The W
Views: 99059684
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
20.9.14 0311
The W - Football - ESPN: Lane Kiffin to USC (Page 2)
This thread has 28 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 3.32
Pages: Prev 1 2
(567 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (32 total)
DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 11 hours
#21 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.47
    Originally posted by It's False
    Ok, I'm a casual college football fan, so I'll ask. Do coaching contracts mean ANYTHING anymore? Between Brian Kelly and Lane Kiffin, it makes me wonder if having a coach signed to a deal matters if they just wind up going wherever they want anyway.


    (edited by It's False on 12.1.10 1843)


Technically yes but in reality no. Many have clause that say if job X comes up you can leave, many have buy out clauses and a few are made to honor their contracts.

And as mad as you all are at the coaches, it's the system and the colleges could end this right now if they choose. Ain't gonna happen.



Perception is reality
BoromirMark
Potato korv








Since: 8.5.02
From: Milan-Ann Arbor, MI

Since last post: 238 days
Last activity: 238 days
AIM:  
#22 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.86
I gotta say, as crazy as this whole situation is, I'm loving it. USC and Tennessee are two of my top three most loathed schools and it's fantastic to see them in the turmoil and hardship they deserve to wallow in.

Now if Columbus, Ohio could just be removed from this plane of existence all would be well.


Seriously, though, there was student rioting at Tennessee last night? Is there any follow-up report on this? Because that's just insane. Reminds me of the fire-and-brimstone spewed by frothed-mouthed West Virginians over Rich-Rod, for no good reason.




Michigan against the SEC: 20-5-1 (7-3 in bowl games)

wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#23 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by BoromirMark

    Seriously, though, there was student rioting at Tennessee last night? Is there any follow-up report on this? Because that's just insane. Reminds me of the fire-and-brimstone spewed by frothed-mouthed West Virginians over Rich-Rod, for no good reason.


This was much more than what Rich Rod got on his way out of town from reports I've seen. There was a UT basketball player tweeting his view of the whole thing as it went on and some other students updating on message boards.

I don't think there was much destruction overall just some mattress burning but at least some mace was used by cops and maybe tear gas.

But the worst part by far, according to a walk on, as Kiffin was telling the team he was leaving, Ed O was texting the early enrollees, telling them not to go to the first day of class today so they could get out of UT and switch to USC. The EE's were in that meeting.



It's False
Scrapple








Since: 20.6.02
From: I am the Tag Team Champions!

Since last post: 11 days
Last activity: 6 hours
#24 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.35
    Originally posted by wmatistic
    But the worst part by far, according to a walk on, as Kiffin was telling the team he was leaving, Ed O was texting the early enrollees, telling them not to go to the first day of class today so they could get out of UT and switch to USC. The EE's were in that meeting.


Is there a link to that? Because I'd imagine that could lead to some sort of tampering charge. And it really wouldn't shock me to see Kiffin guilty of yet another NCAA violation.




MacGruber! Making life-saving inventions out of household materials! MacGruber! Getting in and out of ultra-sticky situations! MacGruber! The guy's a freakin' genius! MACGRUBER!

Good luck getting that theme song out of your head
wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#25 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by It's False


    Is there a link to that? Because I'd imagine that could lead to some sort of tampering charge. And it really wouldn't shock me to see Kiffin guilty of yet another NCAA violation.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPAJTGOSK00

I think we're still in the dead period, but I'm not sure. But even that means that a coach can talk to a player if the player calls him or can only talk to a player once a week or something like that. It's confusing.
Zeruel
Thirty Millionth Hit
Moderator








Since: 2.1.02
From: The Silver Spring in the Land of Mary.

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 37 min.
#26 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.30
    Originally posted by It's False
      Originally posted by wmatistic
      But the worst part by far, according to a walk on, as Kiffin was telling the team he was leaving, Ed O was texting the early enrollees, telling them not to go to the first day of class today so they could get out of UT and switch to USC. The EE's were in that meeting.


    Is there a link to that? Because I'd imagine that could lead to some sort of tampering charge. And it really wouldn't shock me to see Kiffin guilty of yet another NCAA violation.


Right now on Outside The Lines on ESPN, they were saying that according to NCAA rules that just being physically on campus will lock them in, even if they don't go to their classes today, and that now if they want to leave they'll have to start the transfer procedures.



