The W
Views: 95781038
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
24.4.14 0844
The W - Pro Wrestling - HUGE blunder by NWA TNA
This thread has 11 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.91
Pages: 1 2 Next
(7610 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (21 total)
cfgb
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.87
I don't know how many people remember this, but a little over a year ago, a rule was instituted that if the champion loses a match by DQ, he loses the title.

Tonight, Jeff Jarrett lost his World Title match to Sting - yet the title did not change.

That's a major lapse in continuity forgotten by the bookers. I'm not impressed.



Contact cfgb
Visit SHOOTING STAR PRESS - regular updates, great writers. Check it out!
Promote this thread!
Gugs
Bierwurst








Since: 9.7.02
From: Sleep (That's where I'm a viking)

Since last post: 336 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.24
The key phrase there is "a little over a year ago." I've never watched TNA, but if WWE made a rules change like that, that would not be remembered a month later. WCW made a drastic change to their hardcore rules, but went back to the original less than 3 months later I believe.



Josh Beckett is God. If you don't believe me, ask the Yankees (or what's left of them after Georgie Porgie goes nuts).

I write for CSSA. You probably don't.
cfgb
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.87
That said - the rule was never removed and it has been referrenced SEVERAL times since it was put into place.

They have avoided doing DQ finishes involving the champion losing for that reason alone. If you look back over title matches be they X Title, Tag-Team Title, or World Title - you'll note a distinct lack of DQ finishes since last (October?) when the rule was instituted.

Chris Sabin, when cheating to no end to retain his X Title would often be called on it by the announcers that he'd better watch his step or he'll wind up losing the belt.

I suspect it has a LOT to do with Dutch Mantell coming in and being completely unaware of the rule structure and I'm a tad pissed that nobody took a spare minute to inform him that DQs were not cool.

And then to further drive the annoyance into me, Lex Luger returns next week.



Contact cfgb
Visit SHOOTING STAR PRESS - regular updates, great writers. Check it out!
Michrome
Head cheese








Since: 2.1.03

Since last post: 3650 days
Last activity: 2717 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 10.00
Err, it was a nontitle match, so that doesn't apply..or did I misunderstand the rule?

Rick Steiner, Jim Duggan, Sting, and Lex Luger for 10 dollars a week. Shoot me now.
Evil Antler God
Potato korv








Since: 10.1.02

Since last post: 2757 days
Last activity: 883 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.85
    Originally posted by cfgb
    And then to further drive the annoyance into me, Lex Luger returns next week.


.....dear lord, I shudder to think how they'll deal with the "you killed Liz" chants you KNOW he's going to get....



Anybody can kick people's asses. But it takes a true monster to kick people's asses AND breastfeed at the same time
- Excalibur05
jwrestle
Lap cheong








Since: 4.4.03
From: Nitro WV

Since last post: 201 days
Last activity: 31 min.
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.14
    Originally posted by cfgb
    I don't know how many people remember this, but a little over a year ago, a rule was instituted that if the champion loses a match by DQ, he loses the title.

    Tonight, Jeff Jarrett lost his World Title match to Sting - yet the title did not change.

    That's a major lapse in continuity forgotten by the bookers. I'm not impressed.


Once again a KEY word in wrestling that has become a major faux pas is the word CONTINUITY! Many instances of this would be KANE! I really hate to remind everbody of tis but it's so PAINFULLY obvious from being tourtured in his basement by Paul Bearer and being a killer all in the same time frame really make you wonder. I think the closest thing they ever came to keeping in "CONTINUITY" was the McMahon steals the smoking skull belt which built for 6 months and the Hardore 24/7 rule which was OFF/ON at times.



As Eric Bishoff asks if he's ok I get this message ------------

ssjaj23: Goldberg: What's wrong? I can't sell, I'm sloppy in the ring. I don't like being heel. I have no ring phycology
It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 12 days
Last activity: 5 days
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.89
    Originally posted by Evil Antler God
      Originally posted by cfgb
      And then to further drive the annoyance into me, Lex Luger returns next week.


    .....dear lord, I shudder to think how they'll deal with the "you killed Liz" chants you KNOW he's going to get....


I don't think ANY fans in this country are THAT callous.

But still, who the hell thought it was a good idea to give LEX LUGER a job??? If you thought Scott Steiner's return at the Royal Rumble was a Hindenburg crash, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

(edited by It's False on 5.11.03 1930)



Place your bets! How long before this man is on the shelf again?
cfgb
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.87
Hrm, after Michrome's post I went back to watch the Intros, and there was no mention of the belt on the line. EXACTLY like last week - though I checked nwatna.com last week and found out his match with Duggan had been a title match...

Which is where I'm lost with this week. I got my Torch VIP e-mail a few minutes ago and they also have it as a World Title match...

