The W
Views: 98999013
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
18.9.14 0700
The W - Video Games - Need help with old, obscure arcade games...
This thread has 71 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: 1(2747 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (17 total)
Mr Shh
Toulouse








Since: 9.1.02
From: Bergen County, NJ

Since last post: 20 days
Last activity: 20 days
#1 Posted on
I was reminiscing about going to the arcade as a kid, and there are three games that I remember playing a lot, but I can't remember their names for the life of me. I'll try to describe them as best I can. Maybe something will jog someone's memory...

1) The first one was kind of like Pitfall, except it takes place on top of a castle. The background was black (nighttime). You travel screen to screen getting by obstacles, on your way to rescue the princess (I think). One screen would have you jumping over guards, as they stood in one spot and thrust their lances upward to try and kill you. Another would have you try to catch a swinging rope (or chain or something) and swing across a pool of fire.

2) The second was kind of like Kung Fu, except it takes place in a castle. You were a knight armed with a sword, shield and suit or armor. Your object was to make your way up the floors of a castle. Each floor was a stage. You killed bats and guards and such as you made your way to the end of the floor, where the staircase to the next floor was guarded by a boss. You controlled you shield with the joystick (up and down to block). Your shield and armor took damage, and would disappear if it took enough (this was true of the bosses also).

3) This one is bothering me the most. It was a fighting game. You chose your opponent from the selection screen. You could fight your opponents in any order. Each opponent was named after the weapon he or she used. One was Club. That's all I remember for sure. I think another was Sword. Iím almost positive one was Nunchakus. Kind of like Mega Man, without the stages. Oh, and everybody was pretty small, too.
Promote this thread!
vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2998 days
Last activity: 212 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
    Originally posted by Mr Shh
    1) The first one was kind of like Pitfall, except it takes place on top of a castle. The background was black (nighttime). You travel screen to screen getting by obstacles, on your way to rescue the princess (I think). One screen would have you jumping over guards, as they stood in one spot and thrust their lances upward to try and kill you. Another would have you try to catch a swinging rope (or chain or something) and swing across a pool of fire.


Sounds like Hunchback. (Link w/screenshot)

    Originally posted by MrShh
    2) The second was kind of like Kung Fu, except it takes place in a castle. You were a knight armed with a sword, shield and suit or armor. Your object was to make your way up the floors of a castle. Each floor was a stage. You killed bats and guards and such as you made your way to the end of the floor, where the staircase to the next floor was guarded by a boss. You controlled you shield with the joystick (up and down to block). Your shield and armor took damage, and would disappear if it took enough (this was true of the bosses also).


Gladiator, by Taito. (Link w/screenshot)

    Originally posted by Mr Shh
    3) This one is bothering me the most. It was a fighting game. You chose your opponent from the selection screen. You could fight your opponents in any order. Each opponent was named after the weapon he or she used. One was Club. That's all I remember for sure. I think another was Sword. Iím almost positive one was Nunchakus. Kind of like Mega Man, without the stages. Oh, and everybody was pretty small, too.


Yie-Ar Kung Fu, by Konami. (However, you couldn't select an opponent. There was a prescribed order: Buchu, Star, Nuncha, Pole, Feedle, Chain, Club, Fan, Sword, Tonfun, Blues, then repeat.)

EDIT: Woohoo, picture!


(edited by vsp on 27.8.03 0749)

(edited by vsp on 27.8.03 0755)

"When WCW tries to be racy, it's generally about as light-heartedly entertaining as watching a man rape a woman in a chicken yard." -- Dark Cheetah
Alessandro
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Worcester MA

Since last post: 48 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.04
I have a couple ... With the first one, the only thing I can remember is that the title screen featured a guy standing next to a wooly mammoth with only one eye (not much info, I know). As for the second one, I SWEAR that it was almost exactly like "Larry the Looter" (from The Simpsons) except that this must have been several years before that episode was made.

Any help?





Alessandro "Hercules" Boondy



vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2998 days
Last activity: 212 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00

    Originally posted by Alessandro
    I have a couple ... With the first one, the only thing I can remember is that the title screen featured a guy standing next to a wooly mammoth with only one eye (not much info, I know).



