The W
Views: 100011063
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.10.14 2031
The W - Movies & TV - Marvel's The Avengers (Page 3)
This thread has 77 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.93
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
(893 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (126 total)
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 4 days
#41 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.63
Thor was the only movie of all the prequels I didn't see, but after this, I'll have to check it out.
Great flick. Every character was an equal, no one "star" of the movie as far as the good guys go.
I did like the callback from Banner about tearing Harlem down. I didn't think they'd reference any of the previous Hulk movies, as they were both a bit off from what Marvel was doing with this group of heroes.

Loved the big battle scenes at the end, and the way it just kept building.

Nick Fury was a great character and Samuel L was subtle when he needed to be.
And forget about Black Widow, because Cobie Smulders in the body suit was more enjoyable eye candy for me.

I just didn't see a single thing wrong with this flick.



YOUR 2012 NCCA Tournament Bracket Challenge Winner
theremin
Head cheese








Since: 31.1.12

Since last post: 151 days
Last activity: 34 days
#42 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.13
You could probably not miss anything "inside" by not seeing the prequels, but most of them are great and well worth seeing.

One thing I would suggest is seeing them out of order. I would put captain american first, or at least before hulk. They reference the super serum in hulk when you haven't seen cap yet, kind of silly.

Although, my gf hadn't seen the hulk movies, we watched them again last week. You really aren't missing much skipping them all together.
John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 118 days
Last activity: 118 days
#43 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.15
There seems to be a little bit of confusion about what constitutes a Marvel movie and why some heroes are in The Avengers and some aren't. Someone mentioned where the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were when aliens invaded New York. Or the continuity of the Hulk movies.

In a nutshell:

Marvel Studios/Disney put out:

Iron Man and Iron Man 2
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton)
Captain America: The First Avenger

So the heroes of those movies, plus Black Widow and Hawkeye, are able to be in The Avengers, which is also a Marvel Studios movie. They are part of the "shared" Marvel Movie Universe of those characters and whomever else isn't licensed to another studio already.

The other major superheroes are licensed Marvel characters, so you see the Marvel logo at the start of the credits, but other studios own the rights.

Sony owns Spider-Man (I believe they also owned the Ang Lee, Eric Bana Hulk movie), and I think they own Ghost Rider
FOX owns The Fantastic Four, Daredevil and X-Men, including Wolverine

In their respective universes, the other superheroes don't exist. FOX could do what Marvel Studios is doing and create a shared universe for the FF, X-Men and Daredevil, but they don't.

As for the Hulk, since Marvel Studios did the Edward Norton Hulk, Mark Ruffalo's Hulk in Avengers is the same character. The Ang Lee/Eric Bana Hulk "never happened" according to Marvel Studios continuity.



@CMPunk
“@ZackRyder: @CMPunk She played me bro” I got your back.
jwrestle
Lap cheong








Since: 4.4.03
From: Nitro WV

Since last post: 169 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#44 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.93
    Originally posted by dMp
    Saw it for the second time today, and I enjoyed Ruffalo a lot more this time as I now knew why he played Banner so different (almost calm and serene) than Norton (neurotic, afraid to hulk out) .... I mean, he definitely grew on me as the movie progressed the first time.
    But now I could enjoy his character from the get go.



Yes, I'm a ridiculous Incredible Hulk fan. I was worried myself but can agree with this. Also so saw it twice too. My only added note is that I believe this was the direction they might have foreshadowed at the end of the Hulk (Norton) movie by him triggering the changing through controlled yoga. Which may have been some of he jabs interjected into the film which were the Tony Stark lines. I also found the Bannner a more complete character in this zen like personality.

    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    As for the Hulk, since Marvel Studios did the Edward Norton Hulk, Mark Ruffalo's Hulk in Avengers is the same character. The Ang Lee/Eric Bana Hulk "never happened" according to Marvel Studios continuity.


Exactly, one dimensional Ang Lee thing did fly right. It was necessary to reboot.




Goto http://facebook.com/indynet
Also: http://youtube.com/indywrestlersdotnet
***New Items added daily and weekly***

09.30.08 1st time W of the day. ( WTF the day I joined Twitter
)
24.05.09 2nd time W of the day.
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 51 min.
#45 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.24
Banner does reference he was in Guatalopa where they started the reboot. You also see him wrecking the college in the video Stark has. I was surprised how tight they made everything this from the other movies. A lot of insider stuff for those who saw all the films. Joss also packed some of his own people with the Waitress and the cop from Dollhouse. And a Buffy and Angel vet as the creepy alien. Also nice to see a Zodiac reunion with RDJ and Ruffalo. Ruffalo played the disheveled, nothing fits right and ready to go off at any moment Banner very well. I like Norton, but he was too leading man for Banner.

