The W
Views: 99406001
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
2.10.14 0151
The W - Pro Wrestling - Good Ol' Mick... (Page 3)
This thread has 16 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3(11191 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (51 total)
vsp
Andouille








Since: 3.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 3012 days
Last activity: 226 days
#41 Posted on

    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    In Foley is Good, didn’t Cactus dedicate as substantial portion of his book to a detailed defense of WWF vs. PTC? Does he regret doing this now or is this just a whole lotta hypocritical behavior from someone who is now in a position to bite the hand that feeds him?


Well, at the time that he wrote that defense, the WWF wasn't running angles involving the sexual violation of corpses or heavily-promoted Hot Lesbian Action. Benoit's special hiding place for Angle's medals and Chyna's spanking habits were about as risque as they were getting then.




"No society has managed to invest more time and energy in the perpetuation of the fiction that it is _moral, sane and wholesome_ than our current crop of _Modern Americans_."
-- Frank Zappa
ThreepMe
Morcilla








Since: 15.2.02
From: Dallas

Since last post: 3680 days
Last activity: 3339 days
#42 Posted on

    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    In Foley is Good, didn’t Cactus dedicate as substantial portion of his book to a detailed defense of WWF vs. PTC? Does he regret doing this now or is this just a whole lotta hypocritical behavior from someone who is now in a position to bite the hand that feeds him

    FLEA



Doesn't everyone just love the way people can take things out of context, add an few opinions, and completely twist history?

Keep this in mind, the WWF v. PTC was complete BS. Even the PTC retracted all of that BS and paid the WWF/E a form of restitution because of all the crap they tried to lay on them.

Please re-read that book, put everything back into the context that it was written in, and realize that what Foley is doing now is in no way hypocritical.



I would like to congatulate Al Snow on his contact with La-Z-Boy. Because we all know Al doesn't sell chairs. - Mick Foley




Make sure to check out ThreepMe's Website of Fun
Ringmistress
Lap cheong








Since: 15.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2653 days
Last activity: 2653 days
#43 Posted on

    Originally posted by ThreepMe

      Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
      In Foley is Good, didn’t Cactus dedicate as substantial portion of his book to a detailed defense of WWF vs. PTC? Does he regret doing this now or is this just a whole lotta hypocritical behavior from someone who is now in a position to bite the hand that feeds him

      FLEA



    Doesn't everyone just love the way people can take things out of context, add an few opinions, and completely twist history?

    Keep this in mind, the WWF v. PTC was complete BS. Even the PTC retracted all of that BS and paid the WWF/E a form of restitution because of all the crap they tried to lay on them.

    Please re-read that book, put everything back into the context that it was written in, and realize that what Foley is doing now is in no way hypocritical.



Far from it. It's the WWE that's hypocritical. Man, I don't think I had a THREE page thread before! :-)

Ringmistress



Ringmistress - A bitch among heels.
ICEMAN
Landjager








Since: 23.5.02
From: Nashville,TN

Since last post: 1854 days
Last activity: 1543 days
#44 Posted on
Mick is right on this and I can understand why he doesn't want to defend the WW(F)E,hell I doubt anyone who's name doesn't end with McMahon or Gerwitz wants to defend them.


As for the PTC debacle,that was just publicity for them really.They just got them at the wrong time,if they started this in 96-99,they would have nailed them.But in 2000,the content was a lot better and they reached for things from the past than what was going on then to try to sell it as bad.

Mick in "Foley is Good" talks about the tape that the PTC shown showing all the "violence" on television.

Here's the quote:

"During the ten-minute (approximately) duration of this tape,no one image or person is seen more than twice. Except for me. My image is seen eleven times. Over and over again I am seen being thrown off the top and through the top (two different moves) of a sixteen-foot-high steel-mesh-cage structure. The match in question didn't take place on Smackdown! either,but on a June 1998 Pay-Per-View, a full fourteen months before Smackdown! premired."

That sounds a little hypocritical to me,on the PTC's part.











Does this look like a man who would dry hump a mannequin?
RYDER FAKIN
Six Degrees of Me








Since: 21.2.02
From: ORLANDO

Since last post: 21 days
Last activity: 21 days
AIM:  
#45 Posted on
THREEP ME: Doesn't everyone just love the way people can take things out of context, add an few opinions, and completely twist history?