When I recap the show later this week I'll keep my ear tuned to hear the words "World Title match" at some point to back up my point, but for the time being I'll allow them the benefit of the doubt.

Once again a KEY word in wrestling that has become a major faux pas is the word CONTINUITY! Many instances of this would be KANE! I really hate to remind everbody of tis but it's so PAINFULLY obvious from being tourtured in his basement by Paul Bearer and being a killer all in the same time frame really make you wonder. I think the closest thing they ever came to keeping in "CONTINUITY" was the McMahon steals the smoking skull belt which built for 6 months and the Hardore 24/7 rule which was OFF/ON at times.

Oh please please please don't compare TNA and WWE when it comes to continuity because aside from flopping Don Harris from heel to face from week to week, they're usually quite good at remembering history. Lord knows if they didn't, Mike Tenay would let us know he was flat out confused.



Contact cfgb
Visit SHOOTING STAR PRESS - regular updates, great writers. Check it out!
Michrome
Head cheese








Since: 2.1.03

Since last post: 3650 days
Last activity: 2717 days
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 10.00
Meltzer listed the match as nontitle today, and I think others in previews did too.
jwrestle
Lap cheong








Since: 4.4.03
From: Nitro WV

Since last post: 201 days
Last activity: 31 min.
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.14
    Originally posted by cfgb
    Hrm, after Michrome's post I went back to watch the Intros, and there was no mention of the belt on the line. EXACTLY like last week - though I checked nwatna.com last week and found out his match with Duggan had been a title match...

    Which is where I'm lost with this week. I got my Torch VIP e-mail a few minutes ago and they also have it as a World Title match...

    When I recap the show later this week I'll keep my ear tuned to hear the words "World Title match" at some point to back up my point, but for the time being I'll allow them the benefit of the doubt.

    Once again a KEY word in wrestling that has become a major faux pas is the word CONTINUITY! Many instances of this would be KANE! I really hate to remind everbody of tis but it's so PAINFULLY obvious from being tourtured in his basement by Paul Bearer and being a killer all in the same time frame really make you wonder. I think the closest thing they ever came to keeping in "CONTINUITY" was the McMahon steals the smoking skull belt which built for 6 months and the Hardore 24/7 rule which was OFF/ON at times.

    Oh please please please don't compare TNA and WWE when it comes to continuity because aside from flopping Don Harris from heel to face from week to week, they're usually quite good at remembering history. Lord knows if they didn't, Mike Tenay would let us know he was flat out confused.



Sorry wasn't headed in WWE direction, just used it as example because there the WORST about it. Now, yeah, Tenay keeps it pretty striaght. Even about past WCW stuff he keeps all that very in order.



As Eric Bishoff asks if he's ok I get this message ------------

ssjaj23: Goldberg: What's wrong? I can't sell, I'm sloppy in the ring. I don't like being heel. I have no ring phycology
chill
Landjager








Since: 18.5.02

Since last post: 2505 days
Last activity: 2505 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
This thread is pointless.

Taken from the NWATNA.com site:

STING RETURNS TO TNA!!!
This past Wednesday, we learned from Jimmy Hart that the one and only STING will return to TNA this week to face NWA World Champion Jeff Jarrett! The last time Sting was in TNA, he teamed with Jarrett. This time, he's come to the defense of Jimmy Hart, who has recruited Sting to battle Jarrett this Wednesday on Pay-Per-View! Without a doubt, TNA fans have been anxious to see the return of Sting, and they get it this Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View!

No mention of a title shot, so a DQ win is nothing to get bothered about.
evilwaldo
Lap cheong








Since: 7.2.02
From: New York, NY

Since last post: 3225 days
Last activity: 3006 days
AIM:  
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
    Originally posted by Evil Antler God
      Originally posted by cfgb
      And then to further drive the annoyance into me, Lex Luger returns next week.


    .....dear lord, I shudder to think how they'll deal with the "you killed Liz" chants you KNOW he's going to get....


Lex's mom will be at ringside to scold those bad fans.



mmmmmm, Breakfast (x-entertainment.com)
The Thrill
Banger








Since: 16.4.02
From: Green Bay, WI

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 16 hours
#13 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.57
    Originally posted by It's False
      Originally posted by Evil Antler God
        Originally posted by cfgb
        And then to further drive the annoyance into me, Lex Luger returns next week.


      .....dear lord, I shudder to think how they'll deal with the "you killed Liz" chants you KNOW he's going to get....


    I don't think ANY fans in this country are THAT callous.


Have you tried Philadelphia?



Star wipe, and...we're out.
Thrillin' ain't easy.