After making $200 million in 3 days plus whatever ridiculous money they made overseas last week. I think you will be seeing Marvel Studios and Disney taking back some of those licensing. Considering First Class was a disappointment financially and Amazing Spiderman has the stench of too soon to reboot. Hulk needed a reboot, because it was a disaster critically and financially. I would love to see a Marvel Knights film with Daredevil, Spidey, Punisher and Black Widow.



The Wee Baby Sheamus.Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
dMr
Andouille








Since: 2.11.02
From: Edinburgh, Scotland

Since last post: 46 days
Last activity: 2 days
#46 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.59
Loved this movie. Absolutely loved it. It might not be a groundbreaking cinematic masterpiece but it's precisely what you want from a blockbuster superhero movie.

Great balance of action and comedy and all the characters are given ample opportunity to shine. Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki. In one breath sinister and sadistic, in the next petulant and bratty. The Hulk and Captain America - neither of whom I cared for in their own movies - were also excellent.

    Originally posted by Tenken347
    Yeah, no kidding. I also should have seen that one coming, and it's the one "Whedon moment" that actually pulled me out of the film for a minute. I felt it was kind of a baffling choice that wasn't really necessary, either.


Really? I thought it was totally necessary.


Spoiler Below: Highlight text to read
He was the one character all of the heroes had at least some affinity towards and his death gave them a reason to unite and work as a team having seen the consequences of their internal bickering.

It also sent the message that anyone (or at least anyone who didn't have their own standalone movie franchise) could be for the chop, and it provided a nice emotional change-up in between the two Big Kick Ass Action sequences at the end of the movie.

They could've totally let him live but I think the movie would've been a bit poorer if they had.
samoflange
Lap cheong








Since: 22.2.04
From: Cambridge, MA

Since last post: 373 days
Last activity: 365 days
#47 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.94
Great movie. Easily the best comic book movie to date. The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 were a masterpieces in their own rights, but The Avengers perfectly captured the feel and pacing of the modern day superhero comic book.

Banner and Hulk stole the show for me. The sucker punch to Thor and the smashing of Loki got the biggest crowd reactions in my theater.

I hope Marvel Studios keeps up the good work and this franchise gets bigger and bigger.
dMp
Banger








Since: 4.1.02
From: The Hague, Netherlands (Europe)

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 4 hours
#48 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.88
[quote jwrestle My only added note is that I believe this was the direction they might have foreshadowed at the end of the Hulk (Norton) movie by him triggering the changing through controlled yoga. Which may have been some of he jabs interjected into the film which were the Tony Stark lines. I also found the Bannner a more complete character in this zen like personality.



Yeah, you are right. That's what a friend of mine discussed after seeing it the first time. That he learns to control it at the end of the Incredible Hulk. Which is very cool. As I sort of assume this also allows him to be in control a bit more.

Also, I am now hoping we get a Banner cameo in Iron Man 3.
Tony was a huge fan of his work (while he joked about the monster, he did point out that he'd love to show his labs to Bruce) and you saw them drive off together in the convertible.

Oh. And I chuckled when Black Widow said that she started espionage as a young girl, and I turned to my friend and said "They can totally use that line to introduce the Winter Soldier" He rolled his eyes at me....




Avatar Mud
Tenken347
Boudin blanc








Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 21 hours
Last activity: 7 hours
#49 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.13
    Originally posted by dMr
    Loved this movie. Absolutely loved it. It might not be a groundbreaking cinematic masterpiece but it's precisely what you want from a blockbuster superhero movie.

    Great balance of action and comedy and all the characters are given ample opportunity to shine. Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki. In one breath sinister and sadistic, in the next petulant and bratty. The Hulk and Captain America - neither of whom I cared for in their own movies - were also excellent.

      Originally posted by Tenken347
      Yeah, no kidding. I also should have seen that one coming, and it's the one "Whedon moment" that actually pulled me out of the film for a minute. I felt it was kind of a baffling choice that wasn't really necessary, either.


    Really? I thought it was totally necessary.


    Spoiler Below: Highlight text to read
    He was the one character all of the heroes had at least some affinity towards and his death gave them a reason to unite and work as a team having seen the consequences of their internal bickering.

    It also sent the message that anyone (or at least anyone who didn't have their own standalone movie franchise) could be for the chop, and it provided a nice emotional change-up in between the two Big Kick Ass Action sequences at the end of the movie.

