The W
Views: 100808621
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.11.14 1225
The W - Movies & TV - Is Conan going to be replaced ALREADY? (Page 11)
This thread has 97 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.19
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
(2175 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (273 total)
AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#201 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.63
so, no Jay tonight. Was that announced?



We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.

That the universe was formed by a fortuitous concourse of atoms, I will no more believe than that the accidental jumbling of the alphabet would fall into a most ingenious treatise of philosophy - Swift

emma
Cherries > Peaches








Since: 1.8.02
From: Phoenix-ish

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 8 hours
#202 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.43
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    so, no Jay tonight. Was that announced?
TiVo didn't know about it til after it happened.
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple








Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 483 days
Last activity: 444 days
#203 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.39
(deleted by Mr. Boffo on 22.1.10 2241)
AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#204 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.63
some of you music guys help a brother - that's like dusty from ZZtop, right? Who are the other guys - they all look familiar - I know it is is Max on drums, beyond that, I am clueless.



We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.

That the universe was formed by a fortuitous concourse of atoms, I will no more believe than that the accidental jumbling of the alphabet would fall into a most ingenious treatise of philosophy - Swift

JST
Toulouse








Since: 20.1.02
From: Quebec City, CAN

Since last post: 83 days
Last activity: 1 hour
#205 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.39
I spotted Beck on guitars and Ben Harper on the... twangy-thing. (name?)

Now THAT is how you close out a show. Coco must've told himself if he was gonna go out, he's gonna go out BIG and have the time of his life doing it.



My side is the side of love, peace and submachine guns.
DrewDewce
Bratwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Derby City

Since last post: 50 days
Last activity: 1 day
Y!:
#206 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.76
Beck was also on Guitar. Didn't recognize anyone else outside of Max Weinberg and the Tonight Show Band (and Will Ferrell of course). Great show, great man, can't wait until our entertainment paths cross again.



"You are going to get a certain amount of snarkiness on the Internet no matter what, and my rule is that you don't post anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face."
Marc Andreyko (Writer of DC Comic's "Manhunter")
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 14 hours
Last activity: 39 min.
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#207 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.98
    Originally posted by AWArulz
    some of you music guys help a brother - that's like dusty from ZZtop, right? Who are the other guys - they all look familiar - I know it is is Max on drums, beyond that, I am clueless.
Eight in the Tonight Show Band, the ZZ Top guy, Beck, Kim says Ben Harper (and I believe her), Will Ferrell of course and I have no idea if the woman was someone whose name I should know (maybe his real life wife Viveca Paulson? Google told me her name just now!)

Oh good, we all mostly agree :)

(edited by CRZ on 22.1.10 2353)


JustinShapiro
Scrapple
Moderator








Since: 12.12.01
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 12 hours
Last activity: 31 min.
#208 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.44
Wasn't that Andrea Savage?
It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 9 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
#209 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.28
It's hard to say what we've witnessed over the last week. I believe we witnessed the real life version of Krusty's Komeback Special and Chef Aid. The outpouring of support for Conan is like nothing I've ever seen.

This has been television history.




MacGruber! Making life-saving inventions out of household materials! MacGruber! Getting in and out of ultra-sticky situations! MacGruber! The guy's a freakin' genius! MACGRUBER!

Good luck getting that theme song out of your head
LinearRO
Bauerwurst








Since: 5.1.02
From: West Los Angeles, California

Since last post: 1260 days
Last activity: 1057 days
AIM:  
#210 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.20
It just ended here on the West Coast.

Downright awesome way to go out on.

Nosotros todos somos Conando!