Too easy. Space Harrier!




    As for the second one, I SWEAR that it was almost exactly like "Larry the Looter" (from The Simpsons) except that this must have been several years before that episode was made.


Never saw the episode, so I can't help here.



"When WCW tries to be racy, it's generally about as light-heartedly entertaining as watching a man rape a woman in a chicken yard." -- Dark Cheetah
Mr Shh
Toulouse








Since: 9.1.02
From: Bergen County, NJ

Since last post: 20 days
Last activity: 20 days
#5 Posted on
Damn, vsp, thanks. And double thanks for the pic. I remember that Blues (and Tonfun, too, I think) had question marks over their pictures so you didn't know what they looked like. I remember wondering what kind of weapon Blues used (since I wasn't good enough to actually make it to him) and now I see...nothing.
vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2998 days
Last activity: 212 days
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00

    Originally posted by Mr Shh
    Damn, vsp, thanks. And double thanks for the pic. I remember that Blues (and Tonfun, too, I think) had question marks over their pictures so you didn't know what they looked like. I remember wondering what kind of weapon Blues used (since I wasn't good enough to actually make it to him) and now I see...nothing.


Heh. Blues doesn't _need_ a weapon.

Not that I got a lot of practice against him, because Tonfun kicked my ass 99 times out of 100. Most of the earlier opponents had a weak spot or exploitable strategy (i.e. keep jumping over Nuncha, use low kicks against Pole, jump three fans and punch Fan, etc.), but if there was anything exploitable about Tonfun, I've never found it.





"When WCW tries to be racy, it's generally about as light-heartedly entertaining as watching a man rape a woman in a chicken yard." -- Dark Cheetah
Teppan-Yaki
Pepperoni








Since: 28.6.02

Since last post: 902 days
Last activity: 872 days
#7 Posted on
    Originally posted by Alessandro
    I have a couple ... With the first one, the only thing I can remember is that the title screen featured a guy standing next to a wooly mammoth with only one eye (not much info, I know). As for the second one, I SWEAR that it was almost exactly like "Larry the Looter" (from The Simpsons) except that this must have been several years before that episode was made.

    Any help?




Not Bagman, was it?
vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2998 days
Last activity: 212 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
Okay, I did a little research, and the best description of Larry the Looter I've found goes something like this: "Break into a store, grab all you can, and get out before the owner blasts you with a shotgun."

With that in mind, the first game that came to mind was (ironically enough) the Three Stooges game; you entered a room, grabbed hammers and smashed furniture, and got out before the cops busted in and came after you.

Anyone got more information as to how Larry looked or played?






"When WCW tries to be racy, it's generally about as light-heartedly entertaining as watching a man rape a woman in a chicken yard." -- Dark Cheetah
James F'n X
Bockwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 3051 days
Last activity: 3017 days
AIM:  
#9 Posted on
All this Yie Ar Kung Fu love is bringing a tear to my eye. I used to deposit dollars in handy quarter-sized portions into that game back in my youth. Fuck your 3D shit, fuckers.

James - Whipped Blues' ass on more than one occasion.




"Is this just your 40 favorites or is there some other criteria involved here? I feel like I'm looking at a list of the 40 best Uruguayan light-heavyweights compiled by the DVDVR boys." - JayJayDean to Feely
StampedeFan23
Morcilla








Since: 12.1.02
From: BC, Canada

Since last post: 2017 days
Last activity: 1553 days
#10 Posted on
The Larry the Looter game might be Jailbreak. I remember seeing Jailbreak and thinking of Larry the Looter right off.

Here's one for you I've been trying to track down. Scrolling shooter, moved up the screen like Xevious. Ship grabbed powerups that moved a track at the bottom of the screen to various powerups, which you then had to select. The better powerups were at the end of the track. The one I remember was about 2-3 in, gave you two side shooting rays that looked like crescent moons. Ring a bell with anyone?



Are you ready for Mahkan-mania to run wild all over you?

I mark for Molly Holly and Lance Storm.
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 22.4.02
From: Long Island

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on
The only thing I can think of is R-Type, StampedeFan. Not sure if that's right, though.



