The W
Views: 99836071
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.10.14 2327
The W - Pro Wrestling - Edge may be a genius.
This thread has 3 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 3.75
Pages: 1
(5852 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (12 total)
Matt Tracker
Scrapple








Since: 8.5.03
From: North Carolina

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.26
In an interview on ign.com, Edge is asked about wrestlers refering to each other:


    For some reason, certain guys, you just call them their wrestling names. Christian I call Jay, because I've known him since we were kids, so he's Jay to me. Taker is Taker. And with certain guys, I'm Edge or Edge-O or Edgeward. Taker calls me Edgeward. Rey-Rey calls me Edge-O, and I call him Rey-Rey, not Oscar. It's weird. It's kind of half and half. No real rhyme or reason to it. Shane is Sugar Cane because he used to be Sugar Shane and now he's Hurricane so I just mix the two.


Sugar Cane is EXACTLY what Helms needs right now, and it's a fabulous name to boot. WWE, make that change and give the guy a chance before giving him the pink slip.



"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
Promote this thread!
Evil Buddha
Pickled pork








Since: 10.1.02
From: Somerville, MA

Since last post: 2817 days
Last activity: 2215 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.78
OK, "Sugar Cane" was Marilyn Monroe's character in "Some Like It Hot," right?
I will forever have images of Shane Helms fused with Miss Norma Jean in my brain...

Sugar Shane rapping "Happy Birthday, Mr. President"
Citizen Reporter Gregory Helms playing a ukelele
The Hurricane's, er, cape, billowing from the updraft of a subway grate...

Genius? That Edge is instead a sick, sick man who has warped me forever! Damn him and his Edge-o-sity!!!



"Naughty by Nature, Evil by Choice!"
Evil Buddha... Wrestling Fan, Bud Man
Packman V2
Bratwurst








Since: 16.3.04
From: Albuquerque, NM

Since last post: 45 days
Last activity: 12 hours
AIM:  
Y!:
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.02
    Originally posted by Matt Tracker
    In an interview on ign.com, Edge is asked about wrestlers refering to each other:


      For some reason, certain guys, you just call them their wrestling names. Christian I call Jay, because I've known him since we were kids, so he's Jay to me. Taker is Taker. And with certain guys, I'm Edge or Edge-O or Edgeward. Taker calls me Edgeward. Rey-Rey calls me Edge-O, and I call him Rey-Rey, not Oscar. It's weird. It's kind of half and half. No real rhyme or reason to it. Shane is Sugar Cane because he used to be Sugar Shane and now he's Hurricane so I just mix the two.


    Sugar Cane is EXACTLY what Helms needs right now, and it's a fabulous name to boot. WWE, make that change and give the guy a chance before giving him the pink slip.


Call him Sugar Cane, and dress him in pimp gear and come to the ring with his "hoes". What? Been done already. D'oh.





GO PACK GO!!!
Matt Tracker
Scrapple








Since: 8.5.03
From: North Carolina

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.26
    Originally posted by Packman V2
    Call him Sugar Cane, and dress him in pimp gear and come to the ring with his "hoes". What? Been done already. D'oh.


No no no. I don't want a Godfather routine, but he could work a heel-heartthrob-wannabe angle.

It's not that I think the Hurricane is a bad idea, just one that's been killed in the midcard. The shocking chokeslam is no more. We rarely see his alter ego anymore, and his sidekick Rosey managed to graduate to full-fledged superhero without the benefit of a fitting moniker. They've obviously stopped writing for the gimmick and are just using him (and them) as jobbers. Even the tease of a heel turn (takes back the kid souvenir and gets slammed by a blinded Rosey) was forgotten. And that's gonna get him fired (and watch them keep Rosey just for his size) so they can pay for another contest.

(edited by Matt Tracker on 12.11.04 0937)


"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
Spaceman Spiff
Knackwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Philly Suburbs

Since last post: 5 days
Last activity: 7 hours
AIM:  
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.05
I think his merch. sales will keep him around. Unlike a certain Mr. Jeff Hardy (who also sold a ton of merchandise), Helms isn't hopped up on painkillers (or whatever else the WWE wanted to have Hardy take a drug test for) like Hardy ALLEGEDLY was.



StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 1 day
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.59
Shane Helms will be in the mid card 4 life because he simply isnt believable as anything BUT a mid carder. I like the Hurricane, but lets be real, he isnt going over Batista or Orton or any HEADLINE guys.
Matt Tracker
Scrapple








Since: 8.5.03
From: North Carolina

Since last post: 2 days
Last activity: 14 hours
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.26
    Originally posted by StaggerLee
    Shane Helms will be in the mid card 4 life because he simply isnt believable as anything BUT a mid carder. I like the Hurricane, but lets be real, he isnt going over Batista or Orton or any HEADLINE guys.


