The W
Views: 101453684
Main | FAQ | Search: Y! / G | Calendar | Color chart | Log in for more!
19.12.14 1945
The W - Basketball - Do you find Tim Duncan boring?
This thread has 17 referrals leading to it
Register and log in to post!
Thread rated: 4.20
Pages: 1
(867 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
User
Post (11 total)
Kawshen
Liverwurst








Since: 2.1.02
From: Bronx, NY

Since last post: 2016 days
Last activity: 276 days
AIM:  
#1 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.29
OK - I was just having a discussion with a Spur fan. And while he was berating my poor Knicks (damn him), he was also taking me to task for calling his team's star player "RoboTim".

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Tim Duncan. He's a phenomenal big man that prides himself on the fundamentals of the game; he makes his teammates better and he's a likeable character guy. And, while he gets the job done (and he's got the rings and the MVP title to prove it), he just seems to do it so formulaic and methodical that he comes off like... well, a robot.

Just my 2 cents on the Big Fundamental - that's all. :)



Promote this thread!
Jaguar
Knackwurst








Since: 23.1.02
From: Phoenix, AZ

Since last post: 256 days
Last activity: 57 days
#2 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.02
I'd agree with you. He never seems to do anything too flashy. Blocks, dunks, whatever, it's all in the most routine way possible. He gets the job done, but he doesn't have much in the way of pizzazz.

-Jag



Setting the world on fire with a heart full of anger and a fist full of lead.
StaggerLee
Scrapple








Since: 3.10.02
From: Right side of the tracks

Since last post: 1 day
Last activity: 1 day
#3 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.99
Yeah, he's boring to watch, but, would you trade him for Vince Carter?

Dunks arent everything.
pieman
As young as
he feels








Since: 11.12.01
From: China, Maine

Since last post: 15 days
Last activity: 1 day
AIM:  
ICQ:  
Y!:
#4 Posted on | Instant Rating: 8.67

    Originally posted by Jaguar
    I'd agree with you. He never seems to do anything too flashy. Blocks, dunks, whatever, it's all in the most routine way possible. He gets the job done, but he doesn't have much in the way of pizzazz.

    -Jag


The same thing would have been said about Bill Russell back in the 1960s, too. Russell and his eleven rings.



Gabba gabba hey!
Grimis
Scrapple








Since: 11.7.02
From: MD

Since last post: 1327 days
Last activity: 1123 days
#5 Posted on | Instant Rating: 7.29
    Originally posted by pieman
    The same thing would have been said about Bill Russell back in the 1960s, too. Russell and his eleven rings.
And Duncan already has two.

There is nothing boring about winning...especially if it's your team.



JoshMann
Andouille








Since: 17.11.03
From: Tallahassee, FL

Since last post: 2349 days
Last activity: 2347 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#6 Posted on | Instant Rating: 5.62
    Originally posted by Grimis
    There is nothing boring about winning...especially if it's your team.


The New Jersey Devils could very well be the exception to this rule.


EDIT: Then again, I spent years watching those Heat-Knicks playoff games where the average score was 72-70, so there is something to be said for me watching (and supporting) teams that use defense as a primary weapon.



(edited by Blanket Jackson on 18.2.05 1545)

"It's wicker propelled by fire!"

BOSsportsfan34
Pepperoni








Since: 2.1.03
From: MA

Since last post: 106 days
Last activity: 2 days
AIM:  
Y!:
#7 Posted on | Instant Rating: 3.32
    Originally posted by Kawshen
    OK - I was just having a discussion with a Spur fan. And while he was berating my poor Knicks (damn him), he was also taking me to task for calling his team's star player "RoboTim".

    Now, don't get me wrong, I like Tim Duncan. He's a phenomenal big man that prides himself on the fundamentals of the game; he makes his teammates better and he's a likeable character guy. And, while he gets the job done (and he's got the rings and the MVP title to prove it), he just seems to do it so formulaic and methodical that he comes off like... well, a robot.

    Just my 2 cents on the Big Fundamental - that's all. :)


You'd love to have him on the Knicks, robotic or not.





Isiah's Finest
ekedolphin
Scrapple








Since: 12.1.02
From: Indianapolis, IN; now residing in Suffolk, VA

Since last post: 184 days
Last activity: 22 days
#8 Posted on | Instant Rating: 4.52
I'd love to have him on the Pacers, too, although I wouldn't trade Jermaine O'Neal for him. Move Duncan to center and keep JO at power forward, there ya go.




“The price is wrong, bitch!”

--Happy Gilmore to Bob Barker, Happy Gilmore

Four-Time Wiener of the Day (5/27/02; 7/3/02; 7/30/04; 8/28/04)

Certified RFMC Member-- Ask To See My Credentials!

Quezzy
Knackwurst








Since: 6.1.02
From: Pittsburgh, PA

Since last post: 4 days
Last activity: 1 day
#9 Posted on | Instant Rating: 6.25
I don't find him boring at all, I think someone with some actual skills is exciting. People like Vince Carter who can only dunk are boring, i can see that about 3,523 times every day on Sportscenter.



Lance's Response:

THAT IS AWESOME!
j9479
Chorizo








Since: 29.1.03
From: the suburbs

Since last post: 2438 days
Last activity: 1245 days
#10 Posted on | Instant Rating: 1.00
to answer the question, i do find duncan boring; it's not that i do not respect the guy, or view his success in positive ways, but i find that when i see him and the Spurs in general get into the finals i watch less basketball, if for nothing else than the fact that while the fundamentals are important, there is something to be said for flash...



avonhun
Cotechino








Since: 21.4.04

Since last post: 3355 days
Last activity: 3318 days
AIM:  
#11 Posted on | Instant Rating: 0.87
his style is boring but he does have his moments. the shot he hit in the playoffs against the lakers right before derek fischer's miracle would have been played over and over again had they won the championship. i have to say parker and ginobli make up for duncans lack of creativity on the court.
Thread rated: 4.20
Pages: 1
Thread ahead: Report: C-Web to Sixers
Next thread: Report: Carlos Boozer traded to the Lakers
Previous thread: Detroit Pistons - The Ultimate Team
(867 newer) Next thread | Previous thread
Eh, considering the Clippers have been a really bad team and therefore usually get pretty good draft position, I figure it had to happen eventually.
Related threads: Undertaker/Spurs connection - Spurs vs. Nets - WE BEAT L.A.! - More...
The W - Basketball - Do you find Tim Duncan boring?Register and log in to post!

The W™ message board

ZimBoard
©2001-2014 Brothers Zim

This old hunk of junk rendered your page in 0.103 seconds.