Today's Out-Of-Context Quote, Courtesy of hardygrrl:

"...between the grime layer and the Seventies game show host hair, I'd rather rim Undertaker after a White Castle/Schlitz bender."
Oliver
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: #YEG

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 6 hours
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#12 Posted on
    Originally posted by StampedeFan23
    The Larry the Looter game might be Jailbreak. I remember seeing Jailbreak and thinking of Larry the Looter right off.

    Here's one for you I've been trying to track down. Scrolling shooter, moved up the screen like Xevious. Ship grabbed powerups that moved a track at the bottom of the screen to various powerups, which you then had to select. The better powerups were at the end of the track. The one I remember was about 2-3 in, gave you two side shooting rays that looked like crescent moons. Ring a bell with anyone?
If it's a funny, anime shooter, it might be Parodius or something like that...



Steven & Faith...
Wedding day cometh
July 24th, 2004
Santa Sangre
Bockwurst








Since: 21.6.02
From: Germany

Since last post: 435 days
Last activity: 323 days
#13 Posted on
    Originally posted by StampedeFan23
    Here's one for you I've been trying to track down. Scrolling shooter, moved up the screen like Xevious. Ship grabbed powerups that moved a track at the bottom of the screen to various powerups, which you then had to select. The better powerups were at the end of the track. The one I remember was about 2-3 in, gave you two side shooting rays that looked like crescent moons. Ring a bell with anyone?


Could you be thinking of Gradius?

http://www.classicgaming.com/gradius/Grad7.jpg

(edited by Santa Sangre on 31.8.03 1349)


"Orton possesses all the cute, fit and goofily oblivious handsomeness that is expected of the Guests of Honor at NAMBLA conventions."

Thanks Jeb,Southpark similies are sweet!!
StampedeFan23
Morcilla








Since: 12.1.02
From: BC, Canada

Since last post: 2017 days
Last activity: 1553 days
#14 Posted on
Nope none of those. It's an upwards scroller like Xevious or 1942.



Are you ready for Mahkan-mania to run wild all over you?

I mark for Molly Holly and Lance Storm.
vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2998 days
Last activity: 212 days
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
    Originally posted by StampedeFan23
    Here's one for you I've been trying to track down. Scrolling shooter, moved up the screen like Xevious. Ship grabbed powerups that moved a track at the bottom of the screen to various powerups, which you then had to select. The better powerups were at the end of the track. The one I remember was about 2-3 in, gave you two side shooting rays that looked like crescent moons. Ring a bell with anyone?


First thought: Alcon (also known as Slap Fight outside the US).







"When WCW tries to be racy, it's generally about as light-heartedly entertaining as watching a man rape a woman in a chicken yard." -- Dark Cheetah
Alessandro
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Worcester MA

Since last post: 48 days
Last activity: 15 hours
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.04
Hmm, "Jailbreak" (from what little information I could find about it via Google) sounds like you control the policeman who has to stop the criminals ... This arcade game had it the other way around; the player controls the criminal as he attempts to steal items.

Of course, it's been so long since I've seen that game, the Simpsons episode might be "fooling" my memory into recalling certain details that never actually existed ... Still, I am almost positive that this mystery arcade title followed a similar "plotline" - you run around stealing stuff out of windows while avoiding the cops.

You might have had to jump across building rooftops and climb down fire escapes to avoid the police, but that could be wrong, too





Alessandro "Hercules" Boondy



StampedeFan23
Morcilla








Since: 12.1.02
From: BC, Canada

Since last post: 2017 days
Last activity: 1553 days
#17 Posted on
Alcon/Slapfight is the one! Thanks!



Are you ready for Mahkan-mania to run wild all over you?

I mark for Molly Holly and Lance Storm.
Pages: 1Thread ahead: SNES Super Scoop 6
Next thread: X-Box recommendations
Previous thread: Japanese PSone games on an American PS2?
(2747 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Woah, I remember this. If Sony continues to put out gems like this, maybe they'll get my money eventually. I had an original PS1 copy of Wild Arms and a few years ago I found it in a random box o' crap.
The W - Video Games - Need help with old, obscure arcade games...Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.26 seconds.