THE THRILL
ACW-NWA Wisconsin
Home Video Technical Director...&
A2NWO 4 Life!
(Click the big G to hear the Packers Fight Song in RealAudio!)
Ringmistress
Lap cheong








Since: 15.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2493 days
Last activity: 2492 days
#14 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.00
Well as seemingly the only Philadelphian on the board, I'd like to apologize in advance.



After a quarter of a century on this planet, there's three things I know for sure...
1)I'm smarter than I was a year ago.
2)WWE isn't.
3) I'd make a fine Mrs. HHH II.
1300 bitches and counting....
Davros
Blutwurst








Since: 22.8.02
From: Between thought and Reality, TZ

Since last post: 2476 days
Last activity: 2471 days
#15 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.05
NWA-TNA is pretty good on continuity, and Tenay is the legit voice that helps back that up.

I also have to say, welcome back Lex. Forgiveness is a great thing, and I hope he gets the kind of seeya later he deserves, despite what may, or may not have happened in his personal life.



Biggle nuts, numby chumps, muthuphuq- Yeah-yeah-yeeeeah.
BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 16 hours
Last activity: 10 hours
#16 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.50
Lex has got some balls to go back into the ring again. Has he done any other work since the incident? I'm curious to see what kind of shape he's going to be in. I don't have a problem with TNA brining Lex in because of the Liz thing, but I do think that they should stop digging up old bones from the past as it makes their regulars look like bush leaguers.
evilwaldo
Lap cheong








Since: 7.2.02
From: New York, NY

Since last post: 3225 days
Last activity: 3006 days
AIM:  
#17 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.00
    Originally posted by Ringmistress
    Well as seemingly the only Philadelphian on the board, I'd like to apologize in advance.



Yo, yo, yo, yo. I lived there for 17 years before moving to New York a few months ago and still consider myself a Philadelphian.

There are a couple more here. We used to populate the football forum and poke fun at everyone there.



mmmmmm, Breakfast (x-entertainment.com)
Nate The Snake
Liverwurst








Since: 9.1.02
From: Wichita, Ks

Since last post: 3566 days
Last activity: 3036 days
AIM:  
#18 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.75
    Originally posted by BigDaddyLoco
    Lex has got some balls to go back into the ring again. Has he done any other work since the incident? I'm curious to see what kind of shape he's going to be in.


He'll probably be in just as good a shape as Warrior was during his WCW run.

The only good thing to come out of this will be the return of the Luger Sell~! and the Luger D'oh, which is awesome but not quite tilde-worthy.



Kansas-born and deeply ashamed
The last living La Parka Marka

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sec19Row53
Lap cheong








Since: 2.1.02
From: Oconomowoc, WI

Since last post: 10 days
Last activity: 10 hours
Y!:
#19 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.07
    Originally posted by chill
    This thread is pointless.

    Taken from the NWATNA.com site:

    STING RETURNS TO TNA!!!
    This past Wednesday, we learned from Jimmy Hart that the one and only STING will return to TNA this week to face NWA World Champion Jeff Jarrett! The last time Sting was in TNA, he teamed with Jarrett. This time, he's come to the defense of Jimmy Hart, who has recruited Sting to battle Jarrett this Wednesday on Pay-Per-View! Without a doubt, TNA fans have been anxious to see the return of Sting, and they get it this Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View!

    No mention of a title shot, so a DQ win is nothing to get bothered about.

I would argue whether this quote makes the thread pointless. If somebody tells you that [insert champion here] is wrestling [insert returning superstar here] next week, it's a Title match UNLESS they specifically call it a non-Title match. That's a pretty valid assumption.



Booked to be Wiener of the Day May 16-18, 2003
KathyNumbers
Chipolata








Since: 15.6.02
From: Philadelphia, PA

Since last post: 452 days
Last activity: 3 days
#20 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.57
<>

I'm a Philadelphian, too, girl! Remember? LOL
Since when did we apologize for anything? One of our local boys - Stevie Richards - is sorta kinda in the same boat now.
Guilt by association?
I'd hate to think of that happening.

Kathy
Pages: 1 2 Next
Thread rated: 4.91
Pages: 1 2 Next
Thread ahead: Edge in new Batman movie
Next thread: The Great Thomas SmackDown! Report 11/6/03
Previous thread: A Multi-Faceted Post Mania XX Blueprint for the WWF/E
(7610 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I guess I'll post a smackdown thought here, instead of a new thread. Was Billy Kidman wearing a diaper tonight? He really needs to go back to the denim shorts he wore in WCW.
- TheBucsFan, Triple H...and lots of him (2002)
Related threads: NWA TNA: October 29, 2003 - TNA Freaking Sucks (Rant) - NWA TNA: October 22, 2003 - More...
The W - Pro Wrestling - HUGE blunder by NWA TNARegister and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.453 seconds.