FLEA: No doubt! I feel the same way about the “HHH Effect”

THREEP ME:Keep this in mind, the WWF v. PTC was complete BS. Even the PTC retracted all of that BS and paid the WWF/E a form of restitution because of all the crap they tried to lay on them.

FLEA: Exactly! And if Cactus’s book had anything to do with that, more power to him. However he did that as an employee of the WWF so his opinion was definitely biased towards his employer, despite the fact that hypocrisy was the foundation of the PTC’s argument. My point is, if Foley was still under the employment of WWE and didn’t already have two (or three) best-selling books to his credit, that he would undoubtedly be using the publicity machine and overlook “the angle” . WWF/E’s promotional power is what separated Foley’s book from equally good books by Lou Thesz (Hooker) and Dynamite Kid. For him to come out and say that he doesn’t want to be associated with the product just seems to be a little bit hypocritical, especially considering his own history of influence…

I think there are far more kids jumping from high places wrapped in barbed wire than there are grave robbing corpse fuckers. And only one of those comes with a “disclaimer” of “Don’t Try This At Home”. Not that I’m blaming Cactus for other people’s behavior (it ain’t really his fault) but on the same level his thinking that it's “guilt by association” with WWE is just way off base. Point is he no longer needs Vince and WWE, thanks to Vince and WWE.

FLEA




FLEA - 411WRESTLING.COM
redsoxnation
Scrapple








Since: 24.7.02

Since last post: 458 days
Last activity: 458 days
#46 Posted on
    Originally posted by RYDER FAKIN
    THREEP ME: Doesn't everyone just love the way people can take things out of context, add an few opinions, and completely twist history?

    FLEA: No doubt! I feel the same way about the “HHH Effect”

    THREEP ME:Keep this in mind, the WWF v. PTC was complete BS. Even the PTC retracted all of that BS and paid the WWF/E a form of restitution because of all the crap they tried to lay on them.

    FLEA: Exactly! And if Cactus’s book had anything to do with that, more power to him. However he did that as an employee of the WWF so his opinion was definitely biased towards his employer, despite the fact that hypocrisy was the foundation of the PTC’s argument. My point is, if Foley was still under the employment of WWE and didn’t already have two (or three) best-selling books to his credit, that he would undoubtedly be using the publicity machine and overlook “the angle” . WWF/E’s promotional power is what separated Foley’s book from equally good books by Lou Thesz (Hooker) and Dynamite Kid. For him to come out and say that he doesn’t want to be associated with the product just seems to be a little bit hypocritical, especially considering his own history of influence…

    I think there are far more kids jumping from high places wrapped in barbed wire than there are grave robbing corpse fuckers. And only one of those comes with a “disclaimer” of “Don’t Try This At Home”. Not that I’m blaming Cactus for other people’s behavior (it ain’t really his fault) but on the same level his thinking that it's “guilt by association” with WWE is just way off base. Point is he no longer needs Vince and WWE, thanks to Vince and WWE.

    FLEA




As always Flea, you make good points. However, if Foley is to be believed, he did actually attempt to stand up to Vince in '97 when he didn't have the book deals over the Montreal incident. Mick and Vince made up, but Foley at least took the risk no one else would by standing up to Vince. But truthfully, the main reason for Mick is why would a kiddie book author want to entangle himself in this situation?
Seriously though Flea, an interview with Percy about his pre WWF tenure in the business would make for a good Saturday column on a weekend without a PPV.

(edited by redsoxnation on 25.10.02 1527)


I want you to know, I agree with everything I've just said.
Bizzle Izzle
Bockwurst








Since: 26.6.02
From: New Jersey, USA

Since last post: 61 days
Last activity: 61 days
#47 Posted on

    Originally posted by Ringmistress
    You guys know me too well. For your information, Iceman, I wouldn't mind IF Smackdown started with Kurt in the shower, probably singing, "I'm A Maniac, Maniac for your Love..." Come on! That would be great!

    Ringmistress



As fate would have it, I was taking a drink from my bottle of water as I read this. I almost choked on a combination of water/laughter but luckily I was able to get it under control. And dammit Ringmistress, now I have this image of Kurt in the shower I want to get out of my head.