    They could've totally let him live but I think the movie would've been a bit poorer if they had.




Spoiler Below: Highlight text to read
I'm not saying they killed Coulson for no reason, but I think they could have gotten to the exact same place in the movie without doing it. The stakes were already high; they didn't need to also make them personal to get the team together. In fact, even if you wanted to make it a personal issue for them, the fact that Loki wound them up and ran them in circles would have been enough on its own. I think the choice to kill the character potentially weakened future movies and took away an otherwise beloved character, so killing him is not a move I would have gone for. Furthermore, they just introduced him in the comics and he has a major role on Ultimate Spider-Man, so the decision is also kind of baffling on that front.
samoflange
Lap cheong








Since: 22.2.04
From: Cambridge, MA

Since last post: 373 days
Last activity: 365 days
#50 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.94

Spoiler Below: Highlight text to read
I liked the death. He was the agent who we first started seeing in the Marvel movies and he was instrumental in bringing the Avengers all together. His work was finished, and his death was the catalyst to REALLY bring them together. It was a nice bit of symmetry.
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 51 min.
#51 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.24
    Originally posted by samoflange

    Spoiler Below: Highlight text to read
    I liked the death. He was the agent who we first started seeing in the Marvel movies and he was instrumental in bringing the Avengers all together. His work was finished, and his death was the catalyst to REALLY bring them together. It was a nice bit of symmetry.



Agreed. It needed to happen. There is also no need to worry about what they do in the comics from this point on. Whenever a big movie comes out the comics make changes to fit for new readers. Yet, the movies tend to borrow from the comics as well. Its a weird circle of creative life.



The Wee Baby Sheamus.Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
Mayhem
Scrapple








Since: 25.4.03
From: Nashville, TN

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#52 Posted on

I'll sum it up with one sentence ...

This movie made me want to go home & play with my son's Marvel action figures.
dwaters
Lap cheong








Since: 16.10.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 11 hours
#53 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.25
    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    There seems to be a little bit of confusion about what constitutes a Marvel movie and why some heroes are in The Avengers and some aren't. Someone mentioned where the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were when aliens invaded New York.


It was more of a jokey observation than a legit question, but thanks for the explanation of who owns what.

John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 118 days
Last activity: 118 days
#54 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.15
I think one thing The Avengers established concretely is that Marvel's plan of superheroes inhabiting a shared movie universe and laboring four years towards a movie super team up was an idea whose time had come and people absolutely wanted. People clearly want to see superheroes in movies together, instead of separate movie universes and continuities.

It's funny because Warner Brothers and DC had two aborted attempts at this that they totally blew it on: A Superman and Batman team up movie by Wolfgang Peterson that was scrapped in favor of Batman Begins and later Superman Returns, and then George Miller's Justice League movie that was cast but fell apart in preproduction.

Given the helicarrier of cash The Avengers has made in a week, insanity would be Warners and DC not meeting to figure out how to get Man of Steel integrated with whomever will take over Batman from Christopher Nolan, and also finally coming up with a plan to get Wonder Woman and Flash's movies off the ground to build towards a Justice League movie. And even that would be many, many years off.

Also, after the bean counting this weekend, Joss "My TV series get canceled and my movie career was stalled" Whedon is now the 800 lb gorilla of Hollywood. No one has more clout on this particular day. Why, if Joss wanted to use his newfound "I JUST DIRECTED BIGGEST OPENING BOX OFFICE OF ALL TIME!" cache to strong arming control over a Buffy movie back so he could make it himself, I bet he could now.

(edited by John Orquiola on 7.5.12 1335)

@CMPunk
“@ZackRyder: @CMPunk She played me bro” I got your back.
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 51 min.
#55 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.24
    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    I think one thing The Avengers established concretely is that Marvel's plan of superheroes inhabiting a shared movie universe and laboring four years towards a movie super team up was an idea whose time had come and people absolutely wanted. People clearly want to see superheroes in movies together, instead of separate movie universes and continuities.

    It's funny because Warner Brothers and DC had two aborted attempts at this that they totally blew it on: A Superman and Batman team up movie by Wolfgang Peterson that was scrapped in favor of Batman Begins and later Superman Returns, and then George Miller's Justice League movie that was cast but fell apart in preproduction.

    Given the helicarrier of cash The Avengers has made in a week, insanity would be Warners and DC not meeting to figure out how to get Man of Steel integrated with whomever will take over Batman from Christopher Nolan, and also finally coming up with a plan to get Wonder Woman and Flash's movies off the ground to build towards a Justice League movie. And even that would be many, many years off.




