The W
Views: 101561219
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
22.12.14 2110
The W - Internet & Computers - From Windows to Mac?
This thread has 17 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 5.87
Pages: 1
(789 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (12 total)
Oliver
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: Kolob

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 54 min.
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.76
I've been putting a lot of thought into what my new computer will be...since my old laptop died last month.

For the past decade plus, I've been 100% Windows...with exception of a couple of computer classes in high school, which were either DOS or Mac.

Now, I've heard a lot of people extolling the virtues of Apple's work. With that, I'll be getting a Mac soon. I do have some good questions to pose though.

1. Will the software and peripherals that I have for my Windows PC work on a Mac? In specifics, I'm thinking about SimCity 3000 and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

2. I'm not looking for the latest technology; instead, I'm seeking something that will run at the equivilent of a lower end Pentium 3. If I could get something that was almost exactly as my old laptop (which ran a AMD 3Dnow K3 processor and had 190MB of ram) I'd be quite happy.

3. After my laptop died, I took out the hard drive, in hopes to salvage the information on it. Is there a hook up that will allow me to do such on a MAc, or would I be better off doing that on a PC and burning the contents onto a CD?

4. What are Mac OS's like? The last Mac I used was waaaaaaaaaay back when Macs were in black and white. Are they more stable than Windows? What's the most recommended OS for the system, and is it easy to do the old reformat/reinstall when it's necessary? Or, for that matter...IS it necessary?

5. What's available for Web Browsers? Can I enjoy the goodness that is Mozilla on a Mac?

I do appreciate your assistance. Seeing as there aren't any dedicated Mac centres in town, and also seeing as though the Zims are knowledgeable in the subect...this was easily my first choice for information.

Thank you;

Steven



I've seen the following movies so far this year:
Coach Carter
Check out my website
Promote this thread!
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 13 hours
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.05
Guru and others,

I know some of you all have been preaching the goodness of Linux. Could he switch his OS and keep all his hardware and still use the software he loves?




The Catastrophic Annihilation War Room
"We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret, vetoing things and sending them back to the Hill!"

Oliver
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: Kolob

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 54 min.
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.76
    Originally posted by Zeruel
    Guru and others,

    I know some of you all have been preaching the goodness of Linux. Could he switch his OS and keep all his hardware and still use the software he loves?
I'm moreso interested in learning about Macs and how they work. They seem like great machines. heck, after being a Windows user for half my life, it's nice to learn a different system.

-S



I've seen the following movies so far this year:
Coach Carter
Check out my website
Mr. Boffo
Scrapple








Since: 24.3.02
From: Oshkosh, WI

Since last post: 512 days
Last activity: 472 days
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.03
I can answer a few questions just to get you started, kind of spread the answers out over a period of time.
    Originally posted by SOK
    1. Will the software and peripherals that I have for my Windows PC work on a Mac? In specifics, I'm thinking about SimCity 3000 and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

Depends. Most CDs will be hybrids, that will work with both Mac and PC. According to http://www.macgamer.com/wcgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=002319 , though, it appears you're SOL when it comes to Red Alert 2, although those posts are 3 years old, so maybe something has changed. According to http://www.insanely-great.com/reviews/sc3000.html , though, Sim City 3000 does work.
    Originally posted by SOK
    2. I'm not looking for the latest technology; instead, I'm seeking something that will run at the equivilent of a lower end Pentium 3. If I could get something that was almost exactly as my old laptop (which ran a AMD 3Dnow K3 processor and had 190MB of ram) I'd be quite happy.

    3. After my laptop died, I took out the hard drive, in hopes to salvage the information on it. Is there a hook up that will allow me to do such on a MAc, or would I be better off doing that on a PC and burning the contents onto a CD?



No comment on these.
    Originally posted by SOK

    4. What are Mac OS's like? The last Mac I used was waaaaaaaaaay back when Macs were in black and white. Are they more stable than Windows? What's the most recommended OS for the system, and is it easy to do the old reformat/reinstall when it's necessary? Or, for that matter...IS it necessary?

    5. What's available for Web Browsers? Can I enjoy the goodness that is Mozilla on a Mac?

4. Mac OS X is a stable, easy to use system. Plus, you hardly have to worry about security concerns (though this is more because it's not worth the time for the hackers to exploit a bug in the Mac's software, because the audience is so small). I'm not sure it is necessary to do the reformat-reinstall that has become so common place in Windows, but someone who has used the OS more can tell you better. You can check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/ for a tour of the new features on the next release that should give you some idea of how it looks.

5. I believe Mac OS comes with a version of IE as its default browser, but you can run Firefox, and Opera. Not sure about Netscape, or if anyone even still uses it anymore, but probably that too.