-- 2006 Time magazine Person of the Year --

-- July 2009 Ordained Reverend --
lotjx
Scrapple








Since: 5.9.08

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 6 hours
#27 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.51
At point does the NCAA finally get some balls and start suspending coaches? Its amazing to me how people like Callepari, Kiffen, Caroll and others get their schools in trouble then quickly walk away like nothing happens. The double standard in the NCAA is so transparent now in the 24 hour media world, its laughable. I can't wait to see what the NCAA does to the USC football program after their 5 year review of Reggie Bush and other violations plus adding Mr. Recruitment Violation as their head coach. My guess is absolutely nothing.

(edited by lotjx on 13.1.10 1443)
wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#28 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by lotjx
    At point does the NCAA finally get some balls and start suspending coaches? Its amazing to me how people like Callepari, Kiffen, Caroll and others get their schools in trouble then quickly walk away like nothing happens. The double standard in the NCAA is so transparent now in the 24 hour media world, its laughable. I can't wait to see what the NCAA does to the USC football program after their 5 year review of Reggie Bush and other violations plus adding Mr. Recruitment Violation as their head coach. My guess is absolutely nothing.

    (edited by lotjx on 13.1.10 1443)


You never know if those UT "hostesses" might be more willing to talk with the NCAA now that they don't have a reason to protect Kiffin, if indeed he knew about it. The NCAA did punish that basketball coach who changed jobs for what he did at the previous one, right?

Best line I've read so far: Rocky Top you'll always be, a stepping stone to meeee!!

BigDaddyLoco
Scrapple








Since: 2.1.02

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 7 hours
#29 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.39
I didn't see this quote until now, brilliant.


On June 8, 2009, the Raiders organization issued a statement about Lane Kiffin’s hiring at Tennessee. The statement read: "Lane Kiffin is a flat-out liar. He lied to the team, he lied to the fans, and he lied to the media. He will try to destroy that university like he tried to destroy the Raiders."


wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#30 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
    Originally posted by Zeruel


    Right now on Outside The Lines on ESPN, they were saying that according to NCAA rules that just being physically on campus will lock them in, even if they don't go to their classes today, and that now if they want to leave they'll have to start the transfer procedures.


From the things I've read, the only ones insisting just being on campus counts are UT officials. Everyone else seems to agree they had to actually attend classes to be locked in and have a full time schedule as well.

DrDirt
Banger








Since: 8.10.03
From: flyover country

Since last post: 3 days
Last activity: 11 hours
#31 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.47
    Originally posted by lotjx
    At point does the NCAA finally get some balls and start suspending coaches? Its amazing to me how people like Callepari, Kiffen, Caroll and others get their schools in trouble then quickly walk away like nothing happens. The double standard in the NCAA is so transparent now in the 24 hour media world, its laughable. I can't wait to see what the NCAA does to the USC football program after their 5 year review of Reggie Bush and other violations plus adding Mr. Recruitment Violation as their head coach. My guess is absolutely nothing.

    (edited by lotjx on 13.1.10 1443)


I may be wrong but isn't the NCAA really made up of the college presidents, the ones who are creating all these problems.



Perception is reality
wmatistic
Andouille








Since: 2.2.04
From: Austin, TX

Since last post: 16 days
Last activity: 13 hours
AIM:  
#32 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.08
Muschamp said no, and now word is coming out that Calhoun has been hired at Tennessee. And Skip Holtz to USF is a done deal as well.

Chow said no to USC, so they need an offensive coordinator(unless Kiffin does it himself), UT and USF need to fill out their staffs, and ECU and Air Force need a head coach.
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread rated: 3.32
Pages: Prev 1 2
Thread ahead: Looks like USF has fired Jim Leavitt
Next thread: New York Jets 24, Cincinatti 14
Previous thread: Seahawks hire Pete Carroll
(567 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
I think those were all just speculation on some writers' parts. ABC and ESPN still have exclusive negotiating rights to the prime time match-ups for a few more months, then the others can join in and try to steal them.
Related threads: Looks like USF has fired Jim Leavitt - Mike Leach fired at Texas Tech - 2009 College Football Rankings -- Week 15 - More...
The W - Football - ESPN: Lane Kiffin to USC (Page 2)Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.124 seconds.