I really don't like fantasy booking, I don't think anybody does, but I'll get to that in a minute.
First off, Smackdown is the new No. 1 show in wrestling. Raw has it's history, yeah, but if you were Vince McMahon, which would you put more stock into; the show that can't be seen in some locals due to the fact that TNN isn't even carried in said areas, or the show that's on a network? Yeah, it is the UPN, but it's still free TV as opposed to cable.
But, that's pretty much evident with the way the programming has been, huh.
Well, here are a few things I'd do with Smackdown!.
1. Keep Big Show as Champ. Yeah, the big lug is just that, a big lug, but so was Andre. Get Show off this cowardly streak he has with Lesnar pronto. Show had the confidence before, and now with the mind of Heyman behind him, he should feel friggin' invincible. Make him dominate, sorta like how Lesnar was. Keep him in good feuds though, not just tossing him random opponents. Set something up with Edge, Benoit, Angle, or a certain showstopper, known as...
2. RVD. Get him on Thursday. On Raw, he just sort of lags with guys who can't really compete with his style. However, on Smackdown!, you'd get RVD vs. Edge, Mysterio, Benoit, Angle, even Cena. These are the matches that are the show stealers while you have Show killing everybody. In fact, Show needs some friends, so...
3. The Heyman Stable. The last Stable in the WWE were the UnAmericans, which is probably one of the most botched stables ever. You have a group of Canadians and one Englishman as a band of Anti-U.S. heels? Ugh. It's been said before somewhere, what happened to the good old days of people that speak different languages hating us? Anyway, build the Heyman Stable. That way, you have the effective mouth of Heyman, the Monster that is Show, a more clean cut singles worker, Benoit, and if only because I remember when Show and Benoit were with Shane and that was cool, and the Tag Team, and I'll take Los Guerreros, due to the fact that they're already over as heels and provide a rub, can work, and can talk.
4. Put Lesnar in a long ass Feud. I get the feeling that the WWE was trying to hold off on the long Lesnar feud so it could be with Angle. No. Lesnar needs to feud with somebody else, so when the innevitable Lesnar/Angle clash happens, it's built up, rather than blown up. A lot of WWE feuds (almost all of them, to be exact) are expanded and made huge within two PPV's, which really sucks in a Main Event sense. Rock/HHH was built up over a year, and when Rock finally beat HHH, it was awesome. People were marking out like mad. As such, set Lesnar up with a good heel, like the Benoit in Heyman's stable since he can't touch Show, and let them go at it for a few PPV's.
5. Put Torrie back with Kidman. Call me crazy, but Kidman could be an effective heel in the main event level, and giving him a hot POA wouldn't hurt. Matter of fact, most of the cruiserweights could be awesome main eventers. Hell, Angle and Benoit are technically Cruiserweights.
Comments, Questions, or the quintesential Bashing?
In the name of good taste, I will no longer say anything about people who run wrestling websites and cats.
As official smackdown recapper let me add my thoughts. Firstly, keeping Show as champ is not a bad idea, but the fact is at this point everyone KNOWS Lesnar can take him. They've built it to seem just that way. I think the better thing would be to get the strap on Lesnar and the very next night...start building towards Angle/Lesnar for WM. It's essentially the ONLY fresh match they've got. If they can work out a Hogan deal by Feb. and build to Hogan McMahon for Seattle, and get Rock in there with somebody we haven't seen him with for quite some time, like maybe a four way with Booker T, Triple H, and RVD for the World Title for the RAW show and then (and only then) can Wrestlemania be a hot show. With an undercard consisting of Benoit V.S. Guerrero (street fight), Chavo V.S. Rey V.S. Kidman (CW Title), and Edge V.S. Undertaker in a "Put Me Over" match WM would be awesome...But you said we all hate fantast booking so I digress.
In think RAW needs RVD badly enough that he can't move to SD. Besides, sometimes meshing styles makes for compelling TV.
I agree on the Heyman stable. But usually managers are for ppl who need them to be over, so put one good worker in there with Show, but not as good as Benoit, like heel Chavo after turning on Eddy, put a new tag-team from OVW in there, have Matt Hardy in and put Rikishi as the enforcer.
I agree with the long feud for Lesnar point but the question is who to do it with. Options are limited at this time considering roster issues. I can't think of anyone they can do this with outside of Triple H when he gets better, and of course, he's on another show and wouldn't job.
My best quotes from the NOV. 21 Smackdown Recap: -"a bath sponge is a King-Size bed to Rey Mysterio Jr" -"He stands on the apron for the west-coast-pop, a cool move with a very, very homosexual name." -"Through this felled wall we see Crash Holly lying on a table being orally pleasured by the trainer." -"Here comes Benoit! Crisp Benoit! Why do I call him Crisp? Because everything he does is CRISPY CRISP!" -"The shmuck in the Andre suit comes down. They hug. I find myself strangely aroused."
Originally posted by Hogan's My DadI agree with the long feud for Lesnar point but the question is who to do it with. Options are limited at this time considering roster issues. I can't think of anyone they can do this with outside of Triple H when he gets better, and of course, he's on another show and wouldn't job.
It's really gotta be with a heel whos either huge or technically brilliant. Assuming Angle and Benoit have issues of their own for the next while that really only leaves Big Show or Steiner depending on how he's used. Its basically a sound idea in principle for him to have a long feud now, but I'm pretty sure the next one we see after he gets the belt back is gonna be against angle
There was a lot of speculation on this board when the Austin walkout first happened that it was all a work. But I think the arrest debunked that. If it was, it's the best and most convincing work they've ever pulled. And the most out of the blue.