1352
The W - Current Events & Politics - NJ Gov McGreevery Resigns Comes out of Closet
This thread has 28 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.29
Pages: 1
(1235 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (18 total)
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 2303 days
Last activity: 758 days
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
Links are not actually available yet, but I just watched the press conference, and cannot believed that he chose now, on national television, to come out of the closet.

I feel worst for his kids and his wife, both because of the affair and because of the implications.

There is also an alleged sexual harrasment suit by one of his former aides as well.

We haven't heard the last of this...




Promote this thread!
David Adams
Kishke








Since: 2.1.02
From: NJ

Since last post: 125 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.93
The NY Daily News has it via Ap I think. I've been stuck at work so I only heard about it five minutes ago from a friend who was listening to the radio.

NJ Governor Resigns (nydailynews.com)
DrOp
Frankfurter








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3269 days
Last activity: 2136 days
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.74
A bold move to be sure and this can (and will) be spun in many ways.

The sad part is that his sexuality puts more of a target on his back than his infidelity.





ITVR: In-Jokes like 90's De La Soul--come be entertained AND confused.
DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 197 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.30
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Links are not actually available yet, but I just watched the press conference, and cannot believed that he chose now, on national television, to come out of the closet.

    I feel worst for his kids and his wife, both because of the affair and because of the implications.

    There is also an alleged sexual harrasment suit by one of his former aides as well.

    We haven't heard the last of this...



It may be the best way to minimize the damage. Offense instead of defense.



Perception is reality
DrOp
Frankfurter








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3269 days
Last activity: 2136 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.74
The local spin (according to Shaddax and WCBS 880) is that he was improperly using his office to secure jobs and perks for his lover.



ITVR: In-Jokes like 90's De La Soul--come be entertained AND confused.
Ticamo
Boerewors








Since: 19.7.02
From: Trenton, NJ, USA

Since last post: 3829 days
Last activity: 3128 days
AIM:  
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.80
This is definately big news in the Garden State, but the whispers and implications of his sexual orientation were subject to a lot of debate. Basically, him being gay wasn't necessarily BIG NEWS for many. Hell, anyone with a working gay-dar could have picked up on it. He just was 'too quiet' about his life and his public displays of affection towards his wife were kinda choreographed, if you will. Hell, I thought she knew about it all along and just went along with the 'sham marriage'. Kinda explains how she stood by him as he professed his sexuality and she just grinned.

The reason for him coming out deals with his lover, who he met years back. Now this guy, Golan Cipel, was basically given a job in New Jersey's Homeland Security Office. Only problem was, he's not a US citizen and couldn't be cleared by INS for the job, he also lacked experience for the job. This was the front page of many local papers for weeks because the Gov. went far and above the call of duty to get this guy a job, fueling rumors. So anyway, amid the controversy, Cipel resigned.

So, the lovers have a spat and Cipel decides to blackmail the Gov. and say that he'll tell everyone that the Gov's gay, unless he pays him to stay quiet. The Gov. cuts his losses, confesses his sexuality to his family and holds a press conference.

It's all a little odd to me. But, I'm not terribly surprised by it.



(edited by Ticamo on 12.8.04 1843)

Meg: Being a single mother is hard, but the real challenge is having a baby that's addicted to crack. Right Stewie?

Stewie: What's that? Oh yes, yes, I love crack. I'm absolutely cuckoo for crack.
Dahak
Frankfurter








Since: 12.5.02
From: Junction City OR.

Since last post: 3060 days
Last activity: 2713 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.35
    Originally posted by DrOp
    The local spin (according to Shaddax and WCBS 880) is that he was improperly using his office to secure jobs and perks for his lover.


Shit I live in Oregon where the best governor we have had in 20 years used his job to get his ex jailbait lover a job she wasn't qualified for. That politics for you.



Marge I am just trying to get into heaven not run for Jesus.
Eddie Famous
Andouille








Since: 11.12.01
From: Catlin IL

Since last post: 210 days
Last activity: 92 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.42

From the Fight News website, the most important side to this story....

From the article titled "NJ Doors Opening for Tyson?":

"There may be new hope for Mike Tyson fighting in New Jersey. Governor James E. McGreevey had banned Tyson from boxing in any state-run facility (edit- line about asking for an overturn of Tyson's being licensed in the state already) However, today Governor McGreevey announced he was gay and said he was resigning effective November 15."

http://www.fightnews.com







"In the sky. Lord, in the sky..."
Big Bad
Scrapple








Since: 4.1.02
From: Dorchester, Ontario

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.66
So does this mean that the NJ governorship is now open for Bruce Springsteen?



Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 2303 days
Last activity: 758 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
    Originally posted by Ticamo
    The reason for him coming out deals with his lover, who he met years back. Now this guy, Golan Cipel, was basically given a job in New Jersey's Homeland Security Office. Only problem was, he's not a US citizen and couldn't be cleared by INS for the job, he also lacked experience for the job. This was the front page of many local papers for weeks because the Gov. went far and above the call of duty to get this guy a job, fueling rumors. So anyway, amid the controversy, Cipel resigned.

    So, the lovers have a spat and Cipel decides to blackmail the Gov. and say that he'll tell everyone that the Gov's gay, unless he pays him to stay quiet. The Gov. cuts his losses, confesses his sexuality to his family and holds a press conference.
I did not hear that until this morning(the blackmail charge at least)so that makes sense. It does make a convenient political out for his other bribery charges.

