I didn't get to see Impact live last night due to it being Valentine's Day, but I watched it this morning.
Overall, I actually enjoyed the show. It was pretty simple and straight forward, but entertaining all the same.
- I am not a fan of the format of "Oh have matches to impress the boss" to get a title shot. it was like this wishy washy kind of way of doing it. Why not have some kind of ranking system or an official tournament or something a bit more structured? That said, the matches themselves were pretty good. It was weird that two of the matches ended in draws though.
- The crowd, once again, was awesome. It is so refreshing to see TNA infront of a more excited & larger audience.
- Magnus Vs. Daniels was good, and maybe it was the London crowd really getting behind him, but Magnus looked like a star in the making in there.
- Angle Vs. Joe was a pretty good match as well. It wasn't anything we haven't already seen out of these two many times before, but as part of this format and for TV, it was pretty good. Wes & Garrett attacking them during the match was actually a good way to build heat on them because they can say that Wes & Garrett cost both of them a shot at the World Title.
- The Mixed Tag match took me by surprise. The Blossom Twins are inexperienced? They looked way more polished than I expected. I've never seen them before. What was their background before British Boot Camp? As for the KO Title match next week: It isn't bad, but it feels like they are giving away big bouts & title matches just to make the UK shows feel special which may hurt Lockdown. I mean what are they going to do at Lockdown for the undercard?
- Storm Vs. RVD was, once again, a good match. Cool to see RVD break out the Van Terminator at least. They packed a lot of action into a 5-6 minute match and it was fun to watch.
- Joseph Park playing politics to get a title shot was really funny
- Aries Vs. Roode was entertaining as hell! Can somebody get me a GIF of Roode giving the "up yours" gesture. Both men going for the Fingerpoke of Doom? Both men channeling Eddy Guerrero? I mean damn, this match was a riot. It was loads of fun.
- Closing segment was OK I guess. I think we can all figure out what is going on here. Bully Ray, and possibly Brooke Hogan too, are manipulating things with the Aces & Eights to get Bully Ray a World Title shot, and you can trace that back pretty much to Hardcore Justice of last year. It is disappointing that we didn't get an announcement of who the Number One Contender was considering that was the promise at the start of the show. You gotta think that Magnus & James Storm were the main choices to be picked, and I'd say that those characters would have a bit of a gripe.
So yeah, solid show with some good wrestling. Like I said, I am not a fan of the "Impress the boss" style of picking a contender (how does one do that beyond winning?) but it was still fun overall. Aries/Roode, Joe/Angle, Daniels/Magnus, Storm/RVD, & even the mixed tag were all good matches.
Didn't see much of this show, but what I saw was pretty solid. I thought it was funny how after Joe and Angle had a fifteen minute grueling match Bischoff and Brisco run in and still can't get the better of the babyface, it was par the course for the job squad which is unquestionably the weakest faction ever. The Blossom twins looked good and would be a nice full-time add to the knockouts division which badly needs new blood. Poor Party Marty nearly killed himself on that dive which he overshot by a lot. Last year Brit Mark Haskins nearly kills himself on a Impact in the UK this year Party Marty. Speaking of Brits TNA needs to push Magnus to the top as he has it all no get to the top including youth and a great look. Hope TNA does not drop the ball on him like they did on Storm and others. I love Aries and Roode, but I don't love them together as goofy heels they are too good for that role. Pretty clear Bully will turn heel and be the leader of the Aces right? Please no more dumb swerves like Taz and Devon's reveals which sucked. Good wrestling show, but the Aces and Eights really are a big turn off and a joke, IMO.
I know it's "rasslin'" and you're not supposed to think about things too much but, why would TNA approve work visas for Aces & Eights to fly out to England if they are so disruptive? It doesn't make sense when you think about it. They're a biker gang, did they ride their motorcycles across the ocean to get to the arena?
Aces and Eights needs to come to some kind of conclusion or should have had by now. They need to hire the twins now, they are like the Bella Twins, but can wrestle. The Roode/Aries match was amazing and why Jeff "Lost Cause" Hardy is still champ an these two are not is beyond me.
The Wee Baby Sheamus.Twitter: @realjoecarfley its a bit more toned down there. A bit.
I love TNA's ongoing exploration of the potential of the Fingerpoke of Doom finish. From Tara actually losing the Knockouts title to Madison via laying down in 2010, to Eric Young winning the TV title in 2011 from Gunner via rollup after getting Fingerpoke of Doomed, to the duel of dual Fingerpoke of Dooms tonight, they manage to keep it fresh.
RVD v. Storm was great. I was surprised that Storm got the win there.
Its too soon for Bully Ray to turn heel again, but whatever he's too good of a heel to waste as a face. Besides, there are far worse plotlines to steal than the McMahon-Hemsley Regime (which was the storyline that led me to start watching wrestling). The Knockouts Tag Team Title can be used in Brooke Hogan's version of Stephanie's Womens' Title reign.