Thanks to tsn.ca, here are the first round of the playoffs:
EASTERN CONFERENCE (1) Montreal vs (8) Boston Start Date TBA
- Of all the teams to face, should we be happy to face Boston? As much as I like how much we've beat them (a lot), they need to win sooner or later. Also, our awesomely awesome (of awesomeness) power play won't be as useful in the playoffs, due to less calls. That said, we're clicking at the right time, have a young goalie whose used to pressure situations, with a coach (and GM) who know a thing or two about the playoffs. I'll say Habs win this round as the Drive for 25 starts NOW.
(2) Pittsburgh vs (7) Ottawa Start Date TBA
- I want Ottawa to win so I can grab tickets to a Habs/Sens match up, but the Pens (much like Montreal) are going into the playoffs with momentum. A young team who got some experince last year, I think they'll make a good run, assuming their goalies perform. Of course, Ottawa has their own goalie problems as well.
(3) Washington vs (6) Philadelphia Start Date TBA
- All I know is Huet is still playing lights out. And Washington has one player who seems like he could be a player who takes over games by hismelf. I'll take the Caps.
(4) New Jersey vs (5) NY Rangers Start Date TBA
- Should be a close series. As much as I like Broduer, this is Henrick's chance to make a name for himself. I'll say Rangers for this round.
WESTERN CONFERENCE (1) Detroit vs (8) Nashville Start Date TBA
(2) San Jose vs (7) Calgary Start Date TBA
(3) Minnesota vs (6) Colorado Start Date TBA
(4) Anaheim vs (5) Dallas Start Date TBA
Yes, I finally have updated the Troll Moment of the Week! This week is brought to you by ;
"STONEBOY!" , who brought us the following such pieces of wisdom as:
STONEBOY!: "THIS GOES MESSAGE GOES OUT TO ALL CANADIANS ESPECIALLY MONTREAL WHEREVER THE F#CK THAT IS".
Kidbrooklyn: "Please god tell me that you're making fun of the douche who started this thread...
Wait, no he isn't. He's serious. I hadn't read his previous brilliance before. I apologize" (in reference to a reply by James1978).
Habs over Bruins Pens over Sens Caps over Flyers Devils over Rangers
Wings over Preds Flames over Sharks Wild over Avs Ducks over Stars
“How is it that I am a good actor? What I do is I... pretend to be the person I’m portraying. You’re confused. Case in point: in Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson comes to me and says ‘I would like you to be Gandalf the Wizard,’ and I said ‘You are aware that I am not really a wizard?’ and Peter Jackson said ‘I would like you to use your acting skills to portray a wizard for the duration of the show.’ So I said ‘Okay’ and then I said to myself ‘Mmm.. How do I do that?’ And this is what I did: I imagined that I was a wizard, and then I pretended, and acted, in that way on the stage. How did I know what to say? The words were written down for me in a script. How did I know where to stand? People told me where to stand." -- Sir Ian McKellen, Extras
Red Wings over Predators - some injuries to the Wings, but I can't imagine they'll have much trouble from Nashville, who no one expected to even be close to the playoffs this year.
Flames over Sharks - no prognosticator (not even Maggie the Monkey) is picking the Flames, but Aisling Slattery, who is on Breakfast Television here in Calgary, picked the Flames in 4, and she's pretty, so I'll go with her.
Avalanche over Wild - should be a good series, but I think the offensive firepower of the Avalanche will be too much.
Ducks over Stars - Oh, yeah.
Canadiens over Bruins - Les Canadiens are just fun to watch play these days.
Penguins over Senators - I think the Senators will do better than most people expect, and may even upset the Penguins here, but the smart choice is the Penguins.
Capitals over Flyers - This should be another fun series to watch-Ovechkin, Richards, etc. Hopefully the Flyers will keep the goonery down.
Rangers over Devils - I don't really have a good sense for either of these teams, I'm just a big Brendan Shanahan fan.
Eastern Conference: 1. Montreal Canadiens vs 8. Boston Bruins -- habs in 5 2. Pittsburgh Penguins vs 7. Ottawa Senators -- pens in 5 3. Washington Capitals vs 6. Philadelphia Flyers -- flyers in 6 (sadly) 4. New Jersey Devils vs 5. New York Rangers --Rangers in 6
Western Conference: 1. Detroit Red Wings vs 8. Nashville Predators -- wings in 6 2. San Jose Sharks vs 7. Calgary Flames -- sharks in 7 3. Minnesota Wild vs 6. Colorado Avalanche -- wild in 6 4. Anaheim Ducks vs 5. Dallas Stars -- stars in 6
Originally posted by odessasteps The (soon to be) MVP came in big tonight for the Caps.
Go Ovie Go
If you want to get a little nitpicky though, that probably should have only been the tying goal, for this reason (and an unfortunate joke that must be made):
Just how intense are the NHL playoffs? They may cost a Flyers winger one of his testicles (tsn.ca)
Right before Washington scored to tie it at 4, Patrick Thoresen went down and blocked a shot in a rather uncomfortable place. Listening to the highlight, I'm farily sure that if he was wearing a cup, it was destroyed. He went down to block the shot, and for obvious reasons, stayed down afterward, and the play probably should have been blown dead, he was in no position to defend himself with the play happening around him. My guess is, he's not exactly a happy camper at this point:
"He's going to the hospital to get an ultrasound done on his testicles. It's bad enough they may have to remove one," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "Right now, we're not sure how serious it is, but there's a chance he may need surgery."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/-lsquo-PC-Load-Letter-rsquo-Tallon-rsquo-s-sna?urn=nhl,174746 The gist of the story is the GM mailed out qualifying offers to several of their restricted free agents.