For the past seven months, I've used Firefox as my primary web browser. About a week and a half ago, I started coming across problems. Certain websites, such as NetVibes (which I used as my homepage) and MySpace weren't being displayed correctly, and certain things weren't loading on other sites as well. Additionally, once in awhile pages wouldn't load at all, and I'd have to close down and restart the browser. It was almost as if suddenly, the browser was completely unable to read certain code.
I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but that didn't work. I even upgraded to the most current version posted on their website (the latest RC released), and still ran into the same problems. It's unfortunately gotten to the point where I have to use IE, which I hate hate hate doing.
Has anyone else run into these problems with Firefox, or is this the result of something on my end? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
1. AdBlock 2. AdBlock Filterset.G Updater (keeps your AdBlock updated) 3. FasterFox (auto-tweaks some firefox settings, such as pipelining, which makes the browser operate MUCH faster) 4. ColorfulTabs (not a huge thing, but adds different colors to your tabs, which makes them easier to read and tell apart) 5. TweakNetwork (auto-tweaks network settings to boost your internet performance, at least in FF)
Also, if you're a frequent MySpace visitor, I'd highly recommend the MySpaceBar extension.
BugMeNot. One click to get a password for the NY Times website so that you don't have to register for it yourself. Or any other free but registration required website.
IE View. Some pages just won't open correctly in Firefox (movies on WWE.com for example). This adds a thing to the right click menu that says "View this Page in IE", making it easy to open non-compliant pages.
(edited by Mr. Boffo on 7.11.05 2214) In the real world, WWE believes that no matter what our race, religious creed or ethnic background in America, we all share the common bond of being Americans. American-Arabs are a part of the fabric of America, and they should be embraced by all of us.
Originally posted by Guru ZimI'm a stock guy myself - although I hear good things about the IE view.
I don't do the adblock because I can already tune them out. Pop-ups really were the only ads that got to me, and the blocker is pretty effective in Mozilla/Firefox so I'm good there.
Dunno - I'll open it to the floor for suggestions.
Are those screenshots posted yet?
No, not yet. My apologies, I got tied up after work yesterday. When I get home today, I'll post them via an edit to this post.
UPDATE: Here's the thing...Netvibes is showing up fine now, but it wasn't reading any of the tables. The MySpace issue isn't as bad, but it's still pretty annoying. I would normally chalk it up to simply different browsers reading code differently, if it weren't for the fact that a week and a half ago it was working fine. I'm also unable to access G-Mail via Firefox.
THE SHOTS: My MySpace homepage on Internet Explorer (which is also exactly how it looked on Firefox until recently) My MySpace homepage on Firefox. It's just a minor problem now, but two days ago it was almost unreadable due to the misinterpretation of the table formatting. G-Mail difficulties.
Looking at your screenshots, it appears that you have a different font selected for Firefox than you do for IE. IE appears to be using Ariel while you appear to have Times or a varient on your Firefox. Did you set your preferences to use a different font?
Originally posted by Guru ZimLooking at your screenshots, it appears that you have a different font selected for Firefox than you do for IE. IE appears to be using Ariel while you appear to have Times or a varient on your Firefox. Did you set your preferences to use a different font?
No, I just checked. Still on Arial.
Honestly, it was a much worse problem for me up until I tried posting the screen captures, but it seems to have fixed itself...to an extent. I'm still occassionally having the problem where a page won't load, and I'll have to restart Firefox to get to it. For the first couple days I just assumed it was certain sites, blaming it on the server...however, it doesn't seem to discriminate.
*shrug* Oh well. Looks like it'll have to remain a mystery.
UPDATE Nevermind, I (inadvertently) fixed it. I went to the Privacy section of Options, cleared everything (with the exception of saved passwords), and now it's not stalling out on me or displaying tables/images/text improperly. So...yeah. If you're an idiot like me and having a similar problem, save yourself some time and embarrassment and just do that.
I don't know if this plug in will work on the Windows version of Safari, but Inquisitor (inquisitorx.com) is one of the best plug-ins ever both in terms of look and functionality, and is the only thing that makes me ever use Safari over FF on my G4.