The W
Views: 100003456
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.10.14 1632
The W - Baseball - Milkman? More like the juice man (Page 2)
This thread has 19 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 6.19
Pages: Prev 1 2
(56 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (29 total)
spf
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Las Vegas of Canada

Since last post: 12 days
Last activity: 3 days
AIM:  
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.93
http://deadspin.com/​​5935999/​​melky-​​cabrera-​​cooked-​​up-​​a-​​phony-​​website-​​to-​​try-​​to-​​beat-​​his-​​suspension

    Originally posted by Deadspin
    The New York Daily News has discovered that in an effort to beat the rap on his 50-game suspension, Melky and his "associates" devised a scheme that included purchasing a website for $10,000, making this website appear to sell a fake product and pretending Melky purchased and used the product, unaware that it contained a banned substance. Ohh, this close.


    (edited by spf on 20.8.12 0411)

    (edited by spf on 20.8.12 0412)

    2007 and 2008 W-League Fantasy Football champion!
supersalvadoran
Landjager








Since: 10.1.08
From: westbury, new york

Since last post: 9 days
Last activity: 6 days
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.75
    Originally posted by Peter The Hegemon

    No, no, no--that's NOT my argument. I'm saying that if person A has a perfect average on 5 surveys, and person B has *4* of 10 good surveys, then person A is more deserving. I totally agree that quantity is important, and that a perfect average isn't enough if the person hasn't satisfied enough people. If someone hits 1.000 but only has 100 plate appearances, he shouldn't be eligible for the batting title even though that's actually pretty impressive. I'm talking about a situation where the person actually satisifed enough people to win. Do you see the difference?






I'm sorry, but that's a awful argument to make. If the number required isn't met, then it shouldn't count and the highest average should be accepted no matter what it is. By your standards, you're saying that it's OK to accept the batting leader if he made the 502 at-bats and batted .330 to lead the league but if they batted only .260 then they aren't worthy of the title and a guy that didn't play enough should get the title once phantom at-bats are factored in. Why? Why should the guy that made the requirements get punished for not having a great batting average if he still leads the league? It's not his fault that the rest of the league didn't hit well that season and the guy that did hit din't play enough to earn it on his own.

I get you are saying that 4/10 and 8/10 are a huge difference. But then what number is truly acceptable? You can't really put a number in this instance because many may say 5/10 is an acceptable, some may say 6/10, others may say 9/10. Same in baseball: many may say .300 is the acceptable to be considered, some may believe it's higher or smaller. But there should be no 'requirement' number for the average since that goes up and down very frequently. The only requirement should be for the appearances one makes during the season. If you don't play enough to qualify for the batting title, tough luck YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR THE BATTING TITLE.

Again, there shouldn't be gray areas like this. We shouldn't be getting answers like "not very far, and not much farther than is being done in this case." If baseball says 502 is the number, then 502 should be the *only* number.















TheBucsFan
TheChiefsFan








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 73 days
Last activity: 73 days
#23 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.56
    Originally posted by supersalvadoran
    If you don't play enough to qualify for the batting title, tough luck YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR THE BATTING TITLE.

    Again, there shouldn't be gray areas like this. We shouldn't be getting answers like "not very far, and not much farther than is being done in this case." If baseball says 502 is the number, then 502 should be the *only* number.


You need to read the rule. CRZ posted it earlier in the thread. The rule does not say you need 502 plate appearances to be eligible for the batting title. The rule says you need zero plate appearances, but if you have zero you get 502 hitless at-bats added to your total. Absolutely no rule anywhere in existence says players have to have 502 plate appearances to be eligible. Your argument is built on a false assumption.

You may not like the rule. Good for you. But you are arguing that this is some loophole to let players who aren't actually eligible sneak in and become eligible via a technicality. But it just isn't so. This hypothetical - Cabrera winning the batting title - is specifically and exactly what the rule is there to allow. There is no gray area, except in your ability to understand the rule.

(edited by TheBucsFan on 21.8.12 0751)
TheOldMan
Landjager








Since: 13.2.03
From: Chicago

Since last post: 116 days
Last activity: 1 day
#24 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.68
    Originally posted by deadspin via spf
    The New York Daily News has discovered that in an effort to beat the rap on his 50-game suspension, Melky and his "associates" devised a scheme that included purchasing a website for $10,000, making this website appear to sell a fake product and pretending Melky purchased and used the product, unaware that it contained a banned substance. Ohh, this close.


And here I was giving Cabrera credit for being the first PED-user in the history of doping scandals to cop to the deed, no qualifications, no tortured explanations, no excuses.

Credit revoked.


- - - - - - - - - - - -
UPDATE:

    Originally posted by Deadspin
    Team Cabrera actually purchased three existing Spanish-language sites that already sold health products, because investigators would have easily been able to expose a newly-created site. They stuck banner ads for the mysterious product, which contained nothing but a picture of a jar and a phone number in the Dominican Republic. MLB investigators called the number, and it led them to the Dominican Republic, where they actually purchased a jar of the stuff and sent it to the WADA lab for testing.

    How deep did this go? Was this a real product, or did they whip it up just for the charade? Was the person MLB purchased it from in on the scheme? Is there even really a Dominican Republic? We eagerly await the next plot twist—even as a source says baseball hasn't ruled out further punishment for Cabrera.