If Man of Steel which Nolan has a hand has the same feels as Dark Knight then yes, they could do it. However, I can't see getting Flash off the ground. Green Lantern failed on a lot of levels and that is a guy who has a far richer backstory than random guy gets hit by lightening while holding a beaker of chemicals and fights really lame villains. Minus of course Reserve Flash. If they give Nolan a shit ton of money as well as Bale they might be able to pull off Superman/Batman with Wonder Woman in the middle. The villain has to be pretty damn good too. If Joss couldn't get Wonder Woman green-lighted then its doomed. They have to do what they did with Widow and Hawkeye which is cameo her in one of the films. If there is a Man of Steel 2 then that is where we will see her.

The one thing that Marvel did right by these films is they all film like they are in the exact some universe. There is a lot of brightness in Thor, Hulk, Iron Man and certain parts of Captain America. There are a lot of daylight scenes which sets the mood of the universe. JLA has have to have that dark tone that Batman has for it to work.

If Buffy is like the comics, I say let it alone. Also nice of him to add the end of Chosen to start Avengers.

(edited by lotjx on 7.5.12 1543)

(edited by lotjx on 7.5.12 1544)

The Wee Baby Sheamus.Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
samoflange
Lap cheong








Since: 22.2.04
From: Cambridge, MA

Since last post: 373 days
Last activity: 365 days
#56 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.94
I don't see much promise in a Flash solo movie. Super-speed isn't a dynamic enough power for an entire film's worth of action scenes. Good character for the comic fans, but to the general movie-going public the Flash should be introduced as a team player first. And I'd rather see a Superman/Batman movie and a Flash/Green Lantern movie than the whole Justice League anyway.

My dream team-up movie would be Spider-Man/Wolverine. It would have to play up the jokey kid and cranky veteran dynamic they had in New Avengers. I think that would work perfectly with the current Marvel formula of strong personalities, snappy one-liners, and big action sequences.

(edited by samoflange on 7.5.12 1647)
Spiraling_Shape
Bratwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: PA

Since last post: 3 hours
Last activity: 3 hours
#57 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.40
    Originally posted by John Orquiola
    I think one thing The Avengers established concretely is that Marvel's plan of superheroes inhabiting a shared movie universe and laboring four years towards a movie super team up was an idea whose time had come and people absolutely wanted. People clearly want to see superheroes in movies together, instead of separate movie universes and continuities.


I heard an interview with Mark Ruffalo last week saying that any reports of him signing a 6-picture deal to be the Hulk would also include appearances in the other guys' movies too, I guess a la the Hawkeye cameo in Thor, or ScarJo in Iron Man 2. But I think at this point there's no reason they couldn't just do a Thor & Hulk team-up movie, for example, instead of maybe Thor 3.



"Ice cream bars! Ice cream bars!" - RAW crowd, Boston, 7/11/11
dwaters
Lap cheong








Since: 16.10.02
From: Connecticut

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 11 hours
#58 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.25
After this, are audiences going to care about seeing these guys solo in their own movies now that they've teamed up?
drjayphd
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 22.4.02
From: Long Island

Since last post: 33 days
Last activity: 3 days
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#59 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.38
    Originally posted by dwaters
    After this, are audiences going to care about seeing these guys solo in their own movies now that they've teamed up?


I think they're going to go all shutupandtakemymoney.jpg on anything involving any permutation of the Avengers. Iron Man and Hulk, for one, could probably break all the banks in a 300-mile radius.

(edited by drjayphd on 7.5.12 1743)




You wanted the best, you got... the Out of Context Quote of the Week.

"£8.70 for a measly 16 out of your average fag machine." (dMr)

CruelAngel777
Frankfurter








Since: 7.4.02

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#60 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.70
    Originally posted by dwaters
    After this, are audiences going to care about seeing these guys solo in their own movies now that they've teamed up?


If anything expect sales on the prequels to get a boost, as Netflix's top ten watched features this week involve Marvel or the Avengers.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Thread rated: 4.93
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Thread ahead: First look at the Iron Man 3 villain
Next thread: Mad Men 'The Other Woman'
Previous thread: "Les Miserables" trailer
(893 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
If FFing through commercials ever becomes THAT common, it will just lead to more ads during the actual programs. You'd see a return to named sponsors for programs, which is already happening a little bit, and onscreen ad bugs.
- Peter The Hegemon, Fast forwarding through ads (2005)
Related threads: The Japanese Avengers Trailer is chock full of AWESOME - The Avengers new trailer - The Avengers first teaser trailer - More...
The W - Movies & TV - Marvel's The Avengers (Page 3)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.209 seconds.