    Originally posted by Big Bad
    So does this mean that the NJ governorship is now open for Bruce Springsteen?
Don't tempt him. He'd win in a landslide. Either him or Jon Bon Jovi...

(but if there's a vacancy, Who Better than Kanyon?)



jfkfc
3-time W of the Day!








Since: 9.2.02

Since last post: 476 days
Last activity: 285 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.87
    Originally posted by Ticamo
    The reason for him coming out deals with his lover, who he met years back. Now this guy, Golan Cipel, was basically given a job in New Jersey's Homeland Security Office. Only problem was, he's not a US citizen and couldn't be cleared by INS for the job, he also lacked experience for the job. This was the front page of many local papers for weeks because the Gov. went far and above the call of duty to get this guy a job, fueling rumors. So anyway, amid the controversy, Cipel resigned.
On the NY radio station I was listening to this morning, it was said that the person who got Cipel either into the country or the job that got him into the country was Charles Kushner (app.com). They were discussing the possibility that the announcement by the governor was made when it was because of how the case with Kushner is progressing, and what might come from that deal...



"I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise."
Rudoublesedoublel
Frankfurter








Since: 2.1.02
From: Kentucky - Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ Wildcats

Since last post: 65 days
Last activity: 49 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.00
What's the point behind a resignation effective November 15? I would think it best that he resign now and allow the Lieutenant Governor to take over (assuming that's what would happen). If he feels that he's not fit to govern in 3 months, why is he fit today?
Roy.
Pepperoni








Since: 25.2.04
From: Keystone State

Since last post: 3391 days
Last activity: 1861 days
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.76
    Originally posted by Rudoublesedoublel
    What's the point behind a resignation effective November 15? I would think it best that he resign now and allow the Lieutenant Governor to take over (assuming that's what would happen). If he feels that he's not fit to govern in 3 months, why is he fit today?


There is no Lt. Gov in Jersey. The president of the State Senate will take over as governor. Some are saying that McGreevey doesn't want to vacate the office before the election, because then maybe the Republicans could call for a brand new election.



Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects.
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 2303 days
Last activity: 758 days
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
Roy hit it. They would be required to hold a special election if he resigned before September 15th.

(Which is kinda stupid considering that their regular election is next year...)



PalpatineW
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 3864 days
Last activity: 3707 days
AIM:  
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
I had Hannity on in the car today for five minutes, as the guy I regularly listen to is out. He was claiming that McGreevey actually gave his lover (what does one call a male mistress?) a homeland security position, favoring him over ex-FBI director Louis Freeh.

I can't seem to find anything on Google; can any NJ readers enlighten me on the subject?



In Theo We Trust
AWArulz
Scrapple








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 3 hours
AIM:  
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.34
    Originally posted by PalpatineW
    I had Hannity on in the car today for five minutes, as the guy I regularly listen to is out. He was claiming that McGreevey actually gave his lover (what does one call a male mistress?) a homeland security position, favoring him over ex-FBI director Louis Freeh.

    I can't seem to find anything on Google; can any NJ readers enlighten me on the subject?


How about this?
http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/ny-usjers13q3927922aug13,0,500196.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines



Now, is it ok for me yell THEATRE! in a crowded fire?
fuelinjected
Banger








Since: 12.10.02
From: Canada

Since last post: 4296 days
Last activity: 4296 days
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.05
    Originally posted by PalpatineW
    (what does one call a male mistress?)


He-bitch? :)



Insensitive Funny Comment of the Week:
"You don't buy prostitutes ... They're human beings! You rent them!" Artie Lange
PalpatineW
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Getting Rowdy

Since last post: 3864 days
Last activity: 3707 days
AIM:  
#18 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.00
    Originally posted by DrOp
    A bold move to be sure and this can (and will) be spun in many ways.

    The sad part is that his sexuality puts more of a target on his back than his infidelity.




It's not a bold move. He was more or less blackmailed into it by his lover.

And what SHOULD be putting a bullseye on his back is the fact that he was (and for a few more months, will be) a shitty governor. The patronage and the granad jury investigations are more troubling to me than his personal problems/stupidity.

Not being gay or a public figure, I obviously don't know what life was like for Mr. McGreevey. But to lionize the man, to call his decisions "bold," is just too much. Could he not have been an openly-gay politician, like my own one-time rep. Barney Frank? A Google search will show you plenty of other openly gay politicians. Is his lack of courage on this matter an excuse for entering into a sham marriage (none of our business, really), or giving up political influence and blackmail material to his lover (definitely public business)? There's nothing bold about Jim McGreevey, but plenty sad.

On the off-chance that someone reads this days later: His poll numbers are apparently going up.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-mcgreevey-poll,0,6006878.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

(edited by PalpatineW on 15.8.04 1957)


In Theo We Trust
Thread rated: 5.29
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: CIA goes HOLLYWOOD!
Next thread: Unfit for Command?
Previous thread: And you thought "Smackdown Your Vote" was a bad slogan.
(1235 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
This is standard. 1/2 the GOP think the other half is completely insane, and 1/2 the GOP think the other half is going to burn in hell. They work together because they have to.
The W - Current Events & Politics - NJ Gov McGreevery Resigns Comes out of ClosetRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2017 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.232 seconds.