Anyway, on topic... I don't consider Foley a hypocrite for skipping out on byte this. Just because the WWF is responsible for him being the best selling author he is today, doesn't mean he has an obligation to stick by them no matter what they do. While the HHH skit did make me laugh at several parts, as a Fan, I am embarassed by the whole angle. But I can definitely understand how someone could consider him a hypocrite. After all, he's the same guy that had his small children and wife in the front row while the Rock bashed his head with a chair many many times and turned Daddy into a bloody pulp in front of his crying kids.




Maiden RULES!!!
Fuzzy Logic
Summer sausage








Since: 31.3.02
From: Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Since last post: 3196 days
Last activity: 2920 days
ICQ:  
#48 Posted on
But he's also the same man who admitted that that wasn't the greatest idea he ever had, and that he was ashamed about it, basically. There's a difference between a hypocrite and someone who admits when they're wrong.




Jack Valenti fears NASH, EATER OF non-CHILDREN~!
Ringmistress
Lap cheong








Since: 15.1.02
From: Philly

Since last post: 2653 days
Last activity: 2653 days
#49 Posted on

    Originally posted by Bizzle Izzle

      Originally posted by Ringmistress
      You guys know me too well. For your information, Iceman, I wouldn't mind IF Smackdown started with Kurt in the shower, probably singing, "I'm A Maniac, Maniac for your Love..." Come on! That would be great!

      Ringmistress



    As fate would have it, I was taking a drink from my bottle of water as I read this. I almost choked on a combination of water/laughter but luckily I was able to get it under control. And dammit Ringmistress, now I have this image of Kurt in the shower I want to get out of my head.

    Anyway, on topic... I don't consider Foley a hypocrite for skipping out on byte this. Just because the WWF is responsible for him being the best selling author he is today, doesn't mean he has an obligation to stick by them no matter what they do. While the HHH skit did make me laugh at several parts, as a Fan, I am embarassed by the whole angle. But I can definitely understand how someone could consider him a hypocrite. After all, he's the same guy that had his small children and wife in the front row while the Rock bashed his head with a chair many many times and turned Daddy into a bloody pulp in front of his crying kids.



Sorry about that...



Ringmistress - A bitch among heels.
Mandark
Linguica








Since: 20.9.02

Since last post: 4079 days
Last activity: 4074 days
#50 Posted on
Some points, numbered because it makes people more likely to read the whole pile of crap:

1) Is it official that Foley didn't like this angle because it was offensive/inappropriate for children? In Have A Nice Day, the angles he was most critical of were the ones that didn't make sense and portrayed the wrestlers as frivolous, his amnesia angle in WCW being the best example I can think of. The necrophilia angle certainly falls in that category.

2) Even if Foley was still an employee (well, independent contractor) of WWE, I doubt he would pretend to like the angle publicly. He was willing to quit WCW over personal creative differences without any sort of guarantee that he would land in the WWF, he would probably be willing to speak his mind about this angle just as much as Brian Solomon on wwe.com

3) What exactly did he say in Foley Is Good? Without his specific words, it's sort of hard to say he's being hypocritical.

4) Foley was part of those "don't do this at home, leave it to the professionals" promos they ran all the time back in the day, plus he spoke out against untrained backyard feds in his book and in interviews. I think he did endorse a backyard fed that focused more on entertainment than being hardcore. Currently, I think Tough Enough is a great advertisement for all the training and hardships it takes to be able to wrestle professionally and safely.

5) It's hard to make a case for Foley callously using WWE then turning his back on them when it becomes convenient. After all, it's his body and mind that have suffered from all the effort he put into it, he became a wrestler for the love of it instead of intending it to be a stepping stone. Hell, one of the reasons he left WWE is because they apparently had no use for him.
DarrylTheHitman
Potato korv








Since: 21.9.02
From: Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada

Since last post: 3259 days
Last activity: 2877 days
#51 Posted on
All good points Mandark except Mick apparently doesn't like Tough Enough either. I don't watch it myself either but then I make it a point not to watch Reality TV (save perhaps the news).



Pages: Prev 1 2 3
Pages: Prev 1 2 3Thread ahead: Ripped From The Headlines...
Next thread: WWE wrestlers get on FARK.com
Previous thread: Big Poppa Pump Signs with WWE!
(11191 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
It's too bad somebody got Scott Steiner to shutup. He is looking pretty right about almost everything.
- BigDaddyLoco, TNA: Brooke Hogan released (2013)
The W - Pro Wrestling - Good Ol' Mick... (Page 3)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.808 seconds.