NOTE: The above post makes no sense. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
You can buy a USB laptop HD device that for under $50. This is an enclosure that you mount your laptop hard drive in. You would be able to access this via a USB connection on either a Macintosh or PC.

The Mac Mini is probably at least fast enough if you are comparing to a low end Pentium III machine. The P3 and G4 processor are about the same speed. The P4 is the same generation as the G5, basically.

You may want to head down to your local Apple store and check out the machines there. I'm not sure if you have a monitor and keyboard already so you'd have to pick those up if you only had the old laptop. If that's the case, you might want to save up and pick up the iMac.




Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
Oliver
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: Kolob

Since last post: 7 hours
Last activity: 54 min.
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.76
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    You can buy a USB laptop HD device that for under $50. This is an enclosure that you mount your laptop hard drive in. You would be able to access this via a USB connection on either a Macintosh or PC.

    The Mac Mini is probably at least fast enough if you are comparing to a low end Pentium III machine. The P3 and G4 processor are about the same speed. The P4 is the same generation as the G5, basically.

    You may want to head down to your local Apple store and check out the machines there. I'm not sure if you have a monitor and keyboard already so you'd have to pick those up if you only had the old laptop. If that's the case, you might want to save up and pick up the iMac.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's the difference between an iMac and a MacMini?

Getting a monitor isn't difficult at all; I have a few 17"ers at my disposal if need be. Would an Apple monitor be a better idea?

I'm intrigued by this - the MacOSx page looks really good.



I've seen the following movies so far this year:
Coach Carter
Check out my website
Battlezone
Potato korv








Since: 27.2.03
From: Seattle, Washington

Since last post: 2205 days
Last activity: 24 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.43
The iMac has a built-in monitor, the Mini doesn't. If you've got a monitor, keyboard and mouse already, you can add the Mini to that, and you're ready to go.

As far as browsers go, both Safari and IE are installed, but IE is craptastically slow. Firefox is also available, and it seems to work a bit better (and is more web page friendly) than Safari.





"It's the four pillars of the male heterosexual psyche. We like naked women, stockings, lesbians, and Sean Connery best as James Bond because that is what being a [man] is." -Jack Davenport, Coupling
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
Remember, it appears to take a USB keyboard and mouse. Most people have PS2 connectors on the keyboards and mice in their houses.

(edited by Guru Zim on 25.1.05 1652)


Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
DJ FrostyFreeze
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Hawthorne, CA

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 19 min.
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.95

I saw (for the first time this weekend) a 1 USB-male to 2 PS2 females adapter online. Do you think that would work with the MacMini? I cant imagine why not, but I dont know jack about Macs.



One Kool Kitty
-The Thread Killer
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
Here's a great Windows users guide to OS X built with the new mac mini user in mind. It's from a tech site, but you can get good information here even if you don't know what all of it is about.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/miniguide.ars

I love me some ars!



Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
JayJayDean
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02
From: Seattle, WA

Since last post: 7 days
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
Y!:
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.89
I have two Macs on my desk at work, and since my company just got bought out my a group that's PC-only, well, I'm already fighting the "get JJD changed over to a PC"-tide. The Mac is VERY user-friendly, and I am absolutely loathe to go to a PC instead of upgrading to a G5. (I've got a G4 with OS X and a G3 still running OS 9.) I LOVE the OS X.

That said, I'd NEVER have a Mac as my home computer, but I consider myself a pretty typical home computer-user: a little Quicken here, surf the web there, some games over there (GOOD LUCK finding Mac games, I'd say), and some light Office use.



To get ass, youve got to bring ass." -- Roy Jones Jr.

"Your input has been noted.
I hope you don't take it personally if I disregard it."
-- Guru Zim

"Speak English or face admin retribution." -- CRZ
CRZ
Big Brother
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: ミネアポリス

Since last post: 2 hours
Last activity: 1 hour
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.98
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    Here's a great Windows users guide to OS X built with the new mac mini user in mind. It's from a tech site, but you can get good information here even if you don't know what all of it is about.

    http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/miniguide.ars

    I love me some ars!
Haha you love arse



When it seems like the whole world is full of idiots,
maybe your standards are a bit high.
- Guru Zim
CRZ
Thread rated: 5.87
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: DVD Burning help
Next thread: Google intros new toy
Previous thread: Mac Mini
(789 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I do use the open source googlebar extension on all the installs I'm having the problem. Maybe that's it? I need some google bar around to help me with translations, but I'll try using the official one and see if it stops.
The W - Internet & Computers - From Windows to Mac?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.093 seconds.