The W
Views: 97746217
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
28.7.14 0947
The W - Current Events & Politics - New Adventures in Political Pettiness
This thread has 1 referral leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.95
Pages: 1
(822 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (11 total)
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1182 days
Last activity: 979 days
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
Just when you thought things couldn't get more petty, they did...
    Originally posted by WCCO-TV/AP
    Even in death, Ronald Reagan can't catch a break in Minnesota.

    A resolution honoring the former Republican president's birthday caused partisan friction in the state Senate Thursday and passed only after it was retooled to mention the fact he never won Minnesota and tax increases that occurred under his watch.

    The Democratic-controlled Senate spent more than 30 minutes debating the Republican-offered resolution, which recognizes Reagan's Feb. 6 birthday. Reagan died in June of complications from Alzheimer's disease at age 93.

    Minnesota was the only state Reagan lost in 1984. It went for Democrat Walter Mondale, a native son.

    Democrats criticized the original resolution as ideologically skewed. It said, among other things, that Reagan "worked in a bipartisan manner to enact his bold agenda of restoring accountability and common sense to government which led to an unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity for millions of Americans."

    The revised version ends that sentence with "not paralleled until the Clinton presidency," a nod to the two-term Democratic president. Democrats also added lines about tax increases under Reagan and hold up his presidency as "a lesson to the current administration in the areas of bipartisanship, economic recovery, and the need for world support in foreign initiatives."
Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President? Doesn't Minnesota have real problems to address? Legislative bodies across the country pass a countless number of resolutions honoring scores of people with nary a nay every year. For the Democrats in Minnesota to go ahead and put political statements in a simple resolution(going out of their way to honor Clinton in the process) is simply petty, ridculous, shameful, etc...



Promote this thread!
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


From what I read, it wasn't a mere recognition of the birthday. A mere recognition of the birthday would be a resolution stating "Let's recognize Reagan's Feb. 6th birthday".

From your own quote, it appears that someone added in the following statement.

    Originally posted by WCCO-TV
    It said, among other things, that Reagan "worked in a bipartisan manner to enact his bold agenda of restoring accountability and common sense to government which led to an unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity for millions of Americans."


    Originally posted by Grimis
    For the Democrats in Minnesota to go ahead and put political statements in a simple resolution(going out of their way to honor Clinton in the process) is simply petty, ridculous, shameful, etc...


But for the Republicans to put political statements attributing glory to Reagan's presidency - that's completely appropriate, right?

(edited by Guru Zim on 4.2.05 1331)


Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1182 days
Last activity: 979 days
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
If it were me, and the resolution were honoring Clinton, or Jimmy Carter, was written by Democrats, and contained a number of platitudes of things done during their presidency, know what I would do?

I would vote for the damn thing to get it out of the way and move on to more important business.

The truth is, the Democrats in the Senate did this for the sake of being pricks. No other reason. Makes me wonder if they understand their responsibility as legislators.

And that applies for any legislator of ANY party who wastes time clogging up the legislative calendar with any resolution recognizing anybody of any party....



MoeGates
Andouille








Since: 6.1.02
From: Brooklyn, NY

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 13 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.14
    Originally posted by Grimis
    If it were me, and the resolution were honoring Clinton, or Jimmy Carter, was written by Democrats, and contained a number of platitudes of things done during their presidency, know what I would do?

    I would vote for the damn thing to get it out of the way and move on to more important business.

    The truth is, the Democrats in the Senate did this for the sake of being pricks. No other reason. Makes me wonder if they understand their responsibility as legislators.

    And that applies for any legislator of ANY party who wastes time clogging up the legislative calendar with any resolution recognizing anybody of any party....


So them why didn't you post about how the GOP wasted time clogging up the legislative calendar with this Reagan resolution? If it were the Dems and Clinton your post would have been "what an outrage by the Democrats" and then talk about how the Democrats have nothing better to do than propose meaningless resolutions honoring Bill Clinton and shouldn't they be hard at work trying to tackle REAL problems?

If you really want to try and pass as anything but a completely partisan hack, start a thread about something stupid the GOP does every once in a while. Or at least cop to the equal stupidity of both parties.