CONTRACT YEAR, BIATCHES!!

These "associates" of Melky's agent are about as clever as Gordon Liddy's Watergate 'plumbers'.



Peter The Hegemon
Lap cheong








Since: 11.2.03
From: Hackettstown, NJ

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 14 hours
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.58
    Originally posted by supersalvadoran
      Originally posted by Peter The Hegemon

      No, no, no--that's NOT my argument. I'm saying that if person A has a perfect average on 5 surveys, and person B has *4* of 10 good surveys, then person A is more deserving. I totally agree that quantity is important, and that a perfect average isn't enough if the person hasn't satisfied enough people. If someone hits 1.000 but only has 100 plate appearances, he shouldn't be eligible for the batting title even though that's actually pretty impressive. I'm talking about a situation where the person actually satisifed enough people to win. Do you see the difference?






    I'm sorry, but that's a awful argument to make. If the number required isn't met, then it shouldn't count and the highest average should be accepted no matter what it is.


WHY?

    Originally posted by supersalvadoran
    By your standards, you're saying that it's OK to accept the batting leader if he made the 502 at-bats and batted .330 to lead the league but if they batted only .260 then they aren't worthy of the title and a guy that didn't play enough should get the title once phantom at-bats are factored in. Why? Why should the guy that made the requirements get punished for not having a great batting average if he still leads the league?


Why should a guy get punished for not having a good batting average by not winning the award for best batting average? Wow, that's a real head-scratcher! But I think maybe there might be some reason for that.

Again: Why is it better to get 100 hits in 502 plate appearances than to get 150 hits in 501 plate appearances? Why, to go back to your previous analogy, is a guy who gets 10 responses and has four of them favorable more valuable to a company than a guy who gets 5 responses, all of them favorable?

And, as TheBucsFan says, you seem to be suggesting that the rule says that if you don't get 502 plate appearances, you don't qualify, but the rule has always had this exception in it.
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 15 hours
Last activity: 32 min.
AIM:  
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 9.49
The AB requirement is to keep people from getting in with too few at bats; they made a cut-off point and said that any below 502 would be judged against 502, to keep it fair.

That's what we are talking about here. The guy has X hits in Y plate appearances, and Y is less than 502, so you take X/502 and that's his average they consider for the award.

Everyone knows the rules and that's how it works. It's completely fair. It's also arbitrary in that they decided to do it this way, and that's why the rule was made - but it was set well in advance, everyone knows, and the application of the arbitrary rule is being done fairly.

If they want to disqualify people for PEDs, they need to state that they are ineligible for awards if they test positive, or whatever arbitrary rule they want to dictate (it's their game!). The union will have a chance to weigh in and then it will happen or not.

I don't get why people are fired up about this rule. Getting 200 hits in a season is impressive, and it's even more impressive if you do it in 500 games instead of 600. (I know he's not batting .400)

I'd personally rather see a guy batting .400 who is 2 short of the batting requirement get the hitting for average title than someone who hit for .333 with 600 at bats and the same number of hits.

Honestly, this rule is the great kind of compromise that makes me happy about gray areas.

(edited by Guru Zim on 23.8.12 1250)



Sign up for Folding@Home and join our team. PM me for details.

Ignorance is bliss for you, hell for me.
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#27 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.23
    Originally posted by Guru Zim

    I don't get why people are fired up about this rule.


No one would have cared if he wasn't suspended for PEDs. He would be able to have his PAs and get past 502.

If he was injured for the rest of the season, people would be talking about his great year and how people will have to hustle to beat his average.

Because it is PEDs, people are upset that a cheater will get the title. He WILL be rewarded for his cheating. It sends a bad message. Nothing in the rules is stopping it (unless the commish steps in), but it is still crappy that a caught cheater will be rewarded for his cheating and attempted cover up.



-- 2006 Time magazine Person of the Year --
FuellyFuelly
-- July 2009 Ordained Reverend --
It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 1 day
#28 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.55
You know, between Melky in San Francisco and Bartolo Colon in Oakland, how sure are we that there aren't still BALCO guys floating around in the Bay Area clubhouses?




"Release the BOGUS!"
hansen9j
Andouille








Since: 7.11.02
From: Riderville, SK

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 2 hours
#29 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.59
    Originally posted by It's False
    You know, between Melky in San Francisco and Bartolo Colon in Oakland, how sure are we that there aren't still BALCO guys floating around in the Bay Area clubhouses?
Pretty sure, since they each also had shockingly good years last season playing in other cities.



The Big Bossman raised the briefcase.

Go Pack Go! Owner of one (1) share.
Let's Go Riders! Owner of one (1) share. (3-4, T-3 West Division.)
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 6.19
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: 2012 MLB Playoff Standings with 5 weeks left
Next thread: Red Sox to Clean House?
Previous thread: 2012 MLB Playoff Standings with 6 weeks left
(56 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
It looks really cool, and I've wanted to try one for a while. Unfortunately, they cost money, and I'm cheap so I haven't done one yet. Anyone know of anything similar that's free (I know, I'm quite lame)?
- BigSteve, Whatifsports.com (2005)
Related threads: Cain throws perfect game - Giants About To Get Carlos Beltran - Oddities during Giants/Tigers game - More...
The W - Baseball - Milkman? More like the juice man (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.091 seconds.