I'm not expecting to see him win an Elimination Chamber, but I think he can contribute more to the show. When last he saw him, he lost a quick match to Christian in a bout interrupted by Edge shilling his book and character. He's quickly becoming the RAW Val Venis (as opposed to the real Val on Heat). It's a good sign that he wasn't among the first to go, but he's fallen from a cruiserwight and tag champ to a caped jabroni.



"To be the man, you gotta beat demands." -- The Lovely Mrs. Tracker
A Fan
Liverwurst








Since: 3.1.02

Since last post: 3554 days
Last activity: 3554 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.41
No offense, but they blew their chance with Hurricane after he worked with Rock. He was extremely over probably more than Batista or Orton is now. HHH after Wrestlemania came out and kicked out of all his finishers, hit one pedigree, game over. He has been stuck there since even though he sells more merchandise than half the roster and is a good wrestler. Once again, they shot themselves in the foot like they did with RVD, Kane, Booker and most of the locker room.



"All faith reguires is giving into the possibility of hope."
BigSteve
Pepperoni








Since: 23.7.04
From: Baltimore, MD

Since last post: 2838 days
Last activity: 2566 days
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.70
The Sugar Can moniker moniker would be nice, but might I first suggest that the path to ANY career rejuvenation hinges on hi going to Smackdown to be a cruiserweight contender. Otherwise, we all know he'll never get a push.
Guru Zim
SQL Dejection
Administrator








Since: 9.12.01
From: Bay City, OR

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 7 min.
AIM:  
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.81
Helms sells merchandise without investing time and advertising (a push). Why would they push him more? When his merchandise sales fall off, they will probably push him.

Jeeze. The guy is a success. He's a smaller guy who is living the life that he wants, and people support him through merchandise purchases and going to his events. The WWE isn't stupid.

If I had a store and an item was selling well without advertising it, I might advertise it once or twice, but if the sales didn't change, I would just leave it alone.

Helms is that item - they don't need to screw with his character or push him too much.



Willful ignorance of science is not commendable. Refusing to learn the difference between a credible source and a shill is criminally stupid.
sentonBOMB
Frankfurter








Since: 25.11.02
From: Jersey

Since last post: 1970 days
Last activity: 671 days
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 2.85
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    Helms sells merchandise without investing time and advertising (a push). Why would they push him more? When his merchandise sales fall off, they will probably push him.

    Jeeze. The guy is a success. He's a smaller guy who is living the life that he wants, and people support him through merchandise purchases and going to his events. The WWE isn't stupid.

    If I had a store and an item was selling well without advertising it, I might advertise it once or twice, but if the sales didn't change, I would just leave it alone.

    Helms is that item - they don't need to screw with his character or push him too much.


Part of this, I'm sure, is that he's something the kids can latch onto. He's fun, quirky, and fairly parent-and-child-friendly. There isn't a whole lot of that in wrestling anymore.
BigSteve
Pepperoni








Since: 23.7.04
From: Baltimore, MD

Since last post: 2838 days
Last activity: 2566 days
#12 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.70
    Originally posted by Guru Zim
    Helms sells merchandise without investing time and advertising (a push). Why would they push him more? When his merchandise sales fall off, they will probably push him.

    Jeeze. The guy is a success. He's a smaller guy who is living the life that he wants, and people support him through merchandise purchases and going to his events. The WWE isn't stupid.

    If I had a store and an item was selling well without advertising it, I might advertise it once or twice, but if the sales didn't change, I would just leave it alone.

    Helms is that item - they don't need to screw with his character or push him too much.


That's certainly true so i can see where you're coming from. From a business stand point it does seem to make sense, but at the same time, the other part of the equation is, has he done enough and worked hard enough to warrant a more high profile spot? It is his career, and as comfortable as he might be, I'm sure he'd like to take on a more important role in the company. Theen again, this is WWE, so guys that deserve a push often don't get one.
Thread rated: 3.75
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: DVDVR RAOD REPORT: NWA-VA, Richond 11/13/2004
Next thread: Roddy Piper becomes a stand up comic/commentator
Previous thread: More WWE Releases
(5852 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
PAS: This show really killed my spirit, really awful stuff. Boring and slow What Worked TKG: Victoria's clam. PAS: Val Venis is really good at carrying overpushed second generation wrestlers.
The W - Pro Wrestling - Edge may be a genius.Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.37 seconds.