So my Macbook was destroyed. I have the drive out of it (60 GB, if that matters). I bought an USB external enclosure to use it as a slave, but apparently there are at least two different kinds of hard drives - A4 (which mine is), and something else. The enclosure I bought does not support this hard drive. Best Buy and Circuit City here apparently have nothing I can use, and I don't know enough to know if the things I'm seeing on eBay would work. Does anyone know of an enclosure that will work for me?
Originally posted by Guru ZimI've never heard of A4. Is that an Apple parts number?
I have no idea, but the guy at the Apple repair shop I took the broken laptop to told me to make sure I got the right kind of enclosure because Apple used A4 hard drives in the Macbook as opposed to (something else). I wish I had paid more attention to what he said, because now I can't get a hold of him.
I should say, it's completely possible I'm wrong about what is causing this to happen. All I know is, on the hard drive there is a sticker labeled "A4" and I heard the term "A4" come from the repair guy's mouth. The enclosure I got doesn't work - I do have the right size, 2.5 inches - so I assumed this was the problem. But maybe it's something else. Either way, I'm hoping someone here knows that the hell I'm talking about, because I sure don't.
Hey, Bucs...sorry to hear your MacBook was destroyed, and it's all good that you got the information that you requested. However...I gotta know one thing: HOW did it get destroyed? A friend of mine has one and claims it's pretty much indestructable.
I've seen FOUR movies so far this year: Because I Said So - (2*); Borat - (5*); Children Of Men - (4*); The Last Mimsy - (4*)
Originally posted by OliverHey, Bucs...sorry to hear your MacBook was destroyed, and it's all good that you got the information that you requested. However...I gotta know one thing: HOW did it get destroyed? A friend of mine has one and claims it's pretty much indestructable.
Your friend would be correct. It's a pretty tough machine. I was just a victim of a bad decision and shitty circumstance.
I was at a friend's apartment for the weekend; we went out one afternoon, and I left my computer open on a coffee table. When we got home that night, it was knocked over, along with another coffee table nearby that had two sodas on it, along with one cat hiding in the corner looking guilty as hell.
Soda spills aren't death to the Macbook, but you have to turn it off and remove the battery immediately. Because I wasn't there, I couldn't do that, and the logic board fried. I could have fixed it for $900 or so, but I just decided to buy a new one.
Well, Bill Simmons launches his own site with ESPN, but without the ESPN branding Click Here (sportsgrid.com) . They're saying 70% of the site will be sports with the other 30% being pop culture (I can see that going 50-50 really quickly though)