Oooooooh, Ahhhhhh, Eeeeeee, Yaaaaaaaaa, Grrrrrrrrr, you son of a oh, eeeeeeee, and that's how we shave. -Homer Simpson
Tenken347
Boudin blanc








Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 6 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#211 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.03
That was seriously some of the best television I've ever seen. The "best of" montage at the beginning was really fun, and there are definitely worse ways to leave television than playing yourself off to "Freebird."
GameCrazy
Chipolata








Since: 13.1.10
From: Wyomissing, PA

Since last post: 1512 days
Last activity: 285 days
#212 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.20
Not really the best show to go out on... probably the least I've enjoyed one of his broadcasts in a while. Neil Young was great, and Tom Hanks was pleasant enough I guess, but I'm getting kinda sick of Will Ferrell's "I can't sing too well, but since I know it, I'm gonna do it anyway and it'll be FUNNY, dammit" schtick. To me, it felt out of place, because substitute anyone else for Will Ferrell on vocals (including Conan himself), that performance would have been an epic way to go out.

The Carrell stuff seemed like Conan was struggling to find the humor in it the whole time. Why couldn't Carrell have just been Michael Scott for the segment? That would have turned the whole thing from just a fellow NBC guy asking stock questions and hoping that the answers were funny into something instantly entertaining.

Ah well, it was still better than anything Leno's put on in the past several months. I'm definitely Team Conan and I respect his class in thanking NBC on his way out. Burning bridges doesn't do anyone any good, and regardless of what's happening now, he does owe his career to the network keeping him on the air this long to begin with. They really mishandled this whole situation, and I'm sure they'll regret it come March if they don't already. Wherever Conan ends up in September, I'm sure he'll pop huge ratings and give Leno & Letterman a run for their money. I miss Late Night...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I saw a clip from the Today Show where some NBC exec stated in a kind of emphatic way that all of Conan's characters and ideas don't go with him and stay at NBC. You don't think they would try to shovel some of those off to Leno once Tonight starts again, do you? They couldn't possibly try to hit Conan THAT squarely below the belt... right?

(edited by GameCrazy on 23.1.10 0818)
DrewDewce
Bratwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Derby City

Since last post: 50 days
Last activity: 1 day
Y!:
#213 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.76
Let's hope that Letterman's first (and possibly only guest) on March 1st to counter "Big Jaw's" first night back is CoCo himself.

Still can't believe it came to this. Bill Simmons gave a Twitter link to a site that had ”The Late Shift”. (the 1996 movie that “chronicled” Dave vs. Jay) posted in 9 parts that I watched again for the first time since probably 1997 yesterday evening and the parallels to what went on then and how NBC didn't learn a damn thing from all of that are almost maddening. Man, I hope Jay fails miserably in his "triumphant" return to . . . that show.



"You are going to get a certain amount of snarkiness on the Internet no matter what, and my rule is that you don't post anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face."
Marc Andreyko (Writer of DC Comic's "Manhunter")
El Nastio
Andouille








Since: 14.1.02
From: Ottawa Ontario, by way of Walkerton

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 30 min.
ICQ:  
#214 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.35
I disagree with you GameCrazy, I thought this show was outstanding, especially as a final show.

The best-of montage was incredible and certainly highlighted all the best moments of the show. Looking at that it made ask; why in the world would they want to lose this guy?

Meanwhile, Tom Hanks as a guest was wonderful. A great interview and some good stories shared, as they've known each other sense SNL. As far as guests go, I can think of few who would be better.

Neil Young was Neil Young. ANyone who has complaints about that should turn off the TV and never watch it again.

The classy way he thanked NBC showed character, and he also said some wise words. I think Conan knows (or at least found out the last two weeks) the kind of impact he has/can have on the young adults of the world, and took the high road to set an example. As far as final things to say, I can think of far worse things.

Finally, to me a big part of Late Night and the Tonight Show wasn't just Conan (and for a few years Andy as well), but also the Max Weinberg 7. I started playing drums/percussion several years ago, and I can't explain how much joy it gives me. When I started was also around the time I started watching Late Night, and immediately noticed the skill of Max Weinberg. And I saw that he too enjoyed himself as he played, and often had the look of someone who could play forever and enjoy it. After a short while I noticed the House Band can add so much to these shows, and talent/music wise I can think of few that added more to the show than the Max Weinberg 7. They added so much to the show yet never overshadowed what happened. And to this day, talent wise, I have the utmost respect for Max Weinberg and his skills as a drummer. To end the show with Conan JOINING them with the guitar (and doing a sick job of it I might add) was a touching and incredibly fitting way to end the show. You can tell, as always, Max was enjoying himself. But the smile on Conan's face truly showed he too enjoyed it. And of course, at the very end, everyone turned to max has he "flipped out" and he did not disappoint.

