My family and I are so sick of the Lakers... I mean, I've hated them since they signed Shaq, and I can't stand Kobe or Rick Fox or Horray (he looks like he could snap like a Rasheed Wallace in Portland), and, as my mom put it, "There isn't anyone on that Lakers team that can't go anything without looking like a stupid smacked ass."
They're going DOOOOOOOOOWN, baby. It ends on Friday. Is that game six? I think it is, and it ends THEN.
- Could Vlade Divac have possibly complained to the officials any more? That guy hit the floor around a dozen times for the evening, going so far as to flop for Derik Fisher who's half Vlade's size.
- While I thought Kings fans complained way too much on the game 4 officiating, I would have to respectfully say that the game appeared to be slightly in favor of Sacramento as far as crucial calls went. Shaq's 6th foul was just nonexistant as was Kobe's foul late in the game as well as a HARD moving pick by Chris Webber that put D Fish on the floor and gave Mike Bibby a wide open shot. Shaq was also getting the shit pounded out of him downlow with no calls as well as a jump ball that resulted after Chris Webber stiffarmed the hell out of Kobe Bryant from the floor. In Sac's defense there were also a few questionable calls as the officiating has been all but consistent this series.
- Chris Webber is showing time and time again why he isn't the player to build a team exclusively around. He just isn't good in the low post (not that the Kings use the play much anymore), he is sloppy with the ball, he lost his dribble and fell on the court at least 5 times tonight and he has never proven to be the guy to come up in the clutch. Mike Bibby on the other hand IS a big game player. I thought he was good coming into the series but the guy is HUGE when the Kings need him, one hell of a pure shooter from what I have seen and most likely a soon to be marquee player. As Bill Walton said "we need players right now", and he certainly wasn't looking at Chris Webber.
- Kobe Bryant is starting to live up to his Micheal Jordan comparisons lately by playing extremely inconsistent ball and normally missing game winning shots yet still keeping the reputation of a clutch player. He is one the best players in the game which can't be denies, but that ball could have ended up in Robert Horry's hands and probably should have considering that Kobe has come up short with that end of the game floater quite a few times in the last 2 months.
- The Lakers WILL pick up game 6 in the Staples, no question about it. They need to get Shaq the ball as often as possible and continue to allow him to beat the hell out of Vlade and the fwd's down low. The Lakers are a triangle offense team and a hell of a lot better one than Chicago when Phil Jackson led them as Shaq is NOT Luc Longley or Bill Wennington thank god. They are getting way too comfortable with guys like Derek Fisher trying to create off of the dribble when Shaq downlow is a much higher percentage play. Game 7 should be one of the best games of the season and I think LA can and probably will take it.
Question: Who is the most overpaid member of the Kings organization? Answer: The team barber. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.
(edited by Jay Bower on 28.5.02 2253) Jay Bower TheSmarks.com/A1wrestling.com
I read your exploits down there in Ft. Myers, it's too bad about that girl being 17. In New York, age of consent is 17 (Rudy Guliani told me so). Not that I would touch a 17 year old (me being 25) but you would have to say that these girls are looking a lot older than they truthfully are. At least that's what I tell the c-o-p-s.
P.S. Mike Bibby is a PTP'er baby! He is the MVP of the Series.
Exactly. Shaq didn't foul Bibby with his arms there, but he did drape his leg out trip him coming around and it was a clear foul. As for Webber knocking Fisher over on Bibby's winning shot, you can go back to the play right after Shaq fouled out of the game. Fox pulled a moving pick right into Doug Christie that took Christie down, and not only did Fox not get called for a foul, but Christie was charged with his sixth foul and taken out of the game.
If there's anything better in the NBA today than seeing Kobe taking a game winning shot and not making it, it could only be seeing Kobe take and miss a game winning shot right after Bill Walton has spent two hours droning on and on about how much he loves Kobe. Oh, wonderful fate!
"Shaq needed to be called for the tripping fouls. I can't see how you don't think that pivoting while keeping your leg in front of a moving player is not going to be a trip.
It's not like he was set or maintained his position. He was guarding Bibby with his leg! When you are Shaq sized going against Bibby - it needs to be called."
Now I watched the replay of this play from the overhead, side, and every other angle you could possibly imagine and I just couldn't see any leg to leg contact between Shaq and Bibby. Bibby was so out of control on that play that he was stumbling as it is, and however little it's worth Bill Walton agreed.