(edited by MoeGates on 4.2.05 1744)

Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe.
-
Euripides


Pool-Boy
Lap cheong








Since: 1.8.02
From: Huntington Beach, CA

Since last post: 1228 days
Last activity: 28 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.00
If Clinton were dead?

Naaa. You pass the resolution and move on. You don't amend resolutions like that to prop up or attack other, living politicians. It cheapens the intend.

On the other hand, the Republicans should have withdrawn the resolution the minute party mudslinging started, instead of pitching in. It cheapened the whole intent, and they are partly to blame for letting it happen.

Whether you liked his policies or not, you can't deny that Reagan accomplished a lot during his terms, and he is deserving of some tribute. Without using such a resolution to prop up either party.

    Originally posted by MoeGates
    So them why didn't you post about how the GOP wasted time clogging up the legislative calendar with this Reagan resolution?


A good point as well. I am sure there were much more pressing issues on the table, especially this long after Reagan's death...


(edited by Pool-Boy on 4.2.05 1500)

Still on the Shelf.com

Updated Weekly
policus
Loukanika








Since: 17.8.04

Since last post: 3352 days
Last activity: 3329 days
#6 Posted on
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


as Brett Hull said on SNL
    Originally posted by Hull
    Hull: Well, that's what happens in Canada when there's no hockey. Guys have more time to hang out, talk about their feelings. Next thing you know, they're in love with each other. I've got nothing against it, but I'd rather be playing hockey


in MN they quibble over unimportant legislation
Freeway
Scrapple








Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 218 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.68
    Originally posted by policus
      Originally posted by Grimis
      Don't the legislators in Minnesota have something better to quibble about and debate than a mere resolution recognizing the birthday of a recently passed former President?


    as Brett Hull said on SNL
      Originally posted by Hull
      Hull: Well, that's what happens in Canada when there's no hockey. Guys have more time to hang out, talk about their feelings. Next thing you know, they're in love with each other. I've got nothing against it, but I'd rather be playing hockey


    in MN they quibble over unimportant legislation


PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.



DVDs; Blog
~New Our Lady Peace album "Vampires" this March~
JayJayDean
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.94
    Originally posted by Freeway420
    PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.


I thought he was just saying (jokingly) if there was hockey to focus on these apparently bored legislators wouldn't have become a story.

(edited by JayJayDean on 4.2.05 1548)


To get ass, youve got to bring ass." -- Roy Jones Jr.

"Your input has been noted.
I hope you don't take it personally if I disregard it."
-- Guru Zim

"Speak English or face admin retribution." -- CRZ
Corajudo
Frankfurter








Since: 7.11.02
From: Dallas, TX

Since last post: 19 days
Last activity: 3 days
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.23
    Originally posted by JayJayDean
      Originally posted by Freeway420
      PLEASE don't compare recognizing Reagan's birthday to an insanely complex citizens' rights issue.


    I thought he was just saying (jokingly) if there was hockey to focus on these apparently bored legislators wouldn't have become a story.

    (edited by JayJayDean on 4.2.05 1548)


I had the same impression and would also like to add it was a damned funny post.
Freeway
Scrapple








Since: 3.1.02
From: Calgary

Since last post: 218 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.68
My bad...but combining a joke about the NHL and a joke about gay marriage, especially nowadays, is touchy.

Especially in bleeding-heart Liberal Canada.



DVDs; Blog
~New Our Lady Peace album "Vampires" this March~
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 8 hours
Last activity: 8 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.44
    Originally posted by Grimis
    Just when you thought things couldn't get more petty, they did...
Yep...this is definitely one of your pettier threads. Don't bother next time.



When it seems like the whole world is full of idiots,
maybe your standards are a bit high.
- Guru Zim
CRZ
Thread rated: 5.95
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: State of the Union Address
Next thread: Great news on the Stem Cell front
Previous thread: Great Day for Freedom
(822 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
The interstates are of course nice to get you to point A to point B quickly. But, I think it should a requirement for all Americans to take at least a 400 mile road trip on state or US routes. People miss so much solely traveling along I-states.
- Nag, 50 years ago today... (2006)
The W - Current Events & Politics - New Adventures in Political PettinessRegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.12 seconds.