I'm saddened because as a previous poster (John Q I believe) said; "he's my Johnny Carson". In my teen-aged years I watched Conan, in college I watched Conan, and with the rise of the Internet I could continue to watch despite strange schedules. For him not to be on the air makes me sad, but I'm also hopeful he'll be back. And not just Conan, but the whole crew. Because although Conan was the face of Late Night/Tonight Show, it's a different thing altogether when Andy, Conan, and Max (+ The 7) join forces.

(edited by El Nastio on 23.1.10 1024)


You know, I really don't know what to put here. Close your eyes and thank of something funny!
Wpob
Lap cheong








Since: 21.11.02
From: Williston Park, NY

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#215 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.57
I loved the show and DVRed it and will save it for a long time. I loved how Neil Young thanked Conan for being such a good outlet for new music and artists. Some really awesome unknown to most bands have come through Conan's shows. I loved Tom Hanks and would have loved it even more if it really was Scotch. And Ferrell was Ferrell. It gave the final segment a slight comedic touch. And of course, the cow bell was awesome. I though Ferrell did not go over the top and take away from the moment. And count me as those who were surprised at how good Conan was on guitar.

I will miss this show, Conan, andy and all the rest. The countdown for 7 months from now begins today. I anxiously await CoCo's trimphant return and also hope LEtterman gets the first interview. Even better, would be Fallon, just to stick it to NBC and Jay Leno.

I am curious to see how the ratings for Leno will be in week 2. I assume week 1 will get solid ratings for the curiosity factor. After that, I hope it bombs worse than Chevy Chase and that THAT is how people will remember Jay. As much as I am angry at NBC for this mess, I am angrier at Jay. He could have taken the high road and said no to The Tonight Show. He could have had a once a month special on Friday nights. He could have worked out a deal the same as Conan and tried his hand elsehwere is a year. But in the end, in my eyes, he screwed over someone else to get what he wanted. I hope the Tonight Show nevers recovers.

Also, nice opening segment for Fallon with a nod to Conan. I turned it off after that because I find Fallon almost as non-funny as Leno. I guess I can now set my TV to CBS from 11:35 to 1:35.



Life is hilariously cruel.

John Orquiola
Scrapple








Since: 28.2.02
From: Boston

Since last post: 148 days
Last activity: 148 days
#216 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.21
    Originally posted by El Nastio
    I disagree with you GameCrazy, I thought this show was outstanding, especially as a final show.

    The best-of montage was incredible and certainly highlighted all the best moments of the show. Looking at that it made ask; why in the world would they want to lose this guy?

    Meanwhile, Tom Hanks as a guest was wonderful. A great interview and some good stories shared, as they've known each other sense SNL. As far as guests go, I can think of few who would be better.

    Neil Young was Neil Young. ANyone who has complaints about that should turn off the TV and never watch it again.

    The classy way he thanked NBC showed character, and he also said some wise words. I think Conan knows (or at least found out the last two weeks) the kind of impact he has/can have on the young adults of the world, and took the high road to set an example. As far as final things to say, I can think of far worse things.

    Finally, to me a big part of Late Night and the Tonight Show wasn't just Conan (and for a few years Andy as well), but also the Max Weinberg 7. I started playing drums/percussion several years ago, and I can't explain how much joy it gives me. When I started was also around the time I started watching Late Night, and immediately noticed the skill of Max Weinberg. And I saw that he too enjoyed himself as he played, and often had the look of someone who could play forever and enjoy it. After a short while I noticed the House Band can add so much to these shows, and talent/music wise I can think of few that added more to the show than the Max Weinberg 7. They added so much to the show yet never overshadowed what happened. And to this day, talent wise, I have the utmost respect for Max Weinberg and his skills as a drummer. To end the show with Conan JOINING them with the guitar (and doing a sick job of it I might add) was a touching and incredibly fitting way to end the show. You can tell, as always, Max was enjoying himself. But the smile on Conan's face truly showed he too enjoyed it. And of course, at the very end, everyone turned to max has he "flipped out" and he did not disappoint.

