I know I said I wouldn´t post here (or even watch wrestling) again, because it nowadays sucks too bad, but now I´m back for one post only! Why? Because I was wrong! It isn´t wrestling that sucks nowadays – It´s so-called sports entertainment! WWE sucks! And TNA sucks! Wrestling in general doesn´t! Why? Because I discovered ROH! RING OF HONOR! And Ring of Honor really IS wrestling! ROH has it all! Everything you nowadays miss in wrestling – ROH has it! I swear! Just try it! Give them a chance to entertain you like never before! Don´t look at the production and the “missing” glitz and glamour here and there! Look at the action in the ring! Look at the story lines! And for all those Russo haters: Enjoy the booking! I know what you are saying: I would watch it if it was on TV, but it isn´t and I don´t want to order shows by mail!
Here is your chance to give real WRESTLING a chance:
ROH is on PPV now (as most of you might already know):
"Rising Above" is set to debut on March 7th on iN DEMAND, The DISH Network and TVN cable systems. The price is really cheap as well (approx. 10 $)!
Other than that KOCH Vision will release 2 retail DVDs nationwide on April 1th for just 14:95 $ (or even less!) - Those DVDs can already be pre-ordered everywhere as well:
Ring of Honor "Bloodstained Honor" (DVD)
Fans get the ultimate dose of the bloodiest and most brutal battles in ROH history.
1. Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe in a Steel Cage - 3/13/04 (features new commentary) 2. The Second City Saints (CM Punk & Ace Steel) vs. The Prophecy (Dan Maff & BJ Whitmer) in a Chicago Street Fight- 7/24/04 (features new commentary) 3. CM Punk vs. Jimmy Rave in a Dog Collar match - 5/07/05 4. Generation Next (Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Jack Evans, & Matt Sydal) vs. The Embassy (Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley, Abyss, & Prince Nana) in Steel Cage Warfare - 12/3/05 5. Colt Cabana vs. Homicide in a Ghetto Street Fight - 2/25/06 6. Team ROH (Samoa Joe, Adam Pearce, & BJ Whitmer) vs. Team CZW (Chris Hero, Super Dragon, & Necro Butcher) - 4/22/06 7. Colt Cabana vs. Jimmy Jacobs in a Windy City Death Match - 2/24/07 8. Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe in a Boston Street Fight - 8/10/07
Ring of Honor ''Stars Of Honor'' (DVD)
"Stars Of Honor" looks at how some of wrestling best known names fared in ROH. When pro wrestlers want to showcase their skills with no restrictions and limitations they come to ROH.
1. Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk -12/4/04 (features new commentary) 2. Homicide vs. Antonio "MVP" Banks- 2/19/05 (features new commentary) 3. James (Noble) Gibson vs. Roderick Strong- 4/2/05 (features new commentary) 4. Bryan Danielson vs. Brian "Spanky" Kendrick- 4/2/05 (features new commentary) 5. Matt Hardy vs. Homicide- 8/12/05 6. Matt Hardy vs. Roderick Strong- 8/13/05 7. Christopher Daniels vs. Christian Cage- 7/29/06 8. Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal vs. Low Ki & Homicide - 8/13/05
Bonus material: 9. The History of Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk 10. Larry Sweeney confronts Bruno Sammartino 11. Mick Foley and CM Punk promo
From what I have seen, ROH - RING OF HONOR - is pretty good! But I can't order the PPVs because only 36 people in Canada ordered Man Up! But I will buy the DVDs if I can find them and if they are cheap! Because I found one by a fluke once and it was really good! However I should probably just watch the Ring of Honor shows that air on The Fight Network: I already get The Fight Network!
Given that I've been enjoying WWE a lot for the past few years, (I know it's not really in style to say that any more) especially since they've been pushing all the people the internet has been crying for them to push for years (Edge, Chavo, Punk, Rey, Jeff Hardy, Chris Benoit, Eddy Guerrero, Kennedy), as well as mainstays like HBK, Undertaker, HHH and newer guys like MVP and John Morisson etc . . . I'm not all that compelled to check out ROH . . . but I probably will at some point, for the heck of it.