As for Doug Christie's 6th foul, I will give you that, there was a moving pick that should have been called and if Nikita Koloff was doing play by play he would have been like "Doug Christie....was in daaaaa wrong place....at the wrong time.....datttts whats going on".
I got a good laugh out of the Kings owners calling the series the greatest sports series of all time as well although I guess they are allowed to get worked up over their own ball clubs victory.
Thanks for reading the column dirk, its getting to the point where you have to ID people on the spot before you introduce yourself.
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought in the case of tripping that contact wasn't necessary, just the attempt to impede with a leg...
Here's the closest I can get to an official rule that says that - someone have better information than I do?
Section I--Types a. A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a posi-tion that is not normal. Contact that results in the re-routing of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately. b. Contact initiated by the defensive player guarding a player with the ball is not legal. This contact includes, but is not limited to, forearm, hands, or body check. EXCEPTIONS: (1) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball who has his back to the basket below the free throw line extend-ed outside the Lower Defensive Box. (2) A defender may apply contact with a forearm and/or one hand with a bent elbow to an offensive player in a post-up position with the ball in the Lower Defensive Box. (3) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball at any time in the Lower Defensive Box. The forearm in the above exceptions is solely for the purpose of main-taining a defensive position. (4) A defender may position his leg between the legs of an offensive player in a post-up position in the Lower Defensive Box for the purpose of main-taining defensive position. If his foot leaves the floor in an attempt to dis-lodge his opponent, it is a foul immediately.
I am loving this series. Up until this year I would root against the Lakers. Now I can't do it. The Kings do so many small things that annoy me. I've always hated Webber, and being an Ohio State fan it couldn't be any other way. Divac looks like a fool flopping around and complaining all the time. It's even worse when he is going agains Shaq, who just does his job and never changes his facial expression. I'm not sure why he does it, and maybe he has a good reason, but why does Doug Christie raise his hand all the time? And he is always laughing his cocky laugh every time he gets called for a foul. The rest of the Kings are okay, but those three have made it nearly impossible for me to root for them.
And then in the post game interview with Jim Gray, Webber says, "I knew Fisher was going to flop. They are a good flopping team." I don't know how the man could say that with a straight face. And Vlade Divac still on the floor.
I was hoping Horry would imitate Vlade's voice in the post game news confrence and say Bibby's shot was all luck, and he just threw it up praying it would go in.
If ever there was a case of the pot calling the kettle black, the Kings calling the lakers a flopping team is just ridiculous. A bigger flopper in the league than Vlade Divac I just can't think of, the guy hit the ground over a dozen times last night as I made the effort to actually count because I bet my roomate it would be over 8 times. AT least the ref's let Vlade flop, no called it and allowed Shaq to step over the top of him and dunk. Chris Webber is so full of excuses for his own poor play when it counts that it's just sad. The illegal pick on Derek Fisher was debatable as Chris Webber appeared to be in motion but I would have to see the play a few more times to form a concrete opinion. Here's a questions for Kings fans, do you guys actually like Chris Webber as a player and as a person or do you just put up with him because the like the team around him?
CRZ NOTABLE QUOTABLE OF THE MONTH: KANE: Triple H...tonight, I will burn the flesh from your body! MICHAEL COLE: OH MY GOD. KANE THREATENING TRIPLE H, SAYING HE'S GONNA BURN THE FLESH FROM HIS BODY! CRZ: Umm, I heard it the FIRST time! -- WWF Smackdown, 9/9/99
The Staples Centre will be rocking, but if the Kings can concentrate an do what they've been doing, it's all over. The Lakers may have the skill, they may have the resources, but no matter which way you cut it;
The Staples Centre is STILL home to The Paper Clips =)
(edited by El Nastio on 30.5.02 0044) It took 15 years. In my last semester of school ever. But I finally did it. The kid who was supposed to barely finish high school has received an A minus average. This makes me want to go back home.....see all those teachers in high school, my former class mates. And eventually (if I ever see him again), my father. All those people who said I wouldn't cut it, that I'd be nothing. And that I probably wouldn't make it past high school. I want to see them all. And I will enjoy shoving all those comments down their respective throats with a hot branding iron.
I want to set the draft to ready in about 24-36 hours. There's 3 spots left if you're interested. Come enjoy the joy of an autopick team. Details: Welcome to Yahoo! Sports Fantasy NBA. This is to confirm that you've created the Custom League named (W)...