    I'm saddened because as a previous poster (John Q I believe) said; "he's my Johnny Carson". In my teen-aged years I watched Conan, in college I watched Conan, and with the rise of the Internet I could continue to watch despite strange schedules. For him not to be on the air makes me sad, but I'm also hopeful he'll be back. And not just Conan, but the whole crew. Because although Conan was the face of Late Night/Tonight Show, it's a different thing altogether when Andy, Conan, and Max (+ The 7) join forces.

    (edited by El Nastio on 23.1.10 1024)


Absolutely agree 100% (and not just because you quoted me in there.) God, it was a wonderful show. Honest, real, heartfelt, funny, surprising, joyous. Amazing television, amazing celebration of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. It will stay in my DVR for a long, long time.

Conan's final words really hit me, really stuck.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."

Conan can't come back soon enough. I wait eagerly to have fun on television with him, Andy, Max, and his team once again.

(And I'll never be able to hear Cheap Trick's "Surrender" again without visualizing Conan running across the country. I loved that.)

(edited by John Orquiola on 23.1.10 0841)


@BackoftheHead
www.backofthehead.com
Tenken347
Boudin blanc








Since: 27.2.03
From: Parts Unknown

Since last post: 6 hours
Last activity: 2 hours
#217 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.03
    Originally posted by Wpob
    I loved the show and DVRed it and will save it for a long time. I loved how Neil Young thanked Conan for being such a good outlet for new music and artists. Some really awesome unknown to most bands have come through Conan's shows.



This is totally true. The Late Show always had the best musical acts - a bunch of new, mostly-unknown guys that would always play great for the show. That was one of the things I missed most when Conan took over the Tonight Show, because it meant he had to do a lot more established acts.
AWArulz
Knackwurst








Since: 28.1.02
From: Louisville, KY

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 5 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#218 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.63
I am not a conan or Leno fan. I watch Letterman and DVR Craig.

But I watched last night. Enjoyed it, for what it was. I don't think it will influence me to watch Conan in the future, but you never know.



We'll be back right after order has been restored here in the Omni Center.

That the universe was formed by a fortuitous concourse of atoms, I will no more believe than that the accidental jumbling of the alphabet would fall into a most ingenious treatise of philosophy - Swift

Mr Shh
Toulouse








Since: 9.1.02
From: Bergen County, NJ

Since last post: 4 hours
Last activity: 4 hours
#219 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.49
    Originally posted by JST
    Ben Harper on the... twangy-thing. (name?)

Steel guitar. And when I saw someone playing it, I thought the someone was Robert Randolph, which would've been sick, but Ben Harper is OK too. :-)

Andy was conspicuous by his absence during the whole last segment.

    Originally posted by El Nastio
    As far as final things to say, I can think of far worse things.

"And finally, I have to say something to our fans. The massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming...and would have been great to have a couple of months ago, but thank you anyway."



You askew my mirror. I askew yours.
BongHitter
Linguica








Since: 12.8.02
From: Iowa

Since last post: 924 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#220 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.00
Not to nit-pick, but "ZZ Top guy" was actually Billy Gibbons, not Dusty Hill.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Thread rated: 5.19
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next
Thread ahead: "Til Death" renewed yet again?
Next thread: Robin Hood
Previous thread: RIP Corey Haim
(2175 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
OK, I'll admit it: I saw "Mr. Popper's Penguins." Was a huge fan of the book in elementary school and also love penguins. That said...not a movie I'd get on DVD.
Related threads: William Shatner vs. Sarah Palin on "Conan" - Conando meets the WWE - Shatner does Palin - More...
The W - Movies & TV - Is Conan going to be replaced ALREADY? (Page 11)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.227 seconds.