For what it's worth, I'm glad you've found some wrestling that you enjoy, and I hope you keep enjoying it. =)
Not that I am in any position to criticize someone else's writing, but
1. I really really really hate - "This-is-my-last-post-ever" posts
2. I challenge your assertion that people on this board a) Don't know about ROH b) Don't write about it.
What ROH does really well is accumulate the best wrestlers and stars from a dozen feds and give them a great platform to show off their stuff against wrestlers of the same caliber.
If anything I think ROH suffers on this board because memebers are more likely to talk about the smaller feds that feed into ROH.
I am more likely to talk about IWS (Kevin Steen and El Generico)
Torchslasher and odessasteps are more likely to talk about CHIKARA and the shows held in Philly who actually let Sweeney wrestle than just talk.
3. If you want people to talk/write/post about ROH, maybe you should talk/write/post about ROH and not in a "Mormon knocking on your door" way, but write a report of the PPVs with times and results. What matches worked and why. What matches worked less well and why. Who got the best reactions. The same way that anyone would talk about Raw or Smackdown or ECW or a PPV.
Just to comment on the "rape" mention above:
Larry Sweeney is a fast-talking heel manager in ROH. One of the guys he manages is Bobby Dempsey who is working a fat guy trying to slim down gimmick. Sweeney and Chris Hero force him to do jumping jacks, search him for candy, mock him publicly, etc.
(Naturally fans at ringside are constantly sneaking Bobby food.)
What happened is that Alison Danger made her return to ROH. Sweeney decked her and then told Dempsey that the only way that he could have a woman as beautiful as Alison Danger was if she was unconscious and then he and Hero decked Dempsey/forced him on top of her. (Calling it a rape is a little exaggerated.)
As a prelude to the moment when Dempsey finally explodes it worked. The only problem is that the ROH fans cheered Sweeney and Hero. (ROH quickly disassociated themselves from the angle on their board. Which they might have been planning to do anyway since Sweeney is trying to take over ROH in the story lines.)
It is part of a general problem that it is hard in today's wrestling environment to keep people heels, because heels are cool. Larry Sweeney is great on the mike and a great heel and for that he is cheered rather than booed. Which leads to bookers making their heels do outrageous things in the hopes that they will finally get the crowd to turn on the heel. And the more outrageous the heels get the cooler they get. Vicious ugly feedback loop.
Also as long as were talking ROH, over the same weekend as the "rape" angle, my friend - Mr. Wrestling Kevin Steen (as mentioned in the ISW thread, a show that I announced for.) beat Delirious and a Japanese wrestler from NOAH called Go Shiozaki, forced Joey Matthews/Mercury to tap and also rather remarkably forced The American Dragon Brian Danielson to tap. (Danielson would be most people's pick for the best North American wrestler not currently under contract to the WWE - and is in the hunt for best North American wrestler period.)
Steen earned a future shot at the ROH Title (in April) and with El Generico he made a public challenge for the ROH tag team title belts currently held by the No Remorse Corps.
Yeah, Steen is getting the mega-push, and it's great to see. I first saw him when I went to a CZW show in 2004, and he and Hero were the two guys I remember the most from that year. In fact, Steen came back this past month to CZW as a surprise opponent for Vordell Walker.
I think Steen and Generico are a great big man/little man tag team, and Steen facial expressions and quick wit made him a favorite with tons of people. Pretty much all these indepedent wrestling groups as well as ROH had to turn or keep him a babyface because the fans are just into him.
I can't say that Steen should win the world title of course, but ROH should really think of giving him and Generico the tag belts and see if things work out.
"Put on your helmets, we'll be reaching speeds of 3!" "It was nice of you to give that dead woman another chance." "All right, look alive everybody...oh sorry Susan."- MST3K: Space Mutiny